Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 15:35   #1216
BHPian

First 1K up

Just crossed the 1K milestone on this beautiful machine & here are some points based on my experience so far:

* Very tractable engine. Pulls effortlessly on ghat roads & straight roads alike from 3rd gear/25 kmph without any stress. I want to plonk this engine into frame of my ADV 390

* I wish the brake lever had lesser play. I raised this issue with Triumph guys during first service and they said they're working on it.

* Heat on left hand side (inner thighs) is prominently felt during slow speeds (city roads or otherwise).

* The suspension is quite plush. Takes in all kinds of roads with ease.

* I am getting FE of ~ 30 KMPL in a variety of conditions. I think this is not bad for an engine of this capacity.

* The headlights are kind of okay but pair of aux lights will be needed if one were to go out touring on this.

* Triumph uses HP 10W-50 (fully synthetic) for this bike. I had taken Motul 7100 10W-50 with me and since it meets the specs (API SN+/ JASO MA2), the service guys were okay with it.

* The oil filter is shared with the Duke family . This means you can get the oil change done outside if you wish to.

* The spark plug too is of same make & rating as that of the Duke (Bosch VR6NEU). I have changed it to NGK LKAR8AI-9 without any problems.

Here are couple of pictures from a recent ride:

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231022_102313460.mpeffects.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20231022_112225858.mp.jpg
rb2399 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 15:58   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: First 1K up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Just crossed the 1K milestone on this beautiful machine & here are some points based on my experience so far:

* Very tractable engine. Pulls effortlessly on ghat roads & straight roads alike from 3rd gear/25 kmph without any stress. I want to plonk this engine into frame of my ADV 390

* I wish the brake lever had lesser play. I raised this issue with Triumph guys during first service and they said they're working on it.

* Heat on left hand side (inner thighs) is prominently felt during slow speeds (city roads or otherwise).

* The suspension is quite plush. Takes in all kinds of roads with ease.

* I am getting FE of ~ 30 KMPL in a variety of conditions. I think this is not bad for an engine of this capacity.

* The headlights are kind of okay but pair of aux lights will be needed if one were to go out touring on this.
Maybe the brake play is a design element to accomodate riders with bulky motocross boots.

Your bike is not fully run in yet. Am sure you will get your customary 35+ kmpl eventually.

The bike is surely a soft ride. What are your eventual longer non 300 km dinner ride luggage thoughts/options?

She must have been fun in the twisties.

Please let me know when you plan a trainee ride. Since North Sikkim, your choice in touring bikes has been progressively getting smaller and better.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2023 at 16:16.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:47   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Maybe the brake play is a design element to accomodate riders with bulky motocross boots.
This is the front brake lever, doc (hand)

Quote:
Your bike is not fully run in yet. Am sure you will get your customary 35+ kmpl eventually.
Maybe. Will need an extended highway ride to ascertain.

Quote:
The bike is surely a soft ride. What are your eventual longer non 300 km dinner ride luggage thoughts/options?
I've been using the tail bag from Viaterra for almost all of my outstation rides and I think it'll work on this bike as well.

Quote:
She must have been fun in the twisties.
You bet. Also, she's not that hefty, so it really helps in a way.

Quote:
Please let me know when you plan a trainee ride. Since North Sikkim, your choice in touring bikes has been progressively getting smaller and better.
Maybe MSH-4 again ?
rb2399 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:55   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
This is the front brake lever, doc (hand)

Maybe MSH-4 again ?
Oh ok. That needs to be crisp.

Will be too hot now for MSH4 methinks. But I'm in eitherways. Anyways. Have bike, will ride.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2023 at 17:06.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 21:26   #1220
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Took the bike out to a nearby ghat, for a photoshoot (credit to my wife for suggesting we don't procrastinate anymore).

I have an old Nikon D40x that was donated to me, by a friend, with a couple of lenses. I am still very much a beginner so do share your suggestions on how I can take better pictures. The bike does most of my job for me as she is gorgeous anyway.

Thought I'd share them here if anyone wants some nice wallpaper style pictures.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-dsc_566001.jpgTriumph Speed 400 Review-dsc_568401.jpg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-dsc_5681.jpg
lazyrev is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:02   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Got My speed 400 delivered today from Kochi Triumph showroom.
A short review/update. Did a 100 km round trip with the speed 2 days ago.

The engine is a beauty. Very refined and smooth. Power is available on request. The only drawback is the engine heat. Guess triumph owners have to live with it. When they find a solution and release V2, I hope it is backward compatible.

The ride is smooth. Brakes are not class leading, but good. The lights are not up to mark. Low beam is decent. High beam is a joke. It looks like a spot beam and points to where the low beam ends. Fog lights/ LED addon lights are a must for night travellers.

The mileage was great. It was 90 percent highway. I got 37 kmpl during the onward journey. While returing, the average dropped to 35 due to increased traffic. I was doing an average of 70-80 kmph throughout, with a sprint to 120 once , which was too easy to reach.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. Shall keep on updating as I ride more. Planning a ghat circuit in Kerala soon.
nettooran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:56   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Got the bike back at 1 pm and everything I asked for was checked. Total cost was 2056/-. The job was overall quite good.

I saw what they were doing and their service is quite thorough, so 3 hours is pretty reasonable imo. They had about 6-7 stations. They did some electronics diagnostics, changed oil, tightened up bolts, adjusted mirror mounts etc.
That's good to know. Thank you! I've booked my appointment for 10 AM next week and hopefully being midweek, my experience should hopefully be pretty close to this.
Old 25th October 2023, 12:59   #1223

Need some inputs on PPF vs Ceramic

I intend on getting a PPF done on the S400 soon, only on the side panels, the fuel tank and the instrument cluster as I could see a minor scratch on the fuel tank after I came from my short trip and want to protect the bike in general from scuffs, scratches and blemishes.

I am checking out a few guys in and around Thane for the same and contacted 3M - Mulund. They have a Scotchgard 100 and 200 series which seems pretty good with the pricing (INR 850 per sq.ft and INR 1150 per sq.ft. respectively).

Also spoke with OCD Detail Studio and he is charging 12,000 for the whole bike with a 5 years warranty with a PPF from HyperShield. He also suggested for a Ceramic from ArtdeShine that would be about INR 15,000.

Any suggestions/feedback about these two brands as well as any other stores and brands to check out in Thane would be greatly helpful.
Old 25th October 2023, 13:59   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinya95 View Post

I intend on getting a PPF done on the S400 soon, only on the side panels, the fuel tank and the instrument cluster as I could see a minor scratch on the fuel tank after I came from my short trip and want to protect the bike in general from scuffs, scratches and blemishes.

I am checking out a few guys in and around Thane for the same and contacted 3M - Mulund. They have a Scotchgard 100 and 200 series which seems pretty good with the pricing (INR 850 per sq.ft and INR 1150 per sq.ft. respectively).

Also spoke with OCD Detail Studio and he is charging 12,000 for the whole bike with a 5 years warranty with a PPF from HyperShield. He also suggested for a Ceramic from ArtdeShine that would be about INR 15,000.

Any suggestions/feedback about these two brands as well as any other stores and brands to check out in Thane would be greatly helpful.
Ok, so I went through what you went through. Noticed a couple of minor scratches and one zip scratch on my tank within the first 10 days. I realized that if I want to even just keep a bag on the tank or my helmet for a bit, I will end up scratching it.

After all the research, and some posts here, I understood that ceramic is oversold and overrated. It basically is a polish that shines the metal up and maybe protects from microscratches, UNTIL you wash the bike a couple of times. It will never protect from zips, helmets, bags, kids playing near your bikes etc. You need to get PPF done for that. You can always apply ceramic yourself with products that cost around 1-2k.

Coming to PPF, even I noticed wild pricing everywhere (Read my previous post (Triumph Speed 400 Review)). I finally got my tank+instrument panel done with Garware Premium PPF (5 yr warranty but this is pointless) for just 5000 from. Garware is pretty well known and even luxury car owners who have got it done vouched for it.

Note that I got quotes from 8k to 18k for the same PPF so the studios are charging a bomb when they want to. Get a lot more quotes from people before going ahead.

Also, why do you want to get the side panels covered? Only your thighs are in contact with it and they are made of black plastic anyway. Now, a new tank supposedly costs around 6-7k so if you are spending more than that on some plastic film, it may not make sense. Up to you, of course. All this is never about being practical anyway and we want to protect the bike we love.
lazyrev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 14:40   #1225
BHPian

I've changed my mind about getting PPF done for my bike. Just got a tank pad and thigh pads. The Viaterra tank bag I use has a soft lining on the bottom to protect the paint.

The only thing I want to guard against now is the rough, dirt-filled cloth the daily car cleaner uses - he's still cleaned my bike a couple of times without my asking him to do it, when I hadn't covered the bike up for a couple of days.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 17:45   #1226
BHPian

Has anyone here purchased these front number plate mounts?
I really want to mount my plate below, because I think it looks better.

https://motohawkonline.com/products/...lder-moto-crux

https://mototorque.in/products/trium...r-plate-holder

This is what it is going to look like:
Name:  1.png
Views: 677
Size:  271.9 KB
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 20:52   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here purchased these front number plate mounts?
What about the rivets on the existing HSRP plates? If you purchase these mounts, would you have to apply for another front HSRP plate again?

These look much better than the ones we have now.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 23:00   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
What about the rivets on the existing HSRP plates? If you purchase these mounts, would you have to apply for another front HSRP plate again?

These look much better than the ones we have now.
I checked online. It is fairly easy to remove the rivets with a drill and then put new rivets on after changing the mount. I cant do it at home but will ask mechanics around.

I anyway have to check because I got metal frames for both plates. The front plate has started to bend because of wind blast and the rear plate has already been bent once by someone who got too close to my bike. Dont want to risk the plates breaking so I am putting a frame like THIS.
Old 26th October 2023, 15:56   #1229

Quote:
Ok, so I went through what you went through. Noticed a couple of minor scratches and one zip scratch on my tank within the first 10 days. I realized that if I want to even just keep a bag on the tank or my helmet for a bit, I will end up scratching it.

After all the research, and some posts here, I understood that ceramic is oversold and overrated. It basically is a polish that shines the metal up and maybe protects from microscratches, UNTIL you wash the bike a couple of times. It will never protect from zips, helmets, bags, kids playing near your bikes etc. You need to get PPF done for that. You can always apply ceramic yourself with products that cost around 1-2k.
Ok, so I can discard Ceramic coating completely. Even a friend of mine who is waist deep in the automotive industry advised not to go with a ceramic.

Quote:
Coming to PPF, even I noticed wild pricing everywhere (Read my previous post (Triumph Speed 400 Review)). I finally got my tank+instrument panel done with Garware Premium PPF (5 yr warranty but this is pointless) for just 5000 from. Garware is pretty well known and even luxury car owners who have got it done vouched for it.
Ok, sure. Will have a look at it.

Quote:
Note that I got quotes from 8k to 18k for the same PPF so the studios are charging a bomb when they want to. Get a lot more quotes from people before going ahead.
Agreed. I think that stores are just quoting a lumpsum amount based on the bike you have rather than quoting a price based on the utilization of the sheet in per sq. ft.
Only 3M is doing it the right way. Have booked an appointment with their Mulund branch on Sunday when they will measure the bike and give me a quotation on that.

Quote:
Also, why do you want to get the side panels covered? Only your thighs are in contact with it and they are made of black plastic anyway. Now, a new tank supposedly costs around 6-7k so if you are spending more than that on some plastic film, it may not make sense. Up to you, of course. All this is never about being practical anyway and we want to protect the bike we love.
Ok, will give this a thought and may be skip it. Will do it only for the tank and the instrument cluster. The problem is people can do anything
chinya95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 01:26   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinya95 View Post

You can check out WeCare Automotive Services in Thane West. I think DM options aren't open for you yet else would've shared the contact. I have been getting my Tiger cleaned/detailed (along with Ceramic coating) from them for the past 3 years now. Very reliable and the owner, Chetan is a rider himself (owns a Tiger and Ninja) - so well knowing about how precious these bikes are for us!

Hope this helps.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks