Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 03:01   #1231
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Caspian Blue gets it’s creds

Finally we got the number plates for our blue Speed 400. My wife went to the One Triumph showroom and got them installed. The Manager there says we will get the physical RC card within a week directly to the address. Finally the bike purchase process is completed.

The delay in number plate was because of two reasons -

1. Apparently there’s a new officer in the relevant Gurugram RTO who’s a pain in the ass. This was confirmed not just through the Triumph guys but some other private car dealer known to us.

2. One Triumph’s laziness to timely follow ups with the submitted files and any hiccups with the same.

There was Scrambler present at the showroom as well which was offered to my wife for a test ride, and being the biker she is she didn’t pass up on it. Her impressions are that it’s really balanced well and is fun to ride especially better for taller people like me (She’s 5’5”, I’m 6’’0”), she had to tip toe on U-turns and in traffic. Though I’m happy with the non intimidating size of Speed 400, makes me confident enough to flick and have some fun with it.

Plus I’m planning/hoping to add another bike in our stable over time and that one will be a tall, more touring friendly bike for sure.

Interestingly she was told that since Triumph majorly used the Matte Green Scrambler for it’s marketing material, almost everyone booked the Green Scrambler and allegedly Triumph can’t deliver green ones to them before Diwali. At least not enough to cater to the demand.

Also she observed that the Triumph guys are more relaxed now as the initial rush has slowed down a bit and hence the showroom overall felt more friendly and premium because of absence of huge crowds.

P.S. - The showroom guys charged us 500/- for the number plate frame which I think is a must for some basic protection against bending. Usually it costs 300-400 in the open market but I guess the premium is for convenience which is alright.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-72339089c6a345d9b72bb14638d05be0.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-2cf745c61a9648dba5a55ea1092138b9.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-a43b43704ece4612b09712d36030e56e.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-da52453ab04942ffaef07a2782e9bc76.jpeg
Himanshu809 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 00:05   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post

P.S. - The showroom guys charged us 500/- for the number plate frame which I think is a must for some basic protection against bending. Usually it costs 300-400 in the open market but I guess the premium is for convenience which is alright.
Congrats on finally getting everything done and thanks for the quick info on the scrambler. I personally am not fond of the adv/offroader aesthetic (actually a fan of faired sports but for practicality, street nakeds like the speed) but I get why someone would like the scrambler.

I totally echo the sentiment on the number plate holder. I already have had the front one curving from wind blast and some random bent the rear one already while I was in heavy traffic. Instantly ordered a metal frame on amazon for 270/-. I dont want the plates to break because I have heard it is a huge hassle to get HSRPs replaced.

Surprisingly, it took me a couple of hours to get it fitted because number plate shops here didnt keep drills to remove rivets. Finally found a mechanic who works on premium bikes and he did it. Got it fitted with bolts so I can remove it myself when I inevitably get the lower front mount. Cost me 270+100 total so 500 from the showroom is perfectly fine (if they are metal and you like the one-triumph branding ).
lazyrev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 00:18   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Congrats on finally getting everything done.
Surprisingly, it took me a couple of hours to get it fitted because number plate shops here didnt keep drills to remove rivets. Finally found a mechanic who works on premium bikes and he did it. Got it fitted with bolts so I can remove it myself when I inevitably get the lower front mount. Cost me 270+100 total so 500 from the showroom is perfectly fine (if they are metal and you like the one-triumph branding ).
Thanks. I hate the One Triumph branding. Why should I advertise a dealer free of cost on my own personal property. Hoping it will wear out soon or else I’ll black it out. Do let us know about the lower mount whenever you get it. Would like to try out the same for my bike.

Safe riding.

P.S. - No the number plate holders are not metal they are plastic.
Himanshu809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 17:17   #1234

Shumi has touched on the "Bajaj" naming appearing on the RC cards. Since Triumph does not have a registered office in India anymore, they can't use their name on the Vahan portal.

Source - 34:14 in the Scrambler 400X first ride impressions. (Link is timestamped)

Carfool_Wheeler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 20:53   #1235
pv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfool_Wheeler View Post
Shumi has touched on the "Bajaj" naming appearing on the RC cards. Since Triumph does not have a registered office in India anymore, they can't use their name on the Vahan portal.
Been looking at the vahan portal's monthly numbers for a few months now. The KTM doesn't appear in the numbers either. It is going to be Bajaj for them as well. It says the manufacturer is Bajaj too in my RC.
pv5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 02:48   #1236
BHPian

I think in many ways, the Triumph 400 is a Bajaj OG Pulsar 150 moment but on a different scale(in terms of class) because of the time (2001vs2023) and increased purchasing power.

Bajaj is doing too good if you think about it. They are leaping in a race where Hero Motorcorp is just taking baby steps. The market is heating up really fast.

Though one thing concerns me is the no bikes allowed rule on the new Expressways being built. I mean I understand it’s practical because they pass through a lot of rural/semi rural areas and you can’t have tiny Splendors zipping around on a road designed for 100-120 kmph. We have all these bikes now where do we honestly use their potential safely? Especially the big bike owners.

Is there even a point to have a big displacement multi cylinder fast motorcyle?

I think anything above 600-700cc triple or 800-900cc twin is just power(and money) never to be utilised, mostly just dangerous brag value which is again a niche market. And even these capacities will be utilised if they are touring friendly and in India that means rough terrain/bad roads friendly.

(No hate on superbike owners, I’d have a Hayabusa if I could afford one)

So honestly Scrambler and ADVs will only go up and up in numbers.

7000+ units in two months with almost no showrooms (compared to the competition). And that is nothing to be laughed at when you know the king of the segment (price wise) is RE and they do an average of 25,000 units a month.

Sure the customer for RE Classic 350 and a Triumph Speed 400 are two different people

How many UK automobile manufacturing companies have survived over time without changing owners (usually from outside UK)? I don’t recall any.

Luxury segments don’t count. Niche products. They’re catering to few who need allusions to their money, true motorheads are always few.

And honestly who had money before the 1990’s? At least in India not a whole lot of people did. And those who did had limited options when it comes to performance

Triumph will sooner or later be Indian in ownership (partly if not completely) I see it as a natural course of action.

I honestly don’t mind Bajaj in the R.C.; if you don’t break the rules no one will see it anyway. Yeah Triumph would look fancier but I see Triumph when I look at my bike, even though it’s more Bajaj than Triumph but in the end the feel stays with you and not some letters on a document. They’ve got the feel of the product exactly right.

I see it as one of the best attempts out in the market made by Bajaj and guided by Triumph. And I never thought I’d say that about Bajaj. I just hope my bike doesn’t age like a Bajaj. Hahaha.

Every corporation needs infinite customers and since the West is on a slowdown and Asia (India & China) are growing faster than bunnies all business will be pulled here. Money attracts money.

I must say really really really exciting times ahead in the motoring world. Especially bikes.
Himanshu809 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 06:53   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
I honestly don’t mind Bajaj in the R.C.; if you don’t break the rules no one will see it anyway. Yeah Triumph would look fancier but I see Triumph when I look at my bike, even though it’s more Bajaj than Triumph but in the end the feel stays with you and not some letters on a document.
Beautifully put down. I fully resonate with your view.

It is the feel and the wide grin that matters when you rev up the machine not the name or branding or some fancy letters on it.

Probably we all never want to face a situation when we need to show the RC. So in all practicality the manufacturer name being Bajaj instead of Triumph has very little significance. And if the brand name is what needed to boast of then the bikes have enough branding I guess.
itsMridul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:30   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
I tried to see how high speed feels on the bike today, on an open road. I leaned into the wind and took it up to almost 120kmph (speedo is wrong, so this is my guess) when the tachometer started flashing [edit: IIRC it was doing around 8000rpm]! Why would it do so?
The same thing happened to me. The rpm was not above 7000. There was an open stretch in the highway and there were no traffic. I opened throttle keeping the rpm below 7000, the speed was around 120kmph. The tachometer started flashing. I hit 120 kmph thrice on the same trip and nothing happened.
theconfusedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:49   #1239
BHPian

Would anyone know whether Keerthi Ecity Bengaluru is carrying out servicing? The app shows zero slots for an indefinite period and no one picks up their phone.
Old 30th October 2023, 12:57   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
The same thing happened to me. The rpm was not above 7000. There was an open stretch in the highway and there were no traffic. I opened throttle keeping the rpm below 7000, the speed was around 120kmph. The tachometer started flashing. I hit 120 kmph thrice on the same trip and nothing happened.
There is definitely some weird stuff going on, such as the completely unreliable Distance To Empty calculation, which seems to have been coded by the same guy who coded the Microsoft File Copy Time Remaining pop up.

My bike does not seem to be comfortable in low RPMs, which has something to do with the fueling issue I have mentioned earlier. It has nothing to do with my riding technique or ability. The bike once stalled when I coasted for a few seconds with the clutch pulled in while in sixth gear - this time, I could also rule out any fault with the side stand cut off switch. Apart from this, I have had the usual inexplicable stalls while in second and third gear at infrequent intervals.

I'm going to get this looked at thoroughly soon.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 15:11   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post

My bike does not seem to be comfortable in low RPMs, which has something to do with the fueling issue I have mentioned earlier. It has nothing to do with my riding technique or ability. The bike once stalled when I coasted for a few seconds with the clutch pulled in while in sixth gear - this time, I could also rule out any fault with the side stand cut off switch. Apart from this, I have had the usual inexplicable stalls while in second and third gear at infrequent intervals.

I'm going to get this looked at thoroughly soon.
luckily, I haven't had such issues yet. I have couple of issues though:

1. The shifting of gears isn't smooth. At times I could hear a "tuck" sound. Idk if its me or the bike. It wasn't there at first.
2. At times, instead of downshifting from 2-1, the gear will come to Neutral.
Old 30th October 2023, 19:45   #1242
BHPian

Anyone who’s got the bike, do you guys feel sometimes the bike revs itself, like I’ll be holding clutch to slow down, and suddenly the rpm kinda rises and comes down. This happens only when slowing down and while the clutch is held.
chakli_kodbale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:51   #1243
BHPian

@theconfusedguy I think you might be pressing the shifter too lightly while going from 2nd to 1st. This happens to me too. Regarding the hard / notchy shifts, tell your service center about it. I had notchiness while up shifting to 5th and 6th gears, which got mostly fixed during the first service.

@chakli_kodbale this must be happening with a cold engine. It's supposed to be expected behaviour. However if you are facing this with a hot engine, you should take the bike to the service center soon.
davelok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 23:11   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
To you and @davelok, have you guys got the first service done? Because there is an electronic limit until first service, from what I know. I observed it wouldnt go past 6500-7000 rpm before I got my first service done.
lazyrev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 06:05   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
To you and @davelok, have you guys got the first service done? Because there is an electronic limit until first service, from what I know. I observed it wouldnt go past 6500-7000 rpm before I got my first service done.
Interesting. I had the first service done a while back. I will check with the ASC about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks