Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2023, 22:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Hunter 350 ownership review

The first quarter of my front brake feels like squeezing air (has been that way since the last service or so). It has been about 600km since the last service at 1900km but I didn't hear anything about worn brake pads from the mechs.
When servicing when I asked them not to put rust cleaner on the brakes, they insisted that they apply rust cleaner only to the calipers and not the pads and told me it will be fine, only to later tell me after they serviced it the brakes will be compromised for the next couple of days or so. But my front brake never felt good after this. They do this at every service for some reason. Is this normal? They did also tell me to come back to them if my braking did not feel good after two days but I've not gone back since the service centre is far away and servicing also takes time.

I also have a few other issues with steering that are particularly noticeable at high speeds but most official service centres are located in places with heavy traffic. I don't really want them to tell me "no, seems fine to me" after doing a 20kmph 200m run. And just in case I do need to replace the brake pads, I don't want to go for OEM ones as they clearly don't last. Any third party service centre recommendations in Bangalore?
Old 14th December 2023, 15:39   #32

While I really love my Hunter 350, the rear ride quality is nothing to write home about. RE Hunter's stiff rear suspension is the only fly in the ointment in an otherwise very well engineered and a reliable bike which has already topped the sales charts in its category. What's the recourse to the stiff ride issue? Can I retrofit Classic 350's rear shock absorbers in the Hunter? Will RE support this modification or will I have to get it done from outside? Will it impact the OEM warranty and tyre life? Please share your views. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th December 2023, 17:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORON View Post
While I really love my Hunter 350, the rear ride quality is nothing to write home about. RE Hunter's stiff rear suspension is the only fly in the ointment in an otherwise very well engineered and a reliable bike which has already topped the sales charts in its category. What's the recourse to the stiff ride issue? Can I retrofit Classic 350's rear shock absorbers in the Hunter? Will RE support this modification or will I have to get it done from outside? Will it impact the OEM warranty and tyre life? Please share your views. Thanks in advance!
Big Bear Customs has a video on this, the short version is below. Short version, yes the Classic shocks can be fitted and do make a huge difference.

AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 18:21   #34

I recently swapped the stock with Classic Reborn suspension which is shorter by 5mm at 315mm as compared to Hunter's 320mm. The ride quality has improved considerably and yet to check the practical impact of 5mm reduction in GC. I was initially waiting for YSS Hunter suspensions, but it doesn't seem to be available yet in Indian market. Dropped the plan of YSS after multiple follow-ups with them didn't yield any concrete dates.
rsivasam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 10:11   #35

Hello All,

I bought a Hunter 350, Dapper Grey on the 2nd of February replacing my trusty Glamour for my daily commute to work.

Booked the vehicle in the end of January and was told about a wait period of 20 days for the color, however received a call 3 days later that the vehicle is ready to be delivered!

Went to the showroom, completed all the formalities and ended up taking the delivery. Everything went fine, finished my first service at 500 Km and rode it until 1300 Km when suddenly the Clutch got so hard that during peak Bangalore traffic, my hands would hurt so bad that they would turn red and it took a lot of effort to engage the clutch.

On my way back home from work is where the RE Service center is located. I directly went there and showed them the clutch and to my surprise the Service Executive told me that this is how a RE bike works and that I'll need to get used to the Hard clutch, even after I showed him a smoother clutch in one of the Hunter parked at the Service Center.

Got mad, left the place and went to my trusty local garage where I would get my Glamour serviced, the mechanic held the clutch once and told that it is abnormally hard for such a new bike and advised me to get the clutch cable replaced, to which I instantly agreed as my hands were shivering with pain from all the riding.

This was a 2 minute job as he had the clutch cable in stock and costed me Rs. 250/-. The best 250 rupees I have ever spent!

Why weren't the RE Service Center able to help me out with the repair, also shooing the customers away telling that is how it is supposed to be ?
If this continues, I don't think RE is putting themselves at a good spot in such a competitive market!

So, I am still unable to diagnose why my old clutch cable got so hard at just 1300 Km. Currently I have ridden about 150 Km on the replaced cable and have no issues.

Thank You,
Akash
abk98 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 10:45   #36

Akash, congrats on your new ride and wish you many happy miles. It could have been a manufacturing defect with cable or abnormally high deposit of dust would have caused this and I think the chances for later is pretty less for a new bike.

The RE service center guy didn't analyze it properly and next time when you visit them you persist until you are satisfied. Otherwise, Hunter is a good ride for Bangalore and you would love it's agility, the torque and grunt.

You might in future can opt for changing rear suspension with Classic and you would feel the difference immediately on Blr roads
rsivasam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 00:17   #37
BHPian

I wanted to share my recent experience with the 3rd service of my Hunter 350. I was taken aback when the service advisor informed me that the rear brake shoe and brake disc rotor needed replacement at just 5200 kms!
I mean, seriously? It seems quite unusual for these components to wear out so quickly. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their Hunter 350 or any other bike model for that matter?
I'm wondering if there might be some underlying issue causing such premature wear and tear. It's not just about the cost but also the safety concern if these parts are wearing out much faster than expected.
If anyone has any insights or advice on this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. Let's pool our knowledge and experiences to figure this out and ensure our rides are safe and reliable.
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 12:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
I wanted to share my recent experience with the 3rd service of my Hunter 350. I was taken aback when the service advisor informed me that the rear brake shoe and brake disc rotor needed replacement at just 5200 kms!
I mean, seriously? It seems quite unusual for these components to wear out so quickly. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their Hunter 350 or any other bike model for that matter?
I'm wondering if there might be some underlying issue causing such premature wear and tear. It's not just about the cost but also the safety concern if these parts are wearing out much faster than expected.
If anyone has any insights or advice on this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. Let's pool our knowledge and experiences to figure this out and ensure our rides are safe and reliable.
Typically, RE service centers always take the customer for a ride. I received the same feedback about needing to replace the front brake pad at 5k km. I didn't approve the replacement, but I ended up being scammed in a different way. I'm still uncertain whether the brake pad actually needs replacement or not.

That particular third service was a complete scam. Here's what was supposed to be done according to the service schedule:
  • Oil top-up
  • Chain lube
  • Routine wash and clean

To my surprise, not a single one of these tasks was done properly:

They billed me for 400ml of oil, which was absolutely unnecessary since there were no oil leaks, and a general top-up doesn't require that much.
They simply forgot to lube the chain but still charged me for it.
The routine wash and clean left the disc brakes and clutch lever dripping with oil, making it very difficult to drive home with a slipping clutch lever and almost no brakes due to the oil.

I lodged a complaint with RE. Initially, they were hesitant to accept their mistake and took their sweet time with their investigation, which lasted about three weeks. Eventually, they acknowledged the mistake, and the amount charged for excess oil and chain lube was refunded to me.

The main issue here isn't about the money; it's about the trust we place in a brand. I will never trust them again.
akhilshenay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 11:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk98 View Post
Why weren't the RE Service Center able to help me out with the repair, also shooing the customers away telling that is how it is supposed to be ?
Several reasons I can think
1. Acknowledge a warranty replacement
2. Not authorized
3. Incompetence
3. Unavailability of mechanic
4. Lethargic
5. Timing
6. Tone, style & words exchanged
7. Person & mood

Quote:
If this continues, I don't think RE is putting themselves at a good spot in such a competitive market!
Not immediately as RE is on a wild run

Quote:
So, I am still unable to diagnose why my old clutch cable got so hard at just 1300 Km. Currently I have ridden about 150 Km on the replaced cable and have no issues
That's Royal Enfield, niggling issues are complimentary ofcourse once in a while

Last edited by aargee : 27th April 2024 at 11:43.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 17:17   #40
BHPian

Luckily, Royal Enfields are still very simple machines to maintain and fix. There is plenty of support available outside the dealership network. Make use of it. The Royal Enfield lifestyle is very much a DIY mission even today, although their quality control has improved admirably over the years. Hope they keep their motorcycles simple and user friendly for years to come.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 22:59   #41

Hi Dear all,

This is my first vehicle ownership post here on the forum. Bought a Hunter 'dapper white' in October 2022. Put up 11k kms on it. It’s been a very hassle free journey until now.
Bike has nice grunt for daily commute and decent enough for occasional tours!
I dont ride 2 up, so space is not a constraint. Its ok up until 90km/hr, after that the vibes are unsettling. But I being a slow rider don’t need anything more.
The only issue I have faced on the bike is with the tyres that came stock on the bike. Those ceats are bogus to be honest. And lasted only 9k kms. I had to replace the tyres, both front and back at 10k kms, as they had no tread left on them.
Other than this minor niggle, the ownership has been simple! I get an average of 35kmpl in day to day rides. Long haul has given me a staggering 38- 40kmpl. I was surprised.
The worst fuel efficiency I got was 28kmpl on a day of travelling in the city traffic.
Happy riding!

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th April 2024 at 23:05. Reason: Minor formatting edits and typo corrections
vjvarun is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks