Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50

The side stand has claimed my <1 month-old Aerox as its victim. Brother took the scooter out for groceries, and at a small 1min stop, he put it on the side stand (despite my express warnings about not using the side stand at all). The scooter fell before he could turn around and react.

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-whatsapp-image-20230425-11.34.57.jpg

I was planning to get a side stand shoe to avoid such an incident. Too late.

EDIT: Here is the 30-rupee solution.

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2023 at 07:41. Reason: As requested
quicksilver101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver101 View Post
I dont think the side stand shoe would help in this case. The shoe will help if you are parking on soft surfaces like loose mud or sand. I believe the issue is with the tension on the spring of the side stand and if the vehicle even moves a little bit forward, the stand gives away at the top part where it folds. It could also be the angle in which this stand is, when fully extended. It should open up little more towards the front. That way there will be resistance when the bike moves forward.
anzrulz555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 19:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
I dont think the side stand shoe would help in this case. The shoe will help if you are parking on soft surfaces like loose mud or sand. I believe the issue is with the tension on the spring of the side stand and if the vehicle even moves a little bit forward, the stand gives away at the top part where it folds. It could also be the angle in which this stand is, when fully extended. It should open up little more towards the front. That way there will be resistance when the bike moves forward.
Is there a fix that we can do by ourselves?
I've ordered the side stand shoe because I want to do something about it. If nothing else, it should be a reminder not to use the side stand or to at least be careful.
Old 28th April 2023, 08:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The side stand has claimed my <1 month-old Aerox as its victim.
Same thing happened to my 2 months aerox (mentioned above in my previous post) Luckily that side panel costs 750 only and they charge 150 for labour.
Old 28th April 2023, 12:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
4. Faulty side stand design: Side stand support is not adequite to hold the bike in place on uneven or sloppy surface. I have already dropped bike once and spent on side panel replacement and mirror replacement albeit at low cost.
How much did the side panel and mirror replacement cost you? Would appreciate if you could give a cost breakdown since this is a very common problem and LOTS of people (like me) will need a side panel replacement
quicksilver101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
How much did the side panel and mirror replacement cost you? Would appreciate if you could give a cost breakdown since this is a very common problem and LOTS of people (like me) will need a side panel replacement
Approximate prices (Forgot to keep the bill)

Mirror - ₹220
Side Panel - ₹750
Labor Charge at Yamaha Showroom - ₹150 (They returned the bike in 2hrs as they already had parts in stock)

If side panel is not available in stock, It will take approx take one week to procure. So check with nearby Yamaha blue showrooms
sunilarkt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The side stand has claimed my <1 month-old Aerox as its victim. Brother took the scooter out for groceries, and at a small 1min stop, he put it on the side stand (despite my express warnings about not using the side stand at all). The scooter fell before he could turn around and react.

Attachment 2443820

I have the same wound at the same place. No response from the service guys though I placed order for the panel replacement.
What I did is, just changed the spring from Hero splendor. It is more tight now, and works well. No more side stand issues.
agbenny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 18:10   #8
BHPian

Added a Genma side stand shoe to my Aerox today. It'll help the side stand find better footing on soil and sand (doesn't help on cement/concrete or tiles). Also reduces the scooter's side stand lean by a hint.

Hoping to swap out the side stand spring for something with more coils/tension. That + side stand shoe should help minimize instances of the bike falling from its stand.

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-photo_20230504_180657.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-photo_20230504_180646.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-photo_20230504_180645.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-photo_20230504_180641.jpg
quicksilver101 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The side stand has claimed my <1 month-old Aerox as its victim.
=======
I planned to get a side stand shoe to avoid such an incident. Too late.
So, after this, I got the side panel replaced from the V Mirai service center in Chembur, Mumbai. I had to pay an advance of ₹500, they took about two weeks to source the side panel (with no clear answer or follow-ups on an ETA). The final cost was around ₹700-ish for the panel and another <₹200 for labor.

As mentioned in later posts, I also got a Genma side stand shoe for the scooter to avoid such incidents again.

Well guess what happened this Saturday

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-img_20230617_095152.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-img_20230617_095202.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-img_20230617_095205.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-img_20230617_095231.jpg

I took the scooter to the gym and parked at my usual parking spot. There are plenty of options to enter and exit the parking area. But some smart fellow (I imagine) thought it was best to move my scooter to exit/park his. Because when I returned, I saw my Aerox parked on the side stand. I never park on the side stand. Coming closer, my heart sank as what I expected had happened, did. The person had probably parked on the side stand and the bike had fallen again, and the side panel and the handlebar end got damaged, AGAIN. There are CCTV cameras and stuff, but I don't have the time or energy to pursue this for the sake of some 1k rupees damage and heated arguments.

I am frustrated at how easy it is for the bike to give way on the side stand. The side stand is clearly faulty if all it takes is a slight bit of effort to have the bike fall in the exact same manner. More than the money this will take to fix, the time it will take to fix breaks my heart as it involves two trips to the SC, multiple days of waiting with no ETAs etc. And I set myself up again for another day of side stand failure.

I want to explore good solutions:
1. I'll probably replace the side stand spring.
2. I am exploring getting a crash guard installed. I don't like the super sharp front heads that most guards have (obv don't want to hurt anyone upon any unfortunate impact, it's okay if the bike gets damaged (life >>> bike)). But I had seen a crash guard on an Indonesian page that was just half a guard that would protect against this exact situation only.
3. I am also considering just removing the side stand entirely. I will have to speak to the SC and see how one would disable the side stand engine cutoff as I believe there is a sensor that would need to be covered/pressed.

Future Aerox buyers, please beware. Scooters are unfortunately seen as community vehicles, and everyone will come and touch and sit and move your bike. Their first response t moving would be to park on side stand and walk away. So keep a "side panel replacement" fund in mind before purchasing.

Yamaha, if you are reading this, please fix the damn thing for future models.
quicksilver101 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 22:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

re: Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 21st June 2023, 08:46   #11
BHPian

I have found the solution to this problem.

Use a side stand mount shoe like Genma (or similar) and replace the side stand spring with Hero Splendor's spring (which is much stiffer and stable) or any other regular bike spring that is stiffer than stock aerox.

Now I don't have to worry about this side stand issue.

Last edited by sunilarkt : 21st June 2023 at 08:54. Reason: spelling correction
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why do we believe this is a spring problem? Spring is just to retract. When the stand is out, something is supposed to hold it in that position, and that seems to be giving way. Fortunately, mine is holding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
Use a side stand mount shoe like Genma (or similar) and replace the side stand spring with Hero Splendor's spring (which is much stiffer and stable) or any other regular bike spring that is stiffer than stock aerox.
Old 21st June 2023, 11:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Why do we believe this is a spring problem? Spring is just to retract. When the stand is out, something is supposed to hold it in that position, and that seems to be giving way. Fortunately, mine is holding.
The stock spring is not strong enough to hold it in either a standing or folded position if applied even a small load. When you have a stiffer spring, It is stable enough not to fold. I have tried pushing with a stiffer spring and it is not folding and falling like it happened with my bike. Especially on an uneven surface or on an inclined surface.
sunilarkt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 16:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The spring is not just for retraction. Its job is to provide resistance against movement of the stand unless expressly moved.
When the stand is retracted it has to pull to keep it retracted.
When extended, the spring has to pull to keep it extended.
This is done by locating the stand hinge and spring hinge (a spring toggle mechanism) such that lever is pulled more towards the desired position by the spring. Its harder to explain it in words than it is real life. This video helps to understand:

Anyway here the problem seems to be that either the spring pull isn't strong enough or the stand in the extended position isn't extended far enough for the spring to exert a good pull.
Both of these can be solved with a stronger spring which is the easiest thing to do without modifying the stand design.

On a side note, its so weird to see Yamaha getting this wrong. Its not as if they are designing a side stand for the first time!
I guess none of any previous Yamaha bikes have had any sideside issues.

Last edited by arijitkanrar : 21st June 2023 at 16:26. Reason: added info
arijitkanrar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:05   #15
BHPian

I'm adding pictures for your reference! It does really help to negate the issue. I would recommend to add the spring and check it for yourself (cost of spring is about 50rs).

Spring
Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-20230621_145011.jpg

Side stand shoe (Got it from Philippines)
Yamaha Aerox 155 | Faulty side stand design - Fixable for < Rs. 50-20230621_145014.jpg
sunilarkt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks