Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 19:33   #1801
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

My 10 months of riding experience with 6.9K kms on the Odometer since 15th Oct, 2023:

What I love about this Speed 400 is that its a very well built also powered by a high revving engine. Means it loves to be revved up. Proof I got when I started riding it with revving it more and started getting more mileage. Also few more advantages I saw since I started riding like this way like more smoother engine, more pick up and that sudden crazy pull when just revved up a bit. This practice and topping up my tank from Nyara has almost solved my problem of engine stall. I ride this bike for daily office commuting for min 50km. I rarely get engine stall issue although my route consists of many of Kolkata’s most notorious traffic signals. Still there is no stall.

Checked now after our latest trip this 15th Aug Sunday from Kolkata to Joypur forest, Bishnupur (Bankura) and back and riding few more Kms after that, but surprisingly observed that I had covered 380km in 11.33ltr of petrol tank to tank, means I had a gas mileage of whopping 33.54kmpl and that includes more than 70km of city peak traffic riding with frequent signals and stops.

Also, I will later write with few points that how one can reduce stalling issue almost altogether.

Last edited by topse : 18th August 2024 at 19:35.
topse is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 10:03   #1802
BHPian

They say good things come to those who wait- that's true at least for me and my Speed 400. After months of dilly-dallying and having nearly finalized an FZS25 2 years ago, I finally decided it was time to let my trusty old Pulsar 220F go and bring home a new bike- a beautiful black Speed 400. My needs were similar to most other folks buying motorcycles in this category- mostly city riding with occasional highway rides thrown in (thinking of an acronym for this use case because of how common it is- came up with MCOH for mostly city occasional highway ). I also needed it to be a substantial step-up from my 220, and in many ways a future proof bike- it needed to have enough power to keep me interested for a few years, while also serving as a stepping stone to the next level, should I ever get there.

Why the 400cc class?
It's no secret that the last couple of years have been an absolute blockbuster year for the entry-level middleweight segment. It started with the Speed 400 in June 2023, which was then followed by a deluge of other launches, all equally mouthwatering. While a 300-odd cc bike is also perfectly capable, the sheer capability offered by the 390+ segment while only being a small price bump away was too hard to resist. I therefore kept practicality and good sense aside and rejected the CB350s, Pulsar N250, CB300F etc and took the plunge into the ~40bhp brigade.

Options evaluated:

1. Guerrilla 450- the most obvious competitor to the Speed 400. Was absolutely smitten by its looks (a mini Ducati Scrambler!). But somehow that small fuel tank and those bespoke tyres led me away from it, even though it produced more power and was a hoot and a half at higher revs. I decided I needed something that was better in the low and mid range than sheer top end. Doubts about low speed suspension comfort also surfaced, and a recent MotorInc video that also highlighted its lack of grip in rainy weather conditions put paid to that decision. Safety always had to come first.

2. Honda CB350- Honda's Bullet had me smitten too, especially in that beautiful Matte Crust colour- that looks simply classy! But thoughts about its lack of power and how it would fare on the highway in the longer term played on my mind, hence decided to stick to a 40bhp bike.

3. Interceptor Bear 650- This was a great proposition over the regular Interceptor, but lack of tubeless tyres and a potential waiting period put me off for now. Maybe an upgrade is on the cards in 4-5 years when RE releases more models in their 650 lineup/improve their overall lineup.

4. Pulsar NS400Z- my wife categorically said that our marriage would be in jeopardy if I chose another Pulsar- so this was out from the very beginning. But I did think about it seriously for a while- the inferior tyre and brake combo didn't help matters, and with the Speed 400 getting discounts in August, it was a no-brainer to choose that over the NS for a small premium.

5. RTR310- another near-perfect bike, but that stepped seat didn't lend itself to pillion comfort. Hence discarded. Plus I also preferred a slightly more retro look, and at 35, I don't think an unhealthy obsession with something that looked like a Transformer toy would do me any favours in keeping accusations of midlife crisis at bay.

6. Hero Mavrick 440- thought long and hard about this- the quality of the finish and the slightly lower power delivery in this didn't appeal to me. I can see why people would choose this, but it just wasn't for me. Also lack of sales in the first few months would then lead to lukewarm interest in the used market when it was time, so shied away from it.

7. CB300F/N250- these were more lateral upgrades to the P220F. Considered them for the sheer practicality and mileage they offer, but dropped it quickly when I considered longevity of use (read future-proof).

8. Scrambler 400X- liked it, but the 40k increase in price combined with the inferior road tyres and brake package compared to the Speed tilted the scales in the latter's favour.

9. Duke 390 Gen 3- Lovely bike, but those Transformers looks and price didn't appeal to me. Maybe the 390 ADV as a step up in a few years? Who knows Added note- wasn't a fan of the Svartpilen 401's looks either.

Didn't consider the CB300R, Classic Legends group, RE 350s, Himalayan 450 etc seriously enough. Always thought the above list were better alternatives to what they offered.

Weighted scores to add to the confusion:

Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot-20240829-9.54.098239am.png

Some pictures from the delivery. I went to Khivraj on Hosur Road, and things were done very smoothly there. Nothing to complain at all- got a good deal and closed it for under 2.95L OTR Bangalore.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-20240828_122938.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img20240828wa0002.jpg

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 29th August 2024 at 10:20.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 17:36   #1803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congratulations on your beautiful machine! Looks sweet and stealthy in black. Happy riding!
Carguy9902 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 11:57   #1804
BHPian

I have been personally in love with how good the Speed 400 looks ever since it was launched. The fit and finish look absolutely spot on. I have taken a test ride as well, and it looks and handles amazingly well.

What I am a little confused about is which is a better proposition to buy: a Speed 400 or a used second-generation Duke 390, both of which will be roughly similarly priced.

In most of the video comparisons online, the Speed 400 is shown as the clear winner in most aspects. What do fellow forum members think about this?
i_rock098 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 13:34   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
I have been personally in love with how good the Speed 400 looks ever since it was launched. The fit and finish look absolutely spot on. I have taken a test ride as well, and it looks and handles amazingly well.

What I am a little confused about is which is a better proposition to buy: a Speed 400 or a used second-generation Duke 390, both of which will be roughly similarly priced.

In most of the video comparisons online, the Speed 400 is shown as the clear winner in most aspects. What do fellow forum members think about this?
The speed in the more friendlier bike in the city. Better city suspension, ergos, torque delivery. A gen 3 390 is the better highway/fun bike, you have to be on it.

The gen 3 390 trumps both. It's altogether a different level wrt the frame, suspension and engine. Worth the stretch if possible if the speed feels too calm.
Old 4th September 2024, 19:09   #1806
BHPian

Congrats on your bike. I love the Speed 400, not so much with the scrambler. I see quite a few of these on my commute and only see the Red ones. I am happy you got yourself the bike in Black. This bike was meant to be admired in this color. Throw on a jet black riding jacket, a matt black LS2 or AGV and it will look like something from a movie. The bike pulls so nicely and is quite manageable in the city roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
5. RTR310- ...and at 35, I don't think an unhealthy obsession with something that looked like a Transformer toy would do me any favours in keeping accusations of midlife crisis at bay.
You just shot a bullet thru my heart with that statement.
doomketu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 19:45   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomketu View Post
Congrats on your bike. I love the Speed 400, not so much with the scrambler. I see quite a few of these on my commute and only see the Red ones. I am happy you got yourself the bike in Black. This bike was meant to be admired in this color. Throw on a jet black riding jacket, a matt black LS2 or AGV and it will look like something from a movie. The bike pulls so nicely and is quite manageable in the city roads.

You just shot a bullet thru my heart with that statement.
Thank you for your kind words!

About the RTR- all I can say is you do you . I was only looking for a certain flavour of bike, if you like the RTR (which is a stunning bike btw, and also comes in black), you should go for it regardless of others' opinions all the best!

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 4th September 2024 at 19:49.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 21:50   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Thank you for your kind words!

About the RTR- ……..you should go for it regardless of others' opinions all the best!
Exactly. I have been riding the arsenal black rtr310 (Appucha) for 6months now. Each day I ride, my grin gets wider and wider.
doomketu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 14:00   #1809
BHPian

Updated Speed 400 launched:
Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot-20240917-1.57.158239pm.png

1. New Yellow colour
2. Blackened exhaust ve the metallic one on previous year's bike
3. 10 mm more seat foam
4. Adjustable levers
5. Vredstein high profile tyres
Silverfire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 14:47   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Attachment 2656044

1. New Yellow colour
3. 10 mm more seat foam
4. Adjustable levers
6. Front and Rear Suspension Travel reduced by 10mm according to the specifications on the website.
nr07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 14:51   #1811
BHPian

It looked better with the silver exhaust. That said, I'll be getting the adjustable levers installed. They could have also increased the power/ torque ratings for the regular Speed 400 for better cruising on highway speeds. Presently it's a bit buzzy and strained. Also, any official aux lamp option would have been useful.

Last edited by Senotrius : 17th September 2024 at 14:55.
Senotrius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 15:09   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Attachment 2656044

1. New Yellow colour
3. 10 mm more seat foam
4. Adjustable levers
Also 3kg heavier than early speed 400s. The T4 is heavier still by another kilo
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 15:38   #1813
BHPian

Have they fixed the stalling issue in the 2025 model? I hope the low speed fueling is smoother now.
Old 20th September 2024, 19:11   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
3kg heavier than early speed 400s
any reason for such weight increase?
Old 20th September 2024, 19:51   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzvish91 View Post
any reason for such weight increase?
Just Bajaj being Bajaj I guess. They silently change parts all the time, for example, older gen 1 390s had a higher redline, compared to the revisions. That is why you have people harp on about how gen 1 is insane when its just that those guys managed to get a more reliable piece with more hardcore specs. This will probably happen with Speed 400 as well. I wouldn't worry too much losing performance. As parts get worn and replaced down the line, the '24s would also be fitted with the new, heavier parts.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks