Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension

The 2023 KTM 390 Adventure has been launched in India priced at Rs 3.60 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The bike comes equipped with the latest hardware aimed at off-road enthusiasts.

KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension-2023-ktm-390-adventure.jpeg

The latest iteration of the 390 Adventure is fitted with a fully adjustable suspension. It allows the rider to tweak the compression, rebound and preload characteristics of the suspension depending on the surface conditions. The upside-down front forks get 30 settings for compression and rebound, while the rear monoshock gets 20 rebound settings and 10 preload settings.

Additionally, the bike is now available with lightweight black anodized spoked wheels with a 19-inch rim in the front and a 17-inch wheel at the back.

The 2023 edition of the 390 Adventure also gets Dakar Rally-inspired graphics, and several riding aids including traction control, off-road and street riding modes, cornering ABS and off-road ABS. The bike also comes with a slipper clutch with quickshifter, ride-by-wire, LED headlamps, a 5-inch TFT display and My Ride connectivity.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th May 2023 at 15:42.
TusharK is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Re: KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Additionally, the bike is now available with lightweight black anodized spoked wheels with a 19-inch rim in the front and a 17-inch wheel at the back.
Great news for the off-road enthusiasts who are looking to override few settings to match their preferences.
I have a query regarding "lightweight black anodized spoked wheels". Does this setup consists of spoked wheels with tubeless tires or is it spoked wheels with tube tires?
Old 15th May 2023, 16:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Finally, KTM has offered the 390 Adventure in all flavours, for those who loved it / wanted it, and also for those who used to nitpick.

Would be interesting to see how many of those who claimed that the bike would be perfect with this addition, go ahead and buy it...

For my first lot KTM 390 ADV, when my 3+ year old suspension starts to show some age, I would swap to this superior setup for sure. Nonetheless, I have had no problems in 23,000+ kms of ownership so far.
parrys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 17:07   #4
BHPian

This is great news! All the long distance enthusiasts were asking for this, will see Himalayan customers like me upgrading to this who arent into detailed offroading. This too can be offroad with the same ability as Aaron Knox shows in his videos - its all in the skill.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 20:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hope the adjustable cartilage for front and rear shocks are available for sale through dealer also, wouldn't mind investing in them for my bike. Spoke wheel is not really a need for my kind of use, but an adjustable suspension would be a great boon. Definitely going to check and order.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 22:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope the adjustable cartilage for front and rear shocks are available for sale through dealer also, wouldn't mind investing in them for my bike. Spoke wheel is not really a need for my kind of use, but an adjustable suspension would be a great boon. Definitely going to check and order.
I had the same thought, hope KTM brings out the kit to fit on the older Adventure bikes. IIRC correctly, KTM mentioned that the new ride modes would not be available for older bikes. Fortunately for us KTM had a change of heart.
Old 16th May 2023, 05:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Finally, KTM has offered the 390 Adventure in all flavours, for those who loved it / wanted it, and also for those who used to nitpick.

Would be interesting to see how many of those who claimed that the bike would be perfect with this addition, go ahead and buy it...

For my first lot KTM 390 ADV, when my 3+ year old suspension starts to show some age, I would swap to this superior setup for sure. Nonetheless, I have had no problems in 23,000+ kms of ownership so far.
Now the nitpick will be on how the bike has no torque on lower revs
For anyone who was genuinely unhappy with the 390 ADV Suspension, am sure folks have either learnt to live with it or have gone the aftermarket way to sort it out. I belong to the later camp and went with a YSS suspension for the rear and imported the US spec suspension for the front. Only time will tell if these variants are spot on or a case of too little too late.
Neo18 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 06:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
I have a query regarding "lightweight black anodized spoked wheels". Does this setup consists of spoked wheels with tubeless tires or is it spoked wheels with tube tires?
My understanding is this will be tubeless tires (likely Metzeler Tourance). But even the dealer didn’t seem to be 100% sure for some reason when I asked him yesterday. Let’s wait and watch when the bikes roll in.

KTM has finally launched its current gen with two big updates - the most important being adjustable suspension and if indeed this is tubeless as expected then tubeless spoke wheel setup. Now the only consideration for folks looking for a new 390A is exactly how far is the all new generation of the KTM 390A and whether to wait it out for the all new one or pull the trigger on this one.

For those who already own a 390A, if this adjustable suspension can be installed as a bolt-on aftermarket to their existing rides, it would be a great upgrade mod indeed.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 08:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My understanding is this will be tubeless tires (likely Metzeler Tourance). But even the dealer didn’t seem to be 100% sure for some reason when I asked him yesterday. Let’s wait and watch when the bikes roll in.
As per Autocar, the tyres are "tubed-type".

LINK: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...aunched-428180
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 09:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Great news for the off-road enthusiasts who are looking to override few settings to match their preferences.
The tyres will probably be tubeless. But the rims won't support tubeless system as it physically cannot hold air without a tube. Only the high end adventure bikes have tubeless spoked wheels. So, the 390 adventure will have a tube inside the tubeless tyre.
josephilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Was curious what will happen to the 2022 alloy wheel model, will it remain in the market. If so wide range of ADV 390 will be available, 390X, 390V, 390 standard, 2023 390.
Any information on the KTM plans.
Old 16th May 2023, 10:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
As per Autocar, the tyres are "tubed-type".
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephilip View Post
The tyres will probably be tubeless. But the rims won't support tubeless system as it physically cannot hold air without a tube. Only the high end adventure bikes have tubeless spoked wheels. So, the 390 adventure will have a tube inside the tubeless tyre.
That’s exactly right JosePhilip. I was asking around later and that’s what I’ve been given to understand as well. Tubeless “tyres” but the “rims” are not tubeless type. So you’re stuck with a tubed set up.

I know more people were content with their alloys (they’re tough enough) but were really keen on the adjustable suspension. This makes it a bit iffy because now if you want adjustable suspension you have the less puncture friendly tubed spoke wheels and if you want the alloys for greater peace of mind you don’t get adjustable suspension.

Overall I’ll still give them credit though for widely expanding the appeal of this model until the all new next gen comes in a couple of years. A bare bones version, a short seat version, alloy version and one with spoke wheels and adjustable suspension. They’re definitely taking the incoming competition onslaught seriously.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 12:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Me too.

As and when my 2020 bike starts to show age, in the suspension department, I will upgrade to this setup. Hoping it is a simple plug-n-play....
Old 16th May 2023, 12:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
If so wide range of ADV 390 will be available, 390X, 390V, 390 standard, 2023 390.
There will be 4 variants, X, V, Std, R (Rally - adjustable suspension + spoked wheels). All are 2023 models with OBD-II and E20 compatible. Media rides are scheduled for the month end, comparo videos will follow subsequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
A bare bones version, a short seat version, alloy version and one with spoke wheels and adjustable suspension.
I would like to see an XR Variant, minimum electronics + maximum suspension hardware + alloys

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 12:25   #15
BHPian

This is an excellent news for potential 390 Adv customers. Now one can customize almost ground up starting from adventure X with suspension upgrades/seat height lowering/spoke wheels etc etc. KTM has left no stone unturned for eliminating any excuse for a potential buyer to throw an excuse of not buying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks