Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2023, 06:49   #316
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Tank capacity rating was was considering potential long trips like leh ladakh.

Torque rating difference was due to CB and HD offering peak torque at much lower RPM aiding relaxed driving.
If Speed 400 turns out better than KTM 390 at pulling from stand still, it will be rated higher. Thanks.
I agree, tank capacity should have been atleast 15 litres. That, and a better display/console design. Why do manufacturers all do this? No bikes outside commuters give good mileage, so give they should provide larger tanks.

Last edited by Senotrius : 8th July 2023 at 06:50.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 13:13   #317
BHPian

https://www.instagram.com/p/CubSLPvN...c4MmM1YmI2Ng==

From Indiatriumph handle but spoken by Bajaj india.
Just saw this clarifying the dealer cost escalation. I hope bajaj is really in charge of the sales and service and not the pre-existing triumph dealer crooks. If they maintain industry wide standard costs as said then excellent.

Last edited by Senotrius : 8th July 2023 at 13:16.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 13:25   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tank capacity rating was was considering potential long trips like leh ladakh.
I'm a bit curious - what is the ideal range required for trips like Leh/Ladakh etc? With the 13 litre fuel tank and an assumed mileage of 25 kmpl, I guess you can safely drive for 275 kms with 11 litres. Isn't that enough? Wouldn't someone want a break by then?

TBH, I never knew I needed a bike until this was launched. Absolutely amazing deal but can't justify my use case.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 14:03   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I'm a bit curious - what is the ideal range required for trips like Leh/Ladakh etc? With the 13 litre fuel tank and an assumed mileage of 25 kmpl, I guess you can safely drive for 275 kms with 11 litres. Isn't that enough? Wouldn't someone want a break by then?
Tandi - 345 km Karu petrol pump - 30Km Leh.
One can get late to reach Karu so Gandi to Leh = 375Km + 25km =400km (safety margin) should be the min range. So at 30Kmpl average, tank should be 14L min.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 14:03   #320
BHPian

The company has issued a clarification with respect to a rumour which apparently went viral yesterday.

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-img20230708wa0020.jpg
aviator1101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 14:03   #321
BHPian

My rant from a Eicher Motors shareholder perspective (while licking the 10% cut in share price wounds)!

A great product at a lucrative entry price point is not enough to guarantee success. The below points too are to be ticked -

Product attributes:
1. Long term commitment of the brand to the Indian market
2. Getting the price, value, service, spares, reliability, reach - equation right
3. Community building, non-degradation of brand value over decades in Indian minds
4. Other lines of product like apparel, safety equipment, accessories
5. Total cost of ownership

Shareholder attributes:
All the above needs to be achieved while delivering shareholder value in terms of Return on Equity, Margins, Growth in revenues & profits, predictability of earnings & sustainability, free cash flows, consistent dividends.

Not many automobile companies in the world are known to deliver shareholder value because of the nature of the industry - Cyclical, competition, disruption, government regulations etc. At the same time there are many companies which have great products but mediocre shareholder returns (Example: Crocs, Victoria’s Secrets, Ford, Tupperware, Citibank, Toys r Us, Nokia, Pan Am, Kodak, Yahoo etc.)

All this is not to take away anything from Bajaj - Triumph combination but we need to wait and see what happens after the initial euphoria settles down and how the bike performs in the real world conditions and how the company responds to customers.

I’m a minority shareholder, so I have the option to simply move from Eicher motor’s share to Bajaj share but I will not be easily convinced to do that because of my unending faith in Siddharth Lal’s potential. I’m willing to give the longest rope to him.

Mods: A bit out of context post, please feel free to delete if this does not add value.
petrolveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 15:01   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

TBH, I never knew I needed a bike until this was launched. Absolutely amazing deal but can't justify my use case.
In case of many other bikes, and even for those with large fuel tanks, it is customary on this particular route to carry a few liters of extra fuel. Else you can buy it for a few bucks extra from hotels enroute.

I think any bike's fuel tank should be proportionate and not for catering to a single highest distance between two petrol pumps in the whole country, which is irrelevant and easily overcome by rudimentary means.

The 400 is too irresistible to ignore, at least on paper. As for justifying your use case, sometimes splurging on self indulgence should be a reason good enough.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 15:31   #323
BHPian

Petrol tanks range from 10L to 21 L. 15L is in the middle.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 8th July 2023 at 15:35.
Old 8th July 2023, 19:38   #324
Senior - BHPian

Seems like until the embargo, these ride and sound tidbits are doing rounds. Sounds absolutely amazing.

Credits: Respective Video Owners.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 19:47   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Tandi - 345 km Karu petrol pump - 30Km Leh.
One can get late to reach Karu so Gandi to Leh = 375Km + 25km =400km (safety margin) should be the min range. So at 30Kmpl average, tank should be 14L min.
Generic tip ahead. Sorry mods.

A biker should spend the night not at Manali or Tandi but at Sissu (41 km from Manali, altitude 3100m).

Start the next day early from Sissu. Tandi is 22 km ahead. Refill. Go to Keylong 9 km ahead.

Keylong has a petrol pump now. Easy to skip the refill thinking that there's no need to refill again.

Wrong! In this road distance of 9 km, the bike will climb 500m, guzzling fuel. So if here at Keylong without a fuel can, you should empty 2-3 water bottles, fill petrol in them, do full tank refill, buy water, and don't forget to enjoy the La to La ride
mkumar79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 21:26   #326
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Triumph 400 reached 10,000 bookings within 10 days. Bajaj planning to ramp-up production.

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled-t400.jpg

Quote:
Talking about the strong response from customers, Rakesh Sharma, Executive Director, Bajaj Auto, said: “We are excited by the overwhelming response we have received following the launch. A pre-order of 10,000 bikes within such a short span is unprecedented and a testament to the unwavering faith that riders have placed in Bajaj Auto and Triumph Motorcycles. We are committed to our promise of manufacturing exceptional motorcycles that captivate riders with their performance, design, and technology.”
The production will be ramped up to meet this unprecedented demand. By making an online booking, customers can reserve their spot and reduce the waiting period, assured the company. Once bikes reach dealerships, they will invite customers from the booking list to make payments. The first 10,000 who take delivery for Speed400 will be eligible for the special inaugural price, the company said in a statement.

Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 8th July 2023 at 21:37.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 21:38   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
Are the dealers and service centers now suddenly accountable to Bajaj Auto management (instead of, to Triumph India)?

Outside of Chennai and nearby, why's there so much optimism? The service centers are well-documented by BHPians as utterly untrained, incapable and dispassionate. No hint of empathy too when escalated to Triumph India management e.g.

Keerthi Triumph (Bengaluru) ruins an engine (2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs)

Attitudes and capabilities cannot be corrected overnight.
I would really like an official statement from Bajaj committing to improve the after sales service experience. The horror stories of Keerthi Triumph send a chill down my spine every time I read them.

On the flip side, if the bikes do get popular, we might end up with more private garages developing expertise on them.
Carfool_Wheeler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 21:54   #328
BHPian

I think Bajaj is trying to get everything sorted out this time. Expanding dealership network, ensuring better availability of spares and provide better service experience. As sales number increases I hope there wouldn't be any issue for availability of service center , spare parts and reasonable service costs which was one of the biggest complaints that Triumph faced earlier.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 22:05   #329
Senior - BHPian

There is so much stuff east of the Leh-Manali highway that no tank range apart from those of the Splendors, Platinas and Discovers is enough.

Pangong Tso
Hanle
Umlimg La
Tso Moriri

All of the above are between the last petrol pump in Tangste and the first one at Keylong.

It will be over 600km before you find a petrol pump again.

For this usage, everyone regardless of whether they are on Pulsar/Dominar/KTM/RE/Jawa/TVS/BMW will have to carry fuel. For the rest of the country, 13 litres and 250-300km is plenty of range. It's hard enough to drive that distance non stop. On a bike, the challenge is a notch higher.

A couple of years from now, the 3rd route to Ladakh will open up via Zanskar valley. Padum, i.e. the halfway point on that route already has a petrol pump. So you can do the circuit via Kashmir and never face fuel issues.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 22:49   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Triumph 400 reached 10,000 bookings within 10 days. Bajaj planning to ramp-up production.
Bajaj clearly achieved the Mahindra moment (XUV 7OO) in 2-Wheeler industry - in terms of product offering, pricing, excitement and customer bookings. The initial feedback on product performance seems to be good and hoping the reviews speak the same language on 14th July. There will definitely be minor teething issues in delivery (mostly dealer induced) but it's great to see Bajaj+Triumph proactively addressing all the fears/rumours. This definitely has all the pinnings of a significant disruptor in the Indian 2W industry. This also can't come at a better time when the EV 2Ws are loosing steam due to reduction of subsidies. I am hoping that the ICE based competition will invest in developing superior offerings rather than resort to price wars with existing offerings - great time to be a customer in the market now and ICE engine based bikes can never die down.

The last thing I want is Bajaj to follow Mahindra success mantra to the T by subsequent price raises.

As for myself, I am looking forward to Scorpio N moment (Scram 400X) moment and threw my hat in the queue impulsively.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th July 2023 at 10:56. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks