Old 11th November 2023, 22:08   #1336
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Revzilla video is out -

shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 22:30   #1337

Hi guys,

My first time posting here but a question for the fellow owners.
I have upgraded to speed 400 from a 12 year old Honda Unicorn (context for later).
Loving the bike so far and really trying to control myself drom opening the throttle wide open during the break in period. With my old bike, full throttle did very little so I am very used to giving it full throttle all the time. But on this machine I could end up in serious trouble if I don't watch my speed.

Now my concern/question is about the Killswitch. Since my old bike didn't have a Killswitch, I'm very used to turning it off with the key. I accidentally did the same with the speed 400 today. I realised I left the switch on when I came back to the parked bike after a few hours. While I thought this wouldn't be much of an issue, when I put in the key, the warning lights were all on (expected) but it included the immobilizer. Tried starting but it refused to start. By this time I had turned the Killswitch switch back off.
Tried the old taking the key out and putting it back in method and was able to get it to start. But what I also got was a check engine light. I had a little heart attack looking at a bike with 300kms on the odo having a check engine light.
But I had a pillion with me so my priority was to get home first and the bike didn't show any issues on the ride back (~17kms) apart from the warning light being on the whole time. Also to be noted is that, I turned off the bike properly and started again a few times on the way home at signals but the light didn't go away
Upon reaching home, I restarted the bike once again and lo and behold the light was gone. I was a little relieved for sure but still want to know if this is something that is expected to happen or could it be an issue with something else.
Just to make sure, I took it for another spin (~5kms) to make sure the warning light doesn't come back on again and thankfully it didn't.
Please let me know if anyone else has faced this issue with this bike or any other bike for that matter.

Thanks,
Adarsh
Old 11th November 2023, 22:38   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
I sincerely hope and pray this tour video puts to rest all discussions on the Speed 400 turning out to be a boring bike in six months or a year.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=6igdCnYjBt4

Until owners ride the Speed 400 to Umling La, we can rest assured that we won't be disappointed.

I enjoyed watching the video as much as the launch videos by Sagar Sheldekar.

Cheers,

RR
No fanfare. No glitzy event management. Simple gear. Amazingly intuitive riding (as foreigners) to push through the night and just stay ahead of the bridge washouts. Good riders, with really good attitude. Loved the video. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Forgot to add the key bit. Good bikes. Street suspension and ground clearance. Street tyres. 17 inch wheels. That's all you really need if you can ride. Never personally felt the need for more, which to me takes away from the street ceed of a bike. Terrain any and every bike in India (and around most of the world) a bike will spend 85-95% of its life on.

No stalling or fueling or electrical issues. No hiccups. Nothing coming loose or falling off (save for bobble head early on). Just simple good engineering and build quality.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th November 2023 at 22:46.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 07:53   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
There is this Youtuber called Travel and Bite who took his Speed 400 to Ladakh and Zanskar in Sept Oct, and posted the videos under the monicker 'First Speed 400 in ladakh'. Nothing against the videos, which are actually really nice, and i would highly recommend them, but all that business about "First XXX in YYY" is just juvenile, and i really hope people stopped making them, especially when they are untrue. The Revzilla folks went there in July-August.
Well, Manish from Travel and Bite has made a pretty good series of videos about his trip to Zanskar etc. They are unpretentious, visually great, entertaining, and informative. He obviously didn't know about the Revzilla trip, which was done with full support of Triumph India. This guy just went there with his introvert friend accompanying him on a KTM 390 ADV.

Of course, there are cookie cutter videos by lots of YouTubers trying to get views, and they all use the same irritating clichés, but a guy with a regular job doing something that many current and prospective buyers of the bike would enjoy is commendable.

I would rather watch a good series by Joe Everyday than a fully produced episode by professional bike journalists.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 17:47   #1340

A beautiful Sunday ride. The odo rolls to about 3.2k kilometers
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-be2.png  

neith is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 22:03   #1341

Saw a 400 on road today. Looks much better in person compared to the pictures.
kika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 13:21   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
Hi guys,

Tried starting but it refused to start. By this time I had turned the Killswitch switch back off.
Tried the old taking the key out and putting it back in method and was able to get it to start. But what I also got was a check engine light.
Hi all,

Update on this:
I got the key issue again and check engine light. I went to the service center to get the bike checked.
The check engine light turned out to be a starter error which is a result of trying to start the bike with the immobilizer light on.
I was told this should go away after driving which did happen.
But the immobilizer issue remains unsolved still and all they did was a software update and clear errors.
They asked me to use the other key and check if the issue still exists and come back if it does. If not, the fault would be the key and should probably get that fixed.

NDTV's abhinav bhatt has faced this issue and posted a series of reels on his Instagram showing the issue fixing itself when he came with a truck to recover the bike
I'm adding links to that here.

Initial issue

Trying the second key

Recovery attempt

Let me know if anyone else is facing this issue.

Thanks,
Adarsh
adarsh14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 19:38   #1343
BHPian

For Team-BHPians residing in Noida (NCR region), a new Triumph showroom has opened which is located between Noida Sector 15 and Sector 16 metro stations just next to Ola showroom.

They have Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X bikes on display. As per SA, bigger engine capacity (CC) Triumph models will also be available after sometime.

Test rides will begin from 15th November.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231113_104100799.mp2.jpg
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 11:30   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No fanfare. No glitzy event management. Simple gear. Amazingly intuitive riding (as foreigners) to push through the night and just stay ahead of the bridge washouts. Good riders, with really good attitude. Loved the video.
Doc, it is nice to see you active again among the motorized two wheelers after a long tryst with the pedals. i hope you got to review the article as well. Quite a few lines mirror your thought process on overthinking about capabilities of the bike rather than than enjoying the bike in hand.

Spurgeon has a well maintained KTM 890 Rally in his garage and he would have wished to be atop that for this ride.

Spurgeon Dunbars take on riding the Triumph 400s to Umling La

Quote:
Good roads or bad roads, sunshine or rain, our new baby Triumphs soldiered on. This ride served as a bizarre test for $5,000 motorcycles that are meant to be an entry to the pastime, not tools to check a bucket-list adventure off the list. But, anyone who saw the CTXP team ride across Alaska, Wyoming, or Colorado knows that our philosophy has always been clear — the wrong tool for the job often makes for the right kind of adventure.
Quote:
The big takeaway that we felt from these bikes was the pure willingness that every motorcycle in this category should deliver. A yes machine. Playful, but not too powerful. Substantial, without being intimidating. They were not made for this scale of adventure, but they galloped and meandered through one of the most famous mountain ranges in the world without missing a beat.

Eventually, we stood atop the spine of earth separating the world’s two most populous countries. More than a billion people on either side of the line, and not a soul in sight. We spent a few minutes taking in the highest road in the world, being pelted by mid-August sleet, and wondered what the return trip would bring.
If you have not seen other CTXP adventures. Zack and Ari and total adventure fiends. You cannot find better content than this. I am pinning few of my favourite below. The last one especially makes me a bit sentimental.

rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:49   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Doc, it is nice to see you active again among the motorized two wheelers after a long tryst with the pedals. i hope you got to review the article as well. Quite a few lines mirror your thought process on overthinking about capabilities of the bike rather than than enjoying the bike in hand.
Hey Rohit! Long time bro. Love seeing all the oldies emerge from the woodwork. Lol

Yeah man. Never ever bought into this new age horses for courses paradigm of bikes tailor made for different uses and all these different names and categories. Most bikes are and will do what their riders can make them do. There are really no bad bikes. Just bad (or not so good or good enough) riders.

Just find a bike that talks to you. And ride it. Anywhere. Everywhere. Every and any which way you are in the mood for. I guarantee that most bikes can do a lot more than most riders have the skills for.

The side car racing video was epic man. Subscribed! So subscribed.

Look at the water wading ability of the speed 400. And aside from being a tad out of breath, something natural at those altitudes, neither bike missed a beat. No stalling. No misfiring. No leaning out and cutting out. No engine check lights. No (re)starting issues. No mirrors vibrating and coming loose. And a lot of the riding in pouring rain, sleet and snow.

Just simple well engineered peppy light bikes doing friskily and without fuss what their riders want them to do. And can make them do.

On a side note, the Hawaiian / Goan shirt unbuttoned on top flapping around was looking mighty nice and tempting and airy and cool under the unzippered jacket! One of the new age farkles I've been guilty of adopting (and preferring ) are full length skin tight base layers.

That beach shirt was calling to me though. Maybe time to rethink ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th November 2023 at 13:08.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 13:52   #1346

Regarding faulty check engine light issue on some bikes

I visited the showroom recently to get the number plate guards installed.
During installation, one of the sales rep told me to not have any other metal key (like house keys, helmet lock key) in the key bunch. This apparently messes with the electronics system that can cause a faulty check engine light issue.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, could someone weigh in on this?

Also, i found out that the rev limiter is set to 7.5k rpm until 3000kms. After that distance is covered, it will automatically unlock to 10k rpm. Again, could someone please share their opinion on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 14th November 2023, 14:18   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
Hi all,

Update on this:
I got the key issue again and check engine light. I went to the service center to get the bike checked.
The check engine light turned out to be a starter error which is a result of trying to start the bike with the immobilizer light on.
I was told this should go away after driving which did happen.
But the immobilizer issue remains unsolved still and all they did was a software update and clear errors.
They asked me to use the other key and check if the issue still exists and come back if it does. If not, the fault would be the key and should probably get that fixed.

NDTV's abhinav bhatt has faced this issue and posted a series of reels on his Instagram showing the issue fixing itself when he came with a truck to recover the bike

Let me know if anyone else is facing this issue.

Thanks,
Adarsh
Hi Adarsh, I ride a 2017 Street Twin and had to deal with this same issue on my bike. About 6 months back, I experienced it for the first time but I thought it was a glitch or perhaps dirt accumulated in important components so I ignored it for a while. It would take me around 2 or 3 attempts to get the fuel pump to come to life but nothing I couldn't live without. Eventually, I gave it a WD40 treatment, followed by a second round of circuit cleaner spray in the subsequent week. Things got worse around September when it started taking more than 20 attempts. This time I flagged it on a few groups and someone suggested battery reset and another suggested cleaning fuses. I did both and it worked temporarily. Then I took the bike to Pathpavers (FNG) who diagnosed it to be an issue with the RFID sensor. They pulled the wire in a certain manner and zip-tied it. Again, it worked temporarily but the issue used to come up over and over. The final blow was when it gave up on me entirely on a trip to Pushkar. Had to get it towed back to Delhi which was an expensive affair followed by lockset replacement at One Triumph.

Coming to the issue itself is a very well-documented problem across the world, especially pronounced in the modern classic range of Triumph. Basically in order to keep their wiring neat and tucked in, they put them under unnecessary stress, causing micro-damage to brittle wires. In my case, the RFID antenna wire was damaged and despite my attempts to get it repaired, there was no solution insight. When will Triumph learn

Here's a link to one of the Triumph forums where it is discussed in detail.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/t...-issue.992663/
shabih is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 16:07   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwiknagappa View Post

During installation, one of the sales rep told me to not have any other metal key (like house keys, helmet lock key) in the key bunch. This apparently messes with the electronics system that can cause a faulty check engine light issue.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, could someone weigh in on this?

Also, i found out that the rev limiter is set to 7.5k rpm until 3000kms. After that distance is covered, it will automatically unlock to 10k rpm. Again, could someone please share their opinion on this?

Thanks in advance!
This is quite strange to me. I have been using a key ring with two other metal keys (home locks) for over 2 months now without this issue.

Also, I noticed revs being limited to 6500-7500rpm (I forget the exact number because of the tiny dots on the tacho) only up to the first 1000kms. It unlocked for me after first service. I am pretty sure I have hit up to 8500rpm after that (odo is at 2100 km right now). Will check again today and post here if I still find it limited.
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 18:40   #1349
BHPian

Fellow Speed 400 riders, thoughts on the Carbon Racing saddle stays?

I want luggage carrying options as the lady of the house wants me to remove the OEM luggage rack. It makes getting on and off the bike really difficult for her.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:13   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Hi Adarsh, I ride a 2017 Street Twin and had to deal with this same issue on my bike. About 6 months back, I experienced it for the first time but I thought it was a glitch or perhaps dirt accumulated in important components so I ignored it for a while. It would take me around 2 or 3 attempts to get the fuel pump to come to life but nothing I couldn't live without. Eventually, I gave it a WD40 treatment, followed by a second round of circuit cleaner spray in the subsequent week. Things got worse around September when it started taking more than 20 attempts. This time I flagged it on a few groups and someone suggested battery reset and another suggested cleaning fuses. I did both and it worked temporarily. Then I took the bike to Pathpavers (FNG) who diagnosed it to be an issue with the RFID sensor. They pulled the wire in a certain manner and zip-tied it. Again, it worked temporarily but the issue used to come up over and over. The final blow was when it gave up on me entirely on a trip to Pushkar. Had to get it towed back to Delhi which was an expensive affair followed by lockset replacement at One Triumph.
Sorry you had to go through that and I'm glad at least I'm under warranty. But the issue happening on a brand new bike with less than 500 KMs on the odo is just shocking. I went out yesterday and took the spare key to test if it had the same issue and indeed it did. Every time I stop the bike and pull the key out, there is a chance it could leave me stranded.

Although it could turn out to be a loose cable in my case (and I sincerely hope it is), I will try to push for a lock set replacement if the issue comes up again. I went and dropped it off today so they can investigate the issue and shared Abhinav Bhatt's video with them as well but they said they haven't seen this issue so far.
Let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Coming to the issue itself is a very well-documented problem across the world, especially pronounced in the modern classic range of Triumph.
I thought this would be an issue with the 400s only but wow!!
Guess I'm getting both the good and bad of Triumph ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwiknagappa View Post

From what I read online, metal could interfere with the Immobilizer.
I got a check engine light after the immobilizer issue and it stayed on. I was told it's just a starter error and it's fine to ride. The other reason is water getting near the O2 sensor which too I was told would go away once it's dried.
I'm not sure what other reason the light could come on.
adarsh14 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks