Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2024, 18:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
I am planning to restore/resurrect my old CI bullet, which is lying in the parking unused and uncared for past 4-5 years.
Been there, done that.

- Do I regret?
Hell no.

- Will I do it again?
Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
My friend got his 80's bullet restored recently. Costed him close to 80k. Took quite some time. More than a year.
I did mine over 10 years ago. Bike costed me 15K. Restoration costed me 60K. Used the bike for 4 years and sold it for 95K.

I hunted for the bike for over a year as I wanted a bike with the old style registration. Finally got one (GDD 7021).
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 23:22   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Been there, done that.

- Do I regret?
Hell no.

- Will I do it again?
Hell no.
This is the summary of my experience too, somewhat restoring this and having a soft spot for this bike has stopped me from exploring other bikes which I would have loved to. I can keep maximum 2 motorcycles owing to financial and parking restraints. Hope to get a new one soon, preferable the new 390 Adv.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 13:15   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaXX View Post
Wow!! good to see the old thumper still being used for long rides. ....I am planning to De-customize it to make it stock. Any workshop suggestions in and around Whitefield?
Yeah, few months back I rode to goa. Even though I did Ladakh/Umlingla/Sonmarg circuit this year, somehow the goa ride was more contemplative.

I am unaware of workshops in Whitefield but you will see a few mechanics details on this thread used by various BHPians, sadly none in Whitefield area.
Old 5th September 2024, 01:06   #79
BHPian

The farewell ride - sort of :

Over the last year I rediscovered solo riding, mostly because there were nobody else I knew in my friends circle with such a hobby. Earlier I used to be apprehensive in my riding days and had always ridden in groups of at least 2-3 or more when there were more in my acquaintance who would join in for a long ride. With time you realize that problems can come and just going with the flow is the key to remain stress free. And if you want to freak out, you will freak out in three.

I had booked RE motoverse in 2023 but office commitments and other stuff in life kept me away from it. My plan was to ride to goa on the Bullet attend a day or two of the festival and be back. So when it got cancelled I planned to make that trip happen solo or otherwise.

So this year I decided that I should do this trip over a weekend, the plan was extremely simple. Go to the RE garage cafe have something there and then be back the next day. This year in the month of May I decided to give it a shot, even though whole of India was getting roasted and toasted I was steadfast to make the ride happen. Pushing 1400 kms in 2 days I felt would have been too much for the slow Bullet and that too in this heat things can go sour quickly.

To beat the heat I had frozen my water bladder overnight in the freezer, so much so there was cold water and ice throughout the day and even at the hotel in chitradurg I could savour iced water. Only drawback is that when you want to drink a bit more water, it won't be available as the rest of it is frozen

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240503_220457203.jpg

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-screenshot-20240905-005601.jpg

So started after my office work was wrapped up, I decided to work the rest of the hours from KSTDC chitradurga. It was hot if you stop, so I just kept riding at 70 kph via the STRR towards tumkur-sira-chitradurga. Took a break at a ccd near chitradurga as I started hearing some kit-kit-kit sound. With the sound more correlated to the wheel speed than engine RPM I diagnosed that it maybe due to the chain as when accelerating it used to disappear and when decelerating or when there is no tension on the chain it was fine.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240503_123242160.jpg

Also the oil was leaking from the clutch case which is a regular feature as the gaskit for the clutch case is busted , like many things RE. The KSTDC chitradurga is a nice and peaceful property. Even though I have visited the place 2-3 times now, but never visited the fort !!! This is an amazing achievement. Reached the hotel in evening and had dinner. Next morning waited for the RE service center to open, they loosened the chain a little the noise went down but was not totally gone. So I had two options, turn back or push through. I decided to push through whatever happens.

Started from chitradurga at around 10.30 in the scorching heat and road through the glaring sun towards goa. I was doing fine with the heat but later in the day dust was the biggest problem. Drive through the highway till Hubbali was usual sedate riding at 70-75kph. Slowly got used to ignoring the kit-kit noise and enjoyed the ride.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240504_104625448.jpg

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240504_132552761.jpg

Last trip in my car 2 times I had suffered via the ramnagar route (the usual route from Hubbali to goa), so decided on the chorla ghat. This route was however was dusty as hell due to lot of construction work, head to toe I got covered with dust and grime. Reached my hotel in goa after struggling through the city traffic at 8 pm. Quickly changed and had a bath and went for the garage cafe for some cold beverages and some starters.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240504_204837001.png

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240504_211631097.jpg
The flying flea

After the dinner called up my friend and decided to meet the next day for breakfast. Will be meeting after 24 years after school. Lot would have changed but would have been fun to meet anyways. So slept off by 11.30 pm so as to start up my day by 6am. Morning with better lighting I did take this memorable pick, built indeed like a gun, a gun that jams often but still does it's work

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240505_072154636.jpg

As my friend works in south goa so had the opportunity to ride the empty streets of the morning to the tea point. After almost a hour of chating and catching up we parted and thus started a long way to home. This time around I decided to skip the Dharwad section altogether and jion up the NH via Tadas. The road was much pleasurable even though a bit desolate. But I had fun riding the empty road at snails pace (or Bullet pace whatever you may call it).

Passed through castle rock and durg and it was a scenic drive. Had to stop for a train crossing too. Castlerock I remember from the dudhsagar trek I did a long time back during monsoon.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240505_114704766.jpg

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240505_124757090.jpg

Now after I rejoined the highway at Tadas the fun part was over and the grueling ride through the head started. The throat was dry and getting off from the saddle meant to be sweating in the heavy jacket. So kept riding and riding till I could not feel any moisture in my mouth. Stopped at a road side tea point, had a cream roll, two cups of tea and a litre and half of cold water. At around 9 pm I reached the Dobaspet STRR entry and I knew my ride was successfully done.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20240505_210656874.jpg

Why did I name it a farewell ride, well because I did plan not to make the Bullet push through to long riding days > 400 km. So did this dash of 1400km door to door and gave it a farewell party at the RE garage cafe !!
masterChief007 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks