Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:14   #121
BHPian

Re: Price hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Is it mentioned in their website, that the booking amount is fully refundable?

I didn't find the same even in their T & C.

Still not sure of the Bike, unless you take a test ride. Also, the variants are confusing if it's worth going for the top end.
This is what I received on WhatsApp!

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_4371.png
Selective is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
It’s mentioned on the official website. It is also clearly highlighted once you’re making the online payment.
Abh1nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 09:38   #123
BHPian

Quote:

Still not sure of the Bike, unless you take a test ride. Also, the variants are confusing if it's worth going for the top end.
As per what i am hearing the maximum bookings they have got is for the Top S variant. So let's wait and watch what would be the delivery timelines for different models. HD showroom in Bangalore have committed a delivery timeline of first week of December to me.
Old 5th August 2023, 10:50   #124
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Bajaj and Triumph did the same for Speed 400 where price was increased by 10k after they crossed 10000 units.
There is a big difference in the approach though. Triumph said that they will give a discount of 10k to the first 10k customers who book. Here we know how many people will get the discount and it is not an arbitrary date where suddenly you find out the bike is more expensive. You can actively prepare and book the bike to get into the first 10k (which happened within 2 days of launch). If you didnt do it, you were aware and it was not a hoodwink.

HD pulled a fast one by not saying anything for weeks and suddenly raising prices by giving people 2 days to book. The end result may look similar (10k price difference) but there is a lot to be said about optics, strategy and just customer awareness.

Also, note that the price of the Speed 400, even if you dont get a discount, is less than the base variant of the X440. This doesnt help HD from a sales perspective.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th August 2023 at 12:22. Reason: Minor typo
lazyrev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 11:11   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
There is a big difference in the approach though. Triumph said that they will give a discount of 10k to the first 10k customers who book. Here we know how many people will get the discount and it is not an arbitrary date where suddenly you find out the bike is more expensive. You can actively prepare and book the bike to get into the first 10k (which happened within 2 days of launch). If you didnt do it, you were aware and it was not a hoodwink.

HD pulled a fast one by not saying anything for weeks and suddenly raising prices by giving people 2 days to book. The end result may look similar (10k price difference) but there is a lot to be said about optics, strategy and just customer awareness.
Depends on perspective. Other side of it:
HD gave chance to ALL for booking at lower price with a week's notice, also clarifying that TDs will start in September and deliveries in December. It is only fair to take as much booking as one can deliver in few month's time.

Triumph, on the other hand, created anxiety among customers by limiting the number to 10000 for booking at discounted price. They also raised booking amount to 10000 without any notice.
They are taking booking for Scrambler 400 without any indication of price and delivery schedule.
ajay0612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 11:51   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Appreciate surjaonwheelz for taking these photographs. Being the guy I am, lo and behold was able to already detect why this isn't a proper HD and why this isn't the lucky charm for Hero-Haa-ley
I have been noticing the obvious lack of fit and finish that is expected from a premium motorcycle in 2023, after looking at the launch photos. The close up shots are downright disappointing I have seen better finished smaller bikes from their own stable. Even the initial Jawa display bikes didn't look this bad in the showrooms iirc

Last edited by b16h22 : 5th August 2023 at 11:55.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 21:09   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
HD pulled a fast one by not saying anything for weeks and suddenly raising prices by giving people 2 days to book.
Pulled a fast one on who? Someone living under a rock maybe? Given that they HAVE been saying something for weeks in all forms of social media and even huge newspaper ads - that buy the x440 at these introductory prices. Said repeatedly for a WHOLE month, which is 15 times the time Triumph had it's introductory prices open, with FOMO kicking in the instant they announced prices only to shut the window within 2 days, understandably for the quality of motorcycle on offer.

In my opinion Hero-Harley has been damn civil about easing in the new prices, informing in advance and giving a 48 hour window after an entire month of holding launch prices open. My Carens that I booked on launch date didn't have the decency to price lock their launch prices for my trusting the brand on day 1 of booking opening, and I ended up paying their third hike pricing for when finally the waiting period ended!

It's an opportunistic market out there, across commodities, and I'd just be grateful for a 30 day window from anyone on their launch price. Especially for motorcycles, if it doesn't tug your heartstrings enough in that much time for you to lock in a refundable 5k, it's probably not right for you!
AnAntinspired is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 21:31   #128
BHPian

Quote:

It is clearly mentioned while I booking it online. I opted vivid variant as I like the red color model.

S variant has the below unique features from the other 2 variants:
  1. Matte black color
  2. 3D tank medallion
  3. Diamond cut alloys
  4. Bronze finish on engine case
  5. Connect 2.0 features like below
  • Turn-by-turn navigation
  • Music control options
  • Phone call alerts to accept or reject the calls
  • Message notification
  • DTE reading
  • Find my vehicle
  • Phone battery status
Check out this link from 22:45 to 23:45 for all S unique features.

Last edited by ManneAtWheelz : 5th August 2023 at 21:42. Reason: More information
Old 6th August 2023, 00:17   #129
BHPian

I booked it. I booked the X440!! I dont know how. I dont know why. But I booked it.

So this whole saga started because my office laptop started acting up on Friday night. IT said come over on Saturday and we will replace it.

I went over on Saturday and right beneath my office building, the Harley Davidson service station was wheeling in a few bikes to service. No X440s there for obvious reasons. While IT was readying my laptop, I started going through the X440 videos on my phone on Youtube and thought the dealership 5 kilometer away is worth a visit to try and look at this build quality which people seem to have a love-hate relationship with.

Laptop ready, I drove over to the HD dealership and as I walk in, a 3 year kid is cutting a cake with daddy and mommy clapping their hands. I thought in my head, wow - deliveries seem to have started already for VIP customers but alas! It was a Fat Bob delivery. Not wanting to ruin their moment, I waited in the shadows next to a gigantic Pan America. Finally, the cake cutting was over and a sales executive walked over to me. I asked him for the X440 and he walked me over to it where it stood not occupying prime real estate next to a Street 750. A sign of things to come I thought.

However, the sales executive was quite helpful. He took me through the specs of the motorcycle and allowed me to start it. This is where I lost my heart. Oh God - the video reviews dont do the sound justice. Such a deep bassy bbbrrroooom at idle - it was nothing like I had heard. The closest I can think of is a Triumph 900 Bonnie but this was a bit louder at idle and a little less refined (Harley character). Almost no mechanical clatter but just a smooth deep bassy "bbbrrrroooommmm" More Triumph like than Harley but I loved it. The exhaust sounded like what would happen if the Triumph 900 Bonnie had a kid with an RE Interceptor.

I am someone who loves my motorcycles to have character / flaws / weird idiosyncrasies. The Duke 390 is a mental machine (a compliment) with a very finite way of riding it while my Himalayan is a mental machine (not a compliment) which decides how to behave on a particular day depending on where its stars are aligned. I have a love hate relationship with this character but it keeps me interested. Does not let me be bored with the motorcycle. Compare that to a Honda CB350 or a CBR 250 (I haven't ridden any other Hondas), they felt mechanically perfect with precision parts but it lacked that distinct feeling of a machine which was individual and distinct with its own temperament.

Back to the HD it is - the fit and finish was acceptable on almost all parameters with the exception of the throttle. I found the welds to be alright (my KTM has ugly welds and so does the Himalayan) so I would say my standards are quite low. The engine casing looked good. The fuel tank was amazing - reminded me of the original RE Thunderbird. The throttle however - if I gave the motorcycle throttle, the switch module holding the start switch and the horn would also move downwards. LOL. Funny. Guess - the switch module would have to be tightened. Apart from that - I didn’t dislike anything in the build of the motorcycle.

I also poked around the instrument cluster. Didnt see how to toggle the volume of songs and change music tracks [something which I can do on both the KTM and the Himalayan (aftermarket accessory)]. The attributes of changing music tracks on long rides is a deal breaker for me. The X440 apparently has it although I couldnt find it. With reference to touring, with a sloping rear and an open grab rail - I would need to add an aftermarket closed grab rail or panniers to hook the bungee cords onto something for luggage reinforcement.

A Duke 390 for long tours between major cities and a Himalayan for long tours for everything else - why would I need another motorcycle. However the HD gave me a feeling of easy cruising (sorry Meteor) which the other two didnt give me. The KTM has to be kept on the boil the whole time, the Himalayan is Slow AF. The HD would fill the gap. At this time, my heart was looking for excuses and my brain was saying No.

I had almost walked out of the door when the sales executive said, why don't you book it as I will give you the introductory price. This price will be gone in the next 24 to 48 hours. If you dont like it, we will refund you the 5000 rupees. Didnt seem like a bad deal to me at all so I ended up booking it.

I dont know how
I dont know why.
I haven't told anyone at home. They wanted me to get rid of 1 motorcycle. I ended up adding another one.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th August 2023 at 09:00. Reason: Clean up edits. Please capitalise text where needed (i —>I for instance). Thank you.
rahul4321 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 07:30   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

However, the sales executive was quite helpful. He took me through the specs of the motorcycle and allowed me to start it. This is where i lost my heart. Oh God- the video reviews dont do the sound justice. Such a deep bassy bbbrrroooom at idle- it was nothing like i had heard. The closest i can think of is a Triumph 900 Bonnie but this was a bit louder at idle and a little less refined (Harley Character). Almost no mechanical clatter but just a smooth deep bassy "bbbrrrroooommmm" More Triumph like than Harley but i loved it. The exhaust sounded like what would happen if the Triumph 900 Bonnie had a kid with an RE Interceptor.
Bang on. The importance of sound cannot be underestimated. It is what will resonate in rider's mind all along the journey. X440's sound is like a gentle but full rhythmic drumbeat, a music to ears. No need of song change button .
ajay0612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 13:21   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I booked it. I booked the X440!! I dont know how. I dont know why

I haven't told anyone at home. They wanted me to get rid of 1 motorcycle. I ended up adding another one.
Let's see if you convert it. I have two bookings: 1 with RE and another with Triumph. They have also assured me it can be extended for life

Mostly a choice between courage to break the chains and the practicality of purchase... but rarely the same

Regards
Bharath
Old 6th August 2023, 15:34   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I booked it. I booked the X440!! I dont know how. I dont know why. But I booked it.
That’s a fantastic post! Refreshing to read about a bike being booked in such fashion amidst the posts on discounts and insurance pricing.
Darkcloud is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 18:12   #133

The HD dealer here in Kolkata has promised delivery before the 'Pujas', which is on or before Oct 20. Can anyone in the know comment?
chefvikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 10:08   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Back to the HD it is - the fit and finish was acceptable on almost all parameters with the exception of the throttle.
As I've read here on the same thread, most of these display bikes are pre-production bikes. Expect the actual retail pieces to come with a much "cleaner" finish as they will be mass produced.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th August 2023 at 11:08. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 8th August 2023, 10:26   #135
BHPian

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...-lakh/3203245/

25500 bookings. I doubt anyone saw this coming!
They have now closed bookings for the X440.

Kudos Hero and Harley!
inline4 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks