Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ronin has similar elements like round headlamps and golden forks - just very wrong proportions IMHO. And that ruins everything!
+100 to this. It's such a tragedy that the Ronin stands the way it does, because otherwise it is perfect. Enough power for the city, comfortable seating ergos, ride quality, neo-retro looks, enough features to keep you interested over the REs. Every time I look at one it makes me just a bit queasy, otherwise it is the ideal city bike.

Wondering if I can let my bias take a backseat and try out the bike as a function over form exercise. A tail-tidy should help matters, along with getting rid of that awful chain cover.

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 29th June 2023 at 11:52.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 12:01   #47
BHPian

This is what you call an evocative design! I am so happy that Triumph has designed both the 400s in line with their bigger Street/Speed Twin and Scrambler cousins . Would they bring a Bonneville T50 as well?
The fit and finish also looks excellent. The Scrambler looks ably differentiated (from the Speed 400) not only in looks but in function too!
The engine also looks like one of a kind in <500 cc segment. When you read the compression ratio > 12 and the relatively high power and torque figures (for the CC) you think it’s going to be a high revving bike, but guess what the power peaks at 8k RPMs only. So we can expect a flat torque delivery (can be seen in Motobob’s torque chart) with a good spread across the revvs, something that suits a bike of this kind. 40 ps of power should ensure decent top end too!

The only deciding factor might be the price at which they get launched. If the Speed 400 is launched around 2.9 ex I think it’s going to be a good hit. We can expect a price of bump in the line of 25-35k for the Scrambler, over the Speed.

Yes, on 2nd July the Harley Davidson - Hero bike is also getting unveiled and the pricing would also be revealed on 4th July, so Triumph and Bajaj will still have a day to further decide on the pricing! Coming to the Harley bike in itself, it might also be churning out around 40 bhp but just from the looks perspective, the Triumph Bajaj bikes are light years ahead.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited by Waspune : 29th June 2023 at 12:24.
Waspune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 13:01   #48
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
+100 to this. It's such a tragedy that the Ronin stands the way it does, because otherwise it is perfect. Enough power for the city, comfortable seating ergos, ride quality, neo-retro looks, enough features to keep you interested over the REs. Every time I look at one it makes me just a bit queasy, otherwise it is the ideal city bike.

Wondering if I can let my bias take a backseat and try out the bike as a function over form exercise. A tail-tidy should help matters, along with getting rid of that awful chain cover.
Fixing the looks should be easy now for TVS. It has a decent engine, pretty good features, slipper clutch, good service backup. What TVS has to do is tweak its looks. If this job for TVS's engineers isn't difficult, then they should take up the challenge of plonking that 310 mill into it. Hope this Ronin for TVS is Bolt/Zest of Tata. Expecting this company to do more with Ronin as they haven't lost the segment. They have just began with Ronin.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:14   #49
BHPian

One of the first walk around videos
What do you think about the size of the bikes?

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:26   #50
BHPian

Excited to announce that I've booked the "baby" Street version, i.e. Street 400

Originally, I was in the market for a bigger bike (see thread (New Motorcycle Advice | Does a do-it-all bike exist?)). However, after some consideration, I decided to scale down my expectations and budget. The main reason is that after the initial enthusiasm is over, I am not sure how many actual long rides I will be able to do.

Initially, I was apprehensive about the Bajaj partnership and was expecting a somewhat "compromised" looking version. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the production version. The design is neat, clean, and proportionate, and the red color, in my opinion, looks the best. That's the one I'm going for. The Street 400 also stands out from the competition - mainly KTM Duke 390, but also Honda CB300R mainly in the looks (subjective) and performance department.

I'm still waiting for more reviews and plan to check it out personally before finalizing my decision.

Does anyone have any idea when the deliveries are expected to start? Also, has anyone else on the forum booked the Street 400 so far?
MandarMax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Looking forward to riding them next month.
Here are some of my queries and observations. Hope you get answers for some of those via media ride.
  • Luggage: With upswept exhaust, it means only single sided pannier or top box. If only one-sided pannier, how is weight distribution?
  • Chain lubing: Chain sprocket and exhaust are on same side. Paddock stand becomes a must have if center stand isn't available.
  • Exhaust angle: I can understand Triumph wanted to maintain Scrambler family look even for Speed 400. What bothers me is the angle, it could have been an inch rear axle bolt. Indians are so used to saddle bags on both sides, it could have helped if exhaust ends were lower.
  • Single bench flat seat on 400x: Is it a possibility?
  • Mandatory Saree guard for India: semi-circular or rectangular?
  • Front Number plate: Is it going to be below headlamp without hampering looks?
  • Provision of low height seat?
  • Provision for center stand?
  • What's purpose of semi-circular scoop at front of tank?
  • Ground clearance for both
  • Suspension bolting at front wheel axle is different for both, it's straight for Speed whereas at angle for 400x
  • Tank capacity: Now that even KTM models have moved 14.5 L, why not these two?
  • Test flat torque curve by not changing a gear (3rd or 4th)
  • Gear ratios of 6-speed gearbox
  • Engine obviously needs to be E20 compatible, does it exceed it?
  • Pillion seat: is it spacious and what's knee angle for average height Indian pillion?
  • Tyres: It's possible that media ride bikes may have Metzeler M9RR or Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres. What's likelihood of tyre manufacturer for deliveries in India. In other words, will these tyre models make it to general public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Excited to announce that I've booked the "baby" Street version, i.e. Street 400.
Congratulations, which colour have you booked?
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Excited to announce that I've booked the "baby" Street version, i.e. Street 400
Heartiest congratulations. Hope you stick to your decision till the final booking is confirmed.

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea when the deliveries are expected to start? Also, has anyone else on the forum booked the Street 400 so far?
Most probably Jan 2024. Unofficial news from dealers.
I might book the Scrambler 400x depending upon the specifications of Himalayan 450 after its launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Here are some of my queries and observations. Hope you get answers for some of those via media ride.
  • Luggage: With upswept exhaust, it means only single sided pannier or top box. If only one-sided pannier, how is weight distribution?
  • Chain lubing: Chain sprocket and exhaust are on same side. Paddock stand becomes a must have if center stand isn't available.
  • Exhaust angle: I can understand Triumph wanted to maintain Scrambler family look even for Speed 400. What bothers me is the angle, it could have been an inch rear axle bolt. Indians are so used to saddle bags on both sides, it could have helped if exhaust ends were lower.
  • Single bench flat seat on 400x: Is it a possibility?
  • Front Number plate: Is it going to be below headlamp without hampering looks?
  • Provision of low height seat?
  • Provision for center stand?
  • Ground clearance for both
  • Tyres: It's possible that media ride bikes may have Metzeler M9RR or Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres. What's likelihood of tyre manufacturer for deliveries in India. In other words, will these tyre models make it to general public?
Tried to answer some of your queries.
  • Luggage : there seems to be adequate space to fit stays for the saddlebags and they might even come up with hard panniers. Should not be a cause for major concern.
  • Chain Lubing : the same way we do for twin exhausts, again not a major issue.
  • Exhaust angle : agreed but it's a design element. Same problem exists with Himalayan, Xpulse etc. Have to live with it. Some saddlestays have a lower support to prevent soft luggage coming in contact with exhaust. Have to use them.
  • Flat bench seat : unlikely due to the stepped up rear and bolt on rear subframe. Flat seat possible only in Bonneville like single piece frame.
  • Front registration plate : It doesn't hamper looks whether u put it below or top. My old Bonnie had below. The newer ones have on top. Both look equally cool. One learns living with it after few days
  • Seat height : Speed 400 is already low at 790mm. For Scrambler 400X, let's wait and watch.
  • Centre stand : not a standard fitment in most high end bikes nowadays. But as an accessory or a simple paddock does the job.
  • Ground clearance: no official figures quoted but expect the Speed to have around 165mm and the Scrambler around 185-190mm
    This is based on discussion with few people who claim they have seen the test mules.
  • Tyres : Triumph's site says Speed is shod with Metzeler M9 RR while the Scrambler is shod with dual-purpose Metzeler Karoo Street. So these should make it to the production models unless stringent cost cutting is resorted to.

These are all inputs from riders who spotted the test mules number of times near Chakan. Actual facts and figures will be known only once the bike is available for media rides post launch.

Some photographs from the launch event.
Courtesy Twitter
Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-20230629_213810.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-20230629_213808.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-20230629_213806.jpg

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-20230629_213803.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th June 2023 at 00:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
aviator1101 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

This is quite a revelation. I was not active on Team bhp from long but this motorcycle bought me back into the game.
I have a Harley Fatboy 103 with me which rarely leaves my garage. I usually get double mind selling vs retaining it. So far the latter have kept me hooking.
From last few months, I was looking at another pair of wheel for my garage. I tried few to my taste like:
1. Himalayan: Good Tallboy stance which I liked for my 6+ stature. although I was waiting for the launch of Himalayan 650.
2. Super Meteor 650: I waited for a long time for this bike but it is kind of a little brother to the one I already have in garage.
3. BMW 310GS: It looked good but did not appealed much to me.

Then came this news yesterday. I was blown away as to how good the triumph 400X looks and is closest to the big brothers - street twins and scramblers. I could not hold my happiness and promptly booked 400X Khaki green.
I believe the seat height at 835 mm will be good for my stature since it is close to triumph tiger kind of riding position.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 29th June 2023 at 21:44.
ruchirtnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Really good looking bikes. What's even more interesting is a 10K km service interval which might just be a first in the segment.
FYI it's not first in the segment, RE 650s have been there with 10k service interval since day 1. Infact AFAIR Pulsar 220 came with similar recommendation for oil change interval.
Old 30th June 2023, 00:10   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerH View Post
FYI it's not first in the segment, RE 650s have been there with 10k service interval since day 1. Infact AFAIR Pulsar 220 came with similar recommendation for oil change interval.
It is 10k miles/ 16K kms for the triumph twins.

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 00:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
It is 10k miles/ 16K kms for the triumph twins.

Regards
Bharath
Yeah i know, but the funny has mentioned 10k kms and i replied accordingly.
FlankerH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 01:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerH View Post
Yeah i know, but the funny has mentioned 10k kms and i replied accordingly.
Although I miss typed miles as kilometers, I was referring to the interval in the segment i.e. 300-400CC bikes. RE 650s are technically above and P220 is below the segment. Also it's not just the Oil change, there should be just once service visit per year. Does 650 twins and P220 have just one service per year? From what I read P220 had to visit service at-least twice per year. Having to visit service center twice a year once for regular checkup and another time for Oil change isn't the same as single visit per year.
Old 30th June 2023, 08:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Does 650 twins and P220 have just one service per year?
In short yes, i currently own an Int650 and in past had p220.
Old 30th June 2023, 08:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Tried to answer some of your queries.
Thanks for your efforts and time Sir.

Quote:
These are all inputs from riders who spotted the test mules number of times near Chakan.
I happen to spot/ride along many test mules as their routes and timing match my office commute, related post on first spotting (Spied testing: Bajaj - Triumph single cylinder motorcycles).

Quote:
Actual facts and figures will be known only once the bike is available for media rides post launch.
If you aren't aware, parrys will be attending media rides for his own auto portal, hence that post. In the past, he has also worked for Team-BHP in official capacity as content writer.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 09:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Came across this walk around video on YouTube.

Look at how TRIUMPH is spelled. Its TR-U-I-MPH. Is this a fake video or bajaj/triumph QC already screwing up?
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-img_1450.jpeg  

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th June 2023 at 09:42.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks