Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2023, 11:19   #1156

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Speed 400 Red delivered

After a lot of pain points that came during my entire purchase experience of the Speed 400, I finally was able to get it delivered on Sunday.

Delivery Process

There were a few niggles in the delivery process as the Thane showroom was jam packed with about 10-15 Speed 400 deliveries as well as a Street Triple R.

Minor issues:
1. The documentation was not properly kept
2. There were a few dirt spots on the engine casing which were duly cleaned when highlighted

Since the team was heavily under-staffed, the high-end bike sales guy, Kamran, was handling the deliveries and he was a handling it very well.

Happiness

Mighty pleased with the bike though. The fit & finish is absolute best and the red color looks stunning when the sun shines on it in a particular angle.

Currently, I have only clocked about 30 km on the odometer with most of the running just to show the bike to acquaintances and friends. However, will be going on a Pune trip this weekend and will share my experience and some photos soon.

Have christened the bike as Syrah, after the red wine.
chinya95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:06   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinya95 View Post

Speed 400 Red delivered

After a lot of pain points that came during my entire purchase experience of the Speed 400, I finally was able to get it delivered on Sunday.

[h3]Delivery Process[/H3

Since the team was heavily under-staffed, the high-end bike sales guy, Kamran, was handling the deliveries and he was a handling it very well.

Happiness

Mighty pleased with the bike though. The fit & finish is absolute best and the red color looks stunning when the sun shines on it in a particular angle.

Currently, I have only clocked about 30 km on the odometer with most of the running just to show the bike to acquaintances and friends. However, will be going on a Pune trip this weekend and will share my experience and some photos soon.

Have christened the bike as Syrah, after the red wine.
Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the Speed 400 club. I hope you have millions of safe and happy miles on your motorcycle.

The delivery experience is pathetic everywhere, just be happy that your bike has no issues. I’ve seen Triumph is at least being good with PDI, trying to give niggles/issues free bike to customers. I saw 4-5 rejected bikes in the basement warehouse of One Triumph Delhi. They are sending damaged units back to the factory for repair and rework. Not passing them off to the customer which is good. That’s how bad customer experience standards are these days with Triumph. I’m still waiting for my number. Though today the payment was finally made at the RTO so it won’t be too long now. I hope triumph becomes better at it after they are some way through their expansion.

Congratulations again and safe riding.
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:09   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
You're right. Last week when someone finally noticed my bike in the office parking, the second question he asked me was about the mileage, and the third one about what I thought of the Harley.

I wish I could have told him a bit more than "heavier and less powerful".
You could have said a lot more but why bother with what people think. As long as you’re happy with your bike. I think anyday Speed400 is a better choice than “Harley” 440X.

The only thing better than Speed is Scrambler because it’s better for touring. But at a higher price. It’s the best thing to have this side of the ADVs, kind of best of both worlds, city riding and touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Saw this bike last week.

The bike is super SMALL!

This cant even compete with an FZ. I actually thought this was a 100cc bike when I first saw it.

Dont think this can compete with harley for road presence.
Ouch. FZ se compare kardiya sir, hurts.
Yes the bike is small and in one look you can’t make out the 400cc engine and the power it has but it was never meant to be that. It’s understated and not in your face. That’s a bit of a theme with Triumph if you look at their Bonneville and Speed Twin range But if you look longer at it the wide handlebars, tyres and the shockers give it away. This was missing in the entry level sports bike segment that was m

It’s a better product than Harley over-all. Also depends on what you like. The most street presence for the least money I’d say Supermeteor/Interceptor/Jawa Bobber/Xpulse do the trick best.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th October 2023 at 15:51. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 18th October 2023, 16:27   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the Speed 400 club. I hope you have millions of safe and happy miles on your motorcycle.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
The delivery experience is pathetic everywhere, just be happy that your bike has no issues. I’ve seen Triumph is at least being good with PDI, trying to give niggles/issues free bike to customers. I saw 4-5 rejected bikes in the basement warehouse of One Triumph Delhi. They are sending damaged units back to the factory for repair and rework. Not passing them off to the customer which is good. That’s how bad customer experience standards are these days with Triumph.
I can completely understand where you are coming from since this thread does have so many posts about negative delivery experience and I empathize with all of you since we are into premium motorcycling territory and expect better treatment.

To be fair to the Shaman Triumph in Mumbai and Thane, except the initial niggles w.r.t. bike allotment and the push for making the payment upfront without actually seeing the bike, the experience has been pretty smooth

Quote:
I’m still waiting for my number. Though today the payment was finally made at the RTO so it won’t be too long now. I hope triumph becomes better at it after they are some way through their expansion.

Congratulations again and safe riding.
I do hope that things will get sorted out for the rest of the dealerships pan-India so that all those who are getting their bikes will have a better customer experience.
chinya95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 09:39   #1160
BHPian

A sudden change of heart at the MotorInc office?!
BatmanTDK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 10:35   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanTDK View Post
Yeah, just saw this, have the gora sahibs finally forgiven Shumi after it?
AulusGabinius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:34   #1162
BHPian

Gave the bike for first service on 14th Oct (867 KMs, Keerthi Triumph, Blr), Got the bike 17th Oct. Still one of the small issue of oil leakage reported not fixed infact I'm seeing more leakage. They plan to take the bike tomorrow and refix it, Will provide more details after getting the bike.
TopSpeeder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:05   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Gave the bike for first service on 14th Oct (867 KMs, Keerthi Triumph, Blr), Got the bike 17th Oct. Still one of the small issue of oil leakage reported not fixed infact I'm seeing more leakage. They plan to take the bike tomorrow and refix it, Will provide more details after getting the bike.
Was the first service after 45 days of delivery?

Also why are they holding a bike for 3 days to just change oil
Old 19th October 2023, 14:55   #1164
BHPian

I got my bike yesterday from Triumph Kochi.

The overall delivery experience was very poor. They asked me to come before 12 so that I can get the bike between 12:30-1 pm. I got my bike at 2:30. They just gave me the key and asked me to go. My SA didn't even care to meet me at the time of delivery. I had to ask for him to meet him. I thanked him. I felt like he doesn't really care for Speed 400 customers. The other SA was very helpful. Explained everything and was courteous enough to answer all my questions. He suggested to get the bike serviced at 10k km or 1 year whichever early.

I rode the bike around 200 kms and apart from the heating everything was fine. Touched 120 Kmph couple of times (couldn't resit it) on an open highway and the vibrations were manageable. There is heating and the sound of the fan is weird. Overall both me and my partner loved the ride. It was very smooth.

I have couple of issues though:

1. My instrument cluster has some moisture trapped inside it. It was not there in the showroom. I called the service and they said it will go after some time - just keep it under sunlight for a while. It did go when I kept the bike idle for an hour or so. But the same thing happened today morning. The overall quantity of the moisture has reduced though. Should I be concerned about it?
2. Towards the end of a long ride (around 150Km), whenever I pressed front brake, there was a weird sound coming. I'm not sure if its sound of the fan or not. Couldn't confirm it.
No sounds while using the rear brake.
theconfusedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:41   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post

I have couple of issues though:

1. My instrument cluster has some moisture trapped inside it. It was not there in the showroom. I called the service and they said it will go after some time - just keep it under sunlight for a while. It did go when I kept the bike idle for an hour or so. But the same thing happened today morning. The overall quantity of the moisture has reduced though. Should I be concerned about it?
2. Towards the end of a long ride (around 150Km), whenever I pressed front brake, there was a weird sound coming. I'm not sure if its sound of the fan or not. Couldn't confirm it.
Congratulations on your new machine. Even I got mine this Sunday from Keerthi Bangalore. Experience was very meeh. I was just happy and excited that I finally got my bike. Will be writing up a review soon.

Coming to the issues:
1. This is not normal untill they pressure washed the bike and maybe some moisture entered into the console. If it doesn't clear up better get it checked and replaced under warranty. May be minor seal gap.

2. Did the bike go in dusty terrain? This is a common Problem with sintered brake pads. Clean the brakes with pressure air/water. It happens when dust is stuck in the break pads.

Hope this helps!
sk_cheek13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 16:05   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_cheek13 View Post
Congratulations on your new machine. Even I got mine this Sunday from Keerthi Bangalore. Experience was very meeh. I was just happy and excited that I finally got my bike. Will be writing up a review soon.
Thank You. Congratulations to you as well. Same, my bike was delayed only a few days because of RTO issues. I am happy that I could get it finally.

Quote:
1. This is not normal untill they pressure washed the bike and maybe some moisture entered into the console. If it doesn't clear up better get it checked and replaced under warranty. May be minor seal gap.
Yeah my brother & Dad said the same. Should I do it now or wait for the first service?

Quote:
2. Did the bike go in dusty terrain? This is a common Problem with sintered brake pads. Clean the brakes with pressure air/water. It happens when dust is stuck in the break pads.
Not really. The highway i rode wasn't that dusty thanks to rains. It is not happening now. Happened only at 70+ kmph. I will go for a short ride Saturday and if it happens again, I will go to the service center.
Old 19th October 2023, 16:43   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/QQ2PmoT9kVQ?feature=shared
Don't understand the "change" reference because I am new to the thread, but I have seen and ridden BHPian rb2399's 400 and the below were my thoughts ... which do seem to be somewhat similar to Shumi's reaction too.

On Rohit's 400, I loved it. I was however surprised at the power figures and claimed top speed being so high. Did not feel like that. I remember a couple of times or more being slotted in 6th and pressing down for more. Very nimble and really fun to fool around leg out Rossi style in corners and chuck her around. Very nice simple cockpit. Loved the ergos. And the feel of the bike. As well as the pliant suspension .... so soft (yet not saggy or sway-y) compared to my crazy Duke.

Its a lovely bike. Bit small to look at. But once astride, I fit quite well on her. And Rohit is nearly my same height. P.S. It will be a tad small for 2-up touring with luggage. It's got the same 3/4th bike cut-off feel to it that is now the signature of all the new reincarnated Yezdis. Like what you do to a standard street bike by cutting off the rear end to mod it for dirt or offroad. Hence my Scrambler reference later on.

Lovely brakes too. But now with new rotor and pads and bleeding and new fluid and Sheri's fine fettling, mine are very very strong and confidence inspiring too. I prefer a single saddle over the two piece sharply stepped one like the Duke that anchors you into one position front to back. Nice exhaust too. Very yummy golden racy fork legs. My only gripe is the too busy tank decals. They look best in the black one. Which no one seems to be buying. Sheri and the other bawas at his workshop agree. And they too are all praise for the bike and its tech and overall fit finish and performance.

The icing on the cake is the unbelievable price! For a 40 bhp 400 cc Triumph?!!!! No way! Guaranteed price creep inside two years. Will give it in writing on a stamp paper sir. I loved the bike. She's already in my eyes a Scrambler, so I don't understand the different threads I see here of a new Scrambler version thats being planned and yet to come. To my old school eyes, this is the look we turned out Bullets into for dirtrodding!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 19th October 2023 at 16:45.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 19:00   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
  1. I had this issue in the very beginning. There would be some moisture collecting towards the right side of the instrument panel after it rained or when it was very humid. I asked the service center and they said give it some time else come in at first service to get it checked. I did just let it go. Around 300km of usage I noticed that it didnt happen anymore. Whatever seal wasnt working fine, had probably set in by itself. I have done about 1300km now and havent seen the moisture return in the last 1000 kms. I think you can wait. If it is getting too bad, you can of course ask the service center to check.
  2. Like the other user said, this has sintered pads and they are much more effective at braking but can be noisy until they reach a particular temp. That being said, you shouldnt be hearing scraping continuosly. Check if something is lodged in there.
Old 19th October 2023, 20:22   #1169
BHPian

Long Post Warning:

October 4th - I had been talking out to Tarun from Keerthi for an update on my bike's delivery, as he had handled my booking. On Wednesday, he mentioned that he'd prioritize the delivery for me since it's already been 3.5 weeks.

October 7 - After not being able to talk to Tarun for 2 days and due to lack of updates, I submitted a complaint on Saturday through the triumph app and through the link shared in the below post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Guys I really suggest raising a complaint through this form. https://callcentermanagement.excello...plaintTRM.aspx
Thanks @lazyrev for sharing it.

I received a call back the same day and got to know that Tarun also quit due to personal reasons. The lady (Kavitha) assured me of an update on the same day, but I did not get a call back, which wasn't surprising any more.
My insurance was done within 30 minutes of the call. They did not reach out to verify any details being entered. They had the bike in their “yard” and started with the processing only after the complaint was submitted. According to them, due to the huge number of bookings, they weren't able to do it sooner and admitted that it was a miss from their end.
This is sad.
They managed to mess up my email address in the insurance as well.

October 8 - Received the Vaahan OTP and RTO call happened on the same afternoon.
Tried calling them for next steps but no one answered.

October 11 - Tried calling Kavitha again on 10th a couple of times but she did not answer. I finally managed to talk to her on 11th and she said she had requested the RTO guys to handle my bike's registration on priority so that she could try and have the bike delivered by end of the week.

October 13 - Received the confirmation SMS from RTO with the registration number.

October 14 - Tried calling Kavitha again a few times to understand the next steps but again, could not get through. I was now getting restless as it had been more than a month now after making the full payment.
I finally walked into the showroom in the evening to see a few other angry customers waiting for their bikes to be delivered. This is when I interacted with Rahul, who is the current delivery manager and also got to know that Kavitha was on leave that day. He stated that he was waiting for the number plates and assured me delivery on Monday (October 16th).

October 16 - Received a message from Rahul that they are expecting a delay and the plates would reach them the next day.

October 17 – Rahul’s phone was off and got to know from Kavitha that now Rahul was on leave. Got a confirmation that the plates had reached them but the bike hadn't. The bike was still at their infamous “yard” and it was on it's way to the showroom. Delivery was promised for October 18th

October 18 - Called Kavitha again and she was expecting the bike to reach the showroom from the yard at 5 p.m. After multiple follow ups, received a confirmation from Kavitha at 6 p.m. that the bike had reached them and was ready for delivery.
I reached there at 6.45 to see that the bike was not cleaned properly. The chain had rust marks even before delivery. The gentleman cleaning the bike was not at all happy with me and wife pointing out at that the bike was dirty everywhere. He did clean the bike as a huge favour to us.

After visual inspection of the bike, we went upstairs to check the documentation. The documents had the following errors:
1. My name was mentioned incorrectly in RTO tax receipt.
2. My Father's name was also incorrectly mentioned.
3. The building name in my address was incorrect.
4. My email address in insurance document was also wrong.

Rahul said he will raise a correction request asap, which should then reflect on the Vaahan portal. But for correction on RC card, I will have to wait for the card to first reach me and then I have to initiate the correction request through Rahul.

A sales rep then walked us through the features of the bike quickly, we clicked a few photos and the rep then moved the bike outside to spray the chain to rid it of the formed rust.

The bike was officially handed over to us.

Kavitha, Rahul and even Kartik (who's new there) helped us with the delivery on D-day. Rahul and Kartik were prompt to address any queries we had and assured for a quick document correction process.
I had also tried to call Renju a few times during these weeks, and he never answered.
This has already been mentioned earlie but these guys are overburdened with the huge demand that the bike has seen which is putting a lot of pressure on them, as a result the customers are facing delays. I feel bad for the chaps working at Keerthi since the customers vent out frustration on them. Keerthi should ideally recruit a few more competent people to help with this surge.

TL;DR
After completing the payment on 11th September, finally got the bike delivered on October 18th. The only good thing about the delivery was that we got the bike. There were a lot of delays and there are errors in the documents which I will have to keep following up on, for corrections.

Initial Observations:
1. The bike is very nimble and fun to ride. I rode it very cautiously for the first few kilometres to make sure that 6k rpm mark was not crossed, and to get properly acquainted with the bike.
2. The horn that initially felt meek on the test ride bike, felt sufficient now.
3. The seat will need some getting used to as i felt a bit of discomfort after an hour and half or so.
4. The headlight seems a bit weak. I need to check more on this.

Hiccups so far:
1. The bike has shut off abruptly twice, once while starting from a signal and once while slowing down for a speed bump.
2. At one point it failed to start and i had to try 3-4 times. This was a bit embarrassing since my colleagues were checking out the new bike.

Both the times, the symptoms were similar to what happens when there's bad fuel in the system.

I'll keep an eye out on this.

Questions:

The RC card will have spelling mistakes for my name and address. Keerthi said they will help with the corrections and will submit a request online, but can someone please tell me what is the ideal timeline for this correction? Can it be done now itself so that the first RC itself has the correct details?

Last edited by pratik_terni : 19th October 2023 at 20:23.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 00:08   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Care to clarify this? There's context here that I think I have but don't want to assume
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks