Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2023, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension

A week after getting the Aerox, I swapped out the stock suspension for this KTC Racing Extreme Black edition. Got them through an importer on our local Aerox group. I was advised to go for these instead of RCB MB2s, which are said to be firmer. These cost me ₹19,500 plus ₹300 for installation from FNG. They are definitely expensive, but they are fully adjustable. I am hoping I don't have to spend a dime more on a rear suspension for the next 10 yrs. And it's either spending on a good suspension or spending on chiropractor visits, so...

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension-20230409_144533.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension-20230409_145431.jpg

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension-20230409_145950.jpg

So far, I've tuned them to be just a hint lower than their softest setting. I also tried out the Yamaha recommended 29/33 setting for tire pressure (the showroom shipped the bike with 36/36!). Both of these combined have significantly improved my riding experience. The bike manages to absorb potholes better now on the same routes rather than send a jolt to my lower back.

I also got a front hook installed, just to aid in using this scooter on daily 2-min grocery runs. Not the best quality, but it gets the job done.

Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension-vlcsnap2023041014h18m48s286.png
quicksilver101 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 08:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension

Thanks for sharing, quicksilver101! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 08:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yamaha Aerox 155 | Improved ride quality from after-market KTC Racing Extreme Black suspension

Fantastic update Quicksilver.

Considering that the recent Aerox update did not deliver on its much anticipated suspension fix / upgrade, its great to see such aftermarket solutions being implemented by members.

For the foreseeable future, its clear that existing and prospective owners that have an issue with the harsh ride will have to take matters into their own hands through such aftermarket solutions. The good news of course is that SE Asia seems to be a paradise for the availability such kits so hopefully we’ll see more such custom mods being implemented and reviewed.

Good luck and do update us with the performance of this suspension over different riding conditions, both in city and touring conditions if possible.

Cheers.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 14:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Fantastic update Quicksilver.

Considering that the recent Aerox update did not deliver on its much anticipated suspension fix / upgrade, its great to see such aftermarket solutions being implemented by members.

For the foreseeable future, its clear that existing and prospective owners that have an issue with the harsh ride will have to take matters into their own hands through such aftermarket solutions. The good news of course is that SE Asia seems to be a paradise for the availability such kits so hopefully we’ll see more such custom mods being implemented and reviewed.

Good luck and do update us with the performance of this suspension over different riding conditions, both in city and touring conditions if possible.

Cheers.
Yes haha. I took delivery of my Aerox on 2nd April, knowing fully well that an OBD2 refresh was either going to be announced (or the scooter would have to be discontinued, which didn't seem logical considering how well it has been received beyond Yamaha's expectation). The dealer's meet happened on 6th April, and I heaved a sigh of relief that I won't get buyer's remorse within just 4 days of purchase.

But at the same time, the suspension is the number 1 weak point of this scooter and its surprising they did absolutely nothing about it. It performs very poorly on weights under 100kg, and with Mumbai roads, I could very noticeably feel jolts to my lower back once I did a few cross-city runs. Yamaha should most definitely look at offering some solution. They used to offer a different suspension as an accessory, but that has since been delisted.

I've spent about 3 days with the new suspension and some time tweaking it. It's preload, compression, and rebound adjustable. I would consider myself an amateur in the world of aftermarket suspensions, so it's taking some trial and error for tuning. I started off with the softest setting combination, but I've gradually moved forward to firmer settings closer to the halfway mark. On all the short sprints I've done in the past three days, the Aerox feels a whole lot more forgiving to the back, almost like it's an Access or an Activa (but with that absolute Aerox punch). I'd love to see how well it does on longer sprints once I get the first service done in three weeks.

Based on my short experience, I would strongly recommend prospective customers budget for a suspension swap right off the bat. I don't think you need to get this exact suspension; a cheaper one should do fine as long as it is softer than the absolute piece of wood that Yamaha ships with.
quicksilver101 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:07   #5

Hi quicksilver101,

I was looking around to upgrade the rear suspension of my Classic 500. Can you share from where did you purchase the shocks ?
Old 13th April 2023, 13:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveboost View Post
Hi quicksilver101,

I was looking around to upgrade the rear suspension of my Classic 500. Can you share from where did you purchase the shocks ?
I bought it from a local Aerox owner in Mumbai who is also reselling these imported pieces as a side business. I am not sure if the forum rules allow me to post more information about him.

The person is currently limited to Aerox parts and imports them from SEA for reselling. I don't know if you will get a Bullet suspension from him.

What will help you is looking around on Facebook and Instagram for local bike groups. There's bound to be a seller there.
Old 28th April 2023, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver101 View Post
And it's either spending on a good suspension or spending on chiropractor visits, so...
Now that you have spent some time with the new shocks. How is it?
When compared to stock, and for city drives daily?
Old 29th April 2023, 20:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Now that you have spent some time with the new shocks. How is it?
When compared to stock, and for city drives daily?
Noticeable difference, especially for solo riding in pothole-ridden city. It has decent-enough stiffness to not feel spongy and wobbly at high speeds and good roads. But more importantly, it can bounce well when you slow down and have to go through craters and speed breakers. I have the suspension set to the softest setting, and preload is adjusted to about halfway (a tad high for solo, but I have pillion also sometimes and it was bottoming out frequently, so needed some balance between the use cases).

I can't say if you can get the same results with a cheaper suspension since this is the only suspension I bought and intend to keep. But I am fairly content with my purchase. I plan to keep the Aerox as long as I can keep it, so the ₹20k purchase on its first week will pay dividends over many years.

Also, it looks damn nice. Combined with the overall looks of the Aerox and some stickers etc that I have added, I get compliments and questions every time I do a cross-city run.
quicksilver101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Noticeable difference,
May I please have the contact for the person who sells the suspension?
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutfrombanga View Post
May I please have the contact for the person who sells the suspension?
I bought them from Mani Ahuja in Mumbai. He is a fellow Aerox owner and enthusiast who gets parts from abroad. I met him and took his assistance in getting it fitted from his local mechanic. You can reach out to him on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/mani_ahuja/

There are others who also sell suspensions. Hypertourer and aerox_chennai are two others on Instagram who I trust and recommend.
quicksilver101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A week after getting the Aerox
After a year of ownership, do you feel Aerox was a better choice over an Ather? Different segments but on par with fun quotient.
Old 26th May 2024, 13:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
After a year of ownership, do you feel Aerox was a better choice over an Ather? Different segments but on par with fun quotient.
For me, yes 100%. It's just as fun as the Aether (maybe a tiny bit under? But you wont notice unless side by side). I don't have the charging infra at my residence, and so an electric just isn't practical for me. With the Aerox, I've had a lot of worry-free rides where I just full tank as soon as I go down to the last bar in the tank, which wouldn't have been possible.

The Aerox also holds higher speeds like 90-100kmph (my max ever) more confidently than the Aether. The bigger tyres are also more comfortable for me in Mumbai to manage potholes etc. The modding potential of the Aerox is also more fun for me as I've done plenty of changes to my scooter.

So overall I am very happy with it. This serves my current fun+practical needs very well. I still long for an Aether, but in a more "I want to add that in my garage too" way and not as a "I regret buying Aerox over Aether" way
quicksilver101 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks