Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 09:29   #631

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Took it on a trip yesterday from Mumbai to Nashik and back. Total 355kms trip. Now total ODO is 575kms (in just 4 days!!).

The ride was amazing. Went through the ghats of Vikramgad and Jawhar and this bike goes through those u bend turns effortlessly and it wants to curve. Even though i went with pillion it was bending the turns without giving you the feeling that it can't take more.

Mileage: I did a tank to tank and it gave me a mileage of 32kmpl. This is highway at 80kmph and ghats at 40kmph and City at 60kmph (60 & 80 were at 6th gear 40 at ghats were at 5th/4th gear because there was too much incline)
The fuel indicator went to no bars on my way back. So I quickly search for pump and filled it to the top. Only 10.84Ltrs went. This is because of the fuel pump. The sales person also told me that since this has a fuel pump make sure the fuel does go till empty as it will damage the pump (air getting caught). I think the company wants us to fill while it still has 2 ltrs in.

The distance to empty doesn't work well. I think it shows kms for current mileage instead of average.

I had done PPF on 29th night and picked it up yesterday evening. Took Defender pro Tarantula Gloss 180micron with 5 year warranty at Rs.12k along with ceramic and plastic protection on other parts. Did it from Steam engine. They have shops in Virar, Naigaon & Miraroad incase someone wants to try it from them. Shaman Triumph told me 11k for just PPF from Garware with 3 year warranty.

Will soon get this bike to 1,000kms (only about 400kms is remaining out of which 40mks is from my home to service center ) will get the service done and then see it's performance and mileage.

So far my take is that you can take this bike for long trips but only rider as the pillion will not be comfortable for over 2 hour trips. Maybe the quilted seat from Triumph will help. Let's see.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230830_234422416.night2.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230830_121150458.mp2.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230830_121159289.ts_exported_1067_1693540250069.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230831_011012292.ts_exported_2771_1693540302215.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230831_101244641.mp.jpg  

JoshVRider is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 09:59   #632
BHPian

This is amazing to see . Keep the real world reviews coming guys. It is very informative and is also helping me cope with the fact that I still have to wait 2-4 weeks for mine .

The fuel pump/fuel level issue seems to be prevalent. People are saying it doesnt even measure fuel level right and shows 2-3 bars when there is no fuel or when the tank is full. Has anyone who owns a s400 faced this? It is a bit concerning and I wonder how the service center is going to handle it.
Old 1st September 2023, 10:32   #633
Senior - BHPian

Update: Today filled tankful of 6.2 liters of E10 regular petrol. After tankful to tankful, the average FE returned is 172/6.2 = 27.7kmpl. This is complete city riding FE and might marginally go up once the engine settles down after 4-5K KMs
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 11:29   #634

Anyone have a good recommendation for a mobile holder? I need to get one but a really good quality one that will last me for quite some time. Thinking of doing some tours more often now with the Speed 400
Old 1st September 2023, 12:15   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker_wheels View Post
RTO registration receipt issued by Delhi rto mentioned makers name as Bajaj. I don't think this is an issue, RC data simply records manufacturer/makers name which is Bajaj in this case.
I don't know if KTM's RC also has Bajaj mentioned.
In the YouTube video some gentleman posted a few posts before, the guy said earlier KTMs had Bajaj as manufacturer but later it was KTM, I know a document doesn’t change the bike at all but I guess it takes away a bit from the ‘feeling’ of owning the brand Triumph.

Sad, I guess I’ll have to start saving for the Speed Twin/Trident 660 if I want a true blue Triumph bike. Haha.
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 12:38   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
In the YouTube video some gentleman posted a few posts before, the guy said earlier KTMs had Bajaj as manufacturer but later it was KTM, I know a document doesn’t change the bike at all but I guess it takes away a bit from the ‘feeling’ of owning the brand Triumph.

Sad, I guess I’ll have to start saving for the Speed Twin/Trident 660 if I want a true blue Triumph bike. Haha.
If you compare the Speed twin with Speed 400, the 400 looks quite bigger than 900/1200 twin. I saw both parked side by side and let me tell you, no one believe it is a 1200cc. I couldn't. It looks so small. But Kudos to Triumph for making a small compact engine. Turns out they are good at it.

Even I thought about Tiger Sport 660 as an upgrade but for now the Speed 400 will do. But the Tiger Sport is definitely in my future bike list with its triple cylinder 660cc and that sound is awesome.
JoshVRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 13:07   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVRider View Post
Anyone have a good recommendation for a mobile holder?
Choose among these options
1. Bobo mount
2. Peak Design
3. RAM mounts
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 14:12   #638
BHPian

Quote:
If you compare the Speed twin with Speed 400, the 400 looks quite bigger than 900/1200 twin. I saw both parked side by side and let me tell you, no one believe it is a 1200cc. I couldn't. It looks so small. But Kudos to Triumph for making a small compact engine. Turns out they are good at it.

Even I thought about Tiger Sport 660 as an upgrade but for now the Speed 400 will do. But the Tiger Sport is definitely in my future bike list with its triple cylinder 660cc and that sound is awesome.

I agree with you in terms of overall size of the both bikes. I’ve never been the show-off kind of person. I prefer my cars/bikes stock and don’t like show-ey attention catching bikes. That’s why I love Triumph as their bikes have a certain understated class to them. Owning a proper big bike is a dream I’ll surely fulfill one day and that day Kawasaki & Triumph will be on top of my list.

Size might be similar but sure once you press the start button and rev the bike a little it will show it’s 1200cc. Till my wallet is fat enough to drop 10 big ones on a two wheeler, Speed 400 will do quite nicely. Though I’m a bit disappointed to hear about the inaccurate fuel gauge. The list of ‘eccentricities’ keep on growing…
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 15:47   #639
BHPian

Today I went for my second TD at Khivraj Whitefield. While talking to the sales guy, he said they have a list of customers who were moved to their showroom from Keerthi , because of proximity to the showroom. Is anyone in here on that list? I would like to know how to get it done.
Old 1st September 2023, 16:20   #640

Quote:
Today I went for my second TD at Khivraj Whitefield. While talking to the sales guy, he said they have a list of customers who were moved to their showroom from Keerthi , because of proximity to the showroom. Is anyone in here on that list? I would like to know how to get it done.
There was a guy who asked Triumph to change his dealership on Twitter/X ��. Triumph replied back asking for booking id. I don't know if they did it.

Here is the link.
https://twitter.com/jayakrishnaJ11/s..._Avi7ZdIQ&s=19
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot_20230901161927.png  

JoshVRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 17:03   #641
BHPian

Two days after getting the delivery of my bike and nearly three weeka after the test ride, I got a feedback call from Triumph (Pune number) about the test ride. They wanted to know how the dealer was conducting the rides.

The lady interviewing me also asked if I had made my final payment, and seemed to be slightly surprised that I already had the bike with me. Perhaps my feedback about the test ride being too short might have sounded like a lost sale to her.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 18:07   #642
BHPian

I finally test rode the most talked about kid on the block. I have some observations to share, might be repeated but here they go:

The bike is a very desirable kinda motorcycle. It has a universal appeal to it, and it doesn't have any special defining character to it. Don't get me wrong, what I'm trying to say is it will appeal to everyone. There will not be a single person who would say that he doesn't like this bike after a testride. I was under the impression that all of the media houses and auto journos were going crazy because of the mind numbing introductory price( that's how I feel these journos are portraying it). One testride later I know why this bike has received so much praise.

I did try to find negatives to this bike but could'nt really spot any. I felt the brakes had a little more play than required and another area was thr switchgear modules. They were moving around a little bit when you accelerate to the max or press the buttons a little harder than usual.

One odd thing I noticed(might be specific to that one bike) is that the chain was rusted on a display bike in the showroom. Upon closer observation I spotted the chain to have the same "R" mark on the links as my 390 Duke. My mechanic told me the Duke uses a Rolon chain, so I'm assuming even this is a Rolon chain.
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901141252.jpg
Build quality is fab for the price however I would rate the TVS made BMW G310 twins (excluding the 310RR as I assume even that bike will squeak because of the panels) higher than this Bharatiya British machine. The paint quality is fab and easily the best I've seen in this segment. Switchgear feels sufficiently premium although not Triumph premium. There was a Trident in the showroom and the switchgear quality on that was something else. Bar end mirrors looked premium but I realised later that they were useless. The fuel cap design and feel is something else, it felt really good to touch and flip. The key of the motorcycle, well, typical Triumph and it felt premium too.

Coming to the test ride, this bike has a good low end and mid range. Top end felt flat to me. Nothing beats a KTM in this single cylinder category in top end performance but since this Triumph is not about that, I feel this little lack of top end can be ignored. The bike can reach triple digits pretty fast, but it doesn't feel as fun as a KTM at high revs. With that said, the low end and mid range is beautiful. Leave half the clutch and the bike jumps forward. Mid range feels punchy and that exhaust note is still in my mind. Easily the best sounding exhaust in this segment IMO. The bike is pretty flick-able, and I believe part of this is because of the beautiful Apollos that the bike comes with. Brakes are sure footed with good stopping power. But the poor bike that I test rode had squeaking brakes, pretty understandable as the bike was being thrashed around by every guy who went for a testride. Heck even I did some good amount of thrashing to get a good feel of the bike. I couldn't really judge the suspension as the roads I rode on were pretty good. It wasn't as thrashy as my Duke for sure, nor was it as soft as an Interceptor so think of it to be on the neutral side. Weight is nicely masked and you don't feel it at all, mostly because of the accessible seat height(not aware of the numbers). Mileage claim is 30kpl from the showroom and I feel one can easily achieve it if ridden sanely. Gearbox somehow felt very clunky and hard, very similar to that of a BMW G310R. The throttle response was crisp and not shattery like that on my Duke. The speedometer felt useless to my eyes. The speed font is too small and with the vibes at higher rpm and higher speeds, you can barely see what speed you're doing. The rpm gauge is equally useless. The rpm and speedometer gauges should've been swapped i.e, a digital speedometer and an analogue rpm gauge should've been provided instead. The bar end mirrors are useless. I hope there is some other better conventional mirror setup available as an accessory, maybe something like the mirrors on the Trident.

I hope I have covered everything that I noticed. Special props to Syed(I hope I'm not wrong with his name) at the newly opened Triumph Gachibowli showroom. My Duke got stuck right infront of their showroom due to some gravel and this guy immediately came out and helped me with my bike. I told him I was a casual visitor and not a prospective buyer with an active booking and he was completely fine with it to give me a test ride. Some showroom guys are hellbent on bookings, so yeah this definitely felt better.

One huge advice I would like to give to Bajaj as a Bajaj customer is don't dilute the brand for god sake. I mean, achieving volumes is fine but NOT at the cost of diluting your brand. Please educate your customers on how to ride, how to behave when you're on a motorcycle, basic motorcycling gear, riding etiquettes etc. I'm pretty sure Triumph owners will be pissed after this Speed 400 is exploited by the undesirable squids of the society(which will eventually happen, if Bajaj takes no steps in preventing it from happening). KTM could've been as premium as Triumph if Bajaj marketed it properly. Heck maybe we would've had a chance to experience KTM's tasty big bikes. So Bajaj please do look into such stuff and try educating your customers.

I agree no one come up with mouth watering launches better than Rajiv Bajaj(looking at you 2013 KTM 390 Duke) but then no one can dilute a brand better than you as well.

And yes, I am in love with the blue shade on the motorcycle. The shine and glitter on it is unreal, I can't take it off my mind.
Until next time,
Saikishor
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901142115.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901142124.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901142136.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901142737.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901144323.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20230901144337_02.jpg

Last edited by saikishor : 1st September 2023 at 18:08.
saikishor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 20:03   #643

Quote:
There was a guy who asked Triumph to change his dealership on Twitter/X ��. Triumph replied back asking for booking id. I don't know if they did it.

Here is the link.
https://twitter.com/jayakrishnaJ11/s..._Avi7ZdIQ&s=19
I don't think they will do it. Did not work for me in spite of repeated calls, tweets etc. The customer service even stopped picking up my calls.
BikingNewbie23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 20:04   #644

Today test driven the Speed 400 from Triumph Whitefield and felt that this bike is not for me. Being a RE Thunder bird owner the riding position on this bike is so different for me and I cant take it. Thinking of cancelling my booking and go for Honda H'Ness instead.
VividSiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 21:52   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividSiv View Post
Thinking of cancelling my booking and go for Honda H'Ness instead.
Why not Harley X440? It has similar seating position as Thunderbird.

Honda is expected to come up with a new 350cc motorcycle by the end of this year, as per their own statement. Maybe you can wait for that too.
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks