Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 17:17   #481
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Have been riding the VSTROM for a year, no busted footpegs here either. If you're 'going to be riding gingerly and is probably scared' then opt for Speed 400. Going offroad takes some learning/time
Of course it's going to take time. The most off-roading I've done yet is taking a BS4 Himalayan over essentially bare rock and fast, sandy roads, some broken roads, and our FZ-25 up a 40 degree sandy slope. I'm not going to be going super fast off-road, but I am going to be super cautious about not hurting the bike.

This video is pretty much showing what I'm talking about.

Coming to the 390 Adv's structure, the chassis, and most of the structural components, the gears, the engine, etc are all the same as the Duke. Of course that's making it a competent tourer. On the other hand, the V-strom is a similar case with the Gixxer 250, but it's got a new swingarm and sub-frame, with new wheels etc. So both of these will make great tourers. But off-road they aren't even close to the Himalayan or XPulse if you're going to go hard. Same way, the Scrambler will be an excellent tourer because the Speed is, and more easy-going than either of those two. Off-road it will be just as capable as hose two, but because of the engine characteristics it will be friendlier. Not to mention that the more easily extracted torque would help to get out of holes and make it easier to climb slopes. But will it be the same as a Himalayan or an X-Pulse? I don't think so. Point taken that the Himalayan's build quality is questionable, but it's still better suited for proper off-roading than the V-Strom, the Scrambler and the Adv.

Personally I'd go for the Scrambler mostly for taller seat height, better comfort, and better at dealing with bad roads. Plus I like the looks better. By no stretch am I going to go quickly over off-road sections and risk damage.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 19:02   #482
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
How much advance payment had you made, in addition to the 2000/- booking amount?
23k over and above the 2k.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:59   #483
Senior - BHPian

Seems Pune RTO work (Creating DB entry for this bike) is done and bike will be delivered next week after complete payment. I got WA message from BUB about paying all amount within a week to get the delivery
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 21:02   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Seems Pune RTO work (Creating DB entry for this bike) is done and bike will be delivered next week after complete payment. I got WA message from BUB about paying all amount within a week to get the delivery
That's amazing news. They had told me they have about 200 already with them so I anticipate I will get mine by end of the month too. So excited
Old 18th August 2023, 22:40   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What to do, we Bengalureans had no other choice. About the bike, is the clutch ease comparable to Honda CB 350?
Yes, the clutch felt light but not as light and easy as CB350 with its slip assist clutch.

I took another longish ride of CB350 today together with classic 350. I also rode Super Meteor 650 and CB500X just for fun!

I think i am more or less confirmed with CB350 now. It suits my requirement to the T.

How do i cancel the booking for S400 and 400X?
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 12:00   #486
BHPian

Seeing how the Speed 400 doesn't have Bluetooth integration, a cellphone mount might be essential on long rides, both for navigation and communication.

Can the experienced bikers here recommend a mount that is secure, easy to use, and affordable?
Old 19th August 2023, 12:30   #487
BHPian

Looks like Keerthi Triumph has started delivieries.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwHPNkSL...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Old 19th August 2023, 12:54   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
Can the experienced bikers here recommend a mount that is secure, easy to use, and affordable?
Bobo makes decent ones. RAM mount is also a good option. However, it is advised not to use your primary phone as a navigation device because these mounts are firm, and every jerk/shake actually shakes the internal of the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakli_kodbale View Post
Looks like Keerthi Triumph has started delivieries.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwHPNkSL...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Just got a call from Keerthi. They wanted me to visit for a test ride. When I asked for delivery timelines, he said deliveries started from 14th Aug onwards, and post full payment, I can expect the bike in 7 to 10 working days (net-net 2 weeks).

When I asked for a preferential test ride slot or long ride etc., then he denied and one needs to discuss it with the manager.

I also asked if I book the bike right now and what will be the delivery timelines, and he confirmed 3-4 months. Still, there is no preference given to people booked in advance. I kind of find this a little strange. If you cannot offer an early delivery, then what is the point of offering test rides for people right now? Those who booked earlier and shown confidence in the bike MUST be given some preference. *No disrespect to new buyers.

What are your thoughts on this point - "test ride preference"?
shailinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 12:58   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Yes, the clutch felt light but not as light and easy as CB350 with its slip assist clutch.

I also rode Super Meteor 650 and CB500X just for fun!
Yet to test ride the Speed 400, hope the clutch feels light enough.

Is CB500X available for sale? I thought it was discontinued!
Old 19th August 2023, 13:02   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think a new model is going to launch soon, most likely in Oct. It may be a facelift over anything else. They might add or discontinue a colour etc., and some work on suspension (source - Google search)
Old 19th August 2023, 21:08   #491
BHPian

Received call from One Triumph, Naraina for completing the payment for my motorcycle.

Visited them today, paid 50k, completed PDI as well, they allocated a bike to my booking(VIN mentioned on my booking) out of 40 numbers they received as first lot.

Seems they got significant cancellations/delay requests as my initial que was 149 and now getting delivery out of first 40 vehicles.

Completing remaining payment by Monday and hoping to receive the delivery by mid of next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_163046.jpg  

Striker_wheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 21:55   #492

Triumph Speed 400 quick test drive impressions.

So I landed at Keerthi triumph at sharp 10 AM today. There was not much rush and the showroom personnel were fresh and eager. Got a ride within 5mins after my details were noted down and licence verified.

Did a test drive with multiple rounds in and around the showroom area with a mix of traffic and sparse roads . Total time spent with the bike was around 25 mins. Here is my summary

The horrible

The horn. Reminded me of a Bajaj sunny from the nineties. Haven't heard a Meeker horn than this one even in the current range of scooters.

The bad

In the first gear, I felt the throttle response jerky and the bike tends to lurch if you are not careful. Did back to back test drives with the RE Scram 411 and Hunter 350 and they have more linear low end torque is what I felt. However this is a matter of getting used to is what I feel.

The oil cooler mesh in the front did not seem well fitted in a few of the demo bikes seen. It was shaky and the clips seemed loose. Apart from this I could not find any flaws in the overall fit and finish.

Some amount of vibration once you cross 6000 RPM which dampened the overall premium feel until then.

Exhaust note felt very commuterish. Equivalent to or a tad better than TVS Ntorq, that's all. RE bikes , Honda Highness etc are no comparison at all. From my albeit poor memory, I think even dominar sounds better. Maybe others can confirm.

The design makes the bike looks small even though it's not actually small. Maybe my subjective opinion. A Hunter 350 looks bigger.

What also left me confused was the handlebar position. It felt slightly extra longer and it's inward curve was not too comfortable for me. I cannot exactly explain what was the problem. But in back to back test rides of Hunter 350 , Scram 411 and Xpulse 200T, I felt the Triumphs handlebar feel the least comfortable of all. For reference, I am 5'11.

The good

Mid range torque is awesome. Pulls like a train.

Brake bite and feedback felt excellent to me. Quite precise.

Fit and finish is seriously good. Heck even the weld joints were finished cleaner than a tiger 1200 parked nearby. See pics.

The suspension is lovely. You don't feel the bad roads and bumps at all. Initial few minutes I was bracing whenever I came across potholes but the bike dismissed them magically. I went and drove an Xpulse 200T immediately after the Triumph test drive to compare. I can rate it approx 70-75 percent of the Xpulse 200T (the on road focussed Xpulse).

Nice gearing and would be great in the city. I was able to comfortably do 20kmph in 4th gear just lazing around. Zero knocking at all.

Other points

Don't be fooled by the pics. Red and Blue look great in photos but in daylight black looked smoking hot (if it's clean). Very nicely contrasts the chrome. A dirty and dusty black speed 400 looks quite drab

Keerthi triumph says they are delivering around 20 bikes a day.

Any new booking now has approx 2.5 - 3 months waiting

Accessories are currently in short supply and may take a few weeks more.

Some pics

PS: Zoom in to compare the 1200's weld joints that seem much cruder in comparison.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_102747.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_102214.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_102735.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_103404.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_103404_1.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230819_103628.jpg  

Deepak George is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 23:42   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Yet to test ride the Speed 400, hope the clutch feels light enough.

Yes, 500X is not available to buy. I saw someone taking a test drive and asked the SA. He gladly agreed and gave me a test ride!
Old 20th August 2023, 02:34   #494
BHPian

New comparo between the 400 and Interceptor.

sprocket is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 07:01   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
Bobo makes decent ones. RAM mount is also a good option. However, it is advised not to use your primary phone as a navigation device because these mounts are firm, and every jerk/shake actually shakes the internal of the phone.
Ordered a Bobo mount, thanks. I'll install it as soon as I get the bike.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks