Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 11:16   #1561
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. But it's been 700+ km and almost 2 months since my service, could this still happen after all this time?
Yes it can happen out of nowhere depending on temperature and total coolant level (reservoir+radiator+engine coolant pathways)

The coolant expands on heating and creates a pressure. So it is possible that in these 700 kms after the assumed top up in the first service, the level overall was increased to max capacity and then in moderate traffic, due to heating, it expanded and leaks a little. (Mumbai Pune trip means long highway ride where air was naturally keeping the engine/coolant temp in check where as 20 mins of moderate traffic will result in higher temp compared to 120 mins of 70-90 kmph riding)

Again - all this is with the assumption that it is 100% coming from coolant overflow pipe only and not anywhere else.

Don't worry about it. Keep motorcycle upright and check the reservoir as suggested in above post. For peace of mind, best to take it to service center to get it reduced if it isn't too far from your place.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:30   #1562
BHPian

I had done about 980 kms when the bike was given for first servicing. After service, came back home which is about 120 kms. On the way back, felt buzz at about 4k RPM and higher. Before servicing there was no vibration till 6k RPM. Will it go away soon or I need to visit service centre again?
Old 29th December 2023, 15:17   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post

Don't worry about it. Keep motorcycle upright and check the reservoir as suggested in above post. For peace of mind, best to take it to service center to get it reduced if it isn't too far from your place.
The level was between high and low. When I called the service centre to take an appointment, they asked me to come for the S400 "service camp", which another rider has mentioned above. It's for the ECU update and console issues which are causing errors in the DTE meter and fuel gauge. I just rode there for around 15 km in this scorching heat and surprisingly no coolant issue. But I've asked them to check it nevertheless while they perform the updates.
I'm a little surprised that they haven't called all owners proactively and are only informing us once we get our bikes here for other issues or for routine service.
spectre13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 10:23   #1564
BHPian

Is there any reliable vin decoder for the speed 400. Recently booked one and want to make sure I get a 2024 manufactured bike. Any pointers to a tool or position of the manufacturer year marker would be helpful.

Existing owners please do check if this link gives the manufacturing date: https://www.triumphmotorcycles.in/owners/recalls

Thanks

Last edited by kedar3223 : 30th December 2023 at 10:32.
Old 30th December 2023, 18:15   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
The stalling issue occurs when the engine is near idling speeds when the clutch is pulled in, such as when you are going over speed bumps or filtering through traffic at signals. A recent ECU update tries to avoid this by revving the engine when it detects uneven strokes, which are when the engine might be stalling.

However, this doesn't work always and if the revs don't go up in time, the engine stalls suddenly.
I've done about 1400kms on my Speed400. This stalling issue started post about 500kms. After the first service it has become more frequent. It seems the ECU is tuned too lean in the intrest of FE. As someone said here, a fuel x pro should be able to help. Meanwhile, this random stalling issue is not only irritating but also dangerous. Hope Triumph is listening and doing something about it.
Old 30th December 2023, 19:29   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
I've done about 1400kms on my Speed400. This stalling issue started post about 500kms. After the first service it has become more frequent. It seems the ECU is tuned too lean in the intrest of FE. As someone said here, a fuel x pro should be able to help. Meanwhile, this random stalling issue is not only irritating but also dangerous. Hope Triumph is listening and doing something about it.
I took a test ride of a scrambler 400 today, and hit the stalling issue in just 2Km of the ride. It was while crossing a speed breaker, clutch was pulled and engine was spinning freely.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 19:46   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Is there any reliable vin decoder for the speed 400. Recently booked one and want to make sure I get a 2024 manufactured bike. Any pointers to a tool or position of the manufacturer year marker would be helpful.
If you want a 2024 manufactured bike, ensure that the 10th digit of the VIN reads "R" instead of "P". P is 2023 model year and R is 2024.

I have also booked one in Chennai and even though they quoted 10-15 days, I saw a lot of bikes in stock. If in case you are getting your bike in the first 2-3 weeks of Jan, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 2023 manufactured vehicle.
katchkamalesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 19:58   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
If you want a 2024 manufactured bike, ensure that the 10th digit of the VIN reads "R" instead of "P". P is 2023 model year and R is 2024.

I have also booked one in Chennai and even though they quoted 10-15 days, I saw a lot of bikes in stock. If in case you are getting your bike in the first 2-3 weeks of Jan, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 2023 manufactured vehicle.
Thanks. Will make sure I get a 2024 manufactured bike. I'll be taking delivery towards the end of Jan/start of Feb. So hopefully it'll be new inventory by then.

Heard the newer bikes will have revised rubber mountings for the footpegs to reduce vibrations. Hopefully the little niggles like bike shutting off are also taken care off.
Old 30th December 2023, 22:42   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Heard the newer bikes will have revised rubber mountings for the footpegs to reduce vibrations.
This is news to me! Where did you get this information?
sk_cheek13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 00:16   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My rides have reduced in the past 2 months due to various reasons but about an hour back, I also experienced the stalling issue.

I was going down a slight slope towards my U-turn with the clutch pulled in and engine at idle. That's when it happened. I hit the starter immediately and it started back up without a hitch so no harm done.

It seems to be something that can be fixed in software. Hope Triumph is able to figure it out soon.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 06:47   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Meanwhile, this random stalling issue is not only irritating but also dangerous. Hope Triumph is listening and doing something about it.
I don't think Triumph is much bothered right now, because the general attitude of the service centers is skepticism. Triumph has been serious towards the same issue in the case of the Tiger 600.

Riya Triumph Ahmedabad had asked affected riders to go on half hour rides with their mechanics to replicate the problem, but I guess most riders don't have the time for such recreational efforts. I have been unable to ride my bike for a month now due to health and other issues. I would have hoped that Triumph would take riders on their word and fix this problem.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 08:39   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
My rides have reduced in the past 2 months due to various reasons but about an hour back, I also experienced the stalling issue.

I was going down a slight slope towards my U-turn with the clutch pulled in and engine at idle. That's when it happened. I hit the starter immediately and it started back up without a hitch so no harm done.
a) I have faced such issues earlier with HH Street bike (10 years back) but then quality of petrol was found to be the root cause (water and greasy suspensions). All petrol was drained and problem was resolved.

b) With Speed 400, I faced stalling issue only when I was not in correct gear as I tried to check if higher gear could be sustained for lower speed (e.g. 3rd gear at less than 20Kmph while going over speed-breakers).

(Bikes are less forgiving than cars as due to multiple cylinders in cars, torque is available at all moments (although it may be low or high depending on RPM). But in single cylinder bikes, at low RPM, there is wide time-band of torque unavailability leading to stalling).
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:38   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_cheek13 View Post
This is news to me! Where did you get this information?
Heard this from a service centre guy. I was a bit sceptical but Powerdrift mentioned the same in their speed 400 vs duke 390 comparo.
Old 31st December 2023, 11:16   #1574
BHPian

Even I had received the same message and had sent the pictures, also asked the same question as to why this wasn't done when the bike was at the showrorom before delivery and there was no answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant View Post
I have received the below whatsapp message from Keerthi Triumph on 05 December 2023 but I ignored the message as I was busy with my work.
Old 31st December 2023, 11:22   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

It seems to be something that can be fixed in software. Hope Triumph is able to figure it out soon.
When I visited BUB Triumph Chinchwad on 29 Dec, they informed me that the current service camp was initiated for 3 things: ECU update (new version released around 45 days ago), console issues (DTE and fuel gauge error), and some parts inspection for "warranty issues". The camp started on 18 Dec and they said they are making calls to all initial S400 owners nation-wide to call them for this camp. They are also making these updates for all walk-ins and routine first/second service visitors.
So in case you haven't serviced your bike after 18 Dec, please do call your local service center and ask about this camp. Hopefully the current ECU update should sort this issue.
spectre13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks