Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:26   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
The point is not my technique, but the issue that has also been reported by a few others of the motorcycle stalling suddenly in certain circumstances. By the way I was doing exactly what you said above - blipping the gear to match my speed as I saddled over the hump.
My apologies for misunderstanding then. I thought this is what you wrote -

"Also, the bike stalled again while going over a speed bump with the clutch pulled in, only this time in the fourth gear."

So I was wondering why you had the clutch pulled in. If you are doing it how its normally done, your engine will be engaged, under power.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2023 at 13:29.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 16:28   #1202

2-days 377 km ride from Thane to Pune

A bit long post since it will have a few of my observations regarding my S400 in general after doing a weekend trip from Thane to Pune and back with a few of my friends.

So till Friday, the whole running on the bike was in city with office commutes of about 16km per day and a few trips to show the bike to a few friends and acquaintances.

Managed to convince my friends for a trip to Pune over the weekend so that even I can start putting in some miles in the bike and get the first service done ASAP so that the bike can be gradually opened up to reach mid and high revs.

We started from Thane at about 6 a.m. Absolutely no hiccup while starting the bike and cranked in the first go itself. And I can say that the exhaust note has a really nice ring to it when heard in isolation and in a quiet morning. Sounds quite similar to the Dominor but has a bit more low end to it. Another point to highlight that was observed in the relatively dark-ish morning was the headlight. It is very efficient and strong even with the low beam. The high beam is equally impressive which I was able to use it to a good effect while riding from Pune to Sinhagad where the roads are quite twisty, isolated and narrow.

Coming to the bike itself, it is an absolute gem of a machine.

It is extremely easy to flick in to corners and is able to follow every command with relative ease.
Ask it to ride on a highway, it will do it very well. Since I was still in the run-in period, I was asked by the sales con during delivery to keep it under 5K till the first servicing. Regardless, the roads from Mumbai to Pune have never been smooth and have a lot of undulations and potholes filled with paver blocks.

With these few things in mind, I was at a constant 80 km/hr in 6th gear with the engine at 3500 to 4000 rpm. And that is when I realized that this is the sweetest spot for the whole bike in general. It just easily glides over the roads as smooth as butter tackling every bump and small pot-holes without breaking any sweat. The suspension is so well balanced in its stock setting that you are very comfortable over such uneven roads. There was a bit of windblast that came in at this speed but nothing to complain about at all. Even an oncoming fast vehicle will hardly make you un-nervy.

Another point worth highlighting is the braking performance which was excellent throughout. Robust in coming from 80 to 20 without any fuss. A higher pressure on the front and then a gradual rear brake progression works very well in bringing the bike from high to low speeds.

Heating is a thing!

Now, riding the bike in the relatively cool morning did not make the engine run the fan at all. It barely turned on 4-5 times when we entered the traffic prone area in Pune at around 9:30 or so but even then, it was only for a few seconds or so.

However, while riding in the evening at about 5 p.m. or so in Pune's dense traffic on Satara road towards Sinhagad, I had a hard time. The fan was almost ON the whole way and though the heat was never unbearable, it will definitely make you warm. And again on the return ride yesterday, which began at about 11:30 or so from Pune, the heating was an issue till we cleared Pune's traffic. After that, it did not turn ON till we reached another traffic area near Navi Mumbai. Still not unbearable, but only warm.

Now I expect that some of it is definitely due to the very high ambient temps (36-37 degree Celsius) and also the fact that the bike is still on mineral oil. Synthetic oil will definitely reduce some of the heating is my wishful thinking.

Regarding fuel economy, since I had filled up the tank last week, during delivery, my mileage figure on the onwards journey was never calculated accurately, but basis on my calculations, I seemed to have got about 26-28 km/L.
I did fuel up the bike when I reached Pune and I expect the figure to be around similar or probably around 33-35 km/L more. (Planning on using an app called Drivvo to track the bike expenses to understand its overall TCO.)

Overall, I would rate the bike a solid 8.5 out of 10.

Perks of owning a Triumph

Now, I am pretty sure, I am one of those rare bunch of people in Mumbai/Thane who own a Speed 400 and I am mighty proud of her. Was able to keep up with a group of Triumph big bike owners near Navi Mumbai who waved and saluted to me and the same was returned with equal (probably more) enthusiasm by yours truly. And in fact, had a small chat with a 1200 Tiger owner on a relatively small distance of the ride.

Hoping to meet a few new friends and acquaintances over this period of ownership to go on rides and connect with more fellow owners.

Sharing a few pics for your consumption:
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231021_081205.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231022_112059.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231022_162228-1.jpg  

chinya95 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:34   #1203
BHPian

Pune folks, here's a question for you.

Any idea how much time BUB SS takes for first service of S400? Is there any chance they will do it on the same day if I wait there for the entire day mid-week? If not, how many days have they taken to service your bikes on an average?

I'm in a dilemma since I stay at Hinjewadi and traveling twice to Camp and back without the bike will be painful, particularly with the University circle chaos through the day. So if BUB can't service it on the same day, I would rather ride it down to my Mumbai place (and add a couple of hundred more kms in the process) and get it serviced there than do the camp trip twice by public transport.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
spectre13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:45   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
Wow! Hinjewadi to Camp. That's like a 40-50 km round trip, depending on where in Hinjewadi you live.

My preferred KTM Sai Service in Wagholi (which I find really far and where I would definitely sit and get my bike serviced and take it back) is 15 km one way from Camp. Similar crazy Wagholi traffic.

The closest Metro station to us is Ruby Hall apparently. About 3 km away. If that helps.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2023 at 17:50.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:52   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wow! Hinjewadi to Camp. That's like a 40-50 km round trip, depending on where in Hinjewadi you live.

My preferred KTM Sai Service in Wagholi (which I find really far and where I would definitely sit and get my bike serviced and take it back) is 15 km one way from Camp. Similar crazy Wagholi traffic.
Yes! Which is why the dilemma. I always prefer to wait and get my vehicles serviced on the same day, irrespective of how long it takes. But I read somewhere that some SS take up to 3-4 days to service S400. So waiting isn't an option.

Also, traveling from Phase 1 to Camp by public transport or Ola/Uber is really unpleasant and painful (not to mention, expensive!).
spectre13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:57   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes! Which is why the dilemma. I always prefer to wait and get my vehicles serviced on the same day, irrespective of how long it takes. But I read somewhere that some SS take up to 3-4 days to service S400. So waiting isn't an option.

Also, traveling from Phase 1 to Camp by public transport or Ola/Uber is really unpleasant and painful (not to mention, expensive!).
Totally understand.

What I can do to help is offer you my Hercules MTB. I'll first check if the tyres and inner tubes are in good nick. Everything else is fine. You can drop in and pick the cycle up to ride back to Hinjewadi, and ride back on it on the day your bike is ready, and drop it back at my place.

If you are reasonably fit, you will probably be faster than or at least as fast as the Uber/Ola anyways.

My place is walking distance from the Triumph workshop.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2023 at 18:13.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 18:12   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

1st service will take about 3 hours end-to-end.

The SS taking 3-4 days to complete 1st service must be the good for nothing Keerthi from Bangalore. BUB Camp is not Keerthi.

They have an air-conditioned lounge with Wifi where you can wait while they work on the bike. Use the large glass window to keep an eye out while the technicians do their thing.

I carried my laptop and got some work done. You can take a stroll and explore some of the famous food options around in case you are looking to kill some time. But don't go back to Hinjewadi .

Last edited by antz.bin : 23rd October 2023 at 18:15.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 18:37   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Totally understand.
What I can do to help is offer you my Hercules MTB. I'll first check if the tyres and inner tubes are in good nick. My place is walking distance from the Triumph workshop.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for this very generous offer. I really appreciate it I'll definitely consider this in case BUB takes unexpectedly long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
They have an air-conditioned lounge with Wifi where you can wait while they work on the bike. Use the large glass window to keep an eye out while the technicians do their thing.
You can take a stroll and explore some of the famous food options around in case you are looking to kill some time. But don't go back to Hinjewadi .
LoL That's good to know! That was precisely my plan, to get some work done on the laptop and then enjoy the awesome variety of culinary treats that Camp has to offer, while my bike gets serviced.
spectre13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:23   #1209
BHPian

Quote:

Any idea how much time BUB SS takes for first service of S400? Is there any chance they will do it on the same day if I wait there for the entire day mid-week? If not, how many days have they taken to service your bikes on an average?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I went on a Tuesday and was there at 11 am in the morning. I asked them to give the bike back to me before lunch and they did, with some time to spare. Got the bike back at 1 pm and everything I asked for was checked. Total cost was 2056/-. The job was overall quite good.
I suggest going on a weekday morning because Saturdays will 100% be overloaded for them, since Sundays are a weekly off. Even on weekdays, prefer the morning because around 1 pm I saw 3-4 other folks coming in, so I guess it took 3-4 hours for them.

As someone else said, the waiting area is good. They have plugpoints, wifi and AC. You can easily work from there if you have a laptop. I did that myself and saved an earned leave.

I saw what they were doing and their service is quite thorough, so 3 hours is pretty reasonable imo. They had about 6-7 stations. They did some electronics diagnostics, changed oil, tightened up bolts, adjusted mirror mounts etc.
lazyrev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:26   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
The point is not my technique, but the issue that has also been reported by a few others of the motorcycle stalling suddenly in certain circumstances. By the way I was doing exactly what you said above - blipping the gear to match my speed as I saddled over the hump.
It could be a clutch switch or side stand switch problem. Since you are stalling the bike when the clutch is being pulled in, it looks like some safety mechanism is kicking in and stalling the engine.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:33   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
It could be a clutch switch or side stand switch problem. Since you are stalling the bike when the clutch is being pulled in, it looks like some safety mechanism is kicking in and stalling the engine.
The side stand switch could possibly be the culprit. I'll check if that is indeed the case. Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:59   #1212
BHPian

Are they still offering the introductory price of 2.23 for the Speed 400? I visited Triumph One in Naraina, Delhi and they were willing to give it to me for 2.23 in 4 days flat....wonder whats going on.
Old 23rd October 2023, 22:18   #1213
BHPian

Looks like Triumph has sold close to 7500 Speed 400s in the last two months. A very health number considering it's a new product and Triumph is a new entrant in this segment.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-top10motorcycles300cc500ccseptember2023mommin.jpg
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 01:48   #1214

A Burgman Street 125 owner test drives the Triumph Speed 400

Hi all, bit of background on my experience with bikes (or lack thereof) -
  • For the last 10 years have only driven scooters – first my dad’s Access 125 and now my own Burgman 125.
  • The bike bug began gnawing at me in Feb ’23, and have been passively following bike news since then.
  • I got a chance to drive my cousin's Classic 350 briefly in April (with him sitting behind me)
  • From May, I began driving to office (60km roundtrip) on my scooter to get used to driving.
  • I got my MCWG (Motorcycle With Gear) license in August, having practiced on a Splendor - I already had the MCWOG license.
The Speed and Scrambler had instantly excited me when I saw the launch – getting carried away by the hype train I booked the Scrambler 400X as soon as I passed my DL test.

Having read the horror stories of Keerthi Triumph, I gave them a very wide berth and instead booked at Khivraj E-City even though that’s more than 20km from my house. I was pleasantly surprised to learn abut Khivraj Whitefield a few days later – given the proximity to my office, I couldn’t resist and went in for a test drive.

The procedure was fairly seamless – needed to show my DL, scan a QR and fill out the test ride form. Shoes and pants were mandatory (unlike beloved Keerthi, no demand for “jeans only”).

And now, coming to the bike itself –
  • Despite being 75kg heavier than my scooter, I felt no difficulty at all while pushing it, taking it off the stand, turning etc.
  • Being 5’11, I didn’t feel any major issues with the low seat, atleast on the short test drive.
  • The rear view mirrors felt small compared to my scooter but I guess it’s manageable since they are bar end.
  • The bike starts moving very smoothly when the clutch is released.
  • However I could not for the life of me figure out how to smoothly engage the throttle is applied – I always felt a jerk as the gear engaged – could be my noobishness rearing its head.
  • To summarize the performance in one sentence – The bike doesn’t roll, it flies . I couldn’t believe just how fast I was able to pick up speed and do overtakes. Then again this was my first proper solo bike ride, so I guess the novelty will wear off.
  • The fan is pretty loud and I felt a hot blast of air on my left leg. I suppose some heating is to be expected on all bikes, but idk if it should be felt that strongly. Probably need to test drive a KTM 390 ADV and see
Overall, I liked the engine – and am eagerly waiting for a chance to TD the Scrambler 400X, as that might be better suited to my height.
Carfool_Wheeler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 13:56   #1215
BHPian

I tried to install the pullback handlebar risers I bought from Carbon Racing all by myself today.

Turns out that the cables that go from the throttle to the console / headlight are too short. I almost pulled out the two tiny connectors from the throttle assembly while trying to pull the handlebar onto the raised clamps. So don't try to install risers without professional help.

I had to remove the risers and then figure out if I had fitted the handle back correctly. Marking the sides and vertical positioning before taking anything apart will be quite prudent for all DIY enthusiasts. I don't recommend the pullback risers due to the cable length issue, but try even the straight risers at your own risk.

One more thing: the Carbon Racing risers come with a set of eight screws, four of which go into the original base to fit the riser, and four into the upper clamp to fit the handle. These screws are shorter than the original four that you have to take off first to remove the handlebar. The originals will not be of use as they're now too long, but you should store them safely in case you need to revert to the original setting.
davelok is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks