Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Re: How I got bitten by the 2-stroke bug: Kirak, my Yamaha RX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Somewhere in his alien lair, boniver got signals from the cabal of two-strokes that phase one is successful, he should initiate phase 2. Man, this guy would do such great work being a propaganda artist, if he was not wasting time around OLX and FB marketplace looking for old two-strokes. But that is what he does, and the outcomes are hand-delivered to the WhatsApp chats of the active victim at that point of time - which was me.
Absolutely love how well-written this thread is, I haven't even gotten my license yet and I REALLY want an RX or AX, although convincing the home ministry is an impossible task which I will refrain from pursuing for now. Someday!

Many happy kms ahead for you and Kirak

Last edited by jono213 : 28th April 2023 at 16:18. Reason: punctuation
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:51   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How I got bitten by the 2-stroke bug
Beware - the itch of the 2-stroke bug is long lasting and contagious. Congrats on the RX100 Crankshaft, its really an amazing motorcycle. I love this color (blue is my favorite) - and I had plans to paint mine blue too, but didnt want to mess with the originality and the headache of getting it changed on the RC book. Hence stuck with the original black color.

A quick question - the place you bought your parts from - MR Automobiles - do they still stock original RX100 parts?
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congrats on the RX100 Crankshaft, its really an amazing motorcycle.
Thank you!

Quote:
A quick question - the place you bought your parts from - MR Automobiles - do they still stock original RX100 parts?
Some original, some look original but most likely aren't (package had newspapers inside for padding, can't be OE I think) and some they call out as third party (i.e. seat and carrier from the top of my mind)
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:58   #19
BHPian

Oh my god! What a story! Brings back lots of memories too, as I grew up admiring RX100s. My best friend was an RX nut, but his father flat out refused to buy it for him, so ended up buying a four stroke Yamaha Crux instead, but he was always an RX100 fan at heart. Looking at this post, I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief at the wreck you'd ended up picking up, but it was very heartening to see the work that went into it, and the results reached. You now have a superbly restored bike which is probably as close as possible to get to the real RX experience, without investing in a time machine. You also helped spread some moolah around, allowing a few hardworking mech-heads to make their monthly payments, so win-win! The final photos are a treat to see, and more than make up for the total disappointment of the first pictures and video.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 10:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the RX, wishing you loads of happy miles ahead.

Quote:
Beware - the itch of the 2-stroke bug is long lasting and contagious
Experience speaks

How I got bitten by the 2-stroke bug: Kirak, my Yamaha RX100-11b9f8f72b4ddb84a91850a28a855efe.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Reminds me to take the tarpaulin off my Supra and start it over the week end.
Please share some pics after you take the tarpaulin off, please!
Old 29th April 2023, 21:03   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for your new ride and more so because it's the iconic RX 100. Seeing its pitiable and doddering condition in which you had bought it, the restoration job undertaken shows total involvement and dedication of all concerned.The result is unbelievably superb. In it's previous state, some non -enthusiast buyer could have scrapped it, maybe after a few years of usage.

Only those who have or are still owning a RX 100 as true blue bikers will understand the passion, love and attachment one can develop with this miracle machine. Having owned one for 23 years, I can vouch for the passion, love and attachment I have with my bike (still with me). I own quite a few two wheelers. Occasionally one or two have issues. But my RX 100 is and has always ready for its duties, come what may. It's flawless and invincible.

Indian Auto Journal road tested this bike and published it in the September 1987 issue. In the road test, the author indicated that his bike was begging for higher acceleration in the top gear, while being driven in the lower cogs. This is one of the ways a RX 100 communicates with its rider. Yes, its a performance bike and no "run of the mill" commuter bike. In a subsequent issue of Indian Auto, two riders had written about their very long drive. They said they did 70-80 kmph on an average for the whole day during their long trip and their bike performed exceedingly well.

Gladly, spares are still not a major issue. I wonder how your out of shape petrol tank was brought back to it's shape. It's perhaps the most difficult component for such tinkering. Or did you buy a new one?

Wish you happy and safe riding.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th April 2023 at 21:23.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 12:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I wonder how your out of shape petrol tank was brought back to it's shape. It's perhaps the most difficult component for such tinkering. Or did you buy a new one?
I also wonder about the same, as I'm yet to meet the absconding painter I did not get a new tank. I'll inquire once I can catch a hold of that guy..
Old 1st May 2023, 18:00   #24
BHPian

Excellent thread and congratulations for acquiring a good looking bike. In due course you will appreciate the RX 100 for it's port job. 135, not so much. Stock rx100 ports are just so good at scavenging gas that 135 was a dead donkey even before firing up. Hope you got that sorted out, what engine you from finally got. No point having a very decked up and cosmetically pleasent looking bike when engine is just a big rattler with underperforming stats.
About time you also start to learning carb tuning and feed needle matching. Two stroke is a genre of music, enjoyed best when you know the notes.
HereticHermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:58   #25
BHPian

Congratulations and have a joyful ride!

Rx-100 is my first love and continuing! A 1993 model pre-owned after my studies in the year 2000. Rode it for more than a lakh miles, in between changed color twice, first with green\silver and later brown\gold shades. There is no competition for its lovely crisp beat sound. It is one of the Indian legendary bikes.

Present & past memories!

How I got bitten by the 2-stroke bug: Kirak, my Yamaha RX100-rx_100.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2023 at 11:19. Reason: ride > rode, removing unwanted dots (affects readability)
Rhinox~Cnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 17:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Blooming Flower is also making a RX100 build at his place.
Yes. My restoration is done in the last month. Check the pics from another thread I posted a reply to. Link (Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review)

I am not going to write an entire thread for the same, maybe due to inexplicable laziness. However, I am enjoying the ride at its best.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 11:14   #27

Lovely, lovely piece of writing, that! Almost Wodehousian stuff.
Never owned a 2 stroke but always admired the Yamahas, Suzukis and Kawasakis back then.
In fact, never ever owned a motorcycle till a year ago as one got married, practicality took over and a Bajaj scooter (more space for groceries as the world told me and I listened), followed by 4 wheelers were my automotive journey.
But, last year, gave myself a 50th birthday present and got myself a H'ness CB 350. So, though, I do not belong to the cabal of '2 strokers', the Honda gave me a fair idea of what you are talking about, in terms of that unexplainable love for motorcycles.
But, must say, though I vote for you on your choice of colour, I go with Mr. L's opinion on the carrier.
Keep riding safe, and more importantly, keep writing. Much like motorcycles, this art too rusts pretty quickly if left unused.
airavat@22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 21:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Wow, i too still own a Silver RX100, 27/04/1992. An auspicious date for me and i got married on the same day exactly three years later. Its lying unused ( since the last 5 years)with me in almost pristine condition. My wife keeps on telling me to give it away, and i keep procrastinating. Well. Ive finally decided to sell it only if i get a Thar rwd. That would be a worthy replacement !
I am a college going student having a great passion for rx100 would you sell it to me ??
Old 12th May 2024, 13:29   #29
BHPian

Great Post !!!
I am also looking out for a RX 100 in Kolkata. Can I get Mr Lalu's number or his Jagannath Garage Location?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks