Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 18:17   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
Any word on the tubeless setup on the bike? Or does it have the conventional tube system on it as well?
This has wheels that are not tubeless compatible and therefore there is a tube inside the tyres. The confusion was because the tyres themselves are tubeless compatible but the wheels.

Short point is it has a tube inside - its not tubeless. The good news is that the adjustable suspension itself is retrofittable to older 390s as well. So if your primary draw was the adjustable suspension and spoke wheels were secondary, you could explore what the cost of buying the normal alloy version would be along with retrofitting the adjustable suspension.

Alternately, you could consider some sort of jugaad tubeless conversion solution like outex etc which many have done to their spoke wheel bikes like T 120 etc. I’m not aware what the efficacy is - depends heavily on the quality and skill of the installation I believe.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Alternately, you could consider some sort of jugaad tubeless conversion solution like outex etc which many have done to their spoke wheel bikes like T 120 etc. I’m not aware what the efficacy is - depends heavily on the quality and skill of the installation I believe.
What about changing spoke wheels to alloys at a later point of time? It should not cost much, also seems the bike already comes with tubeless tires, that can be reused or the option can be considered on the next tire change.

I do not see the need for spoke wheels for most people as they would not be doing hard core offroading, but adjustable suspension is a good value add considering the condition of our roads and the default hard suspension of the bike.
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

I was at the media ride, and let me give a quick review - I will upgrade to the new suspension.

It would cost roughly INR 35,000 for both ends.
Here's the recommended setting, set considering rider weight range of 75 - 90 kg.

KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension-2023ktm390adv28.jpg
parrys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:00   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I was at the media ride, and let me give a quick review - I will upgrade to the new suspension.
Lovely. Who were you representing for the Media ride. I think the reviews are out as of 10 am today morning. Please do share your review on how the adjustable suspension felt compared to your older 390. Thanks

Makes a lot of sense for existing owners to buy the adjustable and plonk it on their existing 390s.
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Lovely. Who were you representing for the Media ride. I think the reviews are out as of 10 am today morning. Please do share your review on how the adjustable suspension felt compared to your older 390. Thanks

Makes a lot of sense for existing owners to buy the adjustable and plonk it on their existing 390s.
My own website...

HUGE difference. Once you set it up, it is fantastic. The difference you feel when making changes on the fly, justifies the price bump. The only downside is, anyone will come and play with the dials, and there is no indicator as to where the forks are set. So the paranoid ones (like ME) would end up doing the setting daily.

The rear rebound also helps, my old 390 ADV would bunny hop every time I would ride fast over a bump. The rear wheel now gets to the ground faster with the right setting, and I got better traction to go full gas.

My only suggestion at the ride was an optional, more comfort oriented seat. The 390 ADV is now almost perfect.

The suspension upgrade with my alloy wheel variant is just perfect. I might end up keeping the 390 ADV with this upgrade at least till 2025 now.
If someone gets the SW variant and then plans alloy wheels, that might cost roughly INR 20,000.

Last edited by parrys : 3rd June 2023 at 12:41.
parrys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Good updates and near perfect bike, KTM should have given an option of both Spokes and alloys in top of the line model. It is just an overhead expense for some one who wants an alloy, and then he can't even dispose off the Spoke wheels that easily.

I am very tempted to sell my Intereceptor and get this as my daily driver, but then that inline 2 cylinder is just amazing. I know I am comparing apples to peaches, but comparing just because I have Interceptor.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Good updates and near perfect bike, KTM should have given an option of both Spokes and alloys in top of the line model. It is just an overhead expense for some one who wants an alloy, and then he can't even dispose off the Spoke wheels that easily.

I am very tempted to sell my Intereceptor and get this as my daily driver, but then that inline 2 cylinder is just amazing. I know I am comparing apples to peaches, but comparing just because I have Interceptor.
I'm in the same boat, but other way round.
Even I want that RE Twin in my garage.
But nothing beats the FAST touring abilities of the KTM 390 ADV.

The spare spoke wheels will make for a good wall art
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But nothing beats the FAST touring abilities of the KTM 390 ADV.

The spare spoke wheels will make for a good wall art
Then you haven't toured on Interceptor, that engine is an absolute Gem, crusies effortjlessly 120-130 without any vibrations! I am thinking some off road exercise, but if it is a pure highway run and if I have both the bikes with me, I will anyday take the Interceptor, and I have ridden Duke 390 Adv also extensively.

As a single bike garage or if you have to pick one of the two, ADV 390 edges ahead because of the verstalitiy, but then it is almost a lac expensive also.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It would cost roughly INR 35,000 for both ends.
Here's the recommended setting, set considering rider weight range of 75 - 90 kg.

Attachment 2458564
Thanks for this!!
I was expecting this to be slightly lower, the price difference between the ADV standard and the SW is around 20K, and 35K just for the suspension sounds a bit steep.

I am looking forward to taking a test ride of the SW variant and then take a call on the replacement suspension. As of now basis of the review videos and your feedback I am more inclined to get this done.

Cheer

PS: Link to you site would be handy
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 12:01   #40
BHPian

Anyone thought of getting the basic adv x version and replacing with the sw adjustable suspension. 35k is on the high side too.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Anyone thought of getting the basic adv x version and replacing with the sw adjustable suspension. 35k is on the high side too.
Yes, I am planning on doing that. I am looking to replace my 5-year old Himalayan. Will be taking an extensive test ride sometime this month. From the money saved by buying ADV-X, I'll get the adjustable suspension as an extra.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 12:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Yes, I am planning on doing that. I am looking to replace my 5-year old Himalayan. Will be taking an extensive test ride sometime this month. From the money saved by buying ADV-X, I'll get the adjustable suspension as an extra.
Yes,that's what I thought exactly. Plus if we can sell the older unit somehow, would be good. May be unfortunate, but we do see dukes with damage owing to all the stunt bike usage.
Old 5th June 2023, 15:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
What about changing spoke wheels to alloys at a later point of time? It should not cost much, also seems the bike already comes with tubeless tires, that can be reused or the option can be considered on the next tire change.
Quote:
If someone gets the SW variant and then plans alloy wheels, that might cost roughly INR 20,000.
I think the hub for the alloy and the SW wheels are different and therefore, it may be tougher (or maybe not possible at all) to buy the SW version and swap out the wheels aftermarket to the alloys.

What should be possible instead I believe is buying the regular version and upgrading the suspension. I don't believe the exact parts price and compatibility sheet has come out yet but fingers crossed, this upgrade should be feasible. Its possible you'll need to change the side stand too if you change the suspension set up (both front and rear).
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 15:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Here are some numbers....

KTM launches 390 Adventure kitted with adjustable suspension-screenshot-20230604-5.31.49-pm.png
parrys is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 21:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Would also suggest a tire upgrade, as the MRF's do not have the best grip and the lack of MTC could mean quite few heart in the mouth situation during hard braking.

Most Viewed