Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 17:24   #1381
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post

The Scram is definitely tall reminding me again how inseam is the critical parameter, especially when the rider seat is wide.
Not just the inseam length or the width of the seat, but as I've found to my chagrin, the amount of extra tissue on the underthighs and glutes can also make a lot of difference. I was initially puzzled why I had difficulty flatfooting on both sides on a 790-800mm seat, with my 30" inseam.

On the other hand, installing pullback risers allowed me to sit upright while stationary, which meant that pushing the bike forward with my feet was easier. Pushing it back on uneven ground is a different story.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:30   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Speed suspension is definitely very plush. Haven't ridden the newer one yet.

Have we started scoping out the market for the old Himalayan replacement?

Cheers, Doc
Haha...the oldie is doing wonderfully on my longish commutes to office right now!

Times are a-changin' and no time like the present to get another motorcycle no? (I know I'm telling the last person on earth who will agree to that though )

To the point, this vehicle definitely has a premium looking feel to it. And the Scrambler, premium + large. Also, I believe the brakes on the Scram are non-sintered - massive difference between them both. I would replace it almost immediately with whatever is on the Speed. That had a good bite.

1.5 months for delivery. The Whitefield showroom was full of Speed 400s awaiting delivery.

3.1L on road for the Speed in Bangalore.
3.46L for the 400X. Not bad for the promise. Evidently too early to call reliability and all that but we'll know soon.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 17th November 2023 at 22:34.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:35   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Haha...the oldie is doing wonderfully on my longish commutes to office right now!

3.1L on road for the Speed in Bangalore.
3.46L for the 400X. Not bad for the promise. Evidently too early to call reliability and all that but we'll know soon.
My personal opinion, the Speed is a much sweeter looking bike. Compact. Lighter. Playful.

Come to think of it, in 30+ years of riding, never once have I owned a bike with different sized wheels.

All the best with whatever you choose!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:55   #1384

The parts/spares availability is not in a good place. Here they take over 13 days just to replace an oil seal. To top it off, they also managed to drop the bike

Do they spend 0/- on training these so called authorised service personnel ?

Carfool_Wheeler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 08:46   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfool_Wheeler View Post
The parts/spares availability is not in a good place. Here they take over 13 days just to replace an oil seal. To top it off, they also managed to drop the bike

Do they spend 0/- on training these so called authorised service personnel ?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pU9nzPwEHiM
More reason to install aftermarket crash guards. The company themselves, still have no lower engine guards or sump guard accessory stock. No ETA provided by asc staff.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 17:59   #1386

This is a nice elaborate review of the Triumph Speed 400... thanks!

I looked it up so that I could post my initial impression of the bike based on the short test ride that I did have.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230916_210213_987.jpg

So current on road cost (Sep 2023) is ₹ 288183 which is pretty reasonable for a 400 cc ~40 bhp bike. Delivery is estimated to be in 28 days post booking and no issues with availability of either of the colours.

The blue colour tank looks really special in my opinion as compared to the others.

I was happy to see that almost all the Speed 400s in the showroom were shod with Apollo Alpha H1s... Really awesome tyres as compared to the MRFs

First impressions:

1) The tank is a lot bigger than what we can perceive via pics / videos and you have to stretch your arms a bit to hold the handle bars.

2) The instrument cluster is simple and easy to read even when riding.

3) I'm not so enthusiastic about the bar end mirrors but they do the job well (of providing an excellent rear view)

4) The bike is supposed to have a 790 mm seat height. Though I was not as flat footed sitting on it as I had hoped.

5) The seat is soft and mushy, especially as compared to KTMs. While it feels comfortable at start, I'm not so sure that it will stay comfortable over longer rides.

6) The bike is 170 kgs and you can feel the weight when riding (especially for me coming from a KTM) but it's pretty flickable in city traffic.

7) Finally, the engine and power delivery. Though 400 cc and 40 ps but the power delivery felt a bit sluggish and in line with the intended competition for the bike, i.e. the RE Meteor 350 and the Honda H'ness.

I'm sure it will perform better than both these bikes, however I've always been an adrenaline junkie and this bike doesn't produce power in the same aggressive fashion as the KTMs!! 😁
dwanderlustdrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 19:01   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanderlustdrv View Post
I'm sure it will perform better than both these bikes, however I've always been an adrenaline junkie and this bike doesn't produce power in the same aggressive fashion as the KTMs!! 😁
I really liked the feel of the handlebar on this one for some vague reason. Wondering how it would feel transplanted on to a Duke 390.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I am less than enthusiastic about barend mirrors. Up on proper stalks and shoulder width traditionally for me please. Don't need the added retraining of one more thing in terms of muscle memory and instinctive scanning.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 22:41   #1388
Senior - BHPian

The bike has full protection, and yet the tank was damaged he says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
More reason to install aftermarket crash guards. The company themselves, still have no lower engine guards or sump guard accessory stock. No ETA provided by asc staff.
Old 18th November 2023, 23:50   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
And the first issue has cropped up

Since last 2-3 days, whenever I switch on the ignition, the console remains off and I cannot crank the engine. After 3-4 attempts on On-Off, the console comes up but then the traction off and ABS light remains on (with service indicator flashing) even after I ride it for 50meters. Odo is at 480 odd KMs as of now.

I will book an appointment today and will keep the thread updated.
This was cause of a lose contact in the ignition. They fixed it in no time and installed latest update. This new update comes from Scrambler as I can see off road mode now after TTCon setting
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 07:24   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
This was cause of a lose contact in the ignition. They fixed it in no time and installed latest update. This new update comes from Scrambler as I can see off road mode now after TTCon setting
Do you mean the ABS is now switchable?
Old 19th November 2023, 22:40   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
I've bought an Autofy cover for "all bikes up to RE Bullet size", which just about fits the bike. I got it shortly after the bikes started to get delivered, so exact fitting options were not available. It may have changed now.
Thanks for this reply davelok.

Autofy did have a lot of positive reviews but I went ahead and took the risk to buy a Solimo cover since it was significantly cheaper at 320/- LINK.

Turns out it fits perfectly (not the mirrors of course). I recommend it to anyone who needs a simple cover for the bike.
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 09:55   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
Do you mean the ABS is now switchable?
I now have Off-road mode which I can set to ON/OFF. When its set to OFF, TC off and ABS lights up on console. The lights remain on even while riding which I suppose mean they are now off. However, not sure if ABS is off only for rear tyre or in general. On Scrambler, I remember reviewers saying ABS can be set off only for rear, which makes sense.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 20th November 2023 at 09:56.
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 12:27   #1393

Quote:
I now have Off-road mode which I can set to ON/OFF. When its set to OFF, TC off and ABS lights up on console. The lights remain on even while riding which I suppose mean they are now off.
This is suggesting that switchable ABS is just a software lock and this is most definitely an error on the service center for installing the wrong software on your bike. But hey, you have something to brag about now

Quote:
However, not sure if ABS is off only for rear tyre or in general. On Scrambler, I remember reviewers saying ABS can be set off only for rear, which makes sense.
Yes it's only the rear ABS that is switchable. Not sure if it actually gets disabled on your bike or just displaying on the console. I guess the only way to find out is to try and lock up the rear xD.
adarsh14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 13:25   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
This is suggesting that switchable ABS is just a software lock and this is most definitely an error on the service center for installing the wrong software on your bike. But hey, you have something to brag about now
Given for Scrambler it was just a setting you can change anytime, this has to be the SW thing. The technician worked on my bike seemed to know stuff and I doubt he flashed wrong update given both the bikes have visual differences .

May be owners with latest S400 (Not more than a week or two old) can comment if they have the same setting available on their bike.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 15:58   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Given for Scrambler it was just a setting you can change anytime, this has to be the SW thing. The technician worked on my bike seemed to know stuff and I doubt he flashed wrong update given both the bikes have visual differences .

May be owners with latest S400 (Not more than a week or two old) can comment if they have the same setting available on their bike.
If it's the wrong software, it might have affected how your mileage is being counted, because the Scrambler has a larger front wheel. I guess both bikes would have different calibration for mileage readings coming from the front wheel.
davelok is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed