Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 09:35   #361
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled

Seems like Mumbai has a new Triumph dealer, Shaman. Just got a sms from them confirming my booking. Hope this one is closer South.
"Congratulations on booking your Triumph Speed 400/Scrambler 400x with us at Shaman Triumph. We have received your pre-booking"
Old 11th July 2023, 09:59   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
Seems like Mumbai has a new Triumph dealer, Shaman. Just got a sms from them confirming my booking. Hope this one is closer South.
"Congratulations on booking your Triumph Speed 400/Scrambler 400x with us at Shaman Triumph. We have received your pre-booking"

Shaman Triumph is the one and only Triumph showroom in Mumbai. Located on the Western Express Highway between Jogeshwari and Andheri.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 10:08   #363
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I was looking at dealers available on HDFC Bank (in the loan section). I could see 3 dealer names for Pune for Triumph Speed 400.

2 BU Bhandaris and 1 Shaman
Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-screenshot-20230711-9.56.31-am.png

Anyways Bajaj/Triumph are running late on their promise on the On Road price clarification.

Will be visiting once we have full information and the Media Embargo is over.
Old 11th July 2023, 11:10   #364

Quote:
Probably they are planning to start all India deliveries from 15th August (Independence Day) to try and make the day memorable. They may have advertisements showing how you can obtain your independence from the mundane by owning a Triumph Speed 400
Ironic given the product literally has part of the union jack on it
techsupportcat9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:16   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsupportcat9 View Post
Ironic given the product literally has part of the union jack on it
It's okay, all of that is in the past.

We now have an Indian leading that country and an Indian partner leading this launch.
nishsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 14:33   #366

Hyderabad Retro Triumph - I tried many times, but they are not picking up calls and have no callback. Apart from WhatsApp messages when booking, there is no further communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Any idea regarding the clarified on-road costs? Bajaj-Triumph was supposed to inform yesterday. Zigwheels had stated so, for example.
Just got a call from Retro Triumph Hyderabad, will get to know the on-road price on August 2nd week. Test drives from August 1st week. Deliveries from September end/October 1st week.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th July 2023 at 20:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 11th July 2023, 15:02   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Triumph should've chosen a new and different dealer for Bangalore. We can see that the highest bookings are from this City.
I believe that there will be. A friend who handles Bajaj, KTM, and Kawasaki in Bangalore told me was quite excited about the triumph launch. I did not question him further but he said he can let me have one at cost, so I think he plans to sell them.
Old 11th July 2023, 17:11   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghut456 View Post
Just got a call from Retro Triumph Hyderabad, will get to know the on-road price on August 2nd week. Test drives from August 1st week. Deliveries from September end/October 1st week.
This is exactly the reason Triumph keeps failing and there service centers are also no good. How long does it take to come out with On-Road price for a bike whose Ex-Showroom price has also been announced.

I am sure dealers are busy arm twisting them for additional expenses to be added and both the companies are probably struggling. Gives me 0 confidence in a brand and gives me stutters to think how they will arm twist you tomorrow when it comes to Service Costs.

I will happily sit this one out for next 6 months to see how early adopters are treated and how do they handle the rush and probably over demanding customers, who just got there first Triumph.

RE continues to succeed as they have dealers/service center aspect firmly in control.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th July 2023 at 17:13.
AtheK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 20:12   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
I believe that there will be. A friend who handles Bajaj, KTM, and Kawasaki in Bangalore told me was quite excited about the triumph launch. I did not question him further but he said he can let me have one at cost, so I think he plans to sell them.
If you check khivrajtriumph.com contact us you will find electronic City and Whitefield along with 3 locations in Chennai. They must be opening soon
Old 11th July 2023, 21:19   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
This is exactly the reason Triumph keeps failing and there service centers are also no good. How long does it take to come out with On-Road price for a bike whose Ex-Showroom price has also been announced.

I am sure dealers are busy arm twisting them for additional expenses to be added and both the companies are probably struggling. Gives me 0 confidence in a brand and gives me stutters to think how they will arm twist you tomorrow when it comes to Service Costs.

I will happily sit this one out for next 6 months to see how early adopters are treated and how do they handle the rush and probably over demanding customers, who just got there first Triumph.

RE continues to succeed as they have dealers/service center aspect firmly in control.
I share almost the same sentiment as you. I will be waiting for few months before finalizing on the Speed 400. It is pretty apparent that this is a high quality but low margin product (from the early reviews and price). The conversion from ex showroom to on-road depends on the fixed percentages of road tax and rto expenses (engine size specific) plus the insurance and optional extended warranty.

The reason it is causing a delay in my opinion is that they are still figuring out what the appropriate handling charges and intro kit package should be. If you see the bigger bikes like Trident and tiger models, they also have the extra charges as mentioned in the Bangalore on road price photo and the buyers actually pay it too. I guess Bajaj and Triumph will finalize what the "extra" components of the on road price should be. Such that the buyers don't mind paying and also don't feel ripped off.

As we all know, the accesories and other charges are where the showroom makes money (other than the vehicle itself ofcourse). So I think that's the sole reason of this delay. They want to keep the handling charges constant across all dealerships and it may take a while to gain unanimous agreement by whoever is involved.
Old 11th July 2023, 21:36   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
I share almost the same sentiment as you. I will be waiting for few months before finalizing on the Speed 400. It is pretty apparent that this is a high quality but low margin product (from the early reviews and price). The conversion from ex showroom to on-road depends on the fixed percentages of road tax and rto expenses (engine size specific) plus the insurance and optional extended warranty.

The reason it is causing a delay in my opinion is that they are still figuring out what the appropriate handling charges and intro kit package should be. If you see the bigger bikes like Trident and tiger models, they also have the extra charges as mentioned in the Bangalore on road price photo and the buyers actually pay it too. I guess Bajaj and Triumph will finalize what the "extra" components of the on road price should be. Such that the buyers don't mind paying and also don't feel ripped off.

As we all know, the accesories and other charges are where the showroom makes money (other than the vehicle itself ofcourse). So I think that's the sole reason of this delay. They want to keep the handling charges constant across all dealerships and it may take a while to gain unanimous agreement by whoever is involved.
One would assume that a mature player like Bajaj would have thought through these basic teething issues given their experience with multiple bike launches including KTM, Husqvarna. Which makes me wonder if they are really calling the shots here.

For a bike which cost 10L ex-showroom, there is a certain packaging that it associated it and coupled with low volumes; the transportation/handling charge might be higher. But if you are shipping 50 KTMs and in the future Triumph 400's in a single truck; what are we discussing about?

I suspect the steering wheel is with Triumph here (as they probably wanted) and they simply dont have Bajaj's experience/ maturity in the Indian market nor any volume market for that matter (and quite frankly seem out of their depth). Hopefully, these early issues are flagged to Nick and he hands over the dealer/service aspects to Bajaj leadership in the greater interest of Triumph India.
sprocket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 22:03   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
One would assume that a mature player like Bajaj would have thought through these basic teething issues given their experience with multiple bike launches including KTM, Husqvarna. Which makes me wonder if they are really calling the shots here.

For a bike which cost 10L ex-showroom, there is a certain packaging that it associated it and coupled with low volumes; the transportation/handling charge might be higher. But if you are shipping 50 KTMs and in the future Triumph 400's in a single truck; what are we discussing about?

I suspect the steering wheel is with Triumph here (as they probably wanted) and they simply dont have Bajaj's experience/ maturity in the Indian market nor any volume market for that matter (and quite frankly seem out of their depth). Hopefully, these early issues are flagged to Nick and he hands over the dealer/service aspects to Bajaj leadership in the greater interest of Triumph India.
Let's wait. I think everything will be clear once the official reviews are out in 4 days. I mean, imagine instead of the 20k handling charges, if the bike was launched at 2.53L ex showroom and no such handling charge to be added by the showroom, people still would have loved the pricing. But they chose 2.33L. For now, we are just going by the pic that was circulated as per Bangalore showroom. Maybe that was some error ? Just giving benefit of doubt. Let's trust Bajaj/triumph. Anyway there will be clarity in the coming few days. Smart people who know the market fairly well head these companies. So il trust them. Let's wait.
Old 11th July 2023, 22:48   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

What sprocket said, the bigger bikes buyer are not too fussy as they have this figured it out in mind already and also as stated by him about the volume games. Everything is built to a cost, Bajaj and triumph are no saints or in charity, everyone is in it to make money, they kept the sticker price low means there will be some cost cutting in some places to make margins. Those will get highlighted in longer run eventually, but hopefully nothing major.

The margins that dealers are making on each bike is probably the same or near about that they make with a high end accessory for a bigger bike, not much in them for higher selling low margin models. They will have to recruit additional sales people, pay salaries to more trained workforce in service center and ROI probably does not look that enticing to the big bike dealers. So they are probably asking Bajaj and triumph to give them a higher share of margins for this bike, which is eventually delaying the on road pricing announcement. This obviously is my guess only.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th July 2023 at 22:57.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 08:22   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baristyro View Post
Reading the RC390 and Speed 400 torque curves, I don't see much similarity.

At 2500-2600rpm:
RC390: 6 lb-ft = 8.13 Nm
Speed400: 27 n-m (Torque-weight ratio 153)
INT 650: 32 Nm (Torque-weight ratio 151)
That's 3 times the low end torque on Speed 400 relative to RC390.

At 3000-4000rpm:
RC 390: 17 lb-ft = 23 Nm
Speed400: 31Nm (TWR 176)
INT 650: 34 Nm (TWR 161)
RC390 catching up, but still falling short.

At 4000-5000rpm:
RC 390: 19 lb-ft = 25 Nm
Speed400: 32Nm (TWR 176)
INT 650:36 Nm (TWR 170)
RC is still revving up, while Speed about to hit boost.

At 5000-6000rpm:
RC 390: 23 lb-ft = 31 Nm
Speed400: 35Nm (TWR 198)
INT 650: 37 Nm (TWR 175)

Quoting the sources:

Attachment 2473925

Attachment 2473926

I have added rough torque and torque to weight ratio from Int 650 in the above text. Looks like Speed 400 has more Torque to weight ratio (TWR) than INT 650 closer to the powerband. I guess one could perceive the more FUN in Speed 400. I wish INT 650 owners could ride the Speed 400 and share how it feels to ride incomparison to 650. Is it more fun?

I think Speed 400/scrambler are the best bikes in the Indian market under 4 lakhs because of the below.

1. RE 650: Although RE has better power and torque, when we consider the additional weight (35 kgs). I beleive Speed 400 will be much more agile, more fun to ride (better TWR), has equally good top speed (160+) and cruising speed (120-140). Speed 400 scrambler version has better wider seats compared to 650 twins. During long distance riding/rough roads every additional kg of the bike will add to the fatigue. So, I feel Speed 400 is better.

2. KTMs (390 adv/duke) insect design language does not appeal to me. Also not to mention the low torque at city speeds which is not ideal as riding in traffic would be more than 70% of the kms driven in my use case.

3. Honda CB350/Harley 440/RE 350s: Low power for the money compared to Speed 400 so not appealing.

4.Himalayan 450: It will have a tough time in value (unless RE prices it competitive). I beleive they are pitching it against the Adv 390s.

Triumph has rocked the Indian bike market. One solid bike that can steal sales from multiple segments right from RE 350 to Adv 390s (2-4 lakhs) Kudos.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-nzcbqr2rprdudnbmxzyh7xtity.jpg  

Last edited by Godzilla : 12th July 2023 at 08:24.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 09:07   #375
BHPian

Let's wait for the actual ride reviews and comparisons. On paper T400 seems good. But there's exaxtly ONE dealer for triumph in my state, three for ktm in my district but five for RE in my city alone. No news of newer triumph dealerships opening up in my state even.

Last edited by Senotrius : 12th July 2023 at 09:09.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks