Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2023, 17:12   #1
BHPian

What Scooter for a large guy beginning his career?

Hi Esteemed Members,

This is my first post and I am not sure whether the post is right or not. To give a short introduction, I recently completed my MBA and post that I have been placed in a software company in south Chennai. Its been 3 months and I have been traveling to and fro from the office using Rapido and occasional Ola. With the ever demanding unfair prices by autos over and above the price quoted on aggregators application, I have finally made up my mind to bite the bullet and buy a scooter.

I am not a newbie, have been driving for 6 years and riding for around 10 years in my hometown Delhi. Now after settling down in my current role in the company I feel now is the right time to get myself a commuter machine.

I am more inclined towards Honda Active 125 Disc and Alloy variant. Is there anything else I should look at. Mind you I am a large guy and my previous ride was also a 2015 Honda Activa 125 and its sheer reliability is taking me back to Honda showroom. Any additional opinions are valued.

Also I am legit a newbie in buying and this is gonna be my first big ticket purchase. Kindly please guide me how to negotiate, what all components should I put through eye on with respect to on road and other price components. And where all can I save a cent or two.

All in all I am looking for guidance, I will be grateful to hear the thoughts and learn. Thanks all and happy motoring!
kaak009 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Re: What Scooter for a large guy beginning his career?

First of all, congratulations on your career and the decision to purchase a scooter!

Since you have a preference for the Honda Activa 125, you're already on the right track. Speaking of reliability, you can confidently opt for the Activa 125; it's known for its dependability. Additionally, considering your stature, I recommend looking into the Suzuki Burgman Street 125 for its comfort. If budget allows, the Yamaha Aerox 155 is worth considering as well. It offers sufficient power for your weekend-long rides.

Have you also considered exploring motorcycles? A Bullet would be a fantastic choice.
raptor_diwan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

You haven't specified how 'large' you are. If you are above average, then Burgman 125 is the biggest 125cc scooter. Activa 125 too is a good choice, especially the newly launched H smart version with keyless entry looks good. It is bot smaller than Burgman. I have latest Burgman 125 e20 version, and feel that Activa 125 is more smooth and more advanced in features. Bit the size advantage of Burgman is undeniable.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 15:29   #4
BHPian

I am a big advocate of ABS on two wheelers. Your options are limited to Aprilia/ Vespa and Aerox.

Used Aprilia would be a good choice. You can get less run scooter in 70-80K range.

Fuel efficiency though would hover around 25-35 kmpl.
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 15:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

May I suggest for overall safety, all weather comfort and general peace of mind, that you consider a relatively inexpensive, used small hatchback instead.
I too started my career in Chennai long ago and even then, I really couldnt wait to graduate from my bike to a car. In todays world with the traffic and grime and smoke and heat and humidity etc, I feel you’d be happier in a car.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 17:23   #6
BHPian

Riding a Honda Aviator from the last 8 years, I can confirm that Honda knows how to make scooters. Still don't get bored of riding it, it's the best for zipping around and making your way in tight traffic smoothly. Maintenance and reliability is top notch - take care of the basics and you'll never have to worry about anything ever again.

Being a larger guy myself at 6'3, I had no choice in maxi scooters even though I wanted them when I was buying but today there are at least 2 alternates I would suggest you to take a casual test ride at least as they might change your opinions.

Suzuki Burgman - I have ridden this extensively as one of my close friend bought it on my suggestion and is extremely happy with it, despite being skeptical of its dimensions. It's mostly plastic anyway and weight is on par with normal scooters so no big deal. Performance is surprisingly good, refined engine for city usage and can hold decent highway speeds too for long-ish rides. Wouldn't recommend touring on scooters though. We're not there yet. Only downside is puny tires do not inspire much confidence, but that can be an acceptable compromise if purely used majorly for city and comfort oriented usage. Those headlamps are brilliant as well.

Aprilia SXR 125/160 - Haven't ridden it yet but I get tempted to check it out. I don't want to because I'm afraid a new upgrade itch will begin when the Aviator is running just fine. Visually, it looked smaller to me in person than in photos however has high performing engine, although on the pricier side. Also, reviews keep mentioning that the ride is hard. However, since it has 125cc option as well, you can consider that too depending on your budget.

Coming to your original pick, the Activa 125 is an excellent pick, no doubt and I won't discourage you from buying it however I would like you to form your opinions after sampling these two as well.
Boringrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 09:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Size is something you'll have to check for each specific scooter and so is the ride comfort.

Some points are :
- Honda Activa 125 : you know better
- Suzuki Access/Burgman/Avenis : better performance and acceleration, probably better headlights
- TVS Jupiter 125 : largest storage and adjustable rear suspension
- TVS NTorq : excellent performance, stiffer/sportier suspension, check for comfort
- Yamaha Aerox : excellent performance, stiff rear, check for comfort

If into EVs do check out the Ather and iQube.

Last edited by shancz : 14th August 2023 at 09:05. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 12:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned you are a large person I feel the Suzuki Burgman 125 EX will fit you the best. The new EX version has 12” wheels at both ends. The “normal” Burgman has a 12” front and 10” rear. The Aprilia SXR 160 may also fit you well, not SR, the SXR.

I believe the above two should fit you better than the Activa or any other scooter. You could be cramped on the Aerox. Of course do check out all options and take a test ride before finalising anything.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 16:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaak009 View Post
And where all can I save a cent or two.
Whatever product you choose, take an independent quote from any online insurance aggregators like policybazar/coverfox etc. The dealer provided insurance quote is invariably inflated, and you can easily shave off 10-15% or more from it by getting the insurance yourself or asking the dealer to match the lower quote.
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 23:14   #10
BHPian

Thanks a lot! I truly want to look towards Aerox but being new to the earning role isn't letting me go towards that. But surely I will take a joyride :P
Old 14th August 2023, 23:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
First of all, congratulations on your career and the decision to purchase a scooter!

Since you have a preference for the Honda Activa 125, you're already on the right track. Speaking of reliability, you can confidently opt for the Activa 125; it's known for its dependability. Additionally, considering your stature, I recommend looking into the Suzuki Burgman Street 125 for its comfort. If budget allows, the Yamaha Aerox 155 is worth considering as well. It offers sufficient power for your weekend-long rides.

Thanks a lot! I truly want to look towards Aerox but since it is literally the beginning of my career I can't afford it if that makes sense. I have used 125 for like 7 years so that is high up on my list

Have you also considered exploring motorcycles? A Bullet would be a fantastic choice.
I sure want to but my dad is highly against bikes. I sure will take that up in my next upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion though, that is the need my heart has for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
You haven't specified how 'large' you are. If you are above average, then Burgman 125 is the biggest 125cc scooter. Activa 125 too is a good choice, especially the newly launched H smart version with keyless entry looks good. It is bot smaller than Burgman. I have latest Burgman 125 e20 version, and feel that Activa 125 is more smooth and more advanced in features. Bit the size advantage of Burgman is undeniable.
I am a bit confused whether to go for the H smart since the difference is like 5k but all I get is a type of central locking, was thinking for the regular alloy plus disc combo. Do you feel H smart is worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
I am a big advocate of ABS on two wheelers. Your options are limited to Aprilia/ Vespa and Aerox.

Used Aprilia would be a good choice. You can get less run scooter in 70-80K range.

Fuel efficiency though would hover around 25-35 kmpl.
Trust me I am a big safety first advocate. Back in 2017 when my dad wanted a Creta I was a firm believer of Ecosport only because of the safety. I sure will consider your opinion its just Vespa's long term reliability I ain't sure about. Plus the limited service centers and the lack of any Vespa's around my locality is putting me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
May I suggest for overall safety, all weather comfort and general peace of mind, that you consider a relatively inexpensive, used small hatchback instead.
I too started my career in Chennai long ago and even then, I really couldnt wait to graduate from my bike to a car. In todays world with the traffic and grime and smoke and heat and humidity etc, I feel you’d be happier in a car.
I am more of a driver than a rider, and nothing will give me pure joy than a 2014 ivtech City. But since this is my kind of first corporate stint, I want to stay away from a car as you may never know when I have to pack my bags and head home and a 2014 vehicle would be obsolete in the capital. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringrider View Post
Riding a Honda Aviator from the last 8 years, I can confirm that Honda knows how to make scooters. Still don't get bored of riding it, it's the best for zipping around and making your way in tight traffic smoothly. Maintenance and reliability is top notch - take care of the basics and you'll never have to worry about anything ever again.

I resonate with you, I too have been riding my Activa 125 in Delhi for past 7 years. The mid range punch is truly exceptional. Honda despite being pricey is the best bet when one wants no non sense machinery! Cheers to you!

Being a larger guy myself at 6'3, I had no choice in maxi scooters even though I wanted them when I was buying but today there are at least 2 alternates I would suggest you to take a casual test ride at least as they might change your opinions.

Suzuki Burgman - I have ridden this extensively as one of my close friend bought it on my suggestion and is extremely happy with it, despite being skeptical of its dimensions. It's mostly plastic anyway and weight is on par with normal scooters so no big deal. Performance is surprisingly good, refined engine for city usage and can hold decent highway speeds too for long-ish rides. Wouldn't recommend touring on scooters though. We're not there yet. Only downside is puny tires do not inspire much confidence, but that can be an acceptable compromise if purely used majorly for city and comfort oriented usage. Those headlamps are brilliant as well.

Aprilia SXR 125/160 - Haven't ridden it yet but I get tempted to check it out. I don't want to because I'm afraid a new upgrade itch will begin when the Aviator is running just fine. Visually, it looked smaller to me in person than in photos however has high performing engine, although on the pricier side. Also, reviews keep mentioning that the ride is hard. However, since it has 125cc option as well, you can consider that too depending on your budget.

Coming to your original pick, the Activa 125 is an excellent pick, no doubt and I won't discourage you from buying it however I would like you to form your opinions after sampling these two as well.
I am looking towards Burgman but not the top variant, that gets me to SXR range and I honestly not that confident to take that big of a plunge right at the beginning of the career. My heart desires a Aprilia but wallet gets the better of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Size is something you'll have to check for each specific scooter and so is the ride comfort.

Some points are :
- Honda Activa 125 : you know better
- Suzuki Access/Burgman/Avenis : better performance and acceleration, probably better headlights
- TVS Jupiter 125 : largest storage and adjustable rear suspension
- TVS NTorq : excellent performance, stiffer/sportier suspension, check for comfort
- Yamaha Aerox : excellent performance, stiff rear, check for comfort

If into EVs do check out the Ather and iQube.
I am not a fan of TVS, probably the perception in my mind ain't right. Still will look towards since you mentioned. What harm a test drive can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Since you mentioned you are a large person I feel the Suzuki Burgman 125 EX will fit you the best. The new EX version has 12” wheels at both ends. The “normal” Burgman has a 12” front and 10” rear. The Aprilia SXR 160 may also fit you well, not SR, the SXR.

I believe the above two should fit you better than the Activa or any other scooter. You could be cramped on the Aerox. Of course do check out all options and take a test ride before finalising anything.

Thanks for the suggestion my hear wants the SXR but surely wallet differs

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
Whatever product you choose, take an independent quote from any online insurance aggregators like policybazar/coverfox etc. The dealer provided insurance quote is invariably inflated, and you can easily shave off 10-15% or more from it by getting the insurance yourself or asking the dealer to match the lower quote.
Sure I will keep the point in mind, in today's age dealers are known to quote exorbitant insurance numbers. Thanks for the advise!
kaak009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Definitely take a look at the burgman. People are suggesting Aprilia but they are too small scooters
Burgman_tales is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 12:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaak009 View Post
I

I am not a fan of TVS, probably the perception in my mind ain't right. Still will look towards since you mentioned. What harm a test drive can do

!
Hi, we own both Honda Aviator and TVS Jupiter. I would say Jupiter scores high in terms of mileage, pickup, after sales service, cost of spares as well as waiting time at service stations. Reliability both are on par. Ride quality and balance Jupiter is better. Aviator has better looks and posture, it suits taller drivers more than Jupiter.
Just don't rule out TVS, test drive both Jupiter 125 and Ntoq then take call.
gck_tourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Hello @kaak009,

Many congratulations for your exciting career.
I would strongly suggest you Suzuki Burgmann- lovely and very comfortable seating with good seat support, relaxed driving position, good suspension and ride quality.

Pl go for a test drive before finalizing. You should like it.

Happy hunting

Cheers
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 13:48   #15

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hi, I own a a Honda Activa 125 disc it’s been 3 years with the machine for reliability and after sales service you cannot go wrong with HONDA.
Honda Activa 125’s ISS (Idle start stop) it works like a magic, it’s saves you a lot on fuel.
In my opinion you should go for Honda Activa 125, And do check which company have best/good after sales service at Chennai, Which will help you take the decision.
MAMOTH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks