Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2023, 14:37   #1
BHPian

The motorcycle itch | Kawasaki Versys 650 vs Honda CB500F vs KTM 390 ADV

All
A sedate rider who puts lots of emphasize of on ride comfort.
Looking to get one of these for adv touring single track roads, back roads and as well some significant highways (to reach those above tracks). Priority - Reliability and Smooth/vibration free ride. I am restarting my biking after a long time - almost 20 years - especially NO previous ADV experience. I am spoilt with smooth cars and I could not stop my expectation at least similar quality/vibe free ride on bikes. I read lots of review and watched videos and understand Versys seems to be in the top of the list for a trouble free, smooth performance and good power when required - most importantly linear power delivery. Honda offers the reliability which I need but I yet to test ride. KTM a single cylinder affair but the most affordable in the list and could be a far more easier entry point both in terms of power and price. I would like to avoid RE for now as I am not comfortable with their style of maintenance/handling etc.

What I need from you all petrol/bike heads, whether my options are smart enough? Versys - is it a novice friendly ADV bike? Which one gives what I want - Smooth/Linear power delivery/reliability/vibe free ride. Thanks in advance. I also have fixation in my mind that Japanese are more reliable so, I have to limit my option and KTM is managed by Bajaj so, easier to maintain.

Last edited by sgmuser : 21st February 2023 at 14:39.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 08:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The motorcycle itch | Kawasaki Versys 650 vs Honda CB500F vs KTM 390 ADV

No experience with these but gathering from first hand accounts here are some suggestions :

- Versys 650 : all the pluses you mentioned but based on your height it might/might not feel that easy in city traffic. Weight is another concern.

- CB500X : Have heard only good things about it except the price and BigWing service coverage.

- 390 Adventure : will feel stiff to ride especially the rear, not sure if the 2023 iteration will have adjustable suspension and tubeless tyres for India. Vibrations are a personal benchmark so a ride across the rev range can decide that.

- VStrom 650 XT : should fit better than the Versys IMO but not sure about the service and support from Suzuki on their big bikes, someone experienced can hopefully answer this.

IMO the CB500X should fit your needs the best but the service center coverage and spares availability is something that you'll have to check for your location.

Last edited by shancz : 22nd February 2023 at 08:40. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get the KTM - no brainer IMO based on the fact that you are getting back to motorcycles after 20yrs. Not too expensive to buy new or maintain. Right amount of power, good amount of tech, lower heft, easy to ride on most roads except offroads and pretty non-descript. It's not about affordability in your case, it's just the fact that you have had a long gap with motorcycles so upgrade once you get comfortable with it. Else you will end up buying an expensive bike that you won't be riding much - not that KTM is any less expensive these days.

Good luck with your hunt and happy riding.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:00   #4
BHPian

First,find out regarding service/after sales support reputation for kawasaki,suzuki and Honda in your city.
Honda is your ideal choice but we(or dealers) have no real idea regarding release dates of 2023 cb500f or x. This leaves you with suzuki and kawasaki in the short term.Both are heavy bikes with different characters-test ride both. Suzuki is costlier with lesser goodies.
It comes down to the dealer/service centre reputation. Big bikes are unlike cars of the same cost- we are unfortunately at the mercy of these people for everything from spares to regular service for which they usually throw attitude at us.There are very few and good fng's unlike costly cars. Check that first and decision should be easy.

Try the Honda CB350 hness once.

Last edited by Senotrius : 22nd February 2023 at 09:03.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford a bigger bike, go for it. The KTM is a great machine, but it isn't guaranteed to be fuss free. Since you have the big monies, go for either the 'Strom or the Versys. There's absolutely no comparison.

Edit - here's a wildcard entry: the Tiger Sport 660

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 22nd February 2023 at 09:31.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I am restarting my biking after a long time - almost 20 years - especially NO previous ADV experience. I am spoilt with smooth cars and I could not stop my expectation at least similar quality/vibe free ride on bikes...whether my options are smart enough?
Since your location states Oman, I'm not sure if you're in Oman or India, regardless, my only concern is: you're getting into riding after 2 decades, not undermining you, but requesting you to take calculated steps & understand what you're getting into than taking a plunge, which is exactly what you're doing by consulting with the experienced members here
  • If I were you, my approach will be is to begin with either riding friend's motorcycles or better rent out for first few rides, much easier if you're in Oman
  • If it's India, then 100% MUST gain some familiarity before buying middle weights because Indian roads are not the same as it used to be even couple of years ago & undergoing rapid changes almost every year & 2 decades sounds eternity
  • And to all the motorcycles you've chosen, although many might swear by Versys 650 & I'm very much in love with the {boring Japanese, like my CBR} motorcycle as well; however, DO NOT get carried over by the YT reviews as all of them state their own experience & watching many of them will shove their opinion on you
  • For instance, almost all Interceptor reviews stated 2 issues:
    1. Wind blast
    2: Slightly forward leaning posture
    What I found was, they were not an issue at all for me. What the internet reviews didn't say were:
    1. Nightmare of a puncture
    2: Practicality of finding a RE garage at any corner of the country
  • Point is: Get into action: mingle with the local RESPONSIBLE biking group to try & experiment which one suits you the most; perhaps your opinion might change altogether as well or better rent out for few rides. Both these options are little cumbersome unless you're in one of the metros in India, but then, with TBhp in place, you should be able to find one eventually

Good luck!

Quote:
I would like to avoid RE for now as I am not comfortable with their style of maintenance/handling etc
And, this is just a myth! The new J-Series engine from RE or the RE-Twin engines are relatively trouble free; ofcourse, RE has a long way to catch up with the Japs; but then, talking practically no one comes closer to RE (barring the nightmare of a puncture on RE-twin's spoked wheels); and if you don't like RE350, there's CB350 {yet another boring Jap motorcycle}

Last edited by aargee : 22nd February 2023 at 09:36.
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 15:26   #7
BHPian

I really wish Stefan Pierer or the board at Husqvarna introduce the Norden design to the 390 adventure. (now that they have killed the 490)

The looks of the KTM adv are polarizing for most and the sedate design of the Norden might help pull this set of crowd.

The 390 platform is now established. Haven't heard any major mechanical issues recently. The spares are cheap, the service interval is 7.5k kms apart. The engine and handling are class apart.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:08   #8
BHPian

I was in a similar situation couple of months back. Decided to get back on the saddle after a gap of almost 15 years. I decided to take a calculated approach for the return as I was not sure how things will turn out, once I get back to riding (I also have an issue with my lower back). So, decided to go in for a small-mid capacity ADV like Himalayan, Adventure 390, BMW G310GS etc. which are below 5L on-road. This way, I would not be losing much, in case things turned out differently than planned. I could always upgrade to a larger bike later, if things worked out as planned. Finally, got an Adventure 390 last October and I'm pretty happy with my purchase till now. It has adequate power, manageable weight and it is pretty cheap to maintain. Most of my usage is long distance touring and some occasional off the road riding. I'm not yet into hardcore off-roading. I got used to the characteristics of the bike and now am pretty comfortable in most situations. Above is my thought process and decision making, hope it helps you decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
however, DO NOT get carried over by the YT reviews as all of them state their own experience & watching many of them will shove their opinion on you
What I found was, they were not an issue at all for me.
I whole heartedly echo the points from aargee here. Reviews can only give you pointers. Whichever bike you choose, take a long enough/multiple test ride and decide for yourself. There is nothing like a perfect bike, go for the one which strikes the right chord for you. Happy hunting.

Last edited by A350XWB : 22nd February 2023 at 16:22.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Versys - is it a novice friendly ADV bike? Which one gives what I want - Smooth/Linear power delivery/reliability/vibe free ride.
I would say go for the 2023 Versys 650. Since you are a mature rider there should be no issues, just keep your right wrist under control with your mind initially till you understand how she moves/behaves. Please take a test ride to see how she feels for you, don’t worry about the weight too much, you will get used to it. It covers all the bases which you require, smooth, linear power delivery, reliable also since it’s a tried, tested engine and overall package.

Since ride comfort is your primary requirement the KTM 390 Adventure I feel would be too stiff suspension wise and besides it has vibrations almost everywhere.

All the best with your search!

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 22nd February 2023 at 16:35.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Since ride comfort is your primary requirement the KTM 390 Adventure I feel would be too stiff suspension wise and besides it has vibrations almost everywhere.
I agree that Adventure 390 is sprung a bit hard, but can you share your experience with the mentioned, vibrations from everywhere? I've been owning the bike for 5 months only but in my experience, the vibrations are very well controlled on this one. Not Honda smooth, but far from what I call vibey.
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
The 390 platform is now established. Haven't heard any major mechanical issues recently. The spares are cheap, the service interval is 7.5k kms apart. The engine and handling are class apart.
The engine is the thing I hated the most on the Adventure 390. No low end torque to speak off. It was irritating to ride at low speeds. The hard suspension helped handling but made for a less comfortable ride for long distance touring.

@OP - Unless you are close to 6 ft or a very experienced rider don't bother with the Versys. It's very top heavy and the seat height will make it a big pain to ride at slow speeds or move it around in the parking lot
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Thanks all. I will have to learn the multi quote to properly answer the queries. KTM and Versys are out of the equation looks like, even though these were the top of the list so far for me. Yes, Versys is a top heavy (220kg) bike, the heaviest. This is my concern, and that is why I was asking whether it is suitable for a newbie ADV rider like me. KTM, I heard the low end tractability and ride quality is not something I can really feel comfortable from what I gather. That leaves me to Honda which is a million dollar question. I have to wait for RE 450 Himalayan and test ride it and see I can live with a RE. Also, ride KTM Adv and Versys 650 a bit more and try to see what is the real issue specifically for me. Otherwise, I like the way KTM looks, small and manageable. Versys' road presence is unmatchable. Somehow I feel CB is way too over priced (fully imported?). I will keep updating this purchase process. Btw I am 5.11 and a very very safety conscious auto enthusiast, just in case. Before the bike, I need to make sure I get the safety kits like a very very good helmet, body protection gears etc.

Finally, this is for India, I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by sgmuser : 23rd February 2023 at 13:07. Reason: missed a point.
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 13:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KTM and Versys are out of the equation looks like, even though these were the top of the list so far for me.

...Ex Versys-650 and present Versys-1000 owner here.

You have discounted the two most sensible products out there, PROVIDED you are over 170 cm with a reasonable in-seam! <EDIT: Noticed you are 5'11" - you have zero worries on rideability then>>

- If you are always gonna ride 1-up, and want to travel a lot of bad roads and gravel with ease, just get the KTM.
- If you want to ride 2-up and do occasional bad roads or gravel tracks then get the Versys. It is smoother and more comfortable. Yes, it has a higher CG, but the bike has beautiful balance and handling, and with your height you won't face any issues.

Both of these are fairly no nonsense bikes and you get a lot of VALUE for the BUCK - I for one, always look at the value quotient closely.

I am in fact thinking of adding a 390ADV to my garage.

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd February 2023 at 13:07.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:16   #14
BHPian

If you are living in Oman and eligible to get license there buy a used motorcycle there. It's very very cheap there and roads are really nice. I had booked a bike in India when I was living there and later cancelled it, then went back to Oman got my license and purchased one there. If you are not eligible for license then it's even more fun if you are brave enough to get a wr450f, CRF or surron (no license reqd). You can carry them easily using jack rack in 4x4 and the whole country side is off road. You can learn all riding skills in the mountains, deserts and beaches.

For India, I used to rent bikes every vacation and once I came back bought a er6n used here for highway rides. The kawasaki twin (versys, Ninja and Z)is any day better than the adventure single on long highway rides. If it's a mix of off-road and highway then both versys and adventure is nice. If its for City ride get electric or IC scooter. Another reason I preffered the kawasaki was in Oman it's safer to ride a bit faster than average car speed as they may not see you if you are slow (people are not used to seeing bikes often). I feel safer doing that even here and the kawasaki 650 is better in this region. All come down to the budget eventually, both adventure 390 and versys are amazing machines on their price range with hardly any comparison. You will not regret buying either.

And don't worry about restarting riding. It's not very hard to take motorcycle to a parking lot and practice short turns and braking. In oman, I used to feel the bike i had there was very heavy and was not very confident initially, then was lucky to have my friends triumph Thunderbird for sometime. After that it was so easy to handle my bike. You can also rent bigger bike than what you are buying to get used to weight.
subincb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
KTM and Versys are out of the equation looks like, even though these were the top of the list so far for me.
Test ride the VStrom 250 SX. Since you are returning to biking after a few years, this is light weight, easily manageable in traffic/highways and a linear acceleration with good tractability in gears. This should get you accustomed again to biking and then you can move to a higher capacity bike in a year or two. You can exchange the VStrom 250 or keep it as a city bike.

As for the CB500X, no idea if at all Honda will launch it and if it does it will be priced way too high with all the updates.

If you are going for a higher capacity bike still, do keep the VStrom 650 also in consideration and there are offers going on in the VStrom now for clearing the current stocks before the BS6 RDE versions hit the market in April. There are dealers holding stocks of these bikes and you may get 1-1.5 lakhs discount on the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks