Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 18:25   #466
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Just received the following message:

Quote:
Dear Antz.Bin,

We have received your allocated Speed 400 bike from Triumph and would request you to make the full payment within 1 week to enable us for speedy delivery of your bike. If not paid within 1 week, the next customer in sequence would be allocated the bike.

If you have already paid the money and have a submitted all the documents please ignore this message.

Documents required for Registration are
1. Adharcard
2. Pancard
3. Electricity Bill ( Same address as Adharcard)

For any queries, you may call on Rajesh 98500abcde
The problem is I am still undecided. Maybe I will make up my mind by Sunday.

Wish me luck!
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 18:30   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Wish me luck!
Hahahaha the irony is that I prebooked it later than you and have been waiting with baited breath for BU Bhandari to call me for delivery . I had decided to buy it the day I test rode the bike.

I spoke to them just yesterday and they're saying I would be in the first 400 or so. The wait continues until the end of the month, at least.
Old 17th August 2023, 18:53   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can anybody just walk in (Say, a new booking), pay a premium, and get the bike?
Cannot say that for sure, but kind of sounded like if you are willing to put in the whole money upfront in advance,you can get a quick delivery. Of course just my inference. No data to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
According to Keerthi Triumph, the current wait time is 4-5 months, in case of a new booking.
When I was at Khivraj early August, I had asked them delivery time for a fresh booking and they had said max September end or October mid. Folks looking to book now should definitely check Khivraj also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 20:54   #469
BHPian

Have been riding the R15 V2 for past 10 years. I am planning to upgrade, but our market is void of powerful, refined, fully faired 300 cc bikes, priced within 3 to 3.2 lacs on-road. I would have gone for the stellar looking Apache RR 310, but 2 test rides and both times I felt mild to strong vibrations from handlebars and fairing. Not considering RC390 and Ninja 300 due to pricing (above 4 lacs).

Was just wondering, any possibility Triumph/Bajaj would come up with a faired version of the Speed 400? Because it would be vfm, well built and most importantly, refined.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th August 2023 at 20:58. Reason: Clean up formatting edits.
Old 17th August 2023, 21:22   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Was just wondering, any possibility Triumph/Bajaj would come up with a faired version of the Speed 400? Because it would be vfm, well built and most importantly, refined.
Nope, and scout a used ninja 300.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th August 2023 at 21:31. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 17th August 2023, 22:01   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Bikes dont do anything on their own, it is the RIDER which does.
Agreed sir, and skill makes for a huge part of what the bike can do. But think about jumping a V-Strom SX and an XPulse. the V-Strom is likely to bust a footpeg, and maybe even damage a wheel. Leaving rider skill aside, as a baseline the Scrambler feels better. And to me, after riding both, the Adv 390 is just a Duke 390 on stilts with some electronics here and there. The character of the engine, and hence its driveability with the same rider, remain unchanged. The Scrambler's engine is probably better suited for a beginner off-roader like me, who won't be going fast, will be going gingerly, and probably is scared.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 23:53   #472
BHPian

Went to Keerthi Triumph today at around 4.30PM for my first (of many) test drives. Saw the bike(s) for the first time. There was a sea of Reds with 1 blue and may be couple of blacks.

The lady at the front desk complimented me for the jeans and shoes! Bikes looked smaller, almost like commuter bikes but well built as everybody knows.
But what a dump the showroom is. Its an abomination for a brand like Triumph to operate from a pit! If people have bought expensive bikes from such a place, hats off to their bravery!

The test ride was in chock-a-block traffic in Residency, St Marks, Queens road area. I felt some vibes on the handle bar at about 4-5k rpms constantly but the pull was very linear and exhilarating. My wife was riding pillion but she was very uncomfortable. She flat out refused to sit if i bought one!

I asked for the onroad price and the tired/disinterested lady at the front pointed me to the board with the on road price. This was with 2.33L and not with 2.23 introductory pricing. For 2.33L, the on road price was 3.05L. She said deliveries haven't started yet and they will get in touch with me later.

During the ride, the fan as running constantly and quite a lot of heat was being emitted. I didn't feel much probably because there wasn't that much heat or my jeans was really thick! The guy in charge of the test rides said the bikes are constantly running from 10AM so are usually overheated by the end of the say. Regular bikes will not be subjected to such torture.

Anyway, i liked the bike and the ride. However, still not completely decided if i will buy or not.

Also test drove CB350 also around Lavelle road. My wife was a lot more comfortable on this bike. With discounts etc, CB350 is about 30K cheaper than S400. With my planned list of accessories also, it will be about 20K cheaper. I will decide in the next couple of months.

Also checked out HD X440. Felt heavy but looked nice. Will wait for test rides to start and decide. I am not in any hurry as of now.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 09:19   #473
Senior - BHPian

Third-party accessories are coming up, this windscreen from Carbon racing.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-s01.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-s02.jpeg
sukiwa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 11:20   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Also test drove CB350 also around Lavelle road. .... I am not in any hurry as of now.
You might already know but the lack of 6th gear in CB350 will annoy and won't let the engine run *free* above 80kmph. While you might not feel the lack of 6th in city and abouts but once you are in "freedom" mode on open roads, you will be trying to upshift after 5th and machine would nudge "c'mon man, you didn't know I don't got 6th!!"
Then this will be an ongoing chat between man and machine.

Saying from experience.

cheers!
wangdu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 11:46   #475
Senior - BHPian

What to do, we Bengalureans had no other choice. About the bike, is the clutch ease comparable to Honda CB 350?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
But what a dump the showroom is. Its an abomination for a brand like Triumph to operate from a pit! If people have bought expensive bikes from such a place, hats off to their bravery
Old 18th August 2023, 12:18   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But think about jumping a V-Strom SX and an XPulse. the V-Strom is likely to bust a footpeg, and maybe even damage a wheel.
V-storm is surprisingly very well built and i have been riding my Xpulse with one for a while now. We have done a lot of off-roading together, jumping here and there. And also long rides from Bangalore to Goa choosing jungle trails and riding off the road wherever possible. Initially even i was not too convinced but after spending a lot of time together off the road, i think its a very capable bike and so far, there are no busted foot pegs or damaged wheel. Sharing some pics below.

Quote:
Leaving rider skill aside, as a baseline the Scrambler feels better. And to me, after riding both, the Adv 390 is just a Duke 390 on stilts with some electronics here and there. The character of the engine, and hence its driveability with the same rider, remain unchanged. The Scrambler's engine is probably better suited for a beginner off-roader like me, who won't be going fast, will be going gingerly, and probably is scared.
Triumph 400 engine platform definitely sounds like a more forgiving and beginner friendly. And it would appeal to majority of the interested folks. 390 adv is more of a niche bike and its characters may not suit everyone.

Also, we blindly follow rhetoric like 390 adv is just a Duke on stilts but we dont really know what all is gone under the skin and what all it takes to make a strong bike. Talking of structures, anything on stilts will naturally get more unstable and fragile, and to make the same suitable for a much harsher environment takes a lot of design, engineering, testing and validation. We all know how some of the initial lot Himalayan were breaking their frame and foot pegs but not the case with 390 adv.

Given an option, i would myself choose the scrambler 400 over 390 adv, as that suits my riding requirements. But i give credit to the 390 adv for where its due, and that bike is not just about off roading, but it sings on highway as well, when in its elements. Doing a 1000 kms a day highway ride on the bike and our bodies would be thanking us for choosing that one.
Must check insta page of our fellow rider Nithin and see what all he does with that bike. Thats another extreme though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnCWCL7tCV7/?hl=en

Guess we have drifted from the topic, that is Speed 400.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-01-00.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-01-001.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-01-01.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230408_071640.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 18th August 2023 at 12:26.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 12:35   #477
Senior - BHPian

Have been riding the VSTROM for a year, no busted footpegs here either. If you're 'going to be riding gingerly and is probably scared' then opt for Speed 400. Going offroad takes some learning/time
Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
But think about jumping a V-Strom SX and an XPulse. the V-Strom is likely to bust a footpeg. The Scrambler's engine is probably better suited for a beginner off-roader like me, who won't be going fast, will be going gingerly, and probably is scared.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 12:37   #478

Agree with @snappysam on his observations about the Speed 400. I took the test ride at BU Bhandari, Pune, and surprisingly, the sales team was not too enthusiastic or lively about this new launch. They had to be waved at and called to attend to prospective customers (many). The fact that I hadn't pre-booked the bike and was there just to experience Speed 400 in the flesh, was not appealing enough for the team. So the initial excitement was diluted for me at least.

When the SA finally arrived (almost unwillingly) from their group chit-chat, instead of showing the bike and explaining the features, etc., I was thrust with the test ride form! I insisted on being explained about the bike first which the SA did in the dullest way possible, as if just to complete a task assigned to him. A bummer from the dealership I guess.

Anyway, coming to the test ride, as mentioned by @snappysam precisely about the missing 40 horses, I wondered about the same! I mean there was simply no rush of power, and honestly didn't give a feeling of a 400cc bike. Also, the hype created by reviewers about the ultimate finish, quality, etc. is nothing but just hype! The quality, fit, and finish are good no doubt, but not extraordinary. It could have been better for sure. Though the bike looks handsome in black for sure, followed closely by red and blue.

I mean at Rs.2.88 L on the road I expected a little more from the bike, at least in terms of pure riding thrill. I didn't feel much of a difference in experience when compared to my 2003 Pulsar. Not being overly critical of this new offering, but this is exactly how I felt, and my expectations from Speed 400 were high.
rhdongre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 16:27   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Wish me luck!
How much advance payment had you made, in addition to the 2000/- booking amount?
Old 18th August 2023, 16:53   #480
BHPian

How on the earth can one buy a bike without a satisfactory test ride? Before cancelling, just wanted to make sure that I have some decent kms ridden to make the correct opinion on the bike, but Tarun (sales team @ Keerthi) keeps pushing the date for longer test ride back.

Have been trying to get a longer test ride, but looks like Keerthi is busy giving longer test rides for "bholggers" and not potential buyers.

No wonder Sid and team are smiling all the way to the bank.
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks