Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 18:32   #16

Re: Buy a decent 650cc motorcycle now, or save for something bigger?

Hello there sir. I have a few questions and then I'll give you some suggestions based on some experiences that come from my family.

Questions:
1) You mentioned your wife is a rider too. I understand that your wife might be riding this new bike you're planning to purchase?

2) if you're planning on using the bike for small runs in and around Bangalore wouldn't it make more sense to buy a smaller bike?

My experience.
I'm 21 and I got my first bike 2 years ago. It's a 2020 Classic 350. Now, my father bought this bike because our old Activa was dying. We lived in a small mountain town in Uttarakhand.
So daily running was less than 17 kilometers, the bike was just used as an errand runner because the market was 3 kilometers away and it was too tedious to drive our suv there and find parking. This was back in 2020 when I had just finished my 12th grade and was eventually going to move to Bombay alone for college. My father has business set up in Kerala so he's almost never home. Because of this my father only clocked around 500 kilometers on the bike and then eventually it was handed down to me as it didn't make sense to buy a bike and then just keep it in the garage forever. I use my bike for commuting to the college and back everyday(mostly). College being 31 kilometers away from my place is a traffic filled nightmare where one doesn't ride his/her bike but instead *walks* it. I cover the whole 31kms in 35-40 minutes when I leave home early (6:10 am). Coming back home is another story, it takes anywhere between 1.30 to 2 hours. I've been doing this for about 2 years now and it felt good in the beginning but now it has taken a toll on my body. I have clocked around 11k kilometers on my classic and riding in traffic and slow speed controls are quite tedious to do consistently. My barely 10k kilometer used bikes throws fits every other month. I have properly maintained my bike, serviced it multiple times myself, have always changed oil 500 kilometers before the due milage and still I have pending repairs. Last service (10k kilometers) set me back around 9400 inr. This is a bike that's never been dropped or abused ridden excessively fast or revved to the limit ( I know you must be thinking a 21 year old, first bike, how's that possible) haha it is, i swear : ). By my extremely limited and recent experiences, here's my suggestion for you:

1) 650 cc bikes are too much bike for you. Trust me you'll hate it. They're clunky and very hard to ride in traffic. Especially in cities like Bombay and Banglore.

2) Big bikes are expensive to maintain but you already know this. What you must not be knowing is, it takes MONTHS to get parts for big bikes in India. What good is your bike if it is at the dealership for months every everytime something goes kaput? Sure, parts for a 650cc RE will be fine to get but then again it's big.

3) Bikes like Versys and VStrom are honestly, not those bikes where you want a pillion or your pillion wants to be. Those bikes aren't made to do what you're asking and big front wheels, again affect controls negatively so riding in traffic is impractical.

4) The most practical choices for you would be the Honda CB350, Benelli imperiale and any sub 500 from RE.

But if you're really bent on buying a 650 and don't mind shelling out a fat stack of green every time you visit the dealership, then go for the super meteor.

Happy riding,
Tasawur.
tasawuR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasawuR View Post
3) Bikes like Versys and VStrom are honestly, not those bikes where you want a pillion or your pillion wants to be. Those bikes aren't made to do what you're asking and big front wheels, again affect controls negatively so riding in traffic is impractical.
Exactly which Versys has Big Front wheel? 17" is big?

Versys is a sweet handling bike; the only issue is the higher CoG and seat height for a rider with short in-seam.

Also both the above bikes are super comfortable for a pillion.
roy_libran is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 22:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arb View Post
To buy a decent motorcycle now or save for bigger?
~ArB
Hi ArB - As commented by fellow BHPians, I would advise a decent motorcycle as you are getting back into motorcycling again after some break. Our cities and traffic condition are not same and believe me riding preferences and needs change with time. Plus you are trying to get a bike for 2 different riders!

If I were you, I would buy a pre-loved Interceptor, will cost you 2-2.5L, it is a jack of all trades though not the most practical bike. But it has good mod potential to tailor it as per your requirement and it won't hit your pockets much. With your better half in mind, please check out the weight of the bike though, it is a lot of work if you need to move it around. As pillion comfort is a key requirement, next up will be the Versys / VStrom 650 and then the Tiger and so on. I love the Street twin but as per my research it needs a lot of love and Vitamin M.

I also have a Dominar for the City runs, it is super practical bike and contrasts completely with the Interceptor. It is nowhere near the Interceptor in terms of engine refinement and also it is not pillion friendly. It will be similar case with the Duke D390.

As you have already started the process, key to decide is to ride out all the shortlisted options and then decide. All the best for your hunt.

PS - not experienced the Super Meteor so cannot comment but as pointed out cruisers may not be practical for the city and for last minute evasive manoeuvre, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by Meer : 6th March 2023 at 22:49.
Old 7th March 2023, 12:31   #19
arb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
White is the other option.
Thanks, showed the white didn't help much. And also, have decided to keep the cost below million mark, perhaps even half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
I would say look at the used bike market.
Thanks! Couldn't sway her to buy a pre-loved car, can't do it for bike either. Seconds are not in scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Arb, it’s now or never mostly, buy what your heart is set on, but it should also be one which you can comfortably own. Don’t go overboard with the buying price because bigger bikes need more maintenance outflow in every way.

If the purpose is local running also with having the need to park anywhere then any big superbike should be out, as in India you just cannot leave the bike unattended. Some or the other fool will come to touch it, try to sit on it and what not.

Buy one of the Royal Enfield’s for now and see how things feel after some time in your biking journey.
Cyborg, you have summed up all I am thinking off. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
A cruiser is probably the worst choice to buy given our road conditions.
I will take your word on it for lack of my own experience in recent years, but for good or worse ADVs are out of our contention. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Whichever motorcycle you pick, please pay attention to ride comfort. Engine heat and radiation for example can be very uncomfortable. 2 days back, I took a test ride of Super Meteor. While it is very impressive when it comes to power, balance and handling but then you'll feel lot of engine heat.
Thanks, took good rounds of test ride and felt similar. I will sum up my ride experience later in the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasawuR View Post
Hello there sir.
Dear Tasavur, keeping the risk of sounding preachy aside, I will say I am averse to 'sir', names are just fine.
As about the observations on larger engine bikes, while they might all be true I am bitten by 'big engine' bug and considering a midsize cruiser at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
With your better half in mind, please check out the weight of the bike though, it is a lot of work if you need to move it around.
Thanks! While in general weight and height may not be much of a constraint when you are riding regularly, having the ability to flat foot while seated is very confidence inspiring initially. Lower height, with good balance of weight does takes my wifes vote. This is where cruisers/retro's are bang on.

Couple of updates -
  • Took multiple test rides of SM650 -
    • First impression, from a late evening quick ride of around 800m - not big enough, okay to ride extremely poor rear seat.
    • Second impression, longer ride day time - Bike has good proportions but masks too well its weight and girth so the overall non-imposing stance. On the positive side makes it very chuckable and didn't find much of a trouble riding in traffic. Heat, not uncomfortable and definitely lesser than the Triumphs i rode for comparable amount of time. This may be still a concern in b2b traffic, but I am unlikely to be in bike in such scenarios, so should be good. Seats, still the same feeling. Good for the rider, torture for the pillion.
    • Third impression, no ride but inspected the tourer version - The wind shields, added leg guards, larger seat, grab handles make the size a tad more visible or if I may say imposing. The tourer seat is definitely wider and longer with back rest, should result in better comfort. If the tourer seat is available as accessory there is no decisive difference between the variants. The White in Red-White tourer is not to my liking.
  • I am continuing with my SM650 booking, however will look to alter variant.
  • RE app delivery timelines are August
  • Showroom timelines are for May delivery.

Lastly, hoping our excitement lasts that far, and my impulses are in check.
~ArB
arb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:36   #20

Quote:
Now that you are aware of my riding background, the need, the want, the logic or ill-logics I again present my predicament “To buy a decent motorcycle now or save for bigger?
I would say go for a 650cc motorcycle. These are a sweet spot between performance and ease of handling. I myself bought an Interceptor 650 last month (will post ownership experience soon) and I am very satisfied with my decision.

If you are looking for an easier to maintain 650cc then go for Interceptor 650. As for Super Meteor it's a full own cruiser that may be super comfy on highways but not in day to day traffic.

For highway rides as well Interceptor is a gem of a motorcycle. May be other experienced Interceptor owners can share there experience on the highway ride capabilities.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th March 2023 at 19:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
satypal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 09:58   #21
arb

Another weekend, another set of impulses.

Any ideas if/ where can I rent middleweight bikes specifically Versys? While I did say I being not keen to give my money to Kawasaki folks, end of the day its my loss if I am passing over a better bike on a fit.

Any suggestions would help, my intention is to take a good ride of Versys along with my spouse.

Thanks!
~ArB
arb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 16:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas if/ where can I rent middleweight bikes specifically Versys?
You could try twistthrottle. I've been using their services since last April.

https://twistthrottle.in/

Last edited by pachchu77 : 11th March 2023 at 16:06. Reason: rephrased a bit.
pachchu77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 15:58   #23
BHPian

The extremely little bit of gratitude you might expect from RE for investing 4.5 Lakhs of your hard earned money into their product will never be shown even for half a second and their inept service department would make you question your purchasing decision in the first place.
I've and I'm going through the same with my Int650 and Meteor350.
mpp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 16:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas if/ where can I rent middleweight bikes specifically Versys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
You could try twistthrottle.
My friend had rented the Versys BS6 last year from twistthrottle. Even the Versys BS4 seemed properly maintained. I hope that they continue to do the same.

The total renting experience from them was good without any hiccups in the process, nor in the bike.

They had given the bike with a full tank and had requested to return it the same way.
advstreak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:55   #25

As a 23 year old, this is a no brainer… get the Meteor 650 for now, and sell it later for something bigger and better down the line. REs generally tend to hold their values decently well so resale won’t be lead to any significant losses.

But the equation may change if you are older than say 40, since your ability to ride without body aches and fatigue starts to diminish and the “If not now then when” question becomes more pertinent.

So, if you believe you have another decade or so in front of you where you can comfortably enjoy a motorcycle then. Take your time with it and start from the meteor 650
Apolo4409 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 14:19   #26
arb

Bought a decent 350cc motorcycle now, striving for a Sofa down the line.

Do you find yourself wiser with age? Not sure about how wise have I become, I would certainly choose to believe I have become pragmatic.
And in the guise of pragmatism I have let go of the SM650 and other big engine fancies.

Instead, a RE Thunderbird 350x is what I have committed to.

What it ticked?
  • Comfortable to both rider & pillion
  • Supposedly easier to ride in traffic after my long hiatus
  • Cost, significantly cheaper from what I previously earmarked
  • No qualms about depreciating asset
What it doesnt?
  • Its not big enough
  • Not fresh off the assembly line
How did it click?
Not sure, the aversion to seconds remain. May be this -
  • For me - Friends well maintained bike, confirmed over a casual chat. Don't miss the significantly lower cost.
  • For spouse - Aural note, seemingly to my spouse it was bullet the way she had heard while astride the fuel tank, back in the day.
What Sofa?
Well, if I can make enough of those 'Biking experience together' I am certain we will end up with a certain adv with sofa like backseat and thrice the current engine size.

~ArB
arb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:05   #27
arb

Not getting the certain ADV with Sofa like rear seat!

Should have purchased the bigger bike I so craved, when I did. While the pre-loved purchase was good in all sane logic, it simply didn't click.

Riding seemingly, turned out to be more pain in A, than I had cared to think. After the few acclimatizing rounds within city I took mrs on the ride together and around 50Kms I had to reach out to next available coffee shop to cool my coccyx such was the pain. That is that, thereafter I have run a grand total of 3XX kms in last 5 months within city. I am yet to make a refill post the tankful I made after purchase.

Spirit is still alive, intent persists just waiting for all signals to go green for the next ride out.

~ArB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks