Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 13:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The motorcycle buyer's dilemma of 2023 | Which bike between 1.5 - 2.5 lakh rupees?

For Bengaluru's horribly bad roads I can only suggest Suzuki VSTROM 250. But the quality seems to be a mixed bag. Few are enjoying the bike, while few are having a terrible time. Take a TD and then decide.
Old 4th May 2023, 18:14   #32
BHPian

Re: The motorcycle buyer's dilemma of 2023 | Which bike between 1.5 - 2.5 lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For Bengaluru's horribly bad roads I can only suggest Suzuki VSTROM 250. But the quality seems to be a mixed bag. Few are enjoying the bike, while few are having a terrible time. Take a TD and then decide.
OP just picked up Apache as mentioned a post above!
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 13:26   #33

Which Comfortable Motorcycle for 3 Lakhs On-Road?

Hello bhpers. Having been merely a reader of these forums for a long while and nothing more, I've decided to emerge from the shadows and make my first post. A motorcycle purchase decision post, and further wanting to make a review post about said motorcycle in the coming months.

For some background, I am a college student who is looking to move away from my 2000 Hero Honda Passion. The bike has served my dad well for 14 years before upgrading to a 2014 Bullet 350. This same bike is the one on which I had learnt to ride and is now being ridden to college. The bike is however too old to justify keeping it maintained and is rather uncomfortable and unsafe on the weekly 65km trip from my college hostel to home and is unsuitable for any long trips with friends.

My dad gave off the Bullet to my cousin 2 years ago, thus having been left wanting a bike for some while. Therefore a decision to purchase a new motorcycle has been made, primarily used by me during week days for college and by him for weekends. The roles will change a few years down the line when I become independent and move away in search of greener pastures.

Our requirements were relatively simple:
  • 3 Lakhs should get us the bike home and must be brand new
  • Must be comfortable for a pillion
  • Mileage must be in the ballpark of 30-35, more is obviously better
  • Service Centers must be close-by and relatively accessible

And here are bikes I've looked at:

1. Royal Enfield Classic 350 / Bullet 350
'We've had a Bullet once, why buy another?' was my dads statement, and thus the bike was never considered seriously.

2. Honda H'ness CB350 / CB350RS / CB350
One of my dad's first choices was the H'ness. The bike looks great especially in the green anniversary edition colour, is torquey and is super refined with barely any vibrations. He really liked riding it though felt the long gearing to be cumbersome in city traffic.

Pros:
  • 20hp engine with 30Nm of torque pulls nicely at lower RPMs
  • Looker especially in the metallic green colour
  • Great NVH with negligible vibrations
  • Comfortable with a pillion
  • Traction Control is a welcome addition
  • 40Km/L mileage possible when you manage to engage the long 5th gear
Cons:
  • Long gearing is helpful on highways, but annoying in the city and takes away from the generous torque at lower RPMs. The super long 5th gear is practically unusable unless you have a long stretch of road.
  • Lots of stories of exhausts rusting, brake pads deteriorating after 5000Kms, and handlebar wobbling. This is a Honda with RE looks and unfortunately RE niggles?
  • Expensive for what it offers. Only the base model H'ness is reasonably priced at 2.5L OTR, and I'll be missing out on a good eye-catching colour. If I were to go for the RS or the CB350 price jumps to nearly 2.8L OTR for even the base model.
  • 6 month / 6000km service interval means the bike will frequent the service center a lot more than the others

3. Hero-Harley x440/Mavrick 440
The first bike out of the Hero-Harley partnership and it looks.. interesting to say the least. If I were to squint at it from the side it would look good, except I wouldn't be squinting at it everyday, and neither would anyone else be too. The engine is smooth and torquey but the rest is remarkably unHarley and more Hero.

Pros:
  • 27bhp 37Nm engine with a great exhaust note. Pulls easily at low and mid-ranges and likes to be revved out as well
  • Comfortable suspension and plush ride with a pillion
  • Good NVH with not many vibrations
  • Hero service centers are widespread and available in every nook and cranny
Cons:
  • Styling, the base Harley and Hero both have spokes and unflattering colours. The thought of being annoyed by the missing E on the big MAVRICK logo plastered on top of the tank is unpleasant to me.
  • Fit and finish, cost cutting is especially felt on the Hero with the switchgear and plastics.
  • Top variant Harley is far above budget, whilst top variant Hero is close to 3L and I don't see the value quotient

4. Triumph Speed 400
Triumph introducing the Speed at 2.33 ex-showroom was surprising. Authentic Triumph styling with great fit and finish and a strong punchy engine at a price that undercuts the competition was unheard of. I really like how it looks and the power on offer, only concern being the service centers.

Pros:
  • 40hp engine and with 30Nm of torque available just at 3000rpm this one feels quick
  • Great fit and finish, this feels nothing short of a premium motorcycle
  • Comfortable seating with room to move around and for a pillion too
  • Great suspension, took undulations and potholes super smoothly when I test rode it and Traction Control is a welcome addition
  • Feels very nimble and flickable
  • 16000km/annual service interval

Cons:
  • Average Mileage seems to be in the 25s
  • Lots of complaints about vibrations
  • Worried about the rather unknown and untested service network. Nearest service center is 65kms away. It is in the city where I go for college, so that seems workable.
  • Instrument Cluster doesn't seem calibrated enough, the fuel gauge kept showing different levels whenever I turned the bike on.

From these few options Speed seems like a great option except I'm afraid that the service experience might be terrible. The Honda seems to be a next best option but then it feels a little expensive for what it is. Harley/Hero has a good engine with comfy ride but styling remains a sour spot for me.

I'm open to your suggestions and any other bikes I should consider. I am also considering waiting for the upcoming Pulsar 400 and RE Roadster 452.

Thanks in advance!
asininite is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks