Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 18:13   #1186

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Hey guys, is there anyone other than me who isn't able to fetch the vehicle details on parivahan even weeks after delivery with the number plate? I received my number from the RTO around 28th Sept, and delivery on 5th Oct.
Old 20th October 2023, 18:28   #1187
BHPian

Got My speed 400 delivered today from Kochi Triumph showroom. The delivery experiance was nothing to complain about. Booked by making complete payment by end of september and I was told 2 weeks delay.

The bike arrived in 2 weeks , but the registration took some time and was completed yesterday. On road in Kochi comes to 2.97L. Extended warranty for 3 years is free. However their is limit on mileage. Its 5 years or 45k kms. First 2 years is unlimited.

Have not ridden the bike for long. Just about 10 kms from showroom to home and I realized that wearing barmudas/shorts/Mundu should not be considered while riding this bike. Heat is much higher than I expected. No wonder it is a talking point in all reviews.

Other than that it is a very nice bike. small, flickable, powerful, refined and comfortable.

I have been riding a 4 speed CI bullet for last 16 years. The trasnformation is going to take time
nettooran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 18:58   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Got My speed 400 delivered today from Kochi Triumph showroom. The delivery experiance was nothing to complain about.
Congratulations mate!

Enjoy your new ride!

RR
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 20:47   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The uncharacteristic part was how he seems to have changed his opinion in the recent video.

That said, agree with you and full respect to Shumi's opinion - those who have followed him long enough can understand his views and in line with his personal biases as he has called out earlier as well.
I much prefer a regular guy like me who loves and rides bikes and has strong views on them and is not afraid to voice them.

Than a slick "techie" cookie cutter presenter who mouths stats and opinions but who I do not know and have never seen ride.

When I know a guy, how he rides, what he likes, what he loves, what he hates, I am comfortable in knowing where his words come from and what they mean for me.

There is also an unabashed Poona old boys thing going on here. Us versus the world. Don't necessarily agree with him on a lot. Bullets for instance. Nor am I a fanboi. Given we are the same vintage.

But on topic, his views on the 400 pretty much mirror mine. Don't know about the old video or views. Just this one posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Got My speed 400 delivered today from Kochi Triumph showroom.

I have been riding a 4 speed CI bullet for last 16 years. The trasnformation is going to take time
Congrats buddy. A man after my own heart. I own a 2002 Std 500 too. Cast Iron. 4 speed Albion gearbox. The daddy.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th October 2023 at 20:51.
Old 20th October 2023, 21:23   #1190
BHPian

I booked my Triumph Speed 400 from their official site on 17 July, 2023 after paying an initial booking amount of Rs 2000/-, guess what! I was not in their list of first 10000 bookings, so never expected any discount. After few days of booking I received a call from OSL Auto VIP road and they provided me the quoted amount as below:

ON ROAD PRICE - KOLKATA (Non-BH Registration)

EX SHOWROOM - ₹ 2,32,997/-
ROAD TAX & REGISTRATION - ₹ 23,890/-
Handling charges - ₹ 1,500/-
Insurance - ₹ 23,632/-
On road - ₹ 2,82,018/-

But, the purchase amount was about to reduce further in my case since I will be getting a BH series number.

On 2nd September,2023 OSL Auto requested me for another tranche of payment so that my booking remains confirmed. I paid another 30k on the same day and paid the remaining amount of Rs. 2,50,018/- on 12th September. The SE from OSL Autos told me that it will allow me to get another 10k as introductory discount if I make the full payment before 15th September, so I abided. On 23rd Sep, Saturday visited their Taratala stockyard to do the PDI. Everything was found to be ok with an accepted odometer reading of 2Km. Now it was time for final delivery after RTO registration.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2678.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2680.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2682.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2681.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2685.jpeg

The above are few shots from the stockyard.

Within few days of PDI the BH registration was process was completed. My delivery was scheduled on the Auspicious day of Mahalaya (Sat, 14th Oct), but I couldn’t reach the dealership due to huge pre-puja Kolkata traffic jam. Next day reached the dealership 10:30AM in the morning, it wasn’t much of an eventful day. The dealer had provided a comprehensive insurance without getting my consent. But since its a brand new bike and I am planning to keep this vehicle for lifetime with me so I expected a zero-dep policy same like my new Thar’s which I took delivery just few months ago in March 2023. Initially they refused to acknowledge this blunder made from their part and told me its not possible to change the policy type once issued. I had to use up my contact with a friend from Bajaj Allianz and he informed it’s possible to change the insurance type if dealer wants. So I straightway denied the delivery if they are not providing me a zero-dep bumper to bumper policy, and after few more push they accepted their mistake on the insurance part and took a letter from me to change it.

The delivery time odometer reading was 32Km since they wanted to run the vehicle from the stockyard till the dealership rather than carrying these vehicles on a road carriage. The reason for doing so is to make a final test run before delivery and if any niggle pops up during that test run they can get enough time to sort it out well before handing it over to the customer. Thats a good reasoning IMO.

And the final delivery day:

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2781.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2787.jpeg

Couldn’t miss the opportunity to test my riding posture on these bigger Triumphs.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2791.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2797.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2800.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2805.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2806.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2810.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2813.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2816.jpeg

On the way, Triumph coming home.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_2818.jpeg

Finally, parked inside the stable safely after a 10km return ride.

Note: During my first ride of it, due to my sudden leap from a 153cc 2011 Yamaha Fzs to 398cc 2023 Triumph I struggled to keep it below 3rd/4th gear most of the time as this beast was trying to make an wheelie everytime I tried to control it through lower gears. The ride quality is very safe, makes the rider confident and it absorbs most of the road undulations and bad road patches super smoothly. The acceleration and brakes are strong and instant due to the incorporation of ride by wire system and a big 300mm front disk.
topse is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 21:29   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topse View Post
I booked my Triumph Speed 400 from their official site on 17 July, 2023 after paying an initial booking amount of Rs 2000/-, guess what! I was not in their list of first 10000 bookings, so never expected any discount. After few days of booking I received a call from OSL Auto VIP road and they provided me the quoted amount as below:

Finally, parked inside the stable safely after a 10km return ride.

Note: During my first ride of it, due to my sudden leap from a 153cc 2011 Yamaha Fzs to 398cc 2023 Triumph I struggled to keep it below 3rd/4th gear most of the time as this beast was trying to make an wheelie everytime I tried to control it through lower gears. The ride quality is very safe, makes the rider confident and it absorbs most of the road undulations and bad road patches super smoothly. The acceleration and brakes are strong and instant due to the incorporation of ride by wire system and a big 300mm front disk.
Congrats buddy. Use her well!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 22:25   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topse View Post
The delivery time odometer reading was 32Km since they wanted to run the vehicle from the stockyard till the dealership rather than carrying these vehicles on a road carriage. The reason for doing so is to make a final test run before delivery and if any niggle pops up during that test run they can get enough time to sort it out well before handing it over to the customer. Thats a good reasoning IMO.
Firstly congratulations on your new ride. Getting the bike with 10K discount makes it a real value for money product. I guess Triumph will make up for all the initial 10K discount loss by offsetting it with the Scrambler sales with it's relatively higher price tag

Coming to the delivery ODO reading of 32kms, I personally wouldn't prefer such high run on a brand new bike which hasn't been run-in from factory. There's a very high chance that the showroom folks do not ride the bike gently as it should be ridden during the initial run-in period. Always ask them to deliver the bike with the least amount of distance covered, they should ideally get the bikes transported to the showroom instead of riding it down. If they insist on riding it down then you should be the one to be riding it till the showroom from their yard since the bike is already paid for and technically it's your machine.

During my car purchase, the showroom wanted to drive down the car from their yard which was like 50kms away, I insisted on getting the car transported on a container which they obliged and I got the car delivered with just 5kms on ODO.
Old 21st October 2023, 08:57   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Than a slick "techie" cookie cutter presenter who mouths stats and opinions but who I do not know and have never seen ride.
I agree, I want people who talk about the experience rather than the spec sheet. Big Bear Customs' Bosky is really great at that.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 18:30   #1194
BHPian

I tried to see how high speed feels on the bike today, on an open road. I leaned into the wind and took it up to almost 120kmph (speedo is wrong, so this is my guess) when the tachometer started flashing [edit: IIRC it was doing around 8000rpm]! Why would it do so?

By the way, the surge in power after 100kmph is impressive - the bike just wants to pull away from your hands and is quite vibey. I don't think these can be called 'cruising speeds'.

Also, the bike stalled again while going over a speed bump with the clutch pulled in, only this time in the fourth gear. It sometimes looks like the rpm is fluctuating quickly when the throttle is opened just a little. I'm guessing this is an issue either with the fuel pump or the input from the throttle has some problem.

Last edited by davelok : 22nd October 2023 at 18:31.
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:38   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
I tried to see how high speed feels on the bike today, on an open road. I leaned into the wind and took it up to almost 120kmph (speedo is wrong, so this is my guess) when the tachometer started flashing [edit: IIRC it was doing around 8000rpm]! Why would it do so?

Also, the bike stalled again while going over a speed bump with the clutch pulled in, only this time in the fourth gear. It sometimes looks like the rpm is fluctuating quickly when the throttle is opened just a little. I'm guessing this is an issue either with the fuel pump or the input from the throttle has some problem.
You must have redlined it when the tachometer started flashing.

You must have slowed down considerably for a speed bump and 4th gear is not for such slow/low speeds, almost any bike will stall since you won’t be able to pick it up. Over a speed breaker you need to come down the gear box to 1st or maximum 2nd.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 03:23   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
You must have redlined it when the tachometer started flashing.
The bike redlining at 120 is odd. I had just had the tyres inflated to the correct pressure, and there was no strong headwind.

Quote:
You must have slowed down considerably for a speed bump and 4th gear is not for such slow/low speeds, almost any bike will stall since you won’t be able to pick it up. Over a speed breaker you need to come down the gear box to 1st or maximum 2nd.
No, the clutch was fully pulled in, so the gear doesn't matter. This has happened in the second and third gears also. It seems that the fuel supply cuts off suddenly in such circumstances.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 08:43   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
The bike redlining at 120 is odd. I had just had the tyres inflated to the correct pressure, and there was no strong headwind.
You sure you were on 6th gear ? Because from what I've seen in videos, redlining at 120 kmph happens on 4th gear. 5th gear redlining happens around 145 and 6th gear redlining around 165.
PS - I don't own the bike. I just saw this post and mentioning what I've observed in the various videos I've seen on YT.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:13   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
You sure you were on 6th gear ? Because from what I've seen in videos, redlining at 120 kmph happens on 4th gear. 5th gear redlining happens around 145 and 6th gear redlining around 165.
As far as I know, yes. I don't like revving too much, so I tend to shift up as soon as possible. Anyway, I'm not going to drive at 120 kmph again, so it's a moot point.

One more thing I observed yesterday was that Distance To Empty continues to be flaky. It was fluctuating in the range of 350km and 400km based on how I was riding, while the fuel average number (around 670km on the odo) was 32kmpl.
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:43   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, the clutch was fully pulled in, so the gear doesn't matter. This has happened in the second and third gears also. It seems that the fuel supply cuts off suddenly in such circumstances.
The only time you pull the clutch in, is to shift gears. Or when you need to slip it in a traffic crawl. Why did you pull it in for a speed hump? At most blip, shift down, get your bums off the saddle or weight your pegs, and simply sail over the hump.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:23   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The only time you pull the clutch in, is to shift gears. Or when you need to slip it in a traffic crawl. Why did you pull it in for a speed hump? At most blip, shift down, get your bums off the saddle or weight your pegs, and simply sail over the hump.
The point is not my technique, but the issue that has also been reported by a few others of the motorcycle stalling suddenly in certain circumstances. By the way I was doing exactly what you said above - blipping the gear to match my speed as I saddled over the hump.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks