Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 16:58   #1
BHPian

Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green

Hello all,

This is Aditya Trivedi from Rajkot, Gujarat.
I'm an engineer by profession who is keenly interested in how things work, and particularly how things can be made to work longer.
I'm a big fan of reliable stuff in general.

Here's my story on how I made a decision to buy a pre-owned vehicle, what I bought, why I bought it, and how it's been going so far. I'm going to keep this short and sweet as I don't like rambling.

Background:

I own a Suzuki Access 125 as my daily ride and a 2017 Kawasaki ER-6n as my weekend ride (sold after getting the Fazer). After getting married in May 2022, there was a need of another vehicle at home, since she can't drive a car on busy city roads.

Making the decision:

Everyone in my family was surprised when I said I'm looking for a pre-owned vehicle. Indians in general attach a certain stigma to pre-owned vehicles.

- However, after I went deep into reading investment books, I decided that I would not buy depreciating assets. I own a business as well so this wasn't too difficult to understand. After having bought my Kawasaki ER-6n brand new for around ₹5L OTR (resale value ₹2L after trying to sell it for 1+ year) I was keen on avoiding that mistake again.

- On top of that, I just couldn't digest today's new two-wheeler prices - my brother bought a new Yamaha YZF-R15 back in 2008 for ₹1.08L, and this was the exact quote given to me for a brand new Access 125 in 2022!

- BS6 vehicles are complicated in nature and OEMs are not helping that either - the Access 125 has a version with Bluetooth connectivity! How long does one spend on a scooter anyway that they need Bluetooth? Anyway, I like less complicated stuff, and buying a fuel-injected scooter made me slightly nervous because these were all electronics.

- My wife was also very understanding and immediately accepted my decision, something I really did not anticipate, since we were going to buy a used scooter. (My plan was to let her use my MY2018 Access and I would use the pre-owned one)

Narrowing down on the Fazer:

My budget was ₹35-40k.
After looking at more than a few scooters in person (all OLX contacts) I felt as though the market was a bit distorted - all the vehicles looked average to below-average yet commanded a premium. Activas in particular were very expensive. I remember having to sell my 2008 Suzuki Access 125 for a paltry ₹15k when I purchased the current 2018 Suzuki Access 125 - clearly those days are gone. (I sold my 2008 Access with a file of paperwork documenting every service done on it).
I took my wife on a few test rides too, as she too would be riding it, and she wasn't convinced either. Either the engine felt weird, or the handling was off, or the vehicle was totally shot and rattled and creaked, or the bodywork was banged up. And this was for a ₹40k budget, mind you. Only a fourth (25%) of the vehicles we saw even had a running speedometer! And they confidently told us "This vehicle has done xx,000 kms."
Clearly it's a seller's market. I wasn't in a rush so we didn't close on anything.

After looking at the dearth of options, suddenly a light bulb went on in my mind and I thought - why not a bike? I was anyway looking for a city ride that I could use, as the Kawa was too powerful, too heavy, too hot, and expensive to run.

I started looking for a used bike with the below criteria:

1. Single owner vehicles preferred
2. Bodywork, engine, and electricals must be stock and in good condition.
3. Strictly no commuter bikes, as I just couldn't imagine myself riding a Splendor.
4. Good fuel efficiency would be a nice add-on.
5. Must be reliable.
6. Should have done less than 40,000 km.
7. Outright age was of little concern to me - how a vehicle is maintained matters far more than how old it is

I was actually looking for an old Karizma R (pre-ZMR) but couldn't find one that hadn't been driven to death. I test rode a Karizma, and a Pulsar 220.
After looking here and there for a few days, a red 2011 Yamaha Fazer caught my eye. Single owner bike, done 29,xxxkm, and the guy wanted to sell it because he had 4 other scooters in his family and wasn't using this one at all (apparently he got married too and wanted to part with it, haha).
I got the pictures (which I shall put up in a separate post). They weren't very well taken so I decided to go see it myself. I went with my wife.

The guy didn't even bother with a basic clean of the bike prior to showing it to me. I felt good about that, since people cover up their tracks that way. The bike presented just fine. The bodywork had a few scratches, the front tyre was clearly done with, and the chain/sprocket set was gone - it was so stiff that the Yamaha tech told me (after I'd purchased the bike and gone to them) that they had to cut the chain apart to take it off!
A short test ride later, I could not find any evidence of wrongdoing - the bike rode straight as an arrow, the engine sounded OK but for some slight knocking sound, and the bike in general felt it was well put together. Add to that the fact that this guy had not removed his rear view mirrors - this is a common practice in my town and something I just don't understand. I'd developed a bias for vehicles on sale that had their rear view mirrors attached, after spending hours on OLX.
I started thinking seriously now. The seller seemed like a genuine person, he told me that the bike was serviced regularly but not with the company. He admitted it hadn't been serviced in a while as he wasn't using it at all (he claimed to have done 500km over the past year.) I didn't mind. I totally forgot about the engine knock after thinking about everything else (I'll come back to that later.) He had offered it for ₹40k on OLX but up front told me that his last price was ₹34k - I felt like it was a genuine bargain considering the quality of scooters I'd seen at that budget. In true Gujarati style I haggled a little more and we sealed the deal at ₹33k. I paid him in cash and he delivered the bike at my place - thankfully this time it was properly washed. Since he was a little concerned about whether I would transfer the bike or not, he tried to get me to use his RTO agent, but I was more concerned than him so I had my way. We made a formal sales agreement.
This was on 25th June, 2022.

Post-purchase experience:

I immediately took the bike to "Classic" Yamaha, the A.S.S. where my brother takes his R15 in. My brother's R15 isn't in very good condition so I had my doubts, but after speaking with the service advisor it was clear they were experienced, not out to fleece anybody, and technically adept. I got a very good feeling and handed over my bike to them. I told the advisor that I'd purchased this bike pre-owned and wanted him to prepare it such that I wouldn't have to look twice in the 10+ years going forward that I wanted to keep it. He took me up on my word and ran me a bill of about ₹7,000
I didn't mind though, in fact I was pleasantly surprised that so much could be fixed for so cheap (coming from a Kawasaki does that to you, where a chain-sprocket set costs north of ₹15k). I got it back, and I was wowed. The bike rode very well, the chain-sprocket set change had really transformed the ride, and the old, sticky switchgear was replaced with brand new gear on both sides. I'm attaching the scanned copy of the invoice, too.
The mechanic who handled my bike told me while taking delivery (post service) that the engine was unopened and that I got a good deal (just what you want to hear when you've just purchased a used vehicle!)

A month later, the engine felt a bit strange to ride - there were pops and bangs when I let off the throttle. The knocking sound now worried me. I'd made a mental note to think of it seriously after the test ride but I just forgot about it after that. I made a separate post for this, linked here (Engine knocking sound from my motorcycle | Open engine or let it be?). TL;DR, I've decided to ignore the noise for now, as it runs perfectly otherwise.

I decided to try the Motul fuel system cleaner just to see what it would do. I poured the bottle into my fuel tank and rode on. At this point I was getting about 30kmpl fuel efficiency - I was slightly underwhelmed given my hyper-miling style of riding, but I felt this was the norm for a 150cc motorcycle.
The fuel system cleaner promptly caused my carb to start urinating petrol everywhere! It's like my bike developed incontinence
I contacted my trusty mechanic (not Yamaha A.S.S. since they explicitly told me that the carb was fine) and he told me that the carb needed cleaning. I tried some DIY but it didn't work, so I asked him to take care of it.
He made 2 attempts - after the first attempt, the bike felt better but it still popped and the throttle response was uneven. We changed the spark plug in this attempt even though he felt that the current plug was OK. The second attempt was far more thorough, he asked me to buy the air set screw of the carb from Yamaha (a small brass screw that was marked imported from Yamaha Japan and cost ₹510), the carb gaskets, and a bottle of Harpic (yes, the toilet cleaner). He opened up the carb and soaked it in Harpic (said it's a trade secret!) and cleaned it all up thoroughly. Then put it back together.

Fast forward to December 2022, it's been almost 5 months since I bought the Fazer, and there are no hiccups, no issues, and what's more, with my hyper-miling style of riding I'm getting an easy 50+ kmpl on this machine, usually it's around 52-53kmpl. I'm blown away to be frank, because this thing is decently fast and I've done 110+kmph on it too, and I did not expect this good an efficiency figure. Even the previous owner was surprised as he did not get much more than 40kmpl. My 2018 Access 125 with nearly half the power (8.5BHP vs 14.3BHP) and a much lower weight (100kg vs ~140kg) returns the same fuel efficiency!

Here's a summary of the total expenses incurred by me:

₹33,000 for the bike
₹2,500 for RTO expenses
₹7,065 for the Yamaha A.S.S. service
₹730 for Yamaha genuine parts (air set screw, spark plug, etc)
₹600 or so for the Motul fuel system cleaner (purchased engine flush too, to use on my next oil change)
₹600 worth of labour for my mechanic.
₹2,500 for a new front tyre (not yet done but I'm factoring it in now)

This makes for ~₹47,000 in total spent so far, but for a bike that is now ready to go for the next decade. Consider that a new FZS FI (Fazer is not sold in 150cc avatar anymore) has a starting price of ₹1.25L today (and makes LESS power than my Fazer!) I'm pretty chuffed. Add to this the fact that this bike is so simple to work on, and I run out of words to describe this machine. In fact, my mechanic said that even the carb of my 2018 Access 125 is hard to tune because that carb is machine-set in the factory to a micron level and is thus hard to do by hand!

All said and done, I'm very happy with my purchase. Yes that knocking sound does bother me sometimes, but there are no indications of impending doom - no smoky exhaust, no oil leaks, no oil around the silencer tip, no lack of power, not even valve noise, and unbelievable fuel efficiency. I couldn't have asked for more to be honest, and I'm glad I went the pre-owned route. I've already told my wife, much to her horror, that I may never be buying a new vehicle again

As an aside thought, can the Indian government take note of how much carbon emissions I've saved by buying this vehicle? Effectively, I've prevented the manufacture of an entire vehicle, with thousands of components, from coming into being! Yes my Fazer is "only" BS3 certified - but what about the emissions from the casting factories, their machines? And I may be wrong, but due to the pre-"lightweighting" era of this bike, it is bound to have more metal content in kilogram terms, so perhaps it could not only last longer, but have a higher percentage of recyclable components as well! So why are they so keen on getting older vehicles off the roads? I'm sure a lot of lobbying by the auto sector is also at play.

Thanks! Do let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th December 2022 at 11:40. Reason: Adding some bold formatting to the headings :) + linking to knocking thread
ads295 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 17:17   #2
BHPian

re: Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green

Here's a picture sent by the previous owner when I first enquired about the bike.

Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green-fazer-old.jpeg

Here's the bike as it looks now. I got the RVMs replaced as the metal from the old one was flaking off.
Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green-fazer-now.jpeg

Here's the two invoices from Yamaha:
The big one
Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green-classic-yamaha-1.jpg

The small one that mattered a lot
Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green-classic-yamaha-2.jpg
ads295 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads295 View Post
- All said and done, I'm very happy with my purchase.
- In fact, my mechanic said that even the carb of my 2018 Access 125 is hard to tune because that carb is machine-set in the factory to a micron level and is thus hard to do by hand!
- As an aside thought, can the Indian government take note of how much carbon emissions I've saved by buying this vehicle?
- Reading through your journey, somehow, I feel happy too
Appreciating the simplicity and cost effectiveness of the older generation of motorcycles is only possible if you own one.
An excellent purchase and this is the Fazer from the good times of Yamaha India. Loved the styling too.

- That's true about the Access, I have heard the same.

- Brilliantly put, that's the perfect example I was looking for
I really wish a holistic approach to curb pollution is considered and with an example like yours, I find it hard to have any reason against it. But most likely the reasoning will be that majority of folks don't take care and the likes.
But that's also true since your search itself proves the general condition of automobiles in our country.

Enjoy your rides.

Last edited by shancz : 17th December 2022 at 19:17. Reason: typos
shancz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 19:26   #4
BHPian

Nice to see an ownership review of a Fazer 2011. I own one manuf. in March'11, must have run 22-23k kms till now.

The motorcycle is so smooth and effortless to ride. One can ride it at 20 km/hr in the top gear without lugging the engine.

You are definitely calculating the mileage wrong as no one got above 42 km/l on this bike. I was very active on forums around that time and most owners were at 35-40 km/l and I was no different.

The reason why I bought this bike was for its smooth effortless riding experience. This 153 cc motorcycle costed 85k then, which was slightly more than the Pulsar 220 cc, but I never regretted my decision.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 19:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
You are definitely calculating the mileage wrong as no one got above 42 km/l on this bike. I was very active on forums around that time and most owners were at 35-40 km/l and I was no different.
Bhai trust me on this one. I myself was taken aback so I repeated tank to tank again just to make sure. I'm getting a steady 52kmpl, measured across two tankfuls of fuel.
Below are my records of odometer reading and fuel filled:
305.4km, 9.4L - first tankful filled after buying the bike
430km 9.5L
~After this the carb was tuned and the fuel leak was fixed~
493km 9.34L
568km 10.9L

I have used standard grade fuel.
ads295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 20:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Bhai trust me on this one. I myself was taken aback so I repeated tank to tank again just to make sure. I'm getting a steady 52kmpl, measured across two tankfuls of fuel.
Below are my records of odometer reading and fuel filled:
305.4km, 9.4L - first tankful filled after buying the bike
430km 9.5L
~After this the carb was tuned and the fuel leak was fixed~
493km 9.34L
568km 10.9L

I have used standard grade fuel.
I'd suggest you use the fuelio Appt to calculate FE Readings. That way you'll have a database of the same
Old 17th December 2022, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting a steady 52kmpl, measured across two tankfuls of fuel.
Since you had mentioned about your hypermiling way of riding, this is not surprising for a 150cc bike.

My RTR180 does 40-45kmpl on an average and when riding easy on highways it easily brushes past the 50kmpl mark but that way of riding doesn't happen that often.
Was there something different about the Fazer which worsened its FE ?
No experience with that bike, just curious

Last edited by shancz : 17th December 2022 at 23:13. Reason: corre
Old 19th December 2022, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Re: Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green

It all depends on the riding style. I drive as if I have no brakes, which forces me to slow down and accelerate less.
Other than that, the faulty carb tuning and petrol leak was the main reason for my bad FE. Now let's see, I'm trying to find out if using Shell helps my efficiency.
ads295 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 13:55   #9
BHPian

Re: Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green

Very nice write up. Owning a 2013 BS3 FZ myself , I simply fail to understand any need for a bike upgrade to an electric one , even for my usage. The bike still excites me off every single time I take it out for a spin and absolutely see no reason to sell it off.
Old 19th December 2022, 16:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Totally believable and great story by the way. Post more pictures.

Coming to the mileage part even my r15v3 returns around 50 km/l and this is without trying one bit, infact this is almost always driven enthusiastically with redlining and even near top speed involved from time to time but obviously only when required or possible.
All this in 70-30 Highway-City conditions with hardly ever turning the engine off at traffic lights kinda stuff.
If I were to cruise it steadily at say 100-120 Km/h, I believe it would easily return 55+.
Astonishing stuff really, the guys who I ride with have to almost fill their bikes up wrt mine in 2:1 ratio. Their bikes are more powerful though. (KTMs and Interceptors)
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 22:27   #11
BHPian

Wow bro! Excellent details of your motorcycle. You have shown us the meticulous planning and execution with which you got this entire deal done.

My 2 cents would be, if you feel there is a need to change the front tyre, then do it tomorrow itself. No compromises on safety please. And someone said, “two wheels move the soul”. Wishing you and your better half many kilometres in the time to come!
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Congratulations, I too own a 2009-10 Yamaha Fazer Ltd. Edition, which was abandoned by me for a couple of years.

The motorcycle bug again bit me, I had almost booked RE Interceptor but due to ergonomics, I changed my mind and thought of buying the CL350 Reborn. Again changed my decision because that didn't seem like much of an upgrade from my existing first bike i.e. Fazer. So finally, I decided to revive & use my old bike until Classic/Bullet 650 is launched.

A couple of things that needed attention included the AIS(air induction system), the carburettor & front brakes.

AIS was making tick-tick noise, causing the bike to misfire & giving starting troubles.
I disassembled & serviced/cleaned it which almost rectified both the issues but I guess I'll have to replace it as the tick-tick noise & starting issues have again relapsed.

The carburettor(single wire) needs replacement too, the slider & cylinder are worn out, ais+carb. both could be responsible for the missing & starting issues. The single wire carb. is quite expensive, close to ₹6k.

For the front brakes, I've ordered the bookie & clipper kit & will bleed the brakes.

Tyres needed replacement, I might go in for Mrf Revz MG + Mogrip meteor or Apollo S1 + Tramplr st - stock size.

Will replace the engine oil+ oil filter, the manual recommends 20w40/50 mineral oil, by mistake I got Yamalube 10w40 which I'll have to exchange with the recommended grade in case Yamaha hasn't stopped selling the 20w40 oil, otherwise will look for other brands. As far as the quantity is concerned I'm still a little unsure, the manual says 1L periodic oil change & 1.20L total quantity, I don't know what that actually mean. In the forums, owners recommend from as low as 800ml to 1.20L.

What quantity do you suggest(with & without oil filter)?
Attached Thumbnails
Purchase & ownership review of a 2011 Yamaha Fazer | And comments on being green-pxl_20231003_1212517242.jpg  

Old 8th February 2024, 13:57   #13
BHPian

Hello all,

Thought I'd post a small update regarding my overall experience with this bike after owning it for 1+ year and for 7,000+ km.

I'll explain my mindset towards used vehicle purchases as well.

- Approach a used vehicle purchase with the same mindset as a new vehicle purchase - buy it to be used frequently, buy it to keep for at least 5 more years if not more.

- The vehicle should be fundamentally OK i.e. no major bodywork, no major engine work, no major electrical work should be pending. Generally a first owner vehicle is a safer bet.

- Choose a reliable, mature base for a used vehicle purchase. Don't buy platforms that were new at the time. The Fazer/FZ were in the market for a long time and had no known issues. I would run away from a first gen KTM Duke 200, for example, and Indian manufacturers in general. Remember, you're investing in a platform and not just the specific vehicle you're buying.

- Don't be afraid to invest in bringing the vehicle up to spec. Have confidence on your choice, don't assume that the vehicle will drop dead and have to be scrapped at any given moment. I've spent a smidgen over ₹20k on this bike, including the engine work (Engine knocking sound from my motorcycle | Open engine or let it be?), and to refresh ALL the items (switchgear, chain-sprocket set, RVMs) which weren't up to snuff. This is 60% of the bike's purchase price, which may sound like bad maths to some, but is actually an investment considering how long I intend to keep this one.

- Keep and USE the vehicle you've bought. Sometimes people buy and sell vehicles in a short time without even enjoying them. Stay with your purchase and fix some issues that crop up that you didn't expect (there will always be such problems). Any finance calculations quickly go down the drain if one keeps swapping vehicles.

All said and done, I'm very happy with the purchase of my Fazer. My daily commute has recently increased to 30km and now involves long straights which has made it even more enjoyable compared to my Access 125. The bike is quite a looker and still gets stares by my colleagues and passersby who must be thinking I've plonked lakhs on buying such a machine.

I'm quite certain I may never buy a brand new vehicle again.

P.S. My next adventure has already begun, in the form of a V6 saloon (My Pre-Owned 2005 Hyundai Sonata 2.7L V6 | Ownership Review, Restoration & TLC)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannvvs View Post
What quantity do you suggest(with & without oil filter)?
Sorry mate, I saw your query just now. 1.2L is when the engine is completely drained, like it was when my engine was rebuilt. You'll be fine with 1L with or without the filter change. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ads295 : 8th February 2024 at 14:04.
ads295 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks