Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2023, 19:13   #661
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.yadav001 View Post
Can anyone confirm if Speed 400 is comfortable for pillion rider. I wanted to upgrade to the upcoming Himalayan from my current Thunderbird 500. But Speed 400 has grabbed my attention …
If you were considering the Himalayan perhaps you want to consider the Scrambler 400X for a closer comparable (still not the same but closer comparable option than Speed). That might also be better suited for pillion compared to the Speed.

Also, are you looking to use this with pillion for city riding or highway touring?

Both the Himalayan 450 and Scrambler 400X should be out soon - I’d suggest see all three first hand, with your pillion, and then decide. I’m pretty sure both the other options will be better suited than the Speed for two up riding.

The Speed is a pretty compact bike at the end of the day and as some had identified earlier in the thread - you need to consider some specific aspects like the rider and pillion foot pegs being set up too close - do check this aspect in particular.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 19:27   #662
BHPian

Delhi Speed Owners, have you received invite for tomorrow morning ride to Gurgaon organized by One Triumph.

Will be joining tomorrow’s ride, would love to meet fellow Tbhpians who all join. I will be on red bike (most of them would be) wearing black coloured Shark lid.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd September 2023 at 04:52. Reason: Clean up edits.
Old 2nd September 2023, 20:35   #663

Speed 400 test ride update:

Went to Keerthi (Bangalore) for the Speed 400 test ride today

I was hoping to jump the queue for the test ride being an under 10k booking potential customer but that wasn't the case, so stood in line like everybody else for the test ride. Waited for a good half an hour before getting my hands on one of them.

Saturday afternoon and residency road was jammed totally.

The engine fan was running even before I got on to the bike. It was a short circular ride and we barely had any chance of moving beyond 2nd gear, and the handling of the first bike I got was very poor for some reason.

Went to Honda, BMW, Harley and Benelli post that, only Honda had test ride bikes, the others didn't.

Came back to Keerthi post that and this time the crowd was less, so took the bike for a spin again. This time I had the chance to go upto 5th gear atleast and to about 60kmph or so. The handling was fine this time.

My observations - there's no wow feel really. The fan was continuously on and it was getting uncomfortable in the afternoon. I wonder if the engine is really gonna last, it's worrisome for a liquid cooled bike, unless they're all like this.

The throttle response is definitely good and it'll fly immediately as soon as you twist your arm though it seemed more linear and better in the second bike.

The mirror visibility is actually good, so good job there.

The exhaust is just ok, nothing to talk about. Feels like a usual 200cc bike, road presence is also average.

The best part about the bike in my opinion is the tractability and the flickability. Very easy and nimble for beginners also to ride. Very light.

Clutch is also very light, not sure why some people felt it was a little heavy, felt as light as the Highness, gear shift was smooth, braking was excellent (especially the front brakes), so yeah quite a few positives.

It's definitely a good bike for beginners.

But I have my eyes set on the 350 RS, the thump and the ride feel were excellent and on another level compared to the Speed 400, let's see.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd September 2023 at 04:53. Reason: Caps and other clean up edits.
BikingNewbie23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:01   #664
BHPian

Has anyone here not taken insurance from the dealer. Their dealer's insurance provider here in Pune is Oriental insurance and they quote 25k for 1+5 zero dep with a host of other addons. We cant pick and choose what we do and dont want. The SA said I will have the smoothest experience if I take their insurance.

I went through acko's page and their pricing is very competitive. Not sure how good acko is for bikes but I read some glowing reviews from car folks here on TBHP. Acko's 1+5 zero dep cover comes to just about 19.5-20k, which is a sizeable difference.

What are your thoughts? Any major cons of going with my own insurance?

Name:  acko.png
Views: 881
Size:  7.4 KB
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:11   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Has anyone here not taken insurance from the dealer. Their dealer's insurance provider here in Pune is Oriental insurance and they quote 25k for 1+5 zero dep with a host of other addons. We cant pick and choose what we do and dont want. The SA said I will have the smoothest experience if I take their insurance.

I went through acko's page and their pricing is very competitive. Not sure how good acko is for bikes but I read some glowing reviews from car folks here on TBHP. Acko's 1+5 zero dep cover comes to just about 19.5-20k, which is a sizeable difference.

Attachment 2498612
In Delhi also dealer suggested for Oriental with return to invoice, RSA, 0 depreciation with 5% depreciation on exshowroom for IDV.

Checked with ICICI Lombard they quoted 27k for same benefits, so went ahead with Oriental.
Striker_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 23:24   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post

Attachment 2498612
I bought with Acko for 22k (1st year zero dep + personal accident cover & 2.33L IDV). It was a very seamless process. The dealer asked for half payment to allot the chassis number. After a day thet provide me the chassis number I applied for insurance and forwarded them them the contract pdf the next day they called for Vahan registration OTP and I got the RC number by sms the same day.
JoshVRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:23   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVRider View Post
I bought with Acko for 22k (1st year zero dep + personal accident cover & 2.33L IDV). It was a very seamless process. The dealer asked for half payment to allot the chassis number. After a day thet provide me the chassis number I applied for insurance and forwarded them them the contract pdf the next day they called for Vahan registration OTP and I got the RC number by sms the same day.
This is great to hear!! I think I am going to go with acko too. Seems to be a good deal and reviews are overall great. I am glad to hear the process was smooth for you.
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 07:04   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if Speed 400 is comfortable for pillion rider. I wanted to upgrade to the upcoming Himalayan from my current Thunderbird 500. But Speed 400 has grabbed my attention, built quality, engine everything is looking good. Except the seat length which I feel looks short for riding with pillion.
So far, only my daughter has ridden with me on the bike, but her feedback was that it's quite comfortable. I'm yet to do any ride with someone larger / heavier but I don't think space will be an issue. Of course, this bike's seat is not commuter bike / RE Classic grade comfortable, but it should be fine for 1-2 hour rides.
davelok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 07:29   #669
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

No idea about Thunderbird but the only KTM 390 that could accommodate us in any configuration was the ADV.

The single piece seat helps with better space management. The clincher in my case why I went for this immediately and did not wait for the all new Duke was this seat. One of the perks of being a *standard* motorcycle over a street naked.

This is us on the Speed 400.
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230825_1048409282.jpg

My 3 yr old daughter could easily rest her feet on the crash guard while the bike was on the move.

It was a tight fit for us but still manageable. Your mileage could vary so TR and decide.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 08:12   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Today I went for my second TD at Khivraj Whitefield. While talking to the sales guy, he said they have a list of customers who were moved to their showroom from Keerthi , because of proximity to the showroom. Is anyone in here on that list? I would like to know how to get it done.
My booking was transferred from Keerthi for obvious reasons. I just called Khivraj and asked them if I can buy from them instead of Keerthi. They agreed of a call back and got a call from triumph in two days.
febin8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 10:32   #671
BHPian

Was your booking in the introductory pricing with the 10k discount? And when transferring to Keerthi, did you get the same discount or did you have to rebook letting go of the discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by febin8055 View Post
My booking was transferred from Keerthi for obvious reasons. I just called Khivraj and asked them if I can buy from them instead of Keerthi. They agreed of a call back and got a call from triumph in two days.
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:43   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if Speed 400 is comfortable for pillion rider. I wanted to upgrade to the upcoming Himalayan from my current Thunderbird 500. But Speed 400 has grabbed my attention, built quality, engine everything is looking good. Except the seat length which I feel looks short for riding with pillion.
I took a TR solo first and then went for a spin with my wife. She was quite comfortable (coming from an apache 160 2012 model, for reference). The seat is smaller but she said the cushioning is top notch and the suspension is so good that it takes away the pain from bumps and potholes, which she would usually feel on the Apache.
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:18   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Was your booking in the introductory pricing with the 10k discount? And when transferring to Keerthi, did you get the same discount or did you have to rebook letting go of the discount?
Yes, I booked with the introductory pricing. I will get the delivery at launch price if I pay before September 15 as per the msg from triumph. May be you can reach out to triumph for further details

Email: customer.care@triumphmotorcycles.in
WhatsApp: +91 70288 89751 (I am getting the communications from this number)
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_8800.jpeg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_8799.jpeg  

febin8055 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:20   #674
BHPian

I took the bike to the Thol Bird Sanctuary outside Ahmedabad this morning. It's about 24km from home and took me about 45 minutes to reach it, primarily because of the numerous speed bumps on the Thol - Shilaj road, which restrict speed effectively.

I didn't carry a camera with me, because this is the lean season for birding there, and I would have paid Rs. 250 unnecessarily for camera fees. I just took a pair of binoculars, some water with electrolytes, and biscuits. It was a peaceful visit - there was no one around, which is why we go out in the first place, isn't it?

The travel to Thol was uneventful. I paced the motorcycle out peacefully. The road inside Thol is unpaved and broken, which makes one feel the need for a proper adventure bike, even though the front suspension on the Speed 400 is plush. The Speed bumps and the bumpy road told me that I need to learn standing up while riding the bike.

After enjoying solitude for a while, I decided to go for a ride to a place called Kanzari nearby. This place used to have some flocks of Blackbucks in the open fields, but a huge number of luxury farmhouse developments have come up on that very land and all around, driving the deer away (and perhaps to their dying out eventually).

As I rode on, I started to enjoy the ride more and more, feeling the bike to be more of an extension of myself rather than the strange steed that I felt I was riding when I took it to work yesterday for the first time.

I guess this happens when one starts to get a feel of the machine,its handling dynamics, engine characteristics, etc. At times, I found myself pushing backwards on the seat rather than the forward seating position I prefer in the city. All those fantasies from thirty odd years ago of riding a Hero Honda CD100 like a sporty machine have started to come to life.

The ride through lush green farms and water bodies was thoroughly enjoyable as I went beyond Kanzari to explore side roads into rural areas. Speed bumps were everywhere and I started to lift my bum off the seat to avoid the, well, bumps when coming off them. I feel a little bit that rider foot pegs need to be longer to be able to stand up safely and comfortably.

While there was nothing really wrong with the bike, I did find it stalling twice in second gear, once with the clutch fully in and once when the engine wasn't even knocking. Plus at lower rpm in third or fourth year, I did feel the engine sputter a bit, which makes me suspect that there might be a fuelling issue - not that it is always present. The bike pulls very cleanly and smoothly in first gear from standstill with very little throttle input. I will watch this carefully and if it's real, I will get it addressed during the first service.

I was generally riding around at 50-60kmph with frequent gear changes. Took the bike to near 100kmph only once or twice. Every time I cross 60kmph, wind starts to roar like a jet engine inside my helmet - possibly because I had removed the cheek pads a long time ago, and now need to find and fix them again.

Yesterday during my return commute from work, I checked the actual speed of the bike with what its speedometer reports. I used an app called GPS Speedometer on my phone (mounted on the handlebar). It seems that the speedo is off by about 10% at 60kmph, so when the needle is indicating 70, the bike's actually doing 65. Good from a safety perspective, but my route has speed control of 70kmph, so I need to be very sure of the margin of error. Anyways I am not a wild rider, but this bike is growing on me and asking me to twist the throttle.

By the way, Triumph India is monitoring this thread and considers what you post here as feedback, asking their service advisors to address it. Good going.

After nearly an hour of riding around, I decided to return home. It was getting closer to lunchtime and I was feeling hot from the sun. Engine heat was quite bearable though.

As time wore on, I found myself trying to sit straighter up taking the stress off my back and palms. The heel of the palms and the right thumb joint started to get sore, leading me to massage them at traffic stops. Perhaps they need some conditioning as I have been a car-only traveller for a long time now.

Despite this slight discomfort, it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride, which would not have been possible in my car. As the weather cools down, migrant birds start arriving, and Triumph gives us some accessories to help carry gear around, I see myself going on more and more of them on the bike.

I'm quite happy that I bought it.
davelok is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:32   #675
BHPian

Hey guys, is it safe to pay full payment before the PDI ? Or maybe half right now, and the remaining on delivery day. Is that possible ?

Most Viewed