Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 08:49   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfool_Wheeler View Post
Congratulations Rajeev! I too am torn between the Scrambler 400 and the KTM ADVs.

Just wanted to know a few things -
  1. For your height was the X440 a bit short ?
  2. Which version of the 390 ADv did you go with ?
  3. Is the 390 ADV manageable in Bangalore traffic ?
  4. did you face any heating issue on your TD ?
I too had never given KTM a second thought because of the "Dukes" on our roads
Thanks. My comments below
  1. Seat Height: Not at all. The Harley X440 was also perfect. The Triumph 400 I felt was a little low, but that was also not an issue. In general, I don't think the lower seat height should be a deal breaker for most bikes unless you are really tall(6 Feet +). A higher seat height-Yes, can be a deal breaker for someone on the shorter side.
  2. Have detailed it in this post in the KTM ADV thread. Link (The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!).
  3. In spite of being a large bike, the ADV is light and slim. So I did not find handling it an issue at all.
  4. While I did not encounter heavy traffic, have read several long term reviews and posts and I don't think heating is an issue with the KTM ADV.

I read your post in the Triumph 400 thread, where you have mentioned that you are new to biking and this will be your first bike. With that background, I would recommend the Triumph 400 or the Scrambler 400. The KTM ADV in my view is not an ideal first bike. Even the Harley X440 in my view is fairly large and heavy to be a comfortable first bike for a person new to bikes. That is where Triumph and Bajaj have really really nailed it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 12:18   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I didn’t receive any communication (email or phone call) yet, but this is applicable to me as well, as I have booked the bike on 3rd August’23. Even if there are cancellations and increase in production capacity, I wouldn’t expect the delivery before end of January’24.

Till then the new owners can keep us calm by sharing your experience regularly
I take this delay in a more positive way, if and all teething issues any will be sorted out (I'm stupid with an Indian mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akanad16 View Post
I believe the delivery timelines depends on the variant as well. Somewhere I had read that 65% of the 25000 + bookings are for the top model. Hence it seems the delay in the delivery. I had booked Vivid Red color on 29 July at Tusker Harley in Bengaluru and got a call from them on Saturday saying they are allocating me a bike and this week I can visit and start the formalities.
Consider yourself lucky, I too booked the Vivid Red variant but on 3rd of August and I got a delivery promise in 1st week of March'24
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 23:34   #288
BHPian

Received a call from HD support today. The person called me to inform that the dealer i had booked with (Sai Motors) was not operational and my booking has been transferred to Bimal, Bellary road. He said the dealer will contact me during first week of Nov for the same. I asked if i can change the dealer to Tasker Harley but he said that can't be done. He confirmed that i will get 2024 manufactured vehicle but i will have to verify this once the bike is allocated to me. BTW, does anyone know how to check the VIN of this bike?
Old 29th October 2023, 17:16   #289

Owner manual for HD x440 is available on hero's site https://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/s...er-manual.html
Page 15 has info on VIN number location.
tkwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:18   #290
BHPian

R T Krishna Autos, Bangalore is opening a new Premia showroom tomorrow. They will be delivering the first set of bikes from this dealership, as part of the event. My delivery is also scheduled in the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20231102-10.47.29-am.jpeg  

gearless is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:47   #291

Saved Rs. 23,000 on Vivid Variant in Bangalore. Check final on road price in the video.
Old 4th November 2023, 19:36   #292
BHPian

And I'm out!

Patience isn't my strongest suit, so I don't recall having ever waited for anything as long as the X440. Having waited from opening hour of its announcement, and locking in the booking amount on July 4th for what would be my 35th motorcycle (unless I'm forgetting a few more from age) I was the 3rd booking from Bangalore as per the showrooms. Yet, since deliveries commenced from October 15th, iv been continuously requested to pick up a higher variant than I signed up for - "Vivid or top-end take today wonly Saar" the salesman would wail. When I asked about my spoke wheeled Yellow Denim, the call would disconnect rapidly amidst mumbled excuses. From what I decipher - that variant isn't even mounted up on the assembly line yet, or delivered anywhere...typical upselling tactic that focuses on the higher profit margin models...I'd faced this with my Kia Carens booking as well at the time of that launch.

So then started my search for an alternative, what with the weather and holidays aligning rapidly in festival packed October/November. However, having owned almost every other single cylinder motorcycle in the past (or atleast the best amongst the choices within each brand) I was hard- pressed for choice.

That's when I grudgingly went over to a newly opened, less-maligned-than-Keerthi Triumph Bangalore outlet, the Khivraj triumph on Electronic City road. The staff attitude and sparkling showroom bowled me over, a stark contrast to the government office-like Royal Enfield showroom I paused at briefly to look at the horrendously heavy, ergonomically assaulting 650 triplets.Sigh. Anyway, at the Triumph showrooms, it took little scanning around to realise that the Bajaj made 400's were the chaat counter and the gourmet meal that tugged heartstrings was the real deal - the CKD/CBU Bonnevilles and other premium models.

I was in a fix, and retired in a dilemma that day. This was a week ago...
Today, I ride a Triumph Bonneville 900 aka Street Twin! A superbly selected pre-loved piece offered by a friend Farhan, famously known pan-India as the last bastion of Mahindra Mojo and his new venture of pre owned superbikes NAFS motors. This is a seperate story, il put out shortly - for the quality of experience, selection and expertise of Farhan and his enterprise, I have rarely come across in over 30 years of my impatient & excessive purchase of cars and motorcycles.

What is relevant to THIS thread though is therefore this - my X440 journey ends. With it goes my early bird discount, my waiting-at-the-showroom motorcycle and my chance to join an enthusiastic bunch, mostly half my age, who are looking quite the HERO on their HARLEY. May your journeys be sensational yet safe!
AnAntinspired is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 20:00   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearless View Post
R T Krishna Autos, Bangalore is opening a new Premia showroom tomorrow. They will be delivering the first set of bikes from this dealership, as part of the event. My delivery is also scheduled in the event.
Hope you got your delivery as planned yesterday. I was in the area today and went to enquire about cancellation. Apparently for cancellation you need to write to the id called out in the booking confirmation email. I had not seen that.

This showroom is right next to the upcoming Singasandra Metro Station. Location Link: . They have a test ride bike now.

Took a few pics and put the update in the Hero Premia Thread (Hero Premia Dealership Launched – One Showroom For Karizma, Vida, Harley X440)
Old 6th November 2023, 09:31   #294
BHPian

For folks who are cancelling their bookings - Have you received any confirmation or refund. No one replies on the mail and the dealer is clueless :(
Old 6th November 2023, 12:00   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hope you got your delivery as planned yesterday.
Yes. The showroom opening event was organized well. They wrapped up the opening ceremony and delivery of 20 bikes in an hour.

The bike is without any accessories right now. Even center stand and crash guard are yet to be fitted. Will get this done when I go to get the number plate fixed. They have 3 accessories right now: Center stand, Crash guard and Bash plate which costs close to 2.7k.

Have not been able to take the bike out much due to rains over the weekend. Will post the experience soon after I take it out for some rides.
gearless is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:58   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
And I'm out!

Patience isn't my strongest suit, so I don't recall having ever waited for anything as long as the X440. Having waited from opening hour of its announcement, and locking in the booking amount on July 4th for what would be my 35th motorcycle (unless I'm forgetting a few more from age) I was the 3rd booking from Bangalore as per the showrooms. Yet, since deliveries commenced from October 15th, iv been continuously requested to pick up a higher variant than I signed up for - "Vivid or top-end take today wonly Saar" the salesman would wail. When I asked about my spoke wheeled Yellow Denim, the call would disconnect rapidly amidst mumbled excuses. From what I decipher - that variant isn't even mounted up on the assembly line yet, or delivered anywhere...typical upselling tactic that focuses on the higher profit margin models...I'd faced this with my Kia Carens booking as well at the time of that launch.
I too have been sailing in the same boat. Have booked the Denim variant but so far the official response from the Company is that they will get back to me after several email reminders. However as per my interaction with the Dealer he is ready to offer me immediate delivery of Vivid or S Variant, as per his internal discussion with Company official the Company has received appx 600 unit booking for Denim Variant so they have no target now to deliver these bikes, as of now the production is only happening of high end variants. I understand that all companies try to maximise the returns but atleast an official word from the Company pertaining to the delivery schedule for Denim Variant will help the customer to decide the way forward.
Old 6th November 2023, 18:08   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhupesh View Post
For folks who are cancelling their bookings - Have you received any confirmation or refund. No one replies on the mail and the dealer is clueless :(
Though my reason to cancel is due to current non-manufacture of my desired variant + re-discovering the lucre of higher cc twin cylinder joys, I must mention that the responsiveness from Harley customer service, especially their toll free attendants, has been fault free!

It just took me one call for the helpful attendee to guide me on where to mail, and on doing so, stayed on line to confirm recieving the cancellation and assured me of a mail response within 24 hours as well. Sure enough, within 3 hours from then I have recieved this mail and have been promised refund within 15 working days, which the prompt acknowledgements make me believe.

Essentially all I did was to mail their rideindia id and follow it up with a call to their customer care! Those cancelling may try the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-screenshot_20231106_175859_gmail01.jpeg  

AnAntinspired is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:08   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhupesh View Post
See my earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMagpie View Post
You'll need to send an email for requesting cancellation to HD - Ride India <rideindia@harley-davidson.com> from your Email ID that you used at the time of booking. Perhaps better you may forward the booking email you had received, since that contains all details such as order number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
...have been promised refund within 15 working days, which the prompt acknowledgements make me believe.
My refund was processed and credited back to the source in about a couple of weeks (sent the cancellation email on 3rd Oct, received refund on 19th Oct). However, I guess there would a lot higher volumes of cancellations now, so perhaps expect slightly more than 15 days.
CuriousMagpie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:38   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMagpie View Post
My refund was processed and credited back to the source in about a couple of weeks.

That's very good. I am still waiting for my refund from Honda H'ness booking for more than 45 days. For Triumph Speed booking, there is no response itself.

Being used to the quick refunds of e-commerce, I fell into this trap of booking these bikes without much seriousness, just because they claimed fully refundable booking fee.
Old 10th November 2023, 20:02   #300
BHPian

Harley-Davidson X440 First service & 25days review

Yay! Just finished the 800km or 1 month servicing requirement and booked a service appointment via the HD Connect app. I will try to share my experience for the last 25 days and how it went at the service center. Starting off with the delivery experience.

The bike was delivered on 15th October, 2023 without an invoice or RTO receipt. Was handed the insurance document, a HD goodie bag with chocolates, and that was it. I checked for the owner's manual and was informed a hard copy would not be shared and needed to be accessed via the HD Connect app. I connected the bike using the QR code on the bike, ran a quick diagnostic, and everything seemed to be okay. I left for the ride home in Bangalore traffic . Pics from that day have already been uploaded.

Now the next 11 days: The RTO work was completed on the 18th, and I received a message with the registration number. The number plate is only available by the 27th of the month, so I could not enjoy riding my bike as much as I would have liked to. I did not want to risk being caught by the cops for not having a temporary number. I also checked on getting the bike details added to the insurance papers and am told the insurance document will not have a bike registration number the first year since insurance is done prior to registration. Also, the bike details don't show up in parivahan portal and I am informed it takes a month for the details to be available. Can someone here confirm if this information regarding insurance and parivahan are true?

The next 12 days till servicing: I have ridden the bike in rain and in sunshine. The bike always felt very planted, and not once did I doubt if it will be able to make the turn or if I should think twice before accelerating. I kept the bike to less than 4,000 rpm at all times and would have rarely crossed 3,500 rpm since that is the recommendation by Harley in the run-in period. A couple of positives and negatives based on these 12 days-

Positives:
1. The engine is refined and sounds very smooth. It's way better than my KTM.
2. I've not ridden it past 80kmph and that number comes up pretty fast even if you have a pillion rider! In fact, the pillion rider needs to be careful not to fall off the bike.
3. The exhaust note— I've fallen in love with it. The sound you hear when you try to accelerate is the best I've heard. Somehow, it sounds even better if you are wearing a helmet. You have to ride it to understand how it sounds. No video on YouTube does justice to the actual sound.
4. The accessories and servicing do not cost an arm or a leg. I have shared details of my first servicing and accessory costs below.
5. Looks are subjective, but I have always found people noticing the bike. In fact, I've also had people walk over to me at restaurants or other places to talk about the bike.

Negatives
1. The front suspension is stiff! It's stiffer compared to a KTM.
2. The tank is huge, so my kid's legs don't reach the crash guard.
3. All accessories are still not available.

Now, my experience getting the bike serviced:

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-808km.jpg I completed 808 Km by the time I reached Tusker Harley Bangalore.

I informed the servicing team about the front shock absorbers, and they confirmed they are setup stiffer than a KTM. They let me know three accessories are readily available: Engine guard at Rs. 880, engine bash plate at Rs. 450 and center stand at around Rs. 1200. I chose to get the engine guard and engine bash plate. Total cost with fitting charges comes to Rs. 1,730.

They changed the filter, washers, and 2.8 liters of oil. The total comes to Rs. 2,820. I found it to be very reasonable. So, the first servicing cost is below Rs. 3,000, and the next service is only within a year. It seems to be more economical than my half-yearly KTM service . I had a long chat with the sales and servicing teams at Tusker Harley, and everyone is very polite, professional, and knowledgeable. Harley is waiting for more bikes to hit the road before they start planning for rides and events. By the way, Denim variant will take a couple of months before production starts since there are very few bookings for it.

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-servicing.jpg
All done- waiting to be washed

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-first-service.jpg
A copy of the final bill
HDx440Life is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks