Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2024, 11:06   #1756
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post
My fight with Triumph is much larger - I am picking up a Tiger900 where the handling charges of 26K are quoted by BU Bhandari in my home state of Goa.
The same dealer had quoted handling charges of ₹1500 for Speed 400. Did you inform them that there are Supreme Court and Delhi HC ruling wrt levy of handling charges. You can also complain to Director of Transport, Goa, at dir-tran.goa@nic.in .
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 11:16   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
requesting the learned forum members to help me in choosing from the above bikes. I will be primarily riding the bike on broken/potholed roads of Bangalore and occasional highway tours of 100-300 kms.
I would ignore both of those and suggest Mavrick 440 or Honda Hiness. I have test ridden all four and I can say these 2 are better compared to Triumph n RS.

Honda Hiness felt way better in terms of riding position, seating, and handle bar was very good.

Mavrick had all the bells of Harley's super good engine and much more whistles. Suspension was the best across all around the league comparatively. The exhaust note, riding posture, torque, everything was too good to ignore.
srkriz26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 11:36   #1758
BHPian

Guys what's the oil they filled in during the first service? Am getting some semi synthetic brand called Pro Lube 10 w 50
Old 8th June 2024, 00:09   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

The conundrum:
Given that you rode the UCE Classic 350 for 40k kms, I would assume that you like a long stroke engine. Your perfect upgrade would have been Classic Reborn 500. But RE pulled a plug on their 500 singles.
So you can look at the Harley X440 as it also a characterful motor that makes power and torque in line with the erstwhile classic 500 and is quite a smooth engine. The exhaust also sounds very nice!
You can also consider the Hero Mavrick (that comes with the same engine), however it doesn’t look like a retro bike, that you seem to prefer.

Go for the Triumph if you want a mix of retro charm and sporty performance and ergonomics. That engine is a short stroke engine but has been tuned for ample low and mid range torque, so you can still ride at higher gears at lower RPMs.
Also it’s a bike with least road presence in that segment, if that matters to you!

Honda 350 won’t be much of an upgrade (in terms of power and torque) and it does lack character when compared to RE and Harley.

Last edited by Waspune : 8th June 2024 at 00:11.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 08:15   #1760
BHPian

Motul 7100 is my permanent go to oil and I do not exceed over 5000 kms before an oil change. The filter in some cases can have a much longer life.
Old 14th June 2024, 18:07   #1761

Shim/Tappet Noise
I have been hearing a vibration noise from the engine on my speed400. I wanted to know if there are others facing this problem as well wanted and if there is any solution to this. I consulted with the service center in Nagpur(in May) and the manager said the noise is from the engine shim but advised against fixing it in the summer said the heat could cause damage if the shim is too tight. Felt like he was trying to avoid fixing it.
Old 14th June 2024, 20:43   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha7 View Post
Shim/Tappet Noise
I have been hearing a vibration noise from the engine on my speed400. I wanted to know if there are others facing this problem as well wanted and if there is any solution to this. I consulted with the service center in Nagpur(in May) and the manager said the noise is from the engine shim but advised against fixing it in the summer said the heat could cause damage if the shim is too tight. Felt like he was trying to avoid fixing it.
Be it summer or winter, if the valve clearance is within spec, there will be no issue.
Having said that, I will suggest you to not get the shim work done unless the noise is too much or if you noticing drop in performance. There will always be some level of shim noise in most of these bikes but as long as the noise isn't bothersome and other aspects (performance, fuel efficiency, heating) are normal, avoid getting it done.

^ this suggestion is not from my technical knowledge but I have got this exact response from 5 different reliable mechanics whenever I asked them to replace shims due to ticking noise in my CBR250R. Eventually I listened to them (all 5 mechanics can't be wrong?) and stopped worrying about it as my bike performance/fuel efficiency/heating is same as ever in spite of the shim noise.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 21:02   #1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
Be it summer or winter, if the valve clearance is within spec, there will be no issue.
Having said that, I will suggest you to not get the shim work done unless the noise is too much or if you noticing drop in performance. There will always be some level of shim noise in most of these bikes but as long as the noise isn't bothersome and other aspects (performance, fuel efficiency, heating) are normal, avoid getting it done.

^ this suggestion is not from my technical knowledge but I have got this exact response from 5 different reliable mechanics whenever I asked them to replace shims due to ticking noise in my CBR250R. Eventually I listened to them (all 5 mechanics can't be wrong?) and stopped worrying about it as my bike performance/fuel efficiency/heating is same as ever in spite of the shim noise.
Thank you for sharing your experience. For me the noise isn't that big of an issue however I feel there is a certain drop in the top end performance on my bike. I think I'll test it out a little more and then decide on getting the work done.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th June 2024 at 21:52.
Old 15th June 2024, 02:45   #1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha7 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. For me the noise isn't that big of an issue however I feel there is a certain drop in the top end performance on my bike. I think I'll test it out a little more and then decide on getting the work done.
How much would it roughly cost to take the bike in for repair?
Old 15th June 2024, 09:41   #1765

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaknar View Post
How much would it roughly cost to take the bike in for repair?
I am not sure about the price, will definitely update about it when I get an estimate from the service centre.
Old 24th June 2024, 17:09   #1766
BHPian

How is the quilted seat (the one fitted by default on the Scrambler 400X) for long distance comfort, especially for pillion riders?

Both my wife and my cousin have complained about the pillion on the Speed 400 being tough to ride on for long, in addition to leg numbness they developed due to the high set foot pegs.

Can someone who has installed the quilted seat comment?
Old 25th June 2024, 11:25   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
How is the quilted seat (the one fitted by default on the Scrambler 400X) for long distance comfort, especially for pillion riders?

Both my wife and my cousin have complained about the pillion on the Speed 400 being tough to ride on for long, in addition to leg numbness they developed due to the high set foot pegs.

Can someone who has installed the quilted seat comment?
The guy in our group who got the Speed got it recently. Haven't sat on it for a long time, but I have ridden it for about 10 km. The foam etc are all the same, but the shape is different. it's flatter and therefore easier to shift on or to sit for a slightly longer time. The quilting also helps ventilate a bit. Leg-wise ergos are exactly the same.

On the Scrambler, it makes it a tad easier to move and easier to ride on broken surfaces due to the plums not getting smushed on sudden bumps.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks