Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2023, 13:13   #1036
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_cheek13 View Post
The luggage rack is just perfect. And makes a very good grab rail for pillion. Is it quite sturdy to hold good weight? Could you please post the picture of the other accessories. Also are they of good quality?

Coming to the luggage part, why didn't you try any 45-50l top box from Givi? Especially the monolock series have quite good ones and affordable too compare to the Triumph topbox.
Thanks, there is nothing much to say about the tank pad (which is tiny) or the knee pads, as they look exactly like the photos. [Edit: the knee pads didn't help me grab the tank while riding in the seated position, because unless one is very tall, the knees and thighs are actually at a lower level. They might be useful when standing up.)

The mudguard extension installation didn't go as planned, because Triumph forgot to include the required double sided tapes. It's a three part set - front extension for the front mudguard, longer rear splash guard, and a small tail extension for the rear mudguard. The first and last of these are to be fixed with sticky tapes. So I've brought both of these home, to be installed when I give the bike for its first service. Their quality is exactly the same as the original stuff.

The grab rails on the luggage rack are quite sturdy. However the rack itself may not be rated for more than a few kilos. If you want to fix a top box, it would have to rest primarily on the seat. The rack is for lighter luggage. I brought home the replaced grab rail and splash guard as well as the yet to be installed parts in a cardboard box tied to the rack.

I intend to ride the bike with my better half mostly on the pillion, so I need the rear seat space. Also I'm not planning long rides, so no top box or big saddle bags for me.

The luggage rack did cause us a problem today. We had to stop because I was in the wrong gear on a very awkward turn (a small speed bump at the beginning of an incline), and the bike started to tilt to the left when I attempted to change the gear. My wife tried to help by trying to put her left foot down, but it was too far for her. So she tried to get off, but her right foot fouled in the luggage rack. So down went the bike in slow motion, and I could only get back up after leaning on the engine. Luckily it wasn't too hot, so my palm didn't get singed.

When we got the bike back up, I saw that some coolant fluid had leaked out. However upon examination this turned out to be a leakage from the filler cap, and no rupture or damage. There is only a small scratch on the left side bar end mirror casing, and a bigger one on my pride.

Lesson learnt, the left side stand will always come down before my wife tries to climb on to the bike or dismount it. She has to use the pillion foot pegs for this after getting the luggage rack installed.

Last edited by davelok : 1st October 2023 at 13:23. Reason: Addendum
davelok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 13:28   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
. It's a three part set - front extension for the front mudguard, longer rear splash guard, and a small tail extension for the rear mudguard.
The grab rails on the luggage rack are quite sturdy.
Does the rear extension help in preventing splashes on the rear shocks? Can you please post pictures of your accessories when possible.

Quote:
However the rack itself may not be rated for more than a few kilos. If you want to fix a top box, it would have to rest primarily on the seat. .
Do you think it can handle around 5-8 kgs. I'm really planning on a top box and would love to handle atleast 5 kgs.

Quote:
The luggage rack did cause us a problem today. We had to stop because I was in the wrong gear on a very awkward turn (a small speed bump at the beginning of an incline), and the bike started to tilt to the left when I attempted to change the gear. My wife tried to help by trying to put her left foot down, but it was too far for her. So she tried to get off, but her right foot fouled in the luggage rack. So down went the bike in slow motion, and I could only get back up after leaning on the engine. Luckily it wasn't too hot, so my palm didn't get singed.
Oops! Hope you and you wife are ok. Yes having a luggage rack does need some special consideration when getting on and off. I had to get used to it when getting on my friends 390 with a metal top box. But once used to getting on and off using the foot pegs, the topbox is a boon for carrying laptops and helmets even for office runs.

Last edited by sk_cheek13 : 1st October 2023 at 13:29. Reason: Spell check
sk_cheek13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 16:58   #1038
BHPian

@sk_cheek13 Triumph's top box listing (fits fully on the luggage rack) talks about a 3kg payload. Given that the luggage rack gets mounted on the bike with the same screws as the rear grab handle, I would not expect it to be rated for anything significantly above 5kg, considering the demands of long highway rides.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 18:40   #1039
BHPian

Got my bike PPF'd today. Managed to get it done at a very decent price (~5k) for the tank and instrument panel. The guy who did mine was 5/5 in price, quality of work and convenience.

I must note that the detailers are quoting crazy prices anywhere from 6k to 16k, if you an believe it. I called around 10 places in Pune and all for the same popular Garware premium (5 year warranty) PPF. It is a crazy market out there because people are spending upwards on 80-90k on cars and the detailers dont really want to work on bikes that much because margins are lower. Many were probably assuming Triumph means super expensive and since this bike doesnt even have that much to PPF they were trying to overcharge. My guy also told me that an R15 costs around 20k if he does it . Can't even imagine what the other studios charge.

I was mainly concerned about the kids in my apartment parking getting too excited and scratching the tank. Many people recommended I get ceramic coating done because PPF yellows over time, but it didnt make sense to me. Detailers were asking for almost 8k for that, and that only shines the surface, doesnt really protect it. I will DIY with the turtle wax spray (~1k) for the parts that I didnt get PPF'd instead.

Before: Had some minor scratches on the top and one kind of deeper scratch because of my jacket's zip.

Name:  20231001 18_20_10VID_20231001_142935081.mp4  MPCBE x64 1.6.7.png
Views: 1235
Size:  843.5 KB

After: The scratches have disappeared. The PPF is applied in 3 pieces so there are two lines visible. These are supposed to be less visible as the water underneath dries out. It isnt that noticeable from an angle so I am ok with it.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20231001_161412464.jpgTriumph Speed 400 Review-20231001-18_28_521.mp4-mpcbe-x64-1.6.7.png

Last edited by lazyrev : 1st October 2023 at 18:46. Reason: missed a couple of details.
lazyrev is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 20:22   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepressedZanpak View Post
I had paid the full amount on 8th September. Till now I haven't received any updates.
Hi! What is the on road price in Kolkata? Can you please share the break up of the price? Also is there any update? Hope you have some positive news.
Old 1st October 2023, 22:25   #1041
BHPian

Any input on when the Scrambler 400X is being launched? When are the deliveries likely to commence? The dealer, at least in Kolkata is clueless. What's the scene in other parts of the country?
Old 1st October 2023, 22:32   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Any input on when the Scrambler 400X is being launched? When are the deliveries likely to commence? The dealer, at least in Kolkata is clueless. What's the scene in other parts of the country?
October 15th, according to the Keerthi triumph in Bangalore.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:25   #1043

Any idea which bike cover would fit the Speed 400?
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:28   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyAstronaut View Post
I made the full payment on 2nd September, got insurance SMS on 14th, RTO OTP on 21st.

Haven’t received any update after that.
When’s the delivery ? Got any updates ?
Old 2nd October 2023, 13:27   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakli_kodbale View Post
When’s the delivery ? Got any updates ?
Yes I visited the Keerthi dealership on Sunday, had a chat with Tarun and Renju. I had received my reg number on Saturday and they said that my HSRP should be arriving from the RTO by Wednesday. So if I want the bike without HSRP, I can take it on Tuesday-Wednesday, else I can take it on Thursday this week with the HSRP.

They seemed to be working hard, but I still don't get how one of my friends on this thread who paid 4 days before me, got the bike on 11th Sept (as promised by them), while I had to wait for 20 more days for the exact same color (red). They did mess up somewhere in between and delayed my RTO by more than 10 days. My bike has been in their warehouse since Sept 10th
funkyAstronaut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:35   #1046
BHPian

Guys, should I use high performance petrol in my speed 400? Would it make a difference?
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:09   #1047
BHPian

Hi,

For people who have taken delivery from Keerthi Trimuph Bangalore, any update on when/how we will get the RC card? Will it be mailed to home from the RTO itself or do we need to collect it from the showroom?

Thanks
Aravind
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:40   #1048
BHPian

That reminds me. Has anyone in Pune got their RC smart cards?

There was some issue with the RTO running out of the cards or the tender having to be redone. I even remember a newspaper article that people havent gotten their RC in many months.
Old 2nd October 2023, 18:28   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMridul View Post
Hi! What is the on road price in Kolkata? Can you please share the break up of the price? Also is there any update? Hope you have some positive news.
The on road price is 282K. Me being one of the first 10000 customers got the discount. I had to pay 270513. Unfortunately I dont have the price breakup. Will go to the showroom tomorrow morning for further information.
Overall the service has been choppy. They are very quick to ask you to pay the full amount, but as soon as you do so, they go off the grid. It has been almost a month since I paid, but no communication from them.
DepressedZanpak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:55   #1050
BHPian

Triumph just dropped this video on the scrambler.

Also, I'm still getting invites to take up the 10K discount on speed 400. I'm guessing the initial bookings haven't transpired to actual purchases.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks