Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2023, 23:24   #1306
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
There has been a recent spate of negative comments from folks in multiple forums. Most of them come with some sort of misled expectations and very catchy, zingy words from their favourite Youtuber, who needs to say different things to stand out to the algorithm. There has been a trend of "if he is saying something different, he has to be right and the rest are all paid media".
I second you on this point.

Until then, not a single reviewer mentioned anything about becoming bored in a year's time. And then, most signed up to the sentiment.

Truth is often blind. We need to find a spark of light within us to figure it out for our own sake.

The man who sold me the Triumph wasn't Rajiv Bajaj or the boffins at Triumph. It was good ol' father of Indian auto journalism - Adil Jal Dharukhanawala.

The wise man articulated what the Triumph does well - put a big smile on its rider's face.

You and I stand testament to what the bike is capable of.

I wish you safe and happy miles on the T Speed 400!

Raskolnikov.R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 01:00   #1307

It's my first post here, an unfortunate one. I got my Speed 400 on 15th October and it's done 700kms on the Odo. Yesterday I was casually cleaning my bike when I noticed some oil on the left side of the engine head where the gasket sits the cylinder head. I'm paranoid and I have no clue what it might be. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you
Old 9th November 2023, 01:52   #1308
BHPian

Thanks Guys. The heating part is something I want to know more about.

I felt the heat through the jeans during the test ride. May be because of the continuous test before I took one. But I didn’t feel the same on the scrambler test ride (even though multiple rides were taken before). Is the heat management better in the Scrambler?

Also City traffic with a commute time of ~1hr would it heat up a lot? A friend of mine who rides a Himalayan says his bike heats up a lot and it’s unbearable. Hope it’s better than the Himalayan.
aashikf1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:22   #1309
pv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post

I felt the heat through the jeans during the test ride. May be because of the continuous test before I took one. But I didn’t feel the same on the scrambler test ride (even though multiple rides were taken before). Is the heat management better in the Scrambler?

Also City traffic with a commute time of ~1hr would it heat up a lot? A friend of mine who rides a Himalayan says his bike heats up a lot and it’s unbearable. Hope it’s better than the Himalayan.
Have ridden 500kms+ so far on the speed 400. Using it in Chennai in OMR for office commute (1hr/45-50kms roundtrip - give or take). It does heat up in signals but is not unbearable. I do however wear jeans and shoes for office commute. For local runs(tends to be 10kms+ roundtrips) wear shorts and flip-flops. Its presence is felt but is not to the point of worrying. YMMV.

My 2-cents, the bike is a pleasure to ride in city traffic or quasi highways and is very nimble & overtakes are a breeze. I don't think I will be bored of this bike as one of the reviewer claimed (the thing is that the same person claimed pretty much the same thing about trident 660). People who ride bikes have all approached and spoken to me at signals/office/home parking etc. It doesn't scream attention & is a great looking bike(on the subtler side).

Not very sure about the scrambler, but so far very happy with the purchase of speed for office commute and local runs. I recommend taking a half-hour test rides or atleast taking multiple test rides(I did 3 with pillions, solo etc. before booking) before coming to a conclusion.
pv5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:41   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post

The heat management is not significantly different than the Scrambler, but the ergos may direct the heat slightly differently. The difference is maybe only about 10%. Compared to a Himalayan, which is an air-oil or air-cooled if I'm not mistaken, it will be better by far. The comparo here is again with the KTM 390s.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:49   #1311
BHPian

Hello All,

Too much has been spoken about boredom here. Why don't you wait for 12-18 months and then conclude on the boredom or the lack of?

You would have ridden the bike for 25k kms atleast, there will newer better models in the market with more value based offerings. Triumph itself may come up with the tiger 400 or cafe racer 400 and they will themselves tell you to upgrade to a better offering.

That will be the right time to gauge the boredom, loyalties or other emotions. Buying a new bike and expressing admiration or life lasting loyalties is easier than living with it on a daily basis 2 years down the lane.

Let's wait to see how it evolves!

Regards
Bharath

Last edited by bharath79 : 9th November 2023 at 09:03. Reason: Grammar
bharath79 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 09:44   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Hello All,

Too much has been spoken about boredom here. Why don't you wait for 12-18 months and then conclude on the boredom or the lack of?

You would have ridden the bike for 25k kms atleast, there will newer better models in the market with more value based offerings. Triumph itself may come up with the tiger 400 or cafe racer 400 and they will themselves tell you to upgrade to a better offering.

That will be the right time to gauge the boredom, loyalties or other emotions. Buying a new bike and expressing admiration or life lasting loyalties is easier than living with it on a daily basis 2 years down the lane.

Let's wait to see how it evolves!

Regards
Bharath
True. But the issue is due to this general chatter from 'popular sources' online of the bike being potentially boring in the longer run, many people in my known circle as well as forum members have shied away from buying the motorcycle today. I just don't understand the thought process behind a vehicle being not exciting if it threads the middle path in terms of performance.
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 10:04   #1313
BHPian

A quick update on a short 300 kms round trip. My first service is due in a week, and I wanted the bike to put on some odo miles before it goes for its first oil change. Did a quick Kochi Palakkad run. Except for the 20 odd kms in Palakkad town, the rest was 4 lane and 6 lane highway.

Did the initial 60 kms at 60-70 kmph and it returned a very impressive 40 kmpl. The rest was between 70-90 kmph and the total trip average was 38 kmpl. However, the tank to tank showed a difference of more than 2 kmpl. Still 35 plus is decent, I guess.

Did not want to strain the engine, but I could not hold myself from trying out triple speed on the empty Thrissur Palakkad 6 lane. Did a quick sprint to 140 kmph once. At 100 the vibrations are at the handlebar. At 120, your foot pegs feel it and at 140, the bums feel it. Still no issues, as my usual speed is only 70-90. Triple digit speeds are just for momentary adrenaline rushes for me. I will not be doing that often.

Speaking of the seats, it is simply superb. Of all the bikes I have done long distance, this is the only one that gave me no issue. The sitting posture is a bit leaning, and I prefer a more upright one. I am confused about getting handlebar raisers. It is available for 2.3k which I think is a little overpriced.

Engine power and refinement as aware is outstanding. Heating issue there, but I have learned to live with it. That’s how a packed 400 cc works, I guess. It is not affecting the performance in any way. Brakes too are excellent, especially the front. Felt the ABS kick in once, when I had to do emergency maneuvering and breaking when a car in front of me decided to take a sudden left turn without any indication.

That’s all for now. Will come with more updates after the next weekend ride. Any Speed owners in and around Kochi, let’s catch up for a ride.
nettooran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 10:09   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
True. But the issue is due to this general chatter from 'popular sources' online of the bike being potentially boring in the longer run, many people in my known circle as well as forum members have shied away from buying the motorcycle today. I just don't understand the thought process behind a vehicle being not exciting if it threads the middle path in terms of performance.
This could also be due to previous experiences. It reminded me of an advice that came my way: "don't buy the 250s, buy the 600ccs" way back in 2018. I ignored it and realized what he meant later. I could not do much at that time.

Another example: a neighbour, in his 50s, purchased the Honda 350 and was all excited for 2 months. He himself says later that he should have gone for higher cc or a more capable bike. He cannot do much now.

I think most of us don't know what we want and more often than not we outgrow fast and burn our fingers. Worse, we have to lIve with the decision for years. I would much rather save and spend 11 lakhs to buy a T120 in one shot (may get bored with that too ). Mid life crisis maybe!

No fault of the bikes at all! It is more to do with us humans

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 11:35   #1315
BHPian

So I got my first service done yesterday. I did it at a newly opened dealer. The overall experience was very good. I have some doubts regarding what the executive said:

1. The handle lock was not working smoothly. The executive said just to move the handle bar a bit to the opposite side if the lock is not getting locked. He said its a common issue for every bike. Is that the case?
2. There is "ssss" sound while I'm using my front brakes. He said its the ABS motor pumping the fuel. Is that the case?
Old 9th November 2023, 11:37   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
1. The handle lock was not working smoothly. The executive said just to move the handle bar a bit to the opposite side if the lock is not getting locked. He said its a common issue for every bike. Is that the case?
Indeed so.

Just jiggle the handlebar a bit and you'll find the sweet spot easily. Its a matter of getting used.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 11:38   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Enough with the boredom bit. Now on to some excitement.

This bike manages to put a smile on my face regardless of whether I am riding 1km or 200. That is what I love about it.

I love the fact that I can take lines around corners on this one that nobody else does (because it's too bumpy there). Given our *excellent* roads, I get empty stretches of road during rush hour in the 2nd most congested city in India everywhere (once again because its too bumpy for others) and I can go through it at speed given the lovely suspension.

This above, a Hero XPulse can also probably do. But then it cannot help me win traffic light GPs EVERYWHERE! It cannot corner like this one. It cannot come out of corners like this one.

The amount of confidence this gives me on the corners, while still being so supple with mid corner bumps and undulations that it makes me practically carefree when on a twisty road.

Corner? No problem!
Mid corner pothole? No problem!
Mid corner line correction? No problem!
Wrong gear? No problem!
Correct gear? Yeehaw!!
Uphill 35% climb with hairpin? No problem!
Great roads? Yeehaw!!
Top layer of the road missing? No problem!
Highway overtake at 120+? No problem!
Speed breaker in 4th gear? No problem!
Riding in traffic? Absolutely flickable and smooth and no jerkiness or vibes.
Ride around the corner with my <4-yr old? Her choice if she wants to sit in front or the back. Can you do that on a Duke? I couldn't.

As far as the cons are concerned:
1. There is some heating but then you get used to it. I have.
2. Vibrations. They are present in the higher revs. Till 120 in 6th, they are manageable. I have no idea how they are beyond that speed. Crossed it just once. I don't mind them too much during fast acceleration though.
3. About it being boring: I guess, people love beasts that they need to tame to enjoy. This is like a plaything and it is just so much fun. I liked my beast but I like this better. Everything is easy. I am not gettting married to the thing. Let it be boring, maybe I will move on, maybe I will love it as is and choose to keep it for the long run. Maybe I will get something > 100BHP and keep both. Who has seen the future anyways?
antz.bin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 12:12   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I love the fact that I can take lines around corners on this one that nobody else does (because it's too bumpy there). Given our *excellent* roads, I get empty stretches of road during rush hour in the 2nd most congested city in India everywhere (once again because its too bumpy for others) and I can go through it at speed given the lovely suspension.

The amount of confidence this gives me on the corners, while still being so supple with mid corner bumps and undulations that it makes me practically carefree when on a twisty road.

Corner? No problem!
Mid corner pothole? No problem!
Mid corner line correction? No problem!

Speed breaker in 4th gear? No problem!
Riding in traffic? Absolutely flickable and smooth and no jerkiness or vibes.
These were almost identical to my observations in the first and only ride I had on her.

Lovely cockpit. Stance. Suspension. Flickability. Brakes. And simply eggs you on to enter corners fast legs out. Counter leaning. Its that sort of bike.

I do not know how it is on the highway. It was a nearly brand new bike then anyways. But this bike will be a hoot to ride in the city or twisties or on your daily commute.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Were you on Tamhini this Sunday?

Last edited by ebonho : 9th November 2023 at 12:13.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 12:18   #1319
BHPian

How to address engine heating worries: A quick and easy guide.

1) Always wear full trousers and shoes with full sized socks. Not only will this protect your skin from engine heat and radiator exhaust, but will also enhance your safety, protect your toes during gear shifts, and make you look good wherever you go.

2) When at traffic signals, switch the engine off if you have to wait for more than 20 seconds. Not only will it help the engine cool down, but will also conserve fuel and help you combat climate change and local warming.

3) Appreciate that the strong heat that you feel on your lower legs is just the radiator doing heat exchange with the environment. If you ride an air-cooled bike, you might not feel that blast but the engine might get extremely hot.

Once, my bike fell over when we got stuck in a tricky situation while getting off a highway. I had no choice but to place my palm on the crank case in order to get off. I was fearing the worst, but I didn't get my palm singed at all. Apparently, the bike doesn't heat up so much when it gets a good airflow and the rpms have been on the lower side, which are conditions you don't encounter in the city.
davelok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 12:36   #1320

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM-pathetic View Post
Test-ride
I had great expectations after reading through this thread and going through various videos. The test-bike started when the ignition button was pressed and promptly stopped. I pressed this again and now the engine was up. This happened two more times during the test-ride with alternate engine starts failing.
Conclusions:
The test-ride was extensive and I rode for more than 20 mins but was a bit under-whelmed. Was happy with the Triumph staff at Keerthi, JP Nagar for their prompt service. Considering the new payment method and test-ride vibes, I'd like to hold off for now, let-go the 10k discount/FOMO feeling. I have pre-booked the Scrambler using another mobile number. So I will wait for that and other releases on the Indian motor-bike scene and take a decision later.
I agree with this as I felt the Scrambler 400X was better than Speed 400. I test rode both yesterday and Speed 400 handling was not as good as expected and vehicle stopped multiple times in first gear.

Also, IMO, Harley X440 was more comfortable to ride in the city compared to the 400 twins.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th November 2023 at 18:31. Reason: Mod note attached. Also, poorly typed post. Made some clean up edits.
Avenger2014 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks