Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 11:37   #1366
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Has the official triumph visor/flyscreen price increased? I remember it being 769inr and now it's 2241inr. Visor Holder is 404inr. Number plate holder is 86inr. At that price it makes no sense as the visor is more aesthetic than functional.
Shocking if true! I've ordered the bigger one from Carbon Racing for (Edit: Rs. 2,649) including shipping.

Quote:
Also for those looking for handlebar risers- get the Speed 400x handlebar and clutch cable. Get the same fixed by Triumph asc. Better than carbon racing or any other brand. I got the Carbon racing pullback riser installed at the asc and it's ok BUT the scrambler mod is much better. One gets ZERO customer support from carbon racing(CR). No email, Whatsapp or phone support. No longer cable either from CR (plus extra shipping charge) and they misguide us saying no rerouting/new cable required. No installation guidance support or manual was offered by CR.
I self-installed the CR pullback risers. While it's made riding the bike easier, I am always worried about the lack of play in the front brake and clutch cables, which tugs them tight when the handlebar is turned to the extreme right or left. How much did you pay for the Scrambler X handlebar and clutch cable (edit: I saw you mentioned the cable price)?

Quote:
We can try the Scrambler's footpegs as well. Seems a bit forward oriented with more rubber. Should be comfier.
Are these footpegs longer? I'm a bit concerned about losing my footing when saddling with the stock footpegs.

Last edited by davelok : 16th November 2023 at 12:01. Reason: Price update
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:16   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
Shocking if true! I've ordered the bigger one from Carbon Racing for Rs. 2,8xx.

I self-installed the CR pullback risers.How much did you pay for the Scrambler X handlebar and clutch cable?

Are these footpegs longer? I'm a bit concerned about losing my footing when saddling with the stock footpegs.
The clutch cable cost only 429inr. I'll check the bill. The footpegs are a bit longer, angled and lower set as seen on the scrambler. Wider with thicker rubber with forward displacement compared to stock 400 pegs. May need to change stock brake lever to accommodate this change. I'll have to check those.

I tried self installing the riser; found it difficult without pulling the cable too much. Please change the clutch cable. Should cost 150inr (a unit of 30mins I think) for labour max. Unless the dealer is greedy. I didn't enquire the cost of the 400x stock handlebar as I was in a hurry then. But it should mirror Bajaj pricing based on the clutch cable cost. So it may cost 2-2.5k for the entire setup.

The crash guards and tail rack by Bandidos pitstop (legendary brand) looks neat btw.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th December 2023 at 18:13. Reason: Clean up edits.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:20   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
Regarding the handlebar risers, I am not confident of the risers that changes intreface between the handle bar and the triple tree mounts from the factory. Would prefer the stem risers that keep the stock interface. Like the ones in the image, think the duke ones might also fit the speed 400 check once. I have similar stem risers on my adventure 390, they are bit squarish and mounts a bit differently.
Yes, primarily these type of stem risers are hard to change or install. I had these on my Dominar400 and changed to zana pullback risers for comfort. But I feel these should be more sturdy. I like the Rox type angle risers personally (but at 9k inr doesn't make sense for this bike).
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:30   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
So I checked with my friend where he got them he passed the amazon link and contact
+91 78997 78200
https://amzn.eu/d/iEgPIjN
Hope it helps
Thanks for the link!

Is this a DIY job with basic tools? Also, will the rivets or screws be an issue with DIY? I've never worked with rivets, so not very sure. And is this mount sufficient or will it require anything more?
Old 16th November 2023, 12:43   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Triumph guys are plain lying if they are saying they are unaware of the issue. I personally visited Jaipur and Delhi Triumph and spoke to the Mumbai one over the phone about this problem. It is a well-documented issue around the world. I am glad that your bike is under warranty though so no need to worry.
Yes, I'm taking their words with a grain of salt. Yesterday I asked for an update and was told they repaired the key to the bike's immobilizer and would observe if the issue persists. And indeed it did. Today morning I received a call from my service advisor informing me they got approval for an immobilizer replacement and would proceed with the same. Nothing was mentioned about changing the key set though so I'm not a 100% sure about the details.
Old 16th November 2023, 13:32   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
Thanks for the link!

Is this a DIY job with basic tools? Also, will the rivets or screws be an issue with DIY? I've never worked with rivets, so not very sure. And is this mount sufficient or will it require anything more?
I had to get rivets removed to put the metal frame on my number plate. You can DIY if you have a drill with the right bits (might need 5mm bits, not sure). It is straightforward but I didnt have a drill so I went to an FNG to get it done.
lazyrev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 14:09   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
I had to get rivets removed to put the metal frame on my number plate. You can DIY if you have a drill with the right bits (might need 5mm bits, not sure). It is straightforward but I didnt have a drill so I went to an FNG to get it done.
Got it! I do have a drill, just not sure whether I'd have the right bits, but I'll check. Thank you!
Old 16th November 2023, 15:10   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
Yes, I'm taking their words with a grain of salt. Yesterday I asked for an update and was told they repaired the key to the bike's immobilizer and would observe if the issue persists. And indeed it did. Today morning I received a call from my service advisor informing me they got approval for an immobilizer replacement and would proceed with the same. Nothing was mentioned about changing the key set though so I'm not a 100% sure about the details.
See there are three elements to this - The RFID chip-enabled key, the ignition switch which has RFID sensors, and the immobilizer which is attached to the ECU. In layman's language - If the correct key is inserted then the ignition switch will let the immobilizer know that we are good to go and immobilizer turns itself off thus allowing ECU to function as it is designed. If any of the components in this process fails to function, the ECU wont let anything work. In my case it was the RFID antenna wire which was damaged and hence the ignition system did not recognise my key to be legitimate. IMHO the immobiliser doesnt give away this early so Triumph is just lying about it but again verify for yourself and make sure they dont experiment on you like they usually do.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 17:06   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
The pullback riser virtue of this design negates a bit of the rise btw. As in, it doesn't increase the height as much as advertised; the handlebar rests in a slope. They hadn't thought this through. I bought it as there weren't many options.
I think the pull back risers are working as intended. Even I had a lot of doubts on what does a normal riser and pull back riser do. When reasearch came across this video. It's very scientific and informative when installing risers.

Regarding your idea of installing a scrambler handle, sounds very tempting. Please do let us know if it works and how much it costs. Would love to do that instead of having risers on.
sk_cheek13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 11:15   #1375
Senior - BHPian

And the first issue has cropped up

Since last 2-3 days, whenever I switch on the ignition, the console remains off and I cannot crank the engine. After 3-4 attempts on On-Off, the console comes up but then the traction off and ABS light remains on (with service indicator flashing) even after I ride it for 50meters. Odo is at 480 odd KMs as of now.

I will book an appointment today and will keep the thread updated.
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 12:16   #1376
BHPian

Has anyone managed to find a decently priced parking cover for the Speed 400?
I would have been fine with those universal ones on amazon but for the bar end mirrors. Not sure it will fit.
Old 17th November 2023, 12:46   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Has anyone managed to find a decently priced parking cover for the Speed 400?
I would have been fine with those universal ones on amazon but for the bar end mirrors. Not sure it will fit.
I've bought an Autofy cover for "all bikes up to RE Bullet size", which just about fits the bike. I got it shortly after the bikes started to get delivered, so exact fitting options were not available. It may have changed now.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 15:16   #1378
BHPian

Any news on centre stand as an accessory for Speed400. I am not able to find anything online.
Old 17th November 2023, 16:11   #1379
BHPian

I apologize if this has already been discussed before - today I rode the Speed 400 & the Scrambler 400X back to back, in that order.
Surprisingly, I found the Speed's suspension to be the more plush out of the two I wasn't expecting that at all to be honest.

Has anyone else felt this? I did go through a fair few reviews and it almost seemed unanimous that the suspension on the Scram is far superior. Some did mention that for lighter folks (say under 70kgs, which i most certainly am not), the Speed could be the better of the two.
The other surprising one - I spoke to a couple who took the TD before me, of both the bikes. And I was shocked to hear that the pillion actually found the Scram threw her about, while the Speed was planted!

In any case, the ergos aren't bad at all on both the bikes. I can imagine fixing the Speed's angle with a 1inch or so bar riser if that. The handlebar itself is nice and wide on both, of course the Scram feels the one that I felt far more in control of. The Scram is definitely tall reminding me again how inseam is the critical parameter, especially when the rider seat is wide.

The throttle input - light yes, but it felt all or nothing, which isn't really beginner friendly in my opinion. You've got to modulate throttle input really carefully. I found myself being pulled ahead violently on 2nd gear especially.
Also, the 2nd gear I found to be useless. Gearing is really short in the first 3 especially. So I was able to jump to 3rd gear quickly and then pull cleanly ahead. I wasn't able to do 3 digit speeds to see for myself the "famous" vibes being discussed in various videos, but no matter.

Overall, I came back in a positive note that we have access to such motorcycles in India
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:27   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Surprisingly, I found the Speed's suspension to be the more plush out of the two I wasn't expecting that at all to be honest.
The Speed suspension is definitely very plush. Haven't ridden the newer one yet.

Have we started scoping out the market for the old Himalayan replacement?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th November 2023 at 16:37.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks