Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 05:49   #1

Playing music on motorcycle rides

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to play music on my bike rides. I have got a boat usb speaker that i used for travelling but the sound is totally suppressed by my bike(RE desert storm 500) @speed>50. So essentially I end of no music during most of my ride.

I am looking for recommendations on
  • speaker that can be heard over my bikes sound or
  • preferably earphone that is suitable to be worn under the helmet for long rides.

Thanks
BoB
Bihari_on_bike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 14:20   #2
BHPian

re: Playing music on motorcycle rides

Great thread! It reminds me of my Ladakh trip in 2019 on a Classic 350. I used a JBL speaker that I tied to the front handlebar near the mobile holder, and the sound was enough for me as there wasn't much sound outside in such areas. However, within the city, I hope you don't get caught by the police for causing a nuisance. This can be used for long rides.

Here's the link to the JBL Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker: Click here

You can also go for this if you think you need more sound: Click here

Both of these are Bluetooth speakers and will have enough charge to play for around 12 hours, and I hope you won't ride the bike more than that.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 02:44   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Speakers are ideal but if you aren't keen on installing them then go for a good set of earphones. If you've got a helmet that fits tight (as it ought to) then something small will be required with a good level of passive noise cancellation. Can pick from the Etymotic or Shure range both work well with snug fit helmets and add a good layer of noise insulation.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 04:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

I feel its a public nuisance to be blaring a speaker on your motorbike to listen to music (same opinion of people who do this in their cars with their windows down). Its your music, playing for you alone. It should be audible only to you ideally.

There are plenty of Bluetooth communication systems of varying price points that can be installed on your helmet, with the speakers in the recess within the helmet. Please choose one of your liking and budget and listen to music via that if you must.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th April 2023 at 07:36.
Axe77 is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 04:57   #5

Thanks @raptor_diwan and @IshaanIan for the comments and I too prefer earphone over speakers. Will update on what I end up buying.
Old 6th April 2023, 09:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I feel its a public nuisance to be blaring a speaker on your motorbike to listen to music
Apart from being a nuisance to other users, don't how much quality music you would be able to listen?

Since you are on a long trip on good highways, triple-digit speeds would always be on the cards. At such speeds, wind noise would be a huge concern.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:17   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Playing music on motorcycle rides

Earphones are best suited to what you are looking for. However, on a motorcycle, this can be dangerous if it blocks out noise from other vehicles.

Do what I do in my open '97 Jeep = I plug a earphone in just one ear. I usually place a single earphone in my left ear for music, while the right ear is free to listen to traffic / road sounds.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:31   #8
BHPian

I have seen Ola scooters playing out music through loud speakers as they are being ridden. May be its not too late that other manufacturers also provide that option soon.
Old 6th April 2023, 14:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bihari_on_bike View Post
preferably earphone that is suitable to be worn under the helmet for long rides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
There are plenty of Bluetooth communication systems of varying price points that can be installed on your helmet, with the speakers in the recess within the helmet.
+1

You should get a BT system. Most of us have Sena units: 30K / 50S, mainly for the Mesh intercom. The Sena units are pricey (50S can be 25k+) so if you don't need the intercom facility (if you ride solo), you can look at cheaper options such as Parani. They'll double up with the phone BT connection so you can take/make phone calls, via voice command.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:21   #10
BHPian

I've been using Using Samsung buds Live, they sit flush in my ear and are not in ear types so they don't block out the traffic noise and with no stem sticking out it's easier to wear the Helmet or remove it.

Airpods style earbuds tend to fall when wearing or removing the helmet and the in-ear style would start causing pain in a few hours, so it's Samsung buds Live for me.
Old 6th April 2023, 15:53   #11
BHPian

You can use the below. However, You may not be able to leave the helmet unattended.

https://www.tvsmotor.com/shop/mercha...620f78eca366db

This is essentially a rebadged version of Bluarmor device.

https://thebluarmor.com/products/c30...ication-device
Old 6th April 2023, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bihari_on_bike View Post
  • preferably earphone that is suitable to be worn under the helmet for long rides.
I'd suggest the Samsung Buds 2 Pro. Its got an Ambient Sound mode which basically amplifies the surrounding sounds and feeds it through. You can listen to music while still being aware of surroundings.
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 16:34   #13
BHPian

What about a pair of earbuds with a sound through feature like the Jabra Elites? I had a pair of 65t and I'd put only one earphone in, and turn on the soundthrough feature.
This would basically allow outside sounds in, while still letting me listen to my music.

Was a huge help, both on the bike, and while out on runs.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:31   #14
BHPian

Buds and earphones will cause ear pain on longer rides no matter what the manufacturer is. Your best bet is Sena/Scala (if you have the budget to splurge). Their speakers fit snugly in the speaker pockets of most helmets. They have decent battery backup as well. You can control song changes, volume by the dial present on it. Very convenient to use. If you are on a limited budget I suggest to look for Parani headsets. I am using one (though not for music but intercom).
Dodge_Viper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 21:07   #15

Thanks all. For now I have chosen to go with Samsung live buds,

- Based on review it is very comfortable and unlike a earplug doesn't cause pain in ears
- Long battery life
- Not very heavy on the pocket.

For now, this should suffice but will upgrade to something like smartconnectX in future

Thanks
BoB
Bihari_on_bike is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks