Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 19:16   #511
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Updates on Triumph Speed 400 first service (total bill of rs2056)
Reference -
vzvish91 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:08   #512
Senior - BHPian

Any new Triumph showroom opening in Pune?
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:25   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
There is one coming up on Hosur road, Bangalore as well.
It is in similar shape as the JP Nagar showroom, but already showing up on google map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feninrexo View Post
New Triumph outlet opening at Jayanagar 9th block right next to al-bek on the main road.
Wonderful news, but we cannot transfer our booking to these showrooms from Keerthi.

Has anybody tried and was successful? I am keen to try that because of the service standpoint. In the new showroom, people will be eager to help and close a lot of things for the end customers. Or am I missing anything here?
shailinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:37   #514

I did a test ride couple days back as well @ Triumph Ahmedabad/Riya Triumph.

I'd booked the bike on July 17 on an impulse, but was having second thoughts now, thought might as well take the test ride to see how it goes.

For context - I've ridden a CBF Stunner in my college days, and sold it later when I landed a job outside my hometown. Now I've settled back in my home town and use an Access 125 - favoured practicality over everything else and have been pretty happy with the overall experience. But now I feel like I've been missing out on the "Fun" experience you get from a bike, and I've liked RE bikes quite a bit, and almost was sure I'll get one in a year or two.

Then comes the Speed 400 launch. The bike looked pretty good on paper, and it was a Triumph, and early impressions from reviewers were pretty good. But I decided to wait for a bit to see what detailed reviews are going to be like. And they were equally good - so I decided to book, it was only Rs. 2k back then, so what the heck, might as well.

A few days after I booked, MotorInc released their first ride impressions, and Shumi wasn't a 100% into the bike (although almost everything he had to say about it was really nice and in admiration), primarily because it's a new platform and Triumph service hasn't been the best + Speed 400 isn't itself very similar to the bigger Triumphs in terms of ride and engine characteristics. It's a really good 400cc, but not so much of a Triumph. He went ahead to recommend not booking it. So I took it with a grain of salt - there were far more reviewers having to say good things about it.

So I got to Triumph Ahmedabad few days back and decided to give it a go - there's 3 bikes parked inside the Showroom for display, and another 2 sitting outside for testrides. My very first impression when I saw the bike was, that it was fairly compact. Fit and finish levels are on par with what everyone's been raving about, so was really impressed to see that. There were not a lot go people lined up to ride it on a Sunday afternoon, so I got in had a chance to ride it 10 minutes into the Showroom visit.

First thing I noticed when I started riding - the handlebars felt a little too wide (possibly because I'm coming off Access 125) and the seating position makes you lean forward a bit (I'm 5'5). The exhaust sound was much nicer than I expected it to be. First gear didn't feel like much, but then 2nd and 3rd gear onwards when you twist the throttle, it pulls so strong so quickly I felt like I might crash into something. It was very addictive and I was desperately looking for an open stretch of road(the test ride starts out of a service lane) so I get onto the highway and give it a clean stretch to navigate through. It pulls really hard, and you'll get to 100 kmph without noticing. There's vibes coming from the engine and onto the footpegs, but they're unnoticeable with everything else going on. Exhaust lends itself nicely too - it's fairly loud and I could hear it pretty well, and enjoyably from within the closed helmet. The digital display is pretty useless to check for the tacho - I could only clearly see the gear position from my line of sight from within the helmet visor. Also, it took me a little too long to figure out the speed as well, not sure why. But yeah, overall I felt that the console is pretty poorly designed. The suspension was pretty good too - I barely felt any bumps along the way. I don't have much to compare it to - but it felt pretty comfortable, both on low and high speeds.

Also - unrelated to performance and specs, but literally no one notices you when you ride the bike - so road presence isn't a selling point for this one, even the nice exhaust doesn't help. It simply doesn't have the visual bulk for that.

While slowing down and reaching back to the showroom, I started noticing hot air hitting my knees - so the engine does tend to get hot. But nothing too uncomfortable. Overall, I think it rides insanely well, Bajaj is trying really hard to steal from RE and it shows here - huge props to them and their engineering team.

After the test ride, I sat outside the showroom for a bit just for the sake of it, and again, noticed how compact it is when other folks were riding it. You will never notice it on the road - and will need to squint your eyes to see where the exhaust sound is coming from. I saw a CB 350 H'ness, Classic 350 and Dominar all next to it - owners of these bikes seemed interested in the Speed 400 as well, but the Speed 400 is tiny compared to all of them. If the big bike feel is something you want, along with some road presence and attention, this isn't it.

So I'd be cancelling my booking for now - because I'm an attention seeker and would like people to notice the bike when I ride it, even if it's just for the split second. Makes me feel good about myself, and the money that I spend on the hunk of metal justifies itself furthermore. I think Classic 350 does this better, and offers slightly better comfort as well, so not sure, might stick with that and get that later on.

But I also then realised - the bike I'd compare this to is Hunter 350 - which is quite a it cheaper - almost 70k OTR I think, at which point the Speed 400 doesn't look like that much of a steal, but still, I'd say it's far better than Hunter, in almost every aspect. So yeah, your mileage may vary.

I'd recommend everyone to take a test ride before they pull the trigger, given the booking price has now gone up - don't blindly go for the reviews. What you want out of the bike might not be what the reviewer saw, so testing the bike yourself will be the only thing that will clear that up for you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2023 at 03:11. Reason: Inappropriate language edited.
citylights01 is offline   (12) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:45   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
There is one coming up on Hosur road, Bangalore as well.
It is in similar shape as the JP Nagar showroom, but already showing up on google map.
https://goo.gl/maps/7runUibh3j8RkrQJ7
The Electronic City showroom is opening on 27th. Is apparently India's largest showroom and Experience Center.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot_20230822_213210_instagram.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwP6cT9y...c4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
Wonderful news, but we cannot transfer our booking to these showrooms from Keerthi.

Has anybody tried and was successful? I am keen to try that because of the service standpoint. In the new showroom, people will be eager to help and close a lot of things for the end customers. Or am I missing anything here?
You can always buy from Keerthi and then switch to Khivraj for service right? A switch for the purchase does not seem to be possible.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:12   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Electronic City showroom is opening on 27th. Is apparently India's largest showroom and Experience Center.
They goofed up the date or was it open last month? Says 27th July,2023?
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:18   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You can always buy from Keerthi and then switch to Khivraj for service right? A switch for the purchase does not seem to be possible.
True that. However, I would like to start on a note which pleases me and the vendor (in this case, the showroom or supplier) at the same time. Yes, servicing from anywhere and any place is possible, but I have seen that the showrooms are within the city limits and *service centres are a little outside. Telling from my experience of riding and driving since 1992!!!

*exceptions are always there.

Last edited by shailinder : 22nd August 2023 at 22:19. Reason: Missed one point :)
Old 22nd August 2023, 23:42   #518
BHPian

Has anybody been able to compare the 400 with Honda CB300R (maybe an owner as I guess currently its not available). Thanks !
Revention is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 23:49   #519
BHPian

Quote:
The booking is always tied to a dealer and the production/allocation/shipping plan is aligned accordingly. So, transfer is not possible.

But, nothing stops you from getting your bike serviced from an outlet of your choice. So, that shouldnt be a concern.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:07   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Any new Triumph showroom opening in Pune?
B.U. Bhandari (existing Triumph dealer) will be opening 3 more showrooms in Chinchwad, Camp, Viman nagar. Chinchwad will have both sales and service whereas Viman nagar is likely to be Sales only with Camp outlet for Service. Tathawade will have a warehouse/stock yard most likely.
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 12:03   #521
BHPian

Quote:

Apparently JP Nagar showroom is from Keerthi and Hosur road showroom is from Khivraj. When I enquired about the delivery time and all of the bike in Keerthi, they were like you might get the bike delivered from JP Nagar branch.
chakli_kodbale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 15:07   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
A couple of questions though:
1. This is my first new bike. We did buy a new car, so i am guessing it is normal to make the full payment before hand. Can someone please confirm?
2. A bit off topic, but does the duke 390 really vibrate that much or does it get better?
The 2024 Duke 390 is likely to get better at low to mid rpms, but of course, it will be a while before we get one in India, so forget it.

Still, something you can do easily is to swap the chain sprocket kit with one from Duke 250. After this change, your bike will be undergeared and will be much comfortable with lower speed in higher gears in general.
Not to mention, you'll get improved acceleration at the cost of top speed and some cruisability on highways.

2. Duke 390 doesn't vibrate so bad according to industry's standards, the worst vibrators are still Royal Enfields and Apache RTR's.
The reason you feel it so much is because your CBR is industry leading in this matter. CBR is one of the smoothest bike I ever rode. You may get used to it, or not.

One thing more you'll likely suffer from is the stiff seat.
The suspensions are hard too, but you feel the road so well, and handling is very good.
I too own a Duke 390, the most extreme kind, the 152kgs-wet BS3 (2013) model. It rules the road, until something from 600cc category appears.

All things concluded, I think you should go with Speed 400.
Speed 400 will have the mannerisms you're more accustomed to, in your CBR 250R. Its the perfect upgrade.
Samarth 619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 17:26   #523
Senior - BHPian

I have the 390 ADV and the engine heat under normal traffic conditions is too much. I do feel vibrations. It's not a city bike at all, but on the highway she just sings. It's my favourite tourer. The Honda CB350 and the Vstrom 250 don't heat up in the city and are the very best
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
Duke 390 doesn't vibrate so bad according to industry's standards, the worst vibrators are still Royal Enfields and Apache RTR's. All things concluded, I think you should go with Speed 400. Speed 400 will have the mannerisms you're more accustomed to, in your CBR 250R. Its the perfect upgrade.
Sebring is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 19:30   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
The 2024 Duke 390 is likely to get better at low to mid rpms, but of course, it will be a while before we get one in India, so forget it.
All things concluded, I think you should go with Speed 400.
Speed 400 will have the mannerisms you're more accustomed to, in your CBR 250R. Its the perfect upgrade.
Hi Samarth, I agree with you on your comment about the CBR. I was reminded of how smooth it is to ride, only after riding the KTMs.
Also I don't have the habit of riding a low speeds in higher gears. It was just an observation.

The new Duke 390 2024 looks absolutely beautiful. I am seriously hoping that it is available sooner rather than later. Else I'll most likely go ahead with the Triumph.

Last edited by pratik_terni : 23rd August 2023 at 19:45.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 20:20   #525
Senior - BHPian

BUB planning a mega 50 bikes delivery this Sunday, will get confirmation in couple of days. Mine is registered with RTO as per SMS from RTO Pune
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks