Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2023, 15:07   #1321
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
Indeed so.

Just jiggle the handlebar a bit and you'll find the sweet spot easily. Its a matter of getting used.
Thanks. The SA didn't mention about this at the time of delivery. A bit annoying tbh. I hope they fix it.
Also, the tachometer flashes if bike reaches the Rev limit btw. I told them this and they showed it in front of me.
Old 9th November 2023, 15:58   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
Thanks. The SA didn't mention about this at the time of delivery. A bit annoying tbh. I hope they fix it.
Buddy, I've found this issue with budget and premium bikes. Mostly, its just adjusting the handlebar for the lock to take hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
Also, the tachometer flashes if bike reaches the Rev limit btw. I told them this and they showed it in front of me.
I wouldn't know about this because I'm yet to push the Speed 400 to the rev limit. I'm old school and believe in running-in the engine for up to 5,000 km before ripping open.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RR
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 21:32   #1323

I got my Speed 400 serviced a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the rev limiter flashes at 7.5k. It used to flash at 6.5k earlier.

Someone on reddit told me that we'd have to go to the service center again to unlock 10k rpm.

Is this true? At the time of service, I had completed 950kms (so the bike was still under 1k recommended kms).

I asked the service center executive, they just asked me to come visit and get it checked out. I thought I'd ask someone here before visiting the service center.
Old 9th November 2023, 22:27   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
P.S. Were you on Tamhini this Sunday?
I was there for 3 Sundays back to back but not the last 2.

I spent those going to Lavasa via the Panshet dam backwaters road and then beyond towards Tamhini.

Didn't realise 2nd time around that I was just ~6 km away from Tamhini ghat road and turned around to go back via the Lavasa main gate.

The road from Dasve dam to the gate has so many potholes these days but it's still so much fun when you can absolutely ignore them even at crazy lean angles.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 22:33   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I was there for 3 Sundays back to back but not the last 2.

I spent those going to Lavasa via the Panshet dam backwaters road and then beyond towards Tamhini.

Didn't realise 2nd time around that I was just ~6 km away from Tamhini ghat road and turned around to go back via the Lavasa main gate.

The road from Dasve dam to the gate has so many potholes these days but it's still so much fun when you can absolutely ignore them even at crazy lean angles.
Ya that backwaters one is a favourite cyclists loop.

I asked because we passed a red Speed 400 and then he passed us later while we were stopped. Along with a few other bikes.
Old 9th November 2023, 22:34   #1326
BHPian

A short review from an ADV 390 owner's prespective:

Borrowed my friend’s Speed 400 for a solo ride that lasted 1380 kms, out of which I covered around 1200 in 2 days. The bike had done 1800 kms before I started my ride.
1. The engine is smooth, revs easily without complaints till 6-6.5k rpm. This wasn't the case when bike was new - the engine felt like its not very refined.
2. That low-mid rpm torque is very nice.
3. Smooth and accurate gearbox.
4. Above 6-6.5 rpms vibes are felt mainly through the seat, vibes on mirrors and pegs can be ignored.
5. Speeds around 100-110 is very comfortable with more torque available for overtakes, above that windblast is very bad (not complaining its not a tourer).
6. The stock seat is very soft atleast for riders on heavier side. As more time is spent on the saddle, it just sinks.
7. The rider triangle is very good, surprised with such comfortable handlebar position. The seat to footpeg distance might be less for people above 175 cm.
8.Heat management is decent, the fans do switch on-off a bit more frequently than on the 390 but the heat doesn't hit the legs. Some heat is felt during slow speeds.
9. FE achieved was around 32, tank full to tank full.
The range estimator in the bike (DTE) is flawed, not trustworthy.
10. Handling and suspension setup needs a special mention Though the suspension travel numbers on paper are better for other bikes including ADV 390. The setup on the Speed is very good. Works great on broken roads and in corners. May be during offroading the travel might be a hindrance. I didn't feel it bottomed out when while passing over bad patches or potholes even at high speeds.

Overall very impressed with the bike

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231104_140604952.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231101_103906698.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231101_074311477.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231101_074248569.jpg

After I returned returned my favour to my friend by getting the seat work done after his permission ��

Got the stock cushion layered with a 40 density (pink) and the a 28 density foam (green).
The seat feels comfortable now, also the angle of the leg between the seat and footpegs is a bit more relaxed.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231107_083206855.jpg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231107_083758507.jpg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231107_084648510.jpg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231107_084654484.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th November 2023 at 23:01. Reason: Minor clean up edits.
PreethamNag is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 11:23   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Yeehaw!!
This 1 word according to me perfectly sums up how I feel like while riding the bike at any given time or on any type of terrain.
Absolute immense fun this machine is, truly a delight to ride.
BatmanTDK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 13:15   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
A short review from an ADV 390 owner's prespective:

After I returned returned my favour to my friend by getting the seat work done after his permission ��

Got the stock cushion layered with a 40 density (pink) and the a 28 density foam (green).
The seat feels comfortable now, also the angle of the leg between the seat and footpegs is a bit more relaxed.
Very neat work done on the seat. Did they reuse the original rexine or is this new rexine with the Triumph name stencilled at the back?

Can you share how much this job cost? And what is your height and that of your friend to whom the bike belongs?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 10th November 2023 at 13:18.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 13:21   #1329
BHPian

Mod note: Post merged. Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.

Quote:
Very neat work done on the seat. Did they reuse the original rexine or is this new rexine with the Triumph name stencilled at the back?

Can you share how much this job cost?

Cheers, Doc
We reused the original rexine as it was good.
Been getting the seat work done on almost all of my bikes from this shop in Mysuru from past 15 yrs now. This one costed me 600 including the foam.

Regards
Preetham

Quote:
And what is your height and that of your friend to whom the bike belongs?

Cheers, Doc
Sorry missed this, My height is 174cm and my friend is around 180. Both of us are on the heavier side of weighing scale

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2023 at 13:47. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.
PreethamNag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 14:56   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
We reused the original rexine as it was good.
Been getting the seat work done on almost all of my bikes from this shop in Mysuru from past 15 yrs now. This one costed me 600 including the foam.

Regards
Preetham
Thank you for confirming. The reason I asked was that even with pristine new rexine covers on brand new bikes such as these, when they open it up to do the foam/re-shaping work, the original seat rexine that is opened up will need to have the fitted staples removed, which will leave a line of staple holes that if exposed (since the seat foam is now taller, what was on the underside of the seat base may now come out and be exposed) will show and not look nice, plus leak water and get wet in the rains. Then every time the rider sits, some water from the wet foam squeezes out through those holes with the rider's weight, and he has a wet patch on the underside of his pants that can be quite embarrassing.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 15:07   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for confirming. The reason I asked was that even with pristine new rexine covers on brand new bikes such as these, when they open it up to do the foam/re-shaping work, the original seat rexine that is opened up will need to have the fitted staples removed, which will leave a line of staple holes that if exposed (since the seat foam is now taller, what was on the underside of the seat base may now come out and be exposed) will show and not look nice, plus leak water and get wet in the rains. Then every time the rider sits, some water from the wet foam squeezes out through those holes with the rider's weight
Yes, that is an issue of the original rexine wont stretch, this one was stretched and the old pinning has gone under the seat. New pinning is done along the old one or such that the holes are tucked underneath.
Also the stock foam was covered with polythene under the rexine so that it doesnt let water through stitches in the stock rexine. We reused it.
PreethamNag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 21:50   #1332

Hey Guys,
So I got my Speed 400 on 15th'Oct and I've driven about 700kms. But today I while cleaning I noticed this. I'm not sure why oil is leaking and the probability of gaskets failing is also low. I'm genuinely worried and have no clue what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231110_214034.jpg  

Old 11th November 2023, 20:48   #1333
BHPian

I sincerely hope and pray this tour video puts to rest all discussions on the Speed 400 turning out to be a boring bike in six months or a year.

Until owners ride the Speed 400 to Umling La, we can rest assured that we won't be disappointed.

I enjoyed watching the video as much as the launch videos by Sagar Sheldekar.

Cheers,

RR
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 21:41   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
I sincerely hope and pray this tour video puts to rest all discussions on the Speed 400 turning out to be a boring bike in six months or a year.
Hahaha yeah, "boring" is out of the window.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Revzilla do a speed 400 review, and that too in India. I have been a subscriber for quite long.
The production and scale of what revzilla has put together is amazing. Got me so pumped up that I am going on an impromptu ride in the morning.

I'd say that Sagar, Anurag and Revzilla are the 3 youtube channels that have got this bike spot-on. Nice to see people who actually enjoy riding bikes instead of only making podcast type comparos.
lazyrev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 22:05   #1335
BHPian

There is this Youtuber called Travel and Bite who took his Speed 400 to Ladakh and Zanskar in Sept Oct, and posted the videos under the monicker 'First Speed 400 in ladakh'. Nothing against the videos, which are actually really nice, and i would highly recommend them, but all that business about "First XXX in YYY" is just juvenile, and i really hope people stopped making them, especially when they are untrue. The Revzilla folks went there in July-August.

Anyway, the only people who care about who was the first to get there on what bike matters only to the person making the claim; noone else.
bsenroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks