Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2023, 12:15   #211
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X unveiled

This is good marketing by the Bajaj-Triumph guys. As it has been mentioned above, they will surely bring in price hikes as soon as the sales numbers keep going up. Some amount of predatory pricing is required in a congested bike market like ours.

Is this a new engine that has been developed? I'm sure the KTM guys would not take it too well if they hear that the 390 engine is used as a base for this 400.
Any news on this front?
Old 6th July 2023, 12:23   #212
Senior - BHPian

The pricing of the Triumph Speed 400 exposes the highly overpriced products across various different segments in the market today.

I was contemplating the purchase of the 155cc Yamaha R15M at 1.97L ex-showroom and this bike has opened my eyes!

What an astonishing price!! Kudos to Triumph and Bajaj for redefining the market
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:50   #213
KPR
BANNED

When it comes to pricing of bikes no one can compete with Bajaj. Be it Platina or avenger or Pulsars, they have got it right. With this Speed 400 and 400x they have aced the pricing. For once any post from this thread is not complaining about pricing.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:20   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastryBLR View Post
Saw the price, and pre-booked the scrambler in red. Sadly I'm on #13533 as indicated by the invoice.

Waiting to see how RE will price their scrambler 450, but Bajaj is playing smart by waiting for RE to reveal their cards first.

The RE will outsell Triumphs due to showroom reach, but I'm really happy to see the competition.

Does anybody have the details on accessories and cost?
I guess the booking ID is not the accurate booking number after all. I just booked the scrambler couple of minutes ago and my number is 13254.
Old 6th July 2023, 13:23   #215
BHPian

Got into the FOMO mode looking at the thread activity and booked today both Scrambler 400 and X440.
May not buy either of them but at least will get out of my comfort zone, go out and test ride them when available instead of just watching YouTube reviews.
When’s the Aprilia RS 440 booking opening ? I am on a roll !
Exhuberance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:25   #216

The most impressive launch recently with an excellent value for money. I think that expanding the service network could generate significant sales numbers, given the limited good options in the 3 lac segment. My eyes are on 400x scramble!
Old 6th July 2023, 13:37   #217
BHPian

I saw pictures of the Harley, and then I saw those of the Triumph. And even though I shouldn't, I felt bad for the HD.

With a face only a mother could love*, the Harley sits at a severe disadvantage in a world which is enamoured by aesthetics.
(*T&Cs apply)

Also, imagine a child born into a family of heavyweight wrestlers expected to perform in 400m sprints. (No matter the mother's side being a family of champion marathon runners.)

I spent a LOT of time at India Bike Week in Goa last year. Experienced first hand how HD is a brand steeped in being the "biggest & loudest". Makes me wonder if the back-slapping bonhomie will be extended to the family runt.

(On the positive side though, some Harley Riders might actually end up riding cross country to biker fests like IBW )

Triumph has at this point, very obviously hit it out of the park. The bike looks beautiful, should have excellent build, and will certainly help the brand expand its reach. Simply because the next step will be more accessible with the Trident 660 (a jump of ~5 lacs). Whereas Harley's next model (Nightster?) has a cost jump of ~15 lacs.

Now by NO means do I want HD to perish. (Not till I have bought and enjoyed a Fat Bob at the very least).

In the same breath I really appreciate how Triumph has respected market forces and brought forth a machine that not only will make quality motorcycles more accessible (big shout out to 650 twins for starting that), but also set a precedent for automobile brands in offering an amazing product at the RIGHT price. Something HD has been too "lifestyle" to do.

P.S. - The monkey's paw being KTM boys getting their sights on the Speed 400s
(Owned a Duke390, so very aware of what I am talking about.)

Last edited by Himalayan_Ice : 6th July 2023 at 13:40. Reason: Word(s), typos
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:37   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But is this a substitute for someone looking for a 'true retro', easy going and more comfortable bike like the Classic 350? I don't think so.

This falls into the Dominar, Hunter and KTM 390 territory and RE can still carry on business as usual with their Classics, IMHO.

Cheers...

IMO more than just the RETRO - CLASSIC Image, the Success of RE has been due to its UNIQUE positioning in India as a

"Desirable" (Desi Macho) Image
"Affordable Enough" in terms of pricing
and easy enough to be able to "Daily Commute"

A formula that many tried, but none has been able to crack so far in the past 15 Yrs (The Classic 350 was launched in 2007-2008, which marked a change in fortunes for RE).

But the Baby Bajaj Triumph is definitely

According to me - "Even More Desirable" (Iconic and Authentic British Pedigree, A.K.A "Phoren Brand")
"Affordable Enough" (so many Impulse Bookings on T-Bhp just proves it) -
and easy enough to be able to "Daily Commute".

This Baby Triumph might just do for Bajaj what the Dominar didn't.

Last edited by payeng : 6th July 2023 at 13:50.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:47   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
But the Baby Bajaj Triumph is definitely

"Desirable" (Iconic and Authetic British Pedigree)
"Affordable Enough" (so many Impulse Bookings on T-Bhp just proves it) -
and easy enough to be able to "Daily Commute".

This Baby Triumph might just do for Bajaj what the Dominar didn't.
But is it 'retro' enough. You may not want to believe it, but many buyers 'still' buy the Classic 350 for it's authentic retro image. But this doesn't take anything away from the success I forsee for this baby Triumph. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But is it 'retro' enough. You may not want to believe it, but many buyers 'still' buy the Classic 350 for it's authentic retro image. But this doesn't take anything away from the success I forsee for this baby Triumph. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers...
IMO desi customers mostly buy the RE Classic

[1] For its DUG - DUG exhaust Note
[2] for its association with Masculinity (Police/Military association only helps)
[3] Affordable to buy and run as a Daily Commute

That it comes in a RETRO format is incidental.
payeng is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:05   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO desi customers mostly buy the RE Classic

[1] For its DUG - DUG exhaust Note
[2] for its association with Masculinity (Police/Military association only helps)
[3] Affordable to buy and run as a Daily Commute

That it comes in a RETRO format is incidental.
I do not agree with your generalisation of the term 'desi' customer and some may even take offence to it, not me. Dug dug and masculanity is a very 'narrow' way of looking at the success of this formula worldwide not only in India, though as a comfortable daily commuter which is equally at ease in the far reaches of Ladakh, is only something I will agree to.

Cheers...
Old 6th July 2023, 14:09   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not agree with your generalisation of the term 'desi' customer and some may even take offence to it, not me. Dug dug and masculanity is a very 'narrow' way of looking at the success of this formula worldwide not only in India, though as a comfortable daily commuter which is equally at ease in the far reaches of Ladakh, is only something I will agree to.

Cheers...
Take away each of the Characteristics from that I have mentioned above.. and then guess how successful would RE be in India.

BTW Worldwide the RE has started to become popular only post the 650 Twins (which doesn't go DUG - DUG).. the Single cylinders are "too slow" for their Highways. And in those countries, people mostly Commute in their CARS.

Last edited by payeng : 6th July 2023 at 14:15.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:13   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take away each of the Characteristics from that I have mentioned above.. and then guess how successful would RE be.
Those 2 characteristics that you talk about are inbuilt into the 'retro' design and looks of the bike which is but a sum total of much more, if you get the drift, which imho is the top selling reason for the Classic 350 customer. Anyways, I don't think we should spam the Triumph thread with something that needs to be discussed on some other relevant thread.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 6th July 2023 at 14:25.
Old 6th July 2023, 14:15   #224
BHPian

Some reviewers mentioned below features in this bike.

1. Dual channel ABS
2. Cornering ABS
3. Traction control.
4. Adjustable rear suspension.
5. Slip assist clutch.

Are these really available or am I falling for over enthusistic reviewer's half-baked views again?

Triumph's official specs page doesn't mention all these above, https://www.triumphmotorcycles.in/mo.../specification

#1, #5 seems true.
Old 6th July 2023, 14:24   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
1. Dual channel ABS
2. Cornering ABS
3. Traction control.
4. Adjustable rear suspension.
5. Slip assist clutch.

Are these really available or am I falling for over enthusistic reviewer's half-baked views again?
It definitely doesn't have cornering ABS. What the Scrambler has IIRC is switchable ABS - binary operation, either on or off.

The rest is true. The rear suspension is adjustable for pre-load. Traction control again is a binary - either on / off, instead of having different settings like Rain vs Road.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th July 2023 at 14:45.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks