Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 01:55   #1
BHPian

Sorry state of motorcycle showrooms in Chennai

I have been on a hunt to replace my existing motorcycle which is now going to hit its 15 year mark, but still runs fuss free and it sips petrol. A full tank of fuel is good enough to last me for an entire month of running errand and my office runs.

I have been occasionally calling up dealers and trying to get a test ride, but today decided to step up the search and get some actual footwork done.

Spoiler: Based on what I encountered today save for Honda and RE no other manufacturer (exclude TVS as there was no vehicle in the TVS stable fitting my requirement) is even taking an effort to move their higher capacity bikes, No TD Vehicles in most of the showrooms or one TD vehicle for the entire city of Chennai.

So if you are in Chennai and are on the lookout for any of these bikes call up the dealer to get the quote no point going to the showroom and wasting your time. (please spare roasting me , I learnt my lesson the hard way, but I anyways had time to kill)

So here is what happened :

1. Suzuki Motors - Aaravika Suzuki (V-Storm 250 SX)

Called them in the afternoon, they confirmed that they had a test drive vehicle , let them know that i would be coming in the evening.

(Drumroll please) The test drive Vehicle was sent to another showroom when right before i arrived.

The other showroom where the bike was taken to is where I had originally enquired for a TD , I was informed that I will get a call as soon as they have the bike, after a whole month am still waiting for that call.

2. Yamaha - SRI Motors (Blue Square) Ashok Pillar (FZ- 250 & Aerox 155)

Enquired about the FZ -250 , got the price verbally , again no TD for both the vehicles, and this the Blue Square showrooms that Yamaha have been promoting for customer Experience.

3. Yamaha - Sri Motors Porur (FZ- 250 & Aerox 155)

Completely disinterested in engaging with an customer, went to the showroom twice, no TD vehicle , gave them my contact details also had enquired about exchanging my old Vehicle , haven't even heard back from them yet.

4. KTM - EKR Plaza KTM Ashok Pillar ( ADV 250 & Duke 250)

Duke 250 was available for TD, was given a quotation for the bikes, but the ADV 250 was not available for TD , the only TD vehicle was a ADV 390 and that too was somewhere in another showroom all the way at the other end of the city (read OMR).

5. Bajaj - Jai Bajaj - ( Dominar 400 )

No Test drive Vehicle. Walked in saw the display vehicle, asked for the price, got the price verbally and walked out. ( The fastest enquiry yet).

6. Honda BigWing - SVM Motors Saidapet- (CB 350 RS & CB 300R)

I was riding away the TD bike (CB 350 RS) under 5 minutes of me setting foot in the showroom, skipped the CB 300R since there is already one in the family.

This was probably the best service that I had gotten today, so much so, I almost ended up putting a deposit for the bike , save for the home minster not making up her mind on the color and the timing not being astrologically good. Will be going back to finish the booking. P.S another factor was that they also offered me the best price for my old ride.

7. Royal Enfield - Sri Velavan Motors (Hunter 350 & Meteor 350)

Again the same experience as before , not as quick as the Honda, but i did get a TD of both the vehicles, had the vehicle configured and the quote and other details sent to my mail.

Prompt response and except for the Super Meteor all the other vehicle's were present for TD.

Special Mention :
Kawasaki - JMB Kawasaki - ( Z 650 RS )
No TD vehicle, was specifically told that , they would not be giving a vehicle for TD if I wanted , i can test drive the Ninja 300 and make my decision.

I would like to hear your opinion on TD vehicle availability with various manufacturers, i understand its not feasible for a manufacturer to have TD vehicles at all dealerships, but attest a set of dealers or even 1 in an fixed radius must have all the bike or be able arrange for a TD on customer's request.

@Mods : Kindly to move to the appropriate thread.
al90 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 17:56   #2

re: Sorry state of motorcycle showrooms in Chennai

Being a motorcycle enthusiast myself, I find it so hard to get a hands on TD vehicles in Chennai. The companies should definitely make sure that a customer gets to experience the product and take the right decision. There is also this practice where the dealers often assign the TD vehicle to the customers.
Aniruth P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:32   #3
BHPian

When I wanted to test ride the Honda 350 and the Interceptor 650,i got test rides immediately. Honda experience was the best. Royal Enfield gives test rides but within the campus, and, the test ride vehicle would not even shift to second gear and above. Since I had already made my decision to buy the interceptor, it was not much of an issue. I guess all the manufacturers want you to commit your hard earned money without even a test ride!!
Old 9th April 2023, 20:41   #4
BHPian

Though this thread is about experiences exclusive to Chennai, there's another thread titled "Pathetic state of affairs at 2-Wheeler showrooms in India" which talks about experiences across whole of India.

Maybe Team-BHP Support/Moderator team might want to move this thread and replies to the above thread link.
Old 9th April 2023, 23:40   #5
BHPian

My last 8 yrs experience about test driving different brand vehicles in Chennai,

KTM - Went couple of times in Adayar showroom and TD vehicle was available in all Duke street versions. But it was not the case with Semmanchery showroom.

Honda - Be it a activa or CBR 250 no TD available. And especially for CBR the response from the Perungudi showroom was, it’s a powerful bike and customers don’t use to it and hence TD is not allowed. Ridiculous

RE - Visited Velachery showroom once when the Himalayan was launched, TD vehicle was available and happy with their support even though at the time they had lot of customers queuing to see the Himalayan.

Suzuki - Visited couple of showrooms and got TD in Kelambakkam(Now it’s closed). I purchased the vehicle from OMS madipakkam. Their customer support is good but No TD vehicle. Thanks to the Sales representatives attitude in Honda showrooms. We were considering Activa and Access 125 and finally got Access 125. Decision made as we got a chance to ride the scooter.

Benelli - They are courteous and had TD available for almost all bikes at sales. I took TD of Benelli 250.

Kawasaki - I was looking for a Ninja 300 but as it was re launched at the time, so no TD available. JMB Sales executive casually suggested about 650 and TD was available even though it’s a short distance where in that route you can’t experience what the bike is capable of. And I end up buying a 650.

Out of all, Kawasaki is the only showroom where they will allow TD if you are in basic riding gear - Helmet and Shoes. Not sure whether it’s Kawasaki or JMB policy.
Kashief is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:02   #6
BHPian

I rented an Interceptor 650 in Bangalore in 2019 before taking the plunge. The best way to buy a motorcycle would be to request somebody you know for a joy ride or rent one if it's available.

By renting I had an extended test ride in all conditions at my own pace, without any guilt which helped me in making a decision.
adrift@life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:16   #7

Even i had a very bad experience while trying to get test rides from the cluster of showrooms at Ashok Pillar / Ekattuthangal. However when i had gone a year back, the folks at sri motors ( Yamaha) were quite helpful and offered TDs. But the way KTM and Suzuki salesmen treated us was pathetic, the latter would be my most hated showroom experience.period.
KP56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 16:42   #8
BHPian

Re: Sorry state of motorcycle showrooms in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
Special Mention :
No TD vehicle, was specifically told that , they would not be giving a vehicle for TD if I wanted , i can test drive the Ninja 300 and make my decision.
This seems so funny to me and it made me chuckle. Offering no test ride is one thing but asking me to base my decision on the test ride of a different vehicle is on a whole new level.
Old 10th April 2023, 18:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
Special Mention :
This truly takes the cake
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 00:44   #10

I have no idea why Aaravika messed up like that. They gave me TD of Gixxer 250 naked and Vstrom Back to Back no restrictions. though this was on a weekday morning around 10:30 AM. ended up buying Vstrom from them.
Dosanova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 02:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosanova View Post
I have no idea why Aaravika messed up like that. They gave me TD of Gixxer 250 naked and Vstrom Back to Back no restrictions. though this was on a weekday morning around 10:30 AM. ended up buying Vstrom from them.
It has been a terrible experience for me with them, call it bad timing or bad service, I went to the Ashok pillar showroom again on Friday, ended up waiting with my wife and kid for almost 20mins, no TD,and all they literally had to do was to have my ID proof and just give me the keys, fortunately this time the bike was at the showroom was was atleast able to sit on it, the sales guy told me to give a call around 5, but i couldn't follow up due to other commitments. I would chalk this visit more to bad timing since it was Tamil new year and they were in the midst of new deliveries.
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosanova View Post
@Dosanova How is the Vstrom , you would have had the experience of dealing with their service center by now, would like to know what is your feedback of the bike now that you have spent sometime with it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks