Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 06:58   #451
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Taking about the seat, guess one should be able to fit the scrambler seat on to speed.

The fitting fixture should be identical between these 2 models. scrambler seat definitely looks more comfortable.
There is an accessory seat that is available for the Speed but first you must figure out if there is even a problem with the current seat.

Modify the odometer of the bike and enjoy it stock for a while when you figure this out. Don't think of modifying straight out of the showroom.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 10:19   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
I saw a couple of Youtube shorts from people in Hyderabad who seem to have gotten their bikes delivered but I also noticed that they dont have registration numbers on them. Seems to be a bit hush hush too.

When I checked with the Pune dealer last week, they were waiting for final RTO approvals and had a lot of at least 100 bikes ready to go at the time. I'm expecting mine to be delivered in end August (have put down 25k) as I am ~450 or so in the line and they were estimating 400 bikes this month.

Has anyone else asked or followed up about deliveries in Pune or other cities? I am finding it hard to contain my excitement.
They are still waiting for RTO to give approval and have this bike in their system for registrations to start . It was launched a month back and the systems are still not up !!
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:58   #453
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody just walk in (Say, a new booking), pay a premium, and get the bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I repeated the same thing and then asked about deliveries. His response was, bikes are available, if you make payment now, you can get it delivered in 10 days. Did not sound like they are following a proper booking sequence. Anyways, since I am undecided, said I will get back later.
Old 17th August 2023, 13:31   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can anybody just walk in (Say, a new booking), pay a premium, and get the bike?
According to Keerthi Triumph, the current wait time is 4-5 months, in case of a new booking.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 14:05   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
A review by a mature duo:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nOaMcOS-WlA

Caution: Has some expletives, NSFW.
Yes I have seen it earlier and is a good watch. After seeing many of the reviews/shorts of the S400 all I can say is that only these guys touched the aspect of the ride by wire throttle response of the S400 as compared to the conventional ones.
pskanp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 14:42   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
Shumi seems convinced a Tiger 400 (a Tiger Cub, if I may) is coming no later than 2025.
On the other hand, Big Bear Customs formerly Art of Unwinding, a group of 50+ very experienced riders, is convinced that there may never be a Tiger 400, fearing that it may effect the sales of the bigger Tigers, the cash cows! Only time will tell...
windiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 14:45   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
On the other hand, Big Bear Customs formerly Art of Unwinding, a group of 50+ very experienced riders, is convinced that there may never be a Tiger 400, fearing that it may effect the sales of the bigger Tigers, the cash cows! Only time will tell...
Yeah, I just saw their video, and they're not wrong. A Tiger 400 would literally be a KTM 390 Adv with every single thing fixed in it, without the trash quickshifter. It would murder everything else in the segment.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:04   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I just saw their video, and they're not wrong. A Tiger 400 would literally be a KTM 390 Adv with every single thing fixed in it, without the trash quickshifter. It would murder everything else in the segment.
Don't you think that the Scrambler 400X too has the potential of pulling people away from the 390ADV which is infamous for it's seat height of 855mm, the stiff suspension, the lack of bottom end power, the plastic fuel tank (so no mag tank bags). The areas where 390ADV trumps the Scrambler are the suspension travel 170vs150mm IIRC, higher capacity tank 14.5 vs 13 Ltr,.
Old 17th August 2023, 15:08   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think that the Scrambler 400X too has the potential of pulling people away from the 390ADV which is infamous for it's seat height of 855mm, the stiff suspension, the lack of bottom end power, the plastic fuel tank (so no mag tank bags). The areas where 390ADV trumps the Scrambler are the suspension travel 170vs150mm IIRC, higher capacity tank 14.5 vs 13 Ltr,.
I think it will, as long as no one goes seriously off-roading with it. Anything you can do with the Adv X, you should be able to do with the Scrambler and a bit more, but I would be very wary of going over terrain like bare, bumpy rock, etc, or doing any serious jumps with it. Even the 390 Adv doesn't do all of that perfectly, only the Xpulse and the Himalayan can handle those. It's definitely going to be a far superior tourer though.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:17   #460
BHPian

Quote:
I think it will, as long as no one goes seriously off-roading with it. Anything you can do with the Adv X, you should be able to do with the Scrambler and a bit more, but I would be very wary of going over terrain like bare, bumpy rock, etc, or doing any serious jumps with it. Even the 390 Adv doesn't do all of that perfectly, only the Xpulse and the Himalayan can handle those. It's definitely going to be a far superior tourer though.
....And that is the reason I've booked a Scrambler 400X!
Old 17th August 2023, 16:05   #461
BHPian

Quote:
....And that is the reason I've booked a Scrambler 400X!
And also the reason I intend to book one the second your review is out!
AulusGabinius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 16:05   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything you can do with the Adv X, you should be able to do with the Scrambler and a bit more, but I would be very wary of going over terrain like bare, bumpy rock, etc, or doing any serious jumps with it. Even the 390 Adv doesn't do all of that perfectly, only the Xpulse and the Himalayan can handle those. It's definitely going to be a far superior tourer though.
Bikes dont do anything on their own, it is the RIDER which does.

I have seem people doing crazy things with 390 adv, off the road. Its has a very respectable fan following and especially out side India. ADV bikes are built and tested to withstand much harsher environment and terrain, where as a scrambler is typically a variant of its street sibling, which can do a bit of trails. If we subject a scrambler to harsher terrain and challenges, things are most likely to give way, sooner than later.

Coming back to question of whether there are capable of pulling customers from one to another, Let us see. Usually there are two types of buyers, one who knows exactly what he whats for his usage and will go for it, and second, who is not sure of what he wants from a motorcycle and can be influenced with marketing, brand, cost, peer pressure, etc. So its this second type of buyer who are in majority and can easily be pulled from one brand to another. In this case, there are higher probability of scrambler pulling the 390 adv customers to their side, then vice-versa, purely because scrambler seems like more forgiving of the two.

I was myself interested in 390 adv prior to its launch, but did not buy it as i knew it did not suit my requirements. Now i am equally excited and interested in scrambler 400 and most likely will choose between the two as my next bike. (the other bike in contention being the upcoming Himalayan 450)
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 17:07   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Bikes dont do anything on their own, it is the RIDER which does.
Very well said Sir. As always: the man atop the machine rules

Quote:
Coming back to question of whether there are capable of pulling customers from one to another, Let us see.
As of now the things stand thus :-
For 390 ADV : widespread service network, cheap maintenance, already an established brand.
Against : lack of low end, plasticky, Chhapri stigma.

For Speed/Scrambler 400 : refined engine, strong low and mid range, brand value, Bajaj's backing in India, initial hype & excitement.
Against : lack of proper sales and service network (only 15/16 outlets likely to grow to around 100 in times to come), no reach in 2nd and 3rd tier cities, impractical service interval (by general standards), First batch (yet to prove its capabilities), appears tiny (comparable to Pulsars and lack of road presence), actual maintenance cost is a big question as yet.

Quote:
Now i am equally excited and interested in scrambler 400 and most likely will choose between the two as my next bike. (the other bike in contention being the upcoming Himalayan 450)
You have thousands out there with very high hopes on the REH 450. And with the killer pricing of recent launches in the 400-500cc segment, I won't be surprised if ADV soon announces a price cut and Himalayan 450 is also launched with a very competitive price tag.
Both ways, the biker fraternity gains
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 17:41   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have thousands out there with very high hopes on the REH 450. And with the killer pricing of recent launches in the 400-500cc segment, I won't be surprised if ADV soon announces a price cut and Himalayan 450 is also launched with a very competitive price tag.
Both ways, the biker fraternity gains
KTM already has introduced a base variant with reduced features at a reduced cost in "390 adv X". Wonder how much more can they further reduce/cut the price, as to begin with, 390 adv is loaded with features and equipment. But we never know as both are manufactured by Hamara Bajaj which owns close to half the shares of KTM, where as with triumph, its only collaborative tie up.

Himalayan 450 is definitely raised hopes as high as Himalayas, and hope they are able to deliver to most of that hope. Also hoping and Looking forward to the launch later this year and the pricing. My guess is that RE will wait for triumph to reveal the price of scrambler 400 and decide accordingly. We have deviated a bit from the Topic, that is speed 400.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 17th August 2023 at 17:44.
Old 17th August 2023, 17:49   #465
BHPian

This may be off topic but I test rode the ADVx 390 just last week (actually wanted to TR the duke and RC but they didnt have either) and was disappointed. The footpegs and handle were vibey at idle and all they way up to about 3000 rpm. Even my wife said the rear grabrail was vibrating. It took a lot of empty road and high rpms to feel any sort of excitement. The speed 400 felt so much better to me, considering I would be in city mode for 85% of the time and on highways (under the legal limit of 100/120 kmph) for the rest.

I also test rode the hunter 350 and the H'ness to compare with the speed 400. I know they are very different but I wanted to get an experience of other brands' offerings. The ADVx was definitely the most jarring as it felt like it could do only one thing very well and the rest it was heavily compromised at. The other bikes were above par at one thing but were at least passable at the rest (not offroading ofc).

The ADVx is targetted to be taken offroad but my review of the engine and feature set itself would be almost the same, and all that considering it costs 40k more than the s400. I cant really digest the fact that the RC is almost 1 lakh more expensive on road. At the end of the day, it made me realise that the speed 400 is something special considering what it can do and how much it costs.
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks