Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2024, 15:30   #1651

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Good to get it checked. How far have you ridden after the first service? If the oil is leaking at that rate then you should notice some oil level drop, have you checked the levels?

The excessive chain lube happened with me as well on the 400X after the service but not to this extent. I would agree with you and it does look like the oil coming from the front sprocket.
ODO is at 1400KMs+ and I have done my first service at 1050KMs+. Actually I have indeed lubed my chain last week with Motul C2, maybe a bit excessively as I was hearing chain noise before. I hope it’s sludge from front sprocket. As I haven’t done chain clean since ODO 500KMs, as I thought the chain is relatively clean and it doesn’t need cleaning.

Also the engine oil is in Red color when I look at the window and it covers the full window when I put my bike straight. When the oil drips to floor it’s black and thick, probably because it’s falling on the exhaust cat converter and getting burned off as a result.

My fingers are crossed 🤞🏻I hope it’s sludge buildup due to excess lube. I will take it to the service center next week and give an update on the issue
IamJacK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 10:10   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post

TLDR: Get your oil health checked up regularly before you decide to change it earlier than the manufacturer guideline asks you to. Thumb rules rarely work across different bikes and you might feel like you did the right thing but you might also be draining money (and oil) unnecessarily.
How to get the oil health checked? Is there an equipment at the triumph service center that takes in a sample of oil and returns the result as the condition of the oil?

It is not possible to judge the condition of the oil just by looking at the color of the oil and rubbing it between fingers.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 15:55   #1653
BHPian

The DTE and fuel gauge issue is still not fixed in my unit. February update done and just informing here.
Old 12th February 2024, 18:06   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
The DTE and fuel gauge issue is still not fixed in my unit. February update done and just informing here.
I'm finding the DTE to be unreliable too. Not sure if the fuel gauge is accurate or not, as I don't get to ride my bike much. However, the DTE swings around too much for a bike born from the collaboration of two serious bike manufacturers.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 19:46   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
However, the DTE swings around too much for a bike born from the collaboration of two serious bike manufacturers.
This is the main point. They're not some namesake Chinese manufacturer to screw up small things like these. Ditto for vibrations/refinement.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:48   #1656

The rate of loss of oil performance is a direct correlation to the tolerances in design/manufacturing of the engine, mainly the valves and piston ring/bore tolerances, as well as sophistication in material engineering. If these are of high order, it is definitely possible to maintain very high running periods for oil without losing significant performance in the form of heat or NVH.

Absolutely correct. Internal engine component design plays a significant role in the oil consumption. There is a very healthy validation conducted before rolling out the directives for oil change. If we are changing it too frequently, it wont serve any additional purpose, we might end up wasting good money and oil. I too was in same dilemma when I serviced my car for the first time at 1000kms, but didn't change the oil and trusted the company's guideline. Ideally in the first 1000 kms, the maximum debris should have fallen off. But again, some validation from company might have proven that engine components are machined and designed at such a good level that we have acceptable wear and tear with good quality of oil maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How to get the oil health checked? Is there an equipment at the triumph service center that takes in a sample of oil and returns the result as the condition of the oil?

It is not possible to judge the condition of the oil just by looking at the color of the oil and rubbing it between fingers.
Ideally I have seen people do that, but as per my experience, that would be a mistake. Oil does change the color quickly (within first 40-50 hrs, at least for high power diesel engines). Cant say same for bikes.

We do have third party labs in cities that gives the detailed oil report (need to give samples), but it would be overkill.

Last edited by TORQUEINDUCTION : 12th February 2024 at 22:53.
TORQUEINDUCTION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 07:29   #1657
BANNED

Took my 2012 Access 125 for an oil and filter change, at my FNG, after 3000kms since last change.

The oil was "scientifically" tested and he said it didn't need changing. Asked him to change both anyway. He tested the oil by removing the dip stick and rubbing the oil between thumb and forefinger :

I don't use them any more and do all repairs and servicing myself.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th February 2024 at 17:05. Reason: Minor spacing edit.
Old 13th February 2024, 10:11   #1658
BHPian

Does anyone know how to adjust clock on S400 ?
Old 13th February 2024, 10:36   #1659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEINDUCTION View Post
Ideally I have seen people do that, but as per my experience, that would be a mistake. Oil does change the color quickly (within first 40-50 hrs, at least for high power diesel engines). Cant say same for bikes.

We do have third party labs in cities that gives the detailed oil report (need to give samples), but it would be overkill.
I believe if Triumph has given the interval of 16k kms as oil change interval, they would have done the used oil analysis before coming to this number. We need not have to worry about doing the tests again.

Even I consider 16k as too long. I would give some margin of error considering our harsh riding conditions and reduce the oil change interval to 10k kms.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2024 at 03:04.
Old 13th February 2024, 11:11   #1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I believe if triumph has given the interval of 16k kms as oil change interval, they would have done the used oil analysis before coming to this number. We need not have to worry about doing the tests again.
Yes, Triumph must have certainly done the validations. We dont have to do it again. Instead of 10k, even 12k would be a good interval to get oil changed. It is still way before 16k as suggested.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2024 at 12:16. Reason: Quote tags
Old 13th February 2024, 12:07   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityRyder View Post
Videos on YouTube are available for the same.

Last edited by Senotrius : 13th February 2024 at 12:23.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:23   #1662
BHPian

We can leave the oil change interval to personal experience I guess. Ditto for oil brands. Companies would have done due diligence in their research I'm sure. Cost of ownership is also one thing they would have factored while choosing the long interval. However I'm not of the opinion that the manufacturer ALWAYS knows and designs the best due to cost factors. The SAME company designed the pathetic LED headlight, faulty fuel gauge/DTE and vibey engine after years of testing. Just saying. I would love to know the opinion of admins/ super senior TBHP'ians on this for our Indian conditions. It's possible to not change the HP oil till 16000kms I'm sure. An informed decision can be taken on this matter.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:53   #1663
BHPian

I know the discussion is on ‘whether’ we should change oil under 16k, however 16k for many of us would be impractical to reach every year. Bulk of us have spent 3lakhs on weekend rides or short commuter rides on daily basis and unlikely will target that mileage.
My personal target is 7k for 2nd service
CityRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 17:44   #1664
BHPian

The owner's manual specifies that the engine oil should be replaced over every 16,000 km or one year, whichever is earlier.

For most owner's, this means an annual service with oil and filter change in addition to other maintenance jobs. I think there's no room for debate. In any case, not sticking to the recommended maintenance would void the warranty.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 19:53   #1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityRyder View Post
Instructions are there in the user manual via the app. Can be a bit confusing the first few times as you are not sure whether the system is responding to your input.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks