Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 11:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My Suzuki Avenis scooter feels like a damp squib

To those who have a BS6 Avenis, I would like to hear your thoughts on couple of things as mine seems like a squib.

1. The 0-30 kmph pep is good. Then it slows down. Above 50, I felt it struggles, barely reaching 60-65. This is with ~140 kg load.

2. With 2 people riding, the rear suspension feels very soft giving the scooter a boat like handling.

3. Low beam is average and does the job in an unlit road. High beam is slightly worse than a pencil torch.

Our Avenis has done 400 kms till date and done with the 1st service. We never checked these parameters during the short test rides we had on the Avenis, Access, Jupiter 125 and Ntorq. Based on the test ride, Avenis felt like a good buy. Ntorq was slightly better but was loud and stiff.

Also must say that my experience with scooters has been very patchy. I ride my father's '17 Jupiter 110 and '12 Activa 110, a few times in a year. Both 'feel' much quicker than the 125cc Avenis, especially at the mid and top end.

I even see the delivery guys zooming away in their brand new scooters and wonder if mine has a problem.

Assuming BS6 Access has the same engine, their users can chip in too.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th April 2023 at 11:37.
ashis89 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Suzuki Avenis scooter feels like a damp squib

Thanks for sharing, ashis89! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
Old 18th April 2023, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Both 'feel' much quicker than the 125cc Avenis, especially at the mid and top end.
I ride a BS4 Access so can't directly comment on your questions but this line doesn't sound right.

Access 125 should feel better sprung and quicker than the Activa and faster than the Jupiter. This was true with BS4 and should be the same with BS6.
Reviews from members corroborate the same like this post by jithin23. (Retro-Modern Zippy | My New Suzuki Access 125 Review)

IMO the Avenis uses the same internals as the Access so should be the same barring minor adjustments to suspension tune and a different headlamp.

Hope it helps.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 03:55   #4
BHPian

I have the Access and the 2 things wrong with it is the hard shock absorber and the other is how difficult it becomes to ride with a pillion.

What is great is the engine, fast and refined and fuel efficient. Braking is good too. The service intervals is 3500 - 4000 kms.

My assumption was Avenis will be similar in experience.

Sorry about you experience with the Avenis.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2023 at 13:47. Reason: Typo
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 08:51   #5

Congratulations on the purchase and very sorry to hear about the experience.

I have a bs4 Access 125 and I find it pretty peppy for a single rider. The low end torque is pretty good and as you said it accelerates to 50kmph pretty quick. Suspension setup is good enough for a solo rider

Now with dual riders(85kg+62kg), there is a noticeable slowdown in acceleration but still is quick enough for overtakes. After 50kmph, the power kind of tapers down but still able to manage around 70kmph. Suspension is quite bouncy with pillion and as such I'd recommend not to overspeed. A sharp bump and the pillion will fly off the seat.

I'd say this is what is to expected out of scooter. Low end grunt is what is required out of a scooter which it delivers.
Sheogarath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To those who have a BS6 Avenis, I would like to hear your thoughts on couple of things as mine seems like a squib.
I think the problems you quoted will be definitely worse on an Activa.

The Access is a far superior product than the Activa and performs much better.

I think a scooter is not what you need, every non-geared vehicle will struggle with the performance expectations you have (140 kg load).

BS6 products might be a problem, as I have not used any BS6 scooters yet.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
3. Low beam is average and does the job in an unlit road. High beam is slightly worse than a pencil torc

Also must say that my experience with scooters has been very patchy. I ride my father's '17 Jupiter 110 and '12 Activa 110, a few times in a year. Both 'feel' much quicker than the 125cc Avenis, especially at the mid and top end.
Hello ashis89,
I am sorry that you had to face these issues in your avenis. My father bought an avenis in july '22 and I can confirm the problem with the headlights. These do feel terrible in a lit surrounding or even when there's oncoming traffic, it's just bad.

Coming to the performance, my father has a 2011 activa 110 too and now I can't ride that thing without complaining how slow it is every 10 seconds. The avenis is plenty fast. I do ride with a pillion almost everyday with the total weight of 150 kgs and the scooter reaches 70-80kmph without any issue. The suspension do feel soft sometimes but nothing too severe.

I hope this helps, wishing you all the best!
LBWKjesko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:

1. The 0-30 kmph pep is good. Then it slows down. Above 50, I felt it struggles, barely reaching 60-65. This is with ~140 kg load.
My recommendation would be to get the TPS checked. Probably try swapping the sensor or the throttle body from a different Avenis. If that doesn't solve the issue, try checking the Fuel Injector/ECU. What you have described seems like a problem that occurs on carburetted engines with choke on. Thus maybe the injector/ECU is at fault here.

What is the fuel efficiency that you are getting? Also does the exhaust has any distinctive sweet smell?
abhi9044 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Hi Ashis89, thanks for starting this thread. I too own an Avenis 125 BS6 variant, we have clocked around 490km on it and first service is over as well, so pretty much on the same ballpark. I will try to share my experience based on your pointers.

Point 1 : Never felt so till now. Its far more zippier when you're riding solo. With two up(~150), it takes a wee bit longer to get things going, but never felt underpowered. I mean, with that kind of load, one cannot expect it to go like a KTM. It can touch 65-70kmph pretty easily and a good twist of throttle is all it needs to get you out of tight situations. End of the day, it's a sportier looking Access125, not a performance scooter by any margin.

Point 2 : For me, the suspension is right where it should be. Neither too hard, nor too soft. With two up, the ride becomes plusher which is what is expected from a normal scooter? When I'm riding solo, I can feel every road undulation on my spine.

Point 3 : Fully agree. It doesn't serve its purpose by any margin, and aux lights are pretty much the need of the day.

If I may add one more point, it's the annoying body part rattles especially from the front. I got it tightened up from the service center, but it's still there and it can get annoying when youre riding at speeds of 15-20kmph. It goes away as the scooter picks up speed. But I guess that's expected from a lightweight scooter.

Otherwise pretty much satisfied with the scooter till now.

Last edited by ss11011988 : 19th April 2023 at 12:06. Reason: Posted by accidentally hitting the button.
ss11011988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. With 2 people riding, the rear suspension feels very soft giving the scooter a boat like handling.

3. Low beam is average and does the job in an unlit road. High beam is slightly worse than a pencil torch.
I have a 2022 Avenis 125. Good little scooter that I primarily bought for utilitarian purposes. I have to say that the Avenis has lived up to my expectations. I am scared to go beyond 60kmph on a scooter anyway. But Avenis is pulling good upto about 70-75kmph. It handles the load pretty well. Suspension is plush and it was one of the major deciding factor for me to choose Avenis over NTorq. Contrary to your experience, I found the low beam to be really good. High beam is not that great probably because of its low down placement. But no major complaints there.
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My usual ride apart from my bike is a Honda Activa 3G (for coparison).

But during my recent trip to Shillong, I rented a 2022 Avenis for 3 days and I covered about 450 kms on all sort of terrains during these 3 days. I rode it on good roads, twisty roads, bad roads (if you know the road to Dawki) and gradient roads. After putting it into all sorts of conditions, I have nothing but praises for this little wonderful thing. It handles beautifully on all road conditions & suspension set up is very good. Handling and braking imparts confidence even at high speeds which is unthinkable for me in the Activa. The Avenis is also very well equipped and returned wonderful FE. It beats Activa flat on almost all parameters.

Coming to the OP's post, I think the issue is vehicle specific. I found the Avenis very peppy. Yes, headlamps were not great but still better than my Activa 3G. So, please get it checked at the ASC and this might be due to some small issue which I hope gets sorted and you are able to enjoy this wonderful machine.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th April 2023 at 13:36.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well, 400 kays are way too low!

The Suzuki Access is a scooter that gives most commuter motorcycles a run for their money. Personally, have always favored the mid-range and the tapered top whack of the Access. The Avenis is the ditto of the Access when it comes to the powertrain. In fact, when I booked my Strom, there were more Avenis being sold than the Access.

The Avenis is comparatively smoother than the Access, at idle and very creamy to say the least. The Access has mild vibes during the initial pick up phase and then it's butter smooth. I am not sure how well you've compared this, I've ridden the Repsol Edition Dio and the Grazia 125 all BS6s, even with my weight of 78 kgs where I live, with a single guy both the Dio and Grazia struggled the climb a decent gradient. When inquired about the same, the technicians were very prompt is saying, sir BS6 scooters don't have the pick up of the carb/BS4 scooters and that's how they are from factory, and after first service the pick up slightly improves but they don't pack the punch of their BS4/carb counteparts.

My guess is your issue could perhaps not be an issue at all. The vehicle has clocked a tick over 400 kays and that's pretty much very low for a justified conclusion. My suggestion would be to wait for your first and second service to be completed, let the engine break-in and let the engine slowly open up, post which I feel your scooter will definitely live up-to expectations.

Take it easy, don't overload the scooter for now, open her up in highways if you possibly can, stick to the service intervals relgiously and let the vehicle clock more than 1.5k to 2k kms and perhaps
everything should be sorted.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th April 2023 at 15:58.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 16:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheogarath View Post
I have a bs4 Access 125 and I find it pretty peppy for a single rider. The low end torque is pretty good and as you said it accelerates to 50kmph pretty quick. Suspension setup is good enough for a solo rider
Agreed.

Quote:
Now with dual riders(85kg+62kg), there is a noticeable slowdown in acceleration but still is quick enough for overtakes. After 50kmph, the power kind of tapers down but still able to manage around 70kmph. Suspension is quite bouncy with pillion and as such I'd recommend not to overspeed. A sharp bump and the pillion will fly off the seat.

I'd say this is what is to expected out of scooter. Low end grunt is what is required out of a scooter which it delivers.
This is what I felt as well. I felt the delta between solo and dual riders was significant and was concerned. And yes, the bouncy suspension reminded me of the old Verna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think a scooter is not what you need, every non-geared vehicle will struggle with the performance expectations you have (140 kg load).

BS6 products might be a problem, as I have not used any BS6 scooters yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBWKjesko View Post
The avenis is plenty fast. I do ride with a pillion almost everyday with the total weight of 150 kgs and the scooter reaches 70-80kmph without any issue. The suspension do feel soft sometimes but nothing too severe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
Point 1 : Never felt so till now. Its far more zippier when you're riding solo. With two up(~150), it takes a wee bit longer to get things going, but never felt underpowered. I mean, with that kind of load, one cannot expect it to go like a KTM. It can touch 65-70kmph pretty easily and a good twist of throttle is all it needs to get you out of tight situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
But Avenis is pulling good upto about 70-75kmph. It handles the load pretty well. Suspension is plush and it was one of the major deciding factor for me to choose Avenis over NTorq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It handles beautifully on all road conditions & suspension set up is very good. Handling and braking imparts confidence even at high speeds which is unthinkable for me in the Activa. The Avenis is also very well equipped and returned wonderful FE.
I must be honest here - the last time I rode another scooter (the Activa and the Jupiter) was 4 months ago, so my reference is weak.

On this Avenis, I always ride(solo) sedately in the Eco mode and in the traffic. Never had a reason to complain until me and wife went out on some errands. In busy roads, it did close the gaps well and there was no road to accelerate any further. It is very responsive in the low end.

But in the late evening, the roads were free and traffic was fast moving. There were instances where I was climbing on to the Marathahalli bridge (against the gradient) or out of an underpass (again against the gradient) and I had to accelerate to make way for the Volvos. This is where I felt the scooter was slow in picking speed beyond 55-60 kmph. I didn't go beyond 67 as I ran out of free road but the question remained in my mind. The scooter sounds sporty and gives the impression of going fast which doesn't help with my expectations.

From all the responses above, the consensus is that the performance will be blunted with 2 people, how much is to be expected that I need to figure out after riding some more. I also need to redefine my expectations by riding few other scooters and preferably back to back!

Suspension is soft with load and I need to keep that in mind while going through the minefields called roads, in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
My recommendation would be to get the TPS checked. Probably try swapping the sensor or the throttle body from a different Avenis. If that doesn't solve the issue, try checking the Fuel Injector/ECU. What you have described seems like a problem that occurs on carburetted engines with choke on. Thus maybe the injector/ECU is at fault here.

What is the fuel efficiency that you are getting? Also does the exhaust has any distinctive sweet smell?
Been through 2 tankfuls so far and the FE is ~50 kmpl, so no complaints there. The scooter exhaust doesn't smell so it isn't running rich. Rather I was wondering if Suzuki has tuned it lean towards FE at the cost of performance. I will ride some more extensively as and when I get time. Probably a short solo and dual highway trip would be good to gauge the performance. If I still feel it is blunted, then a trip to the ASC will be taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The Avenis is comparatively smoother than the Access, at idle and very creamy to say the least. The Access has mild vibes during the initial pick up phase and then it's butter smooth.
That's the reason why my wife chose the Avenis even though I wanted the Access. This is her scooter and hence, her call.

Quote:
... first service the pick up slightly improves but they don't pack the punch of their BS4/carb counteparts.
I need to borrow my friend's BS4 Jupiter so I can compare.

Quote:
stick to the service intervals relgiously and let the vehicle clock more than 1.5k to 2k kms and perhaps
everything should be sorted.
Scooter is 2 months old and the first service was done at 250 kms. This will do ~150 kms a month and so, 2k kms is a long way down the lane. I hope I am over-reacting and also hoping the performance improves slightly in the upcoming months.

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th April 2023 at 16:34.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 15:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Ntorq was slightly better but was loud and stiff
I’m surprised you feel that way, or it may be your wife’s call on this as you said it was her purchase. My mother said the same about my fathers ntorq - heavy, stiff, loud. I don’t think so at all. For one I’ve always thought of getting a muffler delete on it - so that the sound can be a little more exciting. The suspension - well it will be a little stiff but will settle over time. The Ntorqs acclaim since 2019 as Scooter of the Year is just because of its ride and handling. Suspension is brilliant! Due to the small wheels one or 2 potholes may get in but most undulations are dismissed with aplomb. The lack of stiffness is where the Activa 125, even with larger wheels, fails miserably or in your Avenis, offers a spongy, unsettled ride. Apart from the Ntorq, Aprilia SR125/150 or the Aerox, I cannot ride any other scooter now. Feels too unsafe.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 22:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The scooter has done 900 kms and is done with the 2nd service too. A month ago, I made a discovery. Of my own foolishness. Being a backup ride and used for short rides occasionally, I had forgotten to check it's tyre pressure for a few months. Once I did (and it was very low), the pick up only improved and so did the handling. Per new routine, I will get the pressure checked during each refuel.

I haven't got a chance to take it to the highway and thought of a 100 km ride on a scooter doesn't entice me. That said, the engine has opened up and feels slightly more eager now. In open road stretches, it reaches 70-80 and does feel like having some more poke. That's enough for us. I realised the scooter is a short commuter and it shouldn't be any faster to keep us from getting tempted.

I have a new complaint for this squib - relatively less space on the front floorboard. Couple of months ago, I had taken the scooter to the daily market to get vegetables. I got my usual two bags of veggies and returned to the scooter. Then I realised I could barely fit 1 (big)bag on the front, let alone two. With great skills, I managed to squeeze one bag on top of other and hooked up. All through the 5km ride back home, my legs were protruding on either sides due to lack of space and also to protect the bags. Felt very unsafe that day.

I realised that I can fit only a week's worth of veggies out front on the scooter. So now I simply take the car every 2 weeks when I go to the market.*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I’m surprised you feel that way, or it may be your wife’s call on this as you said it was her purchase. My mother said the same about my fathers ntorq - heavy, stiff, loud. I don’t think so at all.
Individual preferences

I agree with my wife that the Ntorq is too loud for what's essentially a scooter. Four of my neighbours have one of those scooters and I can hear them leave from my 4th floor apartment. Not my cup of coffee. If I want a good exhaust note, I would prefer a bike with 500cc at least.

Quote:
Due to the small wheels one or 2 potholes may get in but most undulations are dismissed with aplomb. The lack of stiffness is where the Activa 125, even with larger wheels, fails miserably or in your Avenis, offers a spongy, unsettled ride. Apart from the Ntorq, Aprilia SR125/150 or the Aerox, I cannot ride any other scooter now. Feels too unsafe.
Agreed. And hence, I prefer to go very slow most of the times. All these years away from two wheelers and now it feels unsafe to be outside the cocoon of the car (my father was echoing this yesterday).

Aerox looks lovely and seeing one on the road always makes me sigh that I should have got it. But I reflect and realise that if I got the Aerox, I wouldn't have ridden any more than the 900 kms that we have done on this Suzuki. And without a flat floorboard, it was a no brainer rejection.

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th July 2023 at 23:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks