Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2024, 10:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
I tried enquiring today at few showrooms for getting Yamalube Chain Lube, one of them mentioned no stock while the other two, were doubtful whether chain lube can be provided as spare directly without them doing it. Did you get yours online or from showroom when you used the Yamalube one?

Now I want a paddock lock too! Proper Race Bike Vibe.

Advanced Birthday wishes to yours from mine! Mine will turn two this Oct too. I totally resonate your thoughts and feel of the machine. I hope you get a chance to experience it on track too. I am sure you will fall in love even more!
@R15M_Rider thanks for the wishes, buddy!

Yes, I got my first set of Yamalube Chain Clean and Chain Lube from Yamaha Service Center, Kasaragod. It is even available in Amazon but I cannot risk buying products like this from any online reseller. Since the ASC openly sold me what I wanted, I did not rely on online platforms.

Hitting the tracks has been in my mind since the day 1 of ownership. But in the first one year, my schedule was busy due to work and last year, I was bedridden for almost 5 months due to Pilonidal Sinus treatment and restrictions. I am patiently waiting for Yamaha to organize a track day anytime soon at Bengaluru. Hoping to attend track day soon, fingers crossed!
sasta_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 22:00   #32
BHPian

I dropped my R15 (unknowingly):

This happened today! Today was a special day for me: first day at my new company. After a long commute from Bommasandra to ITPB, Bengaluru, I stopped near the Gate 2 of ITPB because I am new to the tech park. As I entered the gate, the security asked me to provide few basic details and then proceed further. So, as per their advise, I parked my R15 on the side to avoid blocking the incoming vehicles.

Everything was fine: I slowly entered the entrance, parked as per security's advise, kill switch off, ignition off, stand in place and then I got off the bike. As I walked few steps towards the security gate, "Thuddd". I saw back, only to see her lying on the area with the left fairing kissing the ground along with the side step of the footpath!

I trusted the frame slider, immediately went back, lifted the bike and positioned a little better than before. What was my mistake? I parked the bike in a forward incline, in neutral and handle bar away facing towards the slope. Lesson learned.

After I gave the details to the security, came back to proceed to the parking. Ignition on, but wait, fuel pump is lit (amber). I turned the ignition off, switched it on again and the error still exist. I tried giving the self, but the bike failed to start. Embarassment at its peak: all the passersby are looking at an idiot who just messed up with his love. And, amidst all this, I could not spare time to look at the damage that fall had made and did not want to ruin my mood for the entire day!

Instead of waiting for some time & tilting the bike to the left, I took my phone, called one of the service advisors at Vinayak Yamaha, Domlur to ask what can be done temporarily to start the bike? I explained step by step what happened, he then advised me to put the bike in second gear and jump start. I approached the security, they denied because that was not part of their duty. Nevermind. I pulled the bike outside the ITPB gate and asked a stranger to give the bike a slight push from behind so that I can jump start. He was a little hesitant but when he came push, the fule pump light was no longer there and the bike came to life when I self started! Happy me, thanked the stranger and entered the tech park gate again. I was slowly moving with inertia due to slope, the bike stalled again and the fuel pump light popped. This time, I was away from the security gate and towing back all the way back was not best idea. Because, my reporting time on Day 1 was just 20 mins away. I rang the SA again, and he said that wait for some time and self start. Then, go on a small spin for maybe 2-3 km. If everything is good, then nothing should happen. Waited for some time, titled the bike towards the left thinking the fuel supply will be improved! Voila, it did start this time. I never let the bike go idle till I reached the parking spot. Heck, how worse a good day can turn if your beloved machine gives up!!

By EOD, I was returning towards the parking spot with prayers in my mind. If the bike does not start this time, I will have to take it to Domlur and then somehow travel to Bommasandra. But, gracefully, the bike roared with the first self. Before self start, I checked if the error light shows up and it didn't. Happy me.

After reaching to my brother's place, I looked for all possible damages only to find these:
  • The left frame slider was bent (towards the sky)
  • The left handle bar tip had some mud from the ground.
  • The clutch lever's end was a little scraped (no bends thankfully).
  • Left pillion footpeg's tip was slightly bent.
  • The major one: the gear lever had bent towards the engine by a small amount. I could feel difficulty reaching the gear shifter than normal.

Now, I need to get my bike inspected by the SA at Vinayak Yamaha. And, I really appreciate the way the SA assisted me to troubleshoot at that situation of mine. If it were other Yamaha dealers (whom I know), would have said "Sir, bring the vehicle to our place. We will inspect and inform you!". And, I am planning to replace the gear shifter eventhough the SA had said that the bend can be "corrected" which I don't prefer. Also, I am planning to go back to Kerala this weekend, so I do not want to risk myself with a damaged gear shifter / corrected gear shifter.

Below are some images of the damage that I clicked after I reached home:

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-gearshifter.jpg
I believe the bend can be figured out with this angle but yes, it is not normal at all.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-fairinghandle.jpg
I do not wish to spend money to fix damages like this, unless it compromises my safety!

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-frame-slider.jpg
The frame slider took the major impact. Else, you would have got to see the bent/broken left side fairing!

I had corrected the frame slider position with some downward force as soon as I lifted the bike. So, in the pic above, it is visible in normal position.

But, this is how life is! When you have something good happening, the bad too exist between those moments. And, show must carry on!

Ending this post with a heavy heart!

Ride safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 19:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasta_rider View Post
The left frame slider was bent (towards the sky)
The left handle bar tip had some mud from the ground.
The clutch lever's end was a little scraped (no bends thankfully).
Left pillion footpeg's tip was slightly bent.
The major one: the gear lever had bent towards the engine by a small amount. I could feel difficulty reaching the gear shifter than normal.
Really sorry to hear that. This is very similar with something that happened on my R15M some months back, as well. But for me it happened on a usual flat surface with no incline intact in my own parking lot! I guess that might make you feel a tad bit better in a weird way. All because I didn’t fully extend the stand . I had left the bike and went upstairs and when I came back, I first didn’t notice anything. Then I sat on the bike and almost exactly like you described, the gear shifter was bent in. I wasn’t able to shift! I was absolutely losing it. At first I thought someone might have pushed it. But the watchman mentioned there was a strong breeze and he heard a big thud and then saw the bike lying on the side. He just lifted it up. That time I was finding it hard to believe that, sometimes I still do, just my bad luck in the end I guess. My dad used a spanner and pulled the lever a bit and thankfully that did the trick. It went back to the original position. Phew! That was scary indeed! Apart from that scratches and almost identical scuffing on the clutch lever as seen on yours. Still it hurts a bit whenever I see it even today.
Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-img_1743.jpeg

Mine also didn’t and still does not have a frame slider so that could’ve probably saved me few scratches on the fairing. Probably might consider it.
R15M_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 22:07   #34
BHPian

Visiting Motoworld, Chandapura did not go well!

As mentioned in the #32 (Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report) post of this thread, I had dropped my 2 year old R15 (unknowingly) recently.

Yesterday (13-Apr-2024), I decided to take her to the nearest Yamaha (which I don't do usually when Vinayak Yamaha, Domlur looks after my R15) to get the bent gear shift pedal replaced with a new one so that I can be ready for the Bengaluru-Kasaragod ride on 14-Apr-2024 (today). Along with this, I had requested for a paid wash and chain clean, chain tight and chain lube. Since my stay was at Bommasandra, I did not have the energy to get this task done from Domlur due to the scorching heat.

Pre-text about MotoWorld: when I was staying at a PG in Indiranagar, I had met a fellow R15 rider since we both had the same machines. That's how we became a little close and even used to hangout in city with our blue whales. He had the worst delivery experience with MotoWorld, and after we met, I suggested him about Vinayak Yamaha and he was impressed with one of the periodic services. (Please note: I am not at all endorsing Vinayak Yamaha in any manner nor did they request me to praise them.)

Before visiting, I had enquired about the availability of the part. They did confirm that they had it in stock and I assured them that I will be at the location on 13-Apr-2024 morning. I felt, maybe they have changed than what my friend had described before. Good for them! Since this was a minor repair which does not require one complete day, I landed there at 11 am. The SA was not 'excited' to know the customer and their problem, get the job card done and provide a good service experience. They seemed to least bother about any of the customers in fact. After I interrupted one of the SAs, one guy took up my case, started the job card and handed over the acknowledgement receipt. Before leaving, I had requested him to get this job on priority since I have a confirm plan to ride to Kerala the next day. He did not assure me anything but on the acknowledgement, the delivery date as "13-Apr-2024". I was happy, thinking they would be calling me once the job was done.

What followed?
I knew few Yamaha service centers (and dealers) are least bothered about anything. So, the same day, at around 03:30 pm I called them and the conversation followed like this:

Me: Hello, is the R15 v4 (blue color with KL registration) ready for delivery?
SS (Service Center): Which color sir, white FZ?
Me: --what is even wrong with them?--
SS: Oh, blue R15. Sir, you can collect it tomorrow morning! (and was about to cut the call)
Me: Hello! I had asked you for delivery today itself and only after assurance I agreed to give the vehicle to you. Please get this job done today by EOD, as I have to travel to hometown (Kasaragod) tomorrow.
SS: Ok sir, come and collect at 06:00 pm.
Me: Thank you! (hung up the call)

If she agreed to complete the job today, then why did she say to collect the vehicle the next day morning? Is this a sign of lethargy, lack of interest towards work and poor customer experience? Indeed yes!

As discussed with the SS, I reached the service center at 05:30 pm (yes, I do have this habit of reaching a place before time, thanks to OCD). As soon as I entered, I could see my R15 standing, ready to be delivered. I went and inspected before making the payment. Everything looked good to me. I let the bad experience go and was happy with a shining bike with a new gear shift lever!

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-topview.jpg
If you see the post 32, the lever was bent towards the engine. Now, this is how it should be (normal).

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-sideview.jpg
The previous pedal had wear and tear marks. This is the new part, which means, they did replace the old one, thank god!

I am a person who blindly trust any ASC, provided they take care of my vehicle as I expect. But, experience with MotoWorld was new to me. I did a mistake during the delivery. I should have inspected my bike in a little more attention to detail: check chains (lubed and cleaned or not), check for any loose bolts or any signs which should not be seen on a delivery bike from an ASC.

Today, while riding back to my hometown (detailed ride experience in this thread (Long Ride on my Yamaha R15 v4 | Kasaragod-Bengaluru-Kasaragod)), I took a break to get hydrated with tender coconuts at Srirangapatna. My usual place to have some good tender coconut enroute. The background was a lush green field, I felt like capturing R15. When I was reviewing the pic (under bright sunlight), I could see the rear side of the skid plate (accessory) is hanging. Immediately, I realised it was not normal and this can endanger me during any phase of my ride. Holy cow! I went closer, inspected and found out that the rear bolt nut holding the skid plate to the silencer pipe is missing.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-skidplateboltmissing.jpg
The circled part ring holds to another ring (behind the arrow) using a nut and bolt.

I tried recalling what might have happened during this minor service experience with MotoWorld. After few seconds, I found what caused this.

Skid plate comes as an accessory. I had put this in my cart during the first service of my R15 with Vinayak Yamaha. If an R15 has a skid plate installed, then the ASC personnel should remove the skid plate partially. Why? To install the double stand for lubing and cleaning the chain. After this, the ASC personnel should carefully fit back the skid plate in place. What might have happened at MotoWorld? I again have an answer to this.

From the time I entered their service area, I could hear loud music (local songs) being played. Mechanics doing their work, but can they concentrate? I have the answer for that. Before cleaning, the ASC personnel did remove the bolt nut of the skid plate. If they have removed, then they did clean and lube the chain (I had confirmed this during delivery). But, some distraction in the service area might have drawn the mechanic's attention elsewhere and he did not tighten the bolt nut to the recommended torque, leaving it loose. Being a loyal customer of Yamaha, I never even imagined that such minor mistakes can happen. This is a basic service protocol for all the R15s having skid plate. Then why this carelessness? God knows!

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-invoice.jpg
I am not at all concerned at this stage about the expense I get to maintain my R15 from an ASC, but this is the breakup details for nerds out there!

After the delivery, I could not hear any rattling sound nor did I observe the skid plates. But, when I realised this during the midway of my long ride, I was totally shocked and scared at the same time. The ride day being a Sunday, I could not even get this fixed. Usually I keep cable ties under my pillion seat, but I had used it few weeks back. Else, I could have tried a temporary fix. By the way, I did reach safely to hometown and will pen down the ride experience in the other thread soon.

Conclusion?
Always check your vehicle, before making the payment at the ASC. If you doubt the ASC in their work, either look for an alternate ASC or an FNG who you can trust for the bill they issue to you! If your vehicle is safe, your safety automatically is secured till 90%, rest depends on various other factors which is unavoidable.

Ride safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 19:19   #35
BHPian

20,000 km update:

As of 12-May-2024, it was 2 years and 22 days with my R15 v4. The journey (ownership) with R15 has been a lot of ups with a little bit of downs. After all, life is full of ups and downs, right! In this post, I will pen down few positives and negatives (which can be subjective) about this beautiful machine which is engineered for perfection and youngsters like me.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-20000-km.jpg

Positives:
  • Fuel economy: Considering the purpose of this machine, it has returned me on average of 42-45 kmpl since Day 1, except during the break-in period during which I even got a higher fuel economy on a full tank. The drop in fuel economy is in decimals with continuous revving the engine on highways at triple digit speeds, still it returns good FE.
  • Refinement: Encountered a speed bump? R15 can easily come out in 2nd gear without much fuss around. Crusing on a good highway at triple digit speeds? The handlebars, visor and footpegs does not give you the fatigue on any part of your body. Every part is neatly placed where it is supposed to be. No jiggles or rattles on any body part (except for the tail light in my case).
  • Range: With a 11 L fuel tank and an average FE of 45 kmpl, you can easily travel long distances without worrying about frequent fuel breaks.
  • Capability to perform long rides: This aspect is a positive side for me because I have made this a reality on a faired bike. The Modpacs can be fit in a way that you won't need any extra bungies. Slick handling comes in handy at intersections where the locals are in their own world: riding/driving slowly, not giving way and being rude at times. On highways, the bike sticks on to the ground with ease.

Negatives:
  • Logistics of Yamaha Parts: This is a negative because I have seen how worst the Yamaha service centers in smaller cities deal with acquiring a part. It is due to the norms set by Yamaha India or the service center, I do not know! To give you an idea, I had ordered one of the dual horns in the month of Nov-2023 (before the India Bike Week Ride) to replace my defective horn under warranty. Surprisingly, the Yamaha Kasaragod service center calls me in Jan-2024 saying that the part has arrived. However, just before the IBW ride, I had already paid ₹220/- for the part and got it fixed from Yamaha Mangaluru because horn is very much required during long rides.
  • Stock MRF Tires: Stock 100/80 (F) and 140/70 (R) MRF Zapper tires are the worst IMHO. I never had the courage to lean when on stock tires. Why should I risk myself with a product which I am not at all comfortable!? If you have the budget, go for Apollo Alpha H1 or Michelin Road 5 during the delivery day for added ride quality & wet road grip.
  • Rust & Wiring: The quality control by Yamaha India on a premium motorcycle like this should be of Japanese standard! There should be no signs of rust and exposed wires. If not, then reduce the price by a certain amount. I hate rust, especially if its on any vehicle that I own.
  • Lack of beans (power): This is since recent few months where-in the bike runs butter smooth for the initial 2000 km after any periodic service involving oil and filter change. After this, my R15 has started to give sluggish attitudes upon opening the throttle. I feel like it is the time to replace the spark plugs with new ones. Need to check this with the Vinayak Yamaha folks at Bangalore, who just takes care of my R15 like its their own!

What a wonderful 155 cc segment machine this is! Since I have crossed 2 years of ownership, I am getting the urge to Stage 1 (or 2) tune my R15 from reputed place like Race Dynamics or Code6 Racing. For this, I need to start allocating a separate budget which I need to think about. Also, need to learn more about how tuning can effect the bike, especially the pistons, crankshaft and the exhaust. Suggestions or feedbacks from an expert on this regard is very much appreciated!

Until then, ride safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 20:34   #36
BHPian

Congrats on reaching the 20k milestone! Mine is currently at 17.2k so not far off. By Oct by bike will turn 2 years old so I expect to reach the same milestone very soon too

Regarding your idea of increasing power output/ adding modifications, while I certainly don’t know about the technical side of things, I really wish somehow you wouldn’t opt for an aftermarket exhaust. Even if you do I hope you get it tastefully done. Call me a slight purist, and it’s just my opinion, but I think installing an aftermarket exhaust on a single cylinder motorcycle mostly doesn’t suit it. Whenever I see another R15 on the road having an aftermarket exhaust like Akrapovic, it really ruins the sound, but I guess most people who do it don’t change anything else! While power output will increase I certainly feel the purity of the original smooth revving engine characteristic might change. Anyway will be interesting to follow your updates as always!
R15M_Rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 15:14   #37
BHPian

Every Youngster would have R15 on his bikes to be considered list. Even I might have bought an R15 if not for the pathetic showroom experience I had and it's still the same. Here's my Rant

Three years ago, my dad suggested that I buy a bike for my college commute. I hadn't planned on buying a bike for myself because I was using my cousin's Yamaha R3 while he was pursuing higher studies outside India and had given me the keys to use it. Two of my 12th-grade classmates had R15s, and my dad suggested I get the same vehicle as them. When I went to the Yamaha showroom at Marathahalli, they flat-out refused to give me a vehicle for a test ride. I pointed out the test ride vehicle and asked if there were any issues with it. The salesperson said there were no issues with it but they couldn't give a test ride. As I was leaving, I overheard the salesperson saying, "These kids come out of nowhere and just ask for a test ride and won't buy the bike." After hearing this, I was shocked and didn't want to make a purchase there. Just as I was taking my bike out, the same salesperson came out to take out the test ride bike which was parked next to my bike. He was shocked to see me on an R3. I looked at him and said, "You just lost a customer," started my bike, and left from there.

In July of last year, one of my office colleagues was interested in buying a bike for his daily commute. Due to his short stature, he was looking at the R15. We visited Geetha Motors in 8th Mile to inquire about the vehicle. However, we found that the bike was way over his budget (priced around 2.4 Lakhs), and they refused to provide a test ride. The sales lady suggested, "You can ask some of your friends if they have the bike, and you can ride it and see." I was shocked that their attitude remained unchanged even after 3 years. As we were leaving, the sales lady asked if we were planning to buy the bike, to which I replied, "My friend has the bike, I'll borrow it from him whenever I need it." He ended up buying a Mint second-hand CBR 150R and loves it.

The point here is how can I spend around 2.4 Lakhs (I feel it's overpriced now) and just buy it without a test ride? Yamaha showroom should change its attitude towards new customers. I understand that few customers ride their bikes rashly, but that doesn't mean everybody is out there to crash their bikes.
NB_4763 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 07:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_4763 View Post
Every Youngster would have R15 on his bikes to be considered list. Even I might have bought an R15 if not for the pathetic showroom experience I had and it's still the same. Here's my Rant

Three years ago, my dad suggested that I buy a bike for my college commute. I hadn't planned on buying a bike for myself because I was using my cousin's Yamaha R3 while he was pursuing higher studies outside India and had given me the keys to use it. Two of my 12th-grade classmates had R15s, and my dad suggested I get the same vehicle as them. When I went to the Yamaha showroom at Marathahalli, they flat-out refused to give me a vehicle for a test ride. I pointed out the test ride vehicle and asked if there were any issues with it. The salesperson said there were no issues with it but they couldn't give a test ride. As I was leaving, I overheard the salesperson saying, "These kids come out of nowhere and just ask for a test ride and won't buy the bike." After hearing this, I was shocked and didn't want to make a purchase there. Just as I was taking my bike out, the same salesperson came out to take out the test ride bike which was parked next to my bike. He was shocked to see me on an R3. I looked at him and said, "You just lost a customer," started my bike, and left from there.
Am sorry but in class twelve you should not even have a license, how exactly do you suppose any showroom would encourage a kid with obviously no known source of income to do a TD of a vehicle?

Am also surprised your parents let you ride a 40 bhp vehicle in school! Ostensibly without a licence?

These are the kind of practices that lead to the likes of the Pune Porsche crash.

Please be safe (and I assume you don't have proper gear also given that it's a borrowed vehicle?), you seem to be in violation of quite a few laws and common sense too.
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 09:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Am sorry but in class twelve you should not even have a license, how exactly do you suppose any showroom would encourage a kid with obviously no known source of income to do a TD of a vehicle?

Am also surprised your parents let you ride a 40 bhp vehicle in school! Ostensibly without a licence?

These are the kind of practices that lead to the likes of the Pune Porsche crash.

Please be safe (and I assume you don't have proper gear also given that it's a borrowed vehicle?), you seem to be in violation of quite a few laws and common sense too.
I Apologise for the misunderstanding

Three years ago, I was in my third year of college at the age of 20, I obtained my driver's license a month after turning 18.

When I referred to "12th-grade classmates," I meant my friends who had attended the same school as me but had moved to different colleges for their undergraduate programs. They acquired their bikes during their second year of college.

My parents had restricted my access to anything with an engine until I obtained my license. Initially, I was content with commuting to school on my bicycle and had no interest in driving or riding. After obtaining my license during my first semester of college, I occasionally used scooters and bikes but primarily relied on BMTC buses for transportation. However, during the second wave of COVID-19 in 2021, my father expressed concerns about the risk of infection while travelling by bus (My College commute was 20 km one way ), Due to which I had no other option but to borrow my cousin's bike, along with the necessary safety gear. I rarely exceeded 80 Kmph and followed all road rules.My dad didn't want me to use someone else's bike and suggested that I get a brand-new bike for myself.

My bad for misinterpreting the information. I'm totally against young people driving before they're legally allowed to.

PS - I'm grateful that the salesperson didn't offer a test ride. Their comments made me decide to buy a bike with my own money. After saving for 2 years, I bought a second-hand bike. Despite my dad's suggestion to buy a new bike and him suggesting me to pitch in the money I had saved, I stood firm on using my hard-earned money to buy my first bike
NB_4763 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 13:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
Whenever I see another R15 on the road having an aftermarket exhaust like Akrapovic, it really ruins the sound, but I guess most people who do it don’t change anything else! While power output will increase I certainly feel the purity of the original smooth revving engine characteristic might change. Anyway will be interesting to follow your updates as always!
@R15M_Rider I appreciate your concern on this regard of keeping R15 (any vehicle for that matter in my case) as stock as possible. Even my OCD never lets me opt for any kind of cosmetic modification. However, after 2+ years of ownership, I feel like experimenting on my R15 because it is capable.

Yes, I do agree that a show-off rider with chappal, colored hair and ripped jeans do install fake Akrapovič on their bikes (R15s) and trust me, it irritates the hell out of me everytime. What I am planning is to get a genuine aftermarket exhaust (it will be a hefty investment, I know), aftermarket air filters and then get the bike mapped (also read Staged/Tuned) accordingly from experienced folks like RaceDynamics or Code6 Tuning. Doing all this performance oriented modification (genuinely) will almost cost as much as the bike costed back then, but I believe it will be fun to own and ride a purely modded 155 cc bike. Never know, someday this too shall happen and I will keep you all posted.
Old 16th June 2024, 16:25   #41
BHPian

Damaged Fairing:

Before I go after the 7th (Paid) service updates of my R15, let me share an unfortunate (mysterious) incident that I witnessed on 18-May-2024 (Saturday). For a week until the above date, I had not taken R15 out here at Bengaluru since my office commute was done with my 4W. Before a week, when I had taken her for a wash, I did not witness this damage. I do watch my parked R15 whenever I go out of my apartment but never thought this would happen.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-brokenpanel.jpg

As you can see the highlighted part, which was broken one fine morning that day! First thought came to my mind was check CCTV of the parking lot, but sadly there was only 1 CCTV and it did not capture where my bike was parked. Fate!

But hey, what might have happened? Who might be the culprit?
  • Royal Enfields: There are 2 RE Hunter 350s and 1 RE Bullet in my basement. By any chance, did they drop their bike on my R15 and their handle hit the fairing causing this damage? I do not know, but 90% chances that this might have happened.
  • Rat: I know how rats do their propaganda. They love to cripple in an enclosed place and not on exposed part of any vehicle. And the kind of damage, does not look like rat damage. So, this was ruled out.
  • Kids: I never saw any kids in my 4 floor apartment where I stay. Even if I assume a kid might have done this, then with what intention would they do? So, this was also ruled out.
  • Someone who gets itch on their hands when a faired bike is parked? I do not believe anyone in my apartment would do this. AFAIK, all are working professionals and I hardly doubt this is the root cause.

Among all this, the dropping of RE (or any other bike) might have caused this is what I convinced my brain and decided to move-on. After all, life is full of ups and downs, so is a vehicle's life!

After this incident, the next week I had a ride with Vinayak Yamaha to Budikote Dam, during which I enquired about the approximate price of this fairing. They said it will come around ₹2100/- for the part and I added the labor charge as well from my end. At Yamaha, most of the body parts are not stored in the service center. It needs to be ordered as per the need basis. So, I did not bat an eye and decided to live with it. As the quote goes: "दाग अच्छे है" (stains are good), I believe that a visible dent/minor damage on any vehicle is good and prevents from evil eyes!

7th Service:

On 15-Jun-2024 (Saturday), I had booked an appointment at Vinayak Yamaha, as usual, for pampering my R15. Appointment is just name sake, it is all first come first serve basis. Since I stay at Seegehalli, I needed 35 min to reach the ASC. I left my place around 07:45 am and reached the ASC by 08:20 am. My R15 got the 5th token and the SA came with the job card, took the ODO reading and we had a small conversation (since I knew him since 2 years). I had taken the R15's skid plate that had come off (Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report) during one of my long rides. I wanted it to be fixed as it was supposed to, but since I did not have the screw, SA denied as the screw comes with the accessory as a set and not separately. Nevermind, I do not find any use of this accessory anymore.

As he was performing the visual observations after a quick ride, he mentioned that the brake pads (front and rear) need to be replaced. I expected this to happen. During the 6th service, I had asked them to install the Vesrah Ceramic brake pads. I wanted to experiment how it would effect the braking performance, reliability and effect on the brake discs. I found the answer!

Like I mentioned before as well, performance wise ceramic brake pads are way better than stock organic brake pads. But, every boon comes with a bane. Below are the disadvantages of using ceramic brake pads over stock brake pads (as per my experience):
  • Ceramic material eats the brake disc more as compared to an organic brake pads. But, the salesperson from where I took these had said "Bro, this will not eat your brake disc".
  • In my case, these set of brake pads did not even last for 5000 km. In fact, after 3833 km, front brake pads completely gone while the rear brake pads could last for another ~500 km or so. But again, I cannot afford the time and money to get the rear sets replaced on separate occasion. Hence, gave a go ahead to replace both the front and rear brake pads.
  • Considering the second point, spending ₹2600/- on front and rear brake pads is not worth it for every 3000-5000 km.

However, what surprised me is that, the SA did not say anything about the brake disc. I expected that he would notice it and ask if they can replace. But they are the experts, I did not ask as well. The estimate he gave came out to be around ₹7400/- (more on this later below). I asked the SA to return me the brake pads. Usually I do not do this, but since it was ceramic brake pads, I was curious to see how it looks like after complete wear. Then I dropped my bike, took a Rapido and Metro to reach my home. I said that I will come to pick the vehicle today (16-Jun-2024). And yes, they do work on Sundays between 9 am and 1 pm.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-brakepad_front.jpg
Front Brake Pad Set

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-brakepad_rear.jpg
Rear Brake Pad Set

The day I had dropped the bike for service, I get a call from a close Senior Mechanic saying that the rear disc will have to be replaced as it has worn out completely. Aah, culprit is the ceramic brake pad eating the metal disc! Without batting an eye, I said them to proceed. Why? As per my knowledge of physics, a thin metal is more susceptible to various stress, leading to failure when compared to a same metal of higher thickness. After all, it is a wear and tear component that will require a replacement one day or the other, so why risk safety to save some rupees?

If you read my thread from the beginning, you will be aware that my R15 had undergone a complete wiring kit replacement last year. All thanks to the mischeivious rodent.

During the bike handover to service, the SA reached out to me offering their AMC (Annual Maintenance Contract). During the previous service, I had denied because I was not sure if I would be in Bangalore due to my job switch. But now since I am sure I will be here, I opted for it with a cost of ₹1600/-. This AMC is valid for one year from the date of purchase (more details below):

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-amc_tnc.jpg

And whoever opted for this AMC, their vehicle (scooter, R15 or any Yamaha vehicle) will undergo the below checklists:

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-amc_checklist.jpg

Atleast for me, I found this to be useful. And, the AMC became active from this service itself. Below is the breakup of parts and labor for this 7th service:

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-spares.jpg

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-labor_1.jpg

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-labor_2.jpg

Summing up all the above (including the AMC), it costed me ₹8312/- in total. considering the perks of AMC, I am fine for another one year and R15 will clock more kilometers in the coming days. So, this should be a good deal for me.

Along with the returned brake pads, I also got the rear brake disc along with the 3 nuts holding the disc to the wheels:

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-reardisc_old.jpg

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-reardisc_old_side.jpg

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-reardisc_old_nut.jpg

And, after the new rear brake disc installation, this is how it looked fresh after I took the delivery today:

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-reardisc_side.jpg

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-reardisc_marking.jpg

If you carefully look at the right edge of the disc (yellow arrow), it shows the wear limit (not sure if it can be figured out in the above image). Once the shiny part of the disc is worn out, it is an indication that it needs to be replaced.

Now that the R15 looks brand new after the polish and all the organs serviced by good hands, my OCD will not allow me to take the bike out for another few days.

Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report-r15_postservice.jpg
Happy her, happy me!

This is all I had for this post. Will keep you all posted on more such observation as days pass.

Ride safe!
Sud.
Old 16th June 2024, 17:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasta_rider View Post
As you can see the highlighted part, which was broken one fine morning that day! First thought came to my mind was check CCTV of the parking lot, but sadly there was only 1 CCTV and it did not capture where my bike was parked. Fate!
Oh man, this is really unfortunate! Really sad to see it. Trust me, I can totally understand what you might be feeling. While I haven't had a broken fairing till date (thankfully, praying it won't happen in future too), I did have a couple of damages so far that still hurt whenever I see it/get reminded of it. The last one being a TVS 50 uncle ramming me on an intersection near the end of my Yelagiri ride (on my ownership thread). The major thing I hate about Indian mentality (not generalizing, but mostly) is this so called "chalta hai" attitude. Most people don't have the slightest respect/consideration when they knowingly/unknowingly damage other's property and have the audacity to not attempt to apologize but rather belittle you saying, why you're petty about such things. Unfortunately this isn't going to change anytime soon and I guess, people like us only need to bite our tongue, deal with it and move on. Hoping you get it fixed soon.
R15M_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks