Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 15:07   #1126
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Took at test ride this Sunday of the Speed 400 at the new Triumph showroom at Electronic City in Bangalore. First thing was they clearly said they had test rides only for the Speed 400 and they only sell the other bigger bikes, no test rides for the bigger bikes.

There was just 1 test ride bike, it had done about 3000 kms. Was very gruff, had vibes starting at 3.5 to 4k rpm itself and continued to have them even in the 3rd gear which is where we would be in City traffic, very underwhelming experience. I had my wife as pillion and she complained about the seat vibes which I could feel as well. It had almost a full tank of petrol and they let us ride it for a little longer than at Keerthi Triumph. I think the CBR250R has spoilt us on refinement and we just could not find it on the Speed 400. Another thing I noticed was the throttle was very jerky on closing, the response was snatchy and surely not what I was looking for in the City. I had taken a solo test ride earlier at Keerthi on a bike that had done 1000 kms and there too the throttle was snatchy and vibes were present but not as much.

Overall between my solo test ride and then this one with my wife, I could clearly rule out the Speed 400 for which I was actually excited. The search continues.
Brio2014 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 08:01   #1127
BHPian

Went to Speed Triumph Kolkata to check the Speed 400 yesterday.

Although the showroom is located in a convenient area, the parking space in front is very limited. Also, the showroom is very congested with bikes of all flavours are stacked side by side without giving any due importance to their presence. Two Speed Triple RS were kept just beside a Thruxton with no gap between them to check them separately. Also few Speed Twin and Bonneville stacked here and there and in between. They have all three colours of Speed 400 in stock it seemed.

The showroom was crowded with all kinds of guys, mainly checking the S400, throttling hard for exhaust sound, honking and what not. The SAs were occupied with them and there was no one available at first. I had to approach one by myself to have a word and asked about tentative waiting period for black colour. He said they can deliver in three days if payment is done now, the Rs. 10,000/- discount included. He also provided me with the price breakup over WhatsApp.

Then I checked the bike. I didn't ask for test ride as I did not have much time to spare. I won't go into the details as those are mentioned umpteen times. To me the bike felt small but cute. It won't grab much attention in the traffic or parking but if checked closely, the built quality would reveal its true nature. The seating posture felt natural to me, only the handle bar could have been a little less wider but someone will get used to it easily. The clutch felt light, not super light but light. My only grudge being the position of the footrests. The Rider's footrests are touching my tibia while trying to reverse the bike being seated on it. And the position of the pillion footrest is too close to Rider's, my colleague's feet touched mine when he sat as a pillion.

Overall I came back not so satisfied with the experience at the showroom and bike. However, I'll go for a test ride before I take any decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20231011wa0000.jpg  

Old 11th October 2023, 17:26   #1128
BHPian

I just had the first service of my bike. It consists mainly of oil and oil filter change, lubrication, software update, and the like.

I had mentioned some notchiness in the fifth and sixth gears to the SA, which is gone now. Pretty smooth.

I have previously mentioned fuelling issues here, which led to the bike stalling with the clutch depressed when going over speed bumps as well as restarting issues with a hot engine. I have to test it out over the next few days to see if it's been fixed.

Total cost Rs. 2,066. I also opted for Road Side Assistance, which costs Rs. 500 per year.
davelok is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 00:51   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post

Total cost Rs. 2,066. I also opted for Road Side Assistance, which costs Rs. 500 per year.
RSA is free for the first year. Why did you pay for it?
Old 12th October 2023, 06:53   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Is it so? Riya Triumph Ahmedabad didn't offer anything like that to us.

Can you please provide a link to this?
Old 12th October 2023, 07:39   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
When I checked during delivery, what they said was they don't offer RSA for this model. But you do get the RSA included with your insurance policy.
Old 12th October 2023, 08:15   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Will be going in for 1st service later today.

The news from Pune is that all Speed 400 service and repair work has been moved to the new SVC at East Street, Pune Camp.

I had booked the slot for Pashan Road service center but received a call from Triumph service last night informing me of the above.

Thanks @Davelok for sharing your service experience.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 08:52   #1133
BHPian

Quote:

Did you get any documents when you paid for the RSA? Could you share it here?
Old 12th October 2023, 09:00   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Did you get any documents when you paid for the RSA? Could you share it here?
Hi, I was given the RSA offer on a WhatsApp group set up by Riya Triumph. That document was a bad edit job by Bajaj from the original KTM RSA document. I found that it still mentioned KTM service centers, and the distance covered in the document was 50km instead of the 100km offered for the Triumphs.

We had brought this up immediately, but it seems Bajaj hasn't actually gotten around to correcting the document. The service center has confirmed to me that the distance covered is 100km radius from any existing and upcoming Triumph service center in the state. I don't know if this applies to vehicles that are outside the state though.

So as of now, I don't have the correct document, but I hope that it will be delivered soon.
Old 12th October 2023, 10:19   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
I dont have a link for it. They told me at the time of delivery. My understanding was that everything mentioned in the Triumph TotalCare package that is printed in the booklet has been offered. I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Will be going in for 1st service later today.
The news from Pune is that all Speed 400 service and repair work has been moved to the new SVC at East Street, Pune Camp.
I had booked the slot for Pashan Road service center but received a call from Triumph service last night informing me of the above.
Thanks @Davelok for sharing your service experience.
This is unfortunate. Camp is tough to get to, from where I live. I hope the center is well established with decent staff.
Do share your experience once yours is serviced. I will get mine done within a week too.
Old 12th October 2023, 10:54   #1136
BHPian

@lazyrev As chance would have it, I was carrying the Totalcare booklet with me today. The RSA is optional. Please see the image below.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20231012_105120.jpg  

davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 12:36   #1137
BHPian

So here’s my Speed 400 booking experience at Whitefield Triumph at Bengaluru. Although the showroom is 3 times farther than Keerthi Triumph to my place, after reading the horrible experience by many on this thread about Keerthi, I decided to go the extra mile(s).

TL;DR
We booked two S400s, made full payment for both and would get the bikes in 4 weeks.

A bit longer summary:
My cousin (who had already booked S400 online) and I visited the showroom on Tuesday morning. My intention was to take a longer test drive (I had taken a short test drive at Keerthi a few weeks ago but couldn’t go past 2nd gear due to the traffic so couldn’t judge the bike whatsoever) and if I really liked the bike, I’d book it.
The showroom is a small one and almost all the staff were in a meeting. Receptionist seemed rude but I couldn’t care less. Anyway, after some back and forth the store manager agreed for a longer test drive. I was the first one to ride the test bike for the day and after ~8KM of a “proper” test ride with some empty stretches as well as in traffic, I could definitely feel some heat in my shin. That’s the only concern I had in an otherwise good test ride. So decided to go ahead with the booking and paid the full amount (that's the only way to get 10k discount as per the SA) and I was told upfront that it would take up-to 4 weeks for them to deliver the bike. Having known the plight of others who have booked/bought the bike, I just nodded.

My cousin, who had already decided to get this bike had a rather frustrating experience. He is from Mysore and wanted to get the bike registered there. Since there is no Triumph showroom in Mysore (yet), he had to get it from here. There was a lot of discussions or rather speculations about registration including TR and finally after around 2 to 3 hours, we were told that Whitefield Triumph would get the registration done but apply for Mysore reg. number and then provide the documents to us which we would have to get signed from Mysore RTO and post that number plates would be provided by Whitefield Triumph. Yeah, that’s a lot of unknowns there and keeping our fingers crossed for it.

Anyway I'd say the experience is slightly better than at Keerthi but it's not a day and night difference in comparison. The accounts team at Whitefield needs to get better a lot. That's it for now and hopefully we will have a headache free delivery experience.
vishaljawahar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 17:14   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
I paid 500/- for the first year RSA. I dont think it is free. Did you take insurance from outside that had RSA bundled?
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:54   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
Took at test ride this Sunday of the Speed 400 at the new Triumph showroom at Electronic City in Bangalore. First thing was they clearly said they had test rides only for the Speed 400 and they only sell the other bigger bikes, no test rides for the bigger bikes.

Sorry for deviating from the discussion on the Speed 400 but do you know if they service the bigger bikes or is that too limited to the 400s? I have been trying to get in touch with Khivraj Triumph but no luck so far. No one answers the phone and the couple of times I visited the Whitefield showroom it was closed (that too around 11-12 PM) while customers were waiting outside

I want a Speed Twin 1200 and would prefer if I didn't have to deal with Keerthi but it doesn't look like Khivraj is much better.
a_chelat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 11:00   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
I want a Speed Twin 1200 and would prefer if I didn't have to deal with Keerthi but it doesn't look like Khivraj is much better.
Try raising your concern on their website, you will get a callback. And what I heard from Whitefield Khivraj is that they service big bikes too.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks