Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 10:33   #1

Need your advice on choosing a motorbike for a lean person

Hello folks,
I have recently shifted to Bangalore and planning to buy a bike for commuting to office and rare touring. I am 26 and lean(5'8 and weigh about 60)

Requirements
retro, sports-retro category. Never liked faired and streetfighter bikes
Dual Channel ABS
Assist and Slipper clutch

Narrowing down
As I am lean, I am trying to avoid REs, Jawas and Yezdis due to their weight.

Which leaves me to one - Svartpilen. I have test rode the bike and I loved it's manoeuvrability and its upright posture. But, I tip toe to balance it. Also, the bike had too many vibrations. When I asked about it, the showroom agent said that it is a 2020 model hence the vibrations. I have also seen youtube videos complaining about the low ground clearance

I also test rode the CB 300R. Even though its 20kg lighter, I felt the husky was easily flickable. For all practical purposes, the CB300R checks all boxes, refined, higher ground clearance, lower seat height, but I am skeptical of their service https://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-...service-centre + the price tag

Any advice on choosing between these two? Happy to consider other suggestions as well.
wasambasam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 14:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Need your advice on choosing a motorbike for a lean person

Honda bigwing service is generally good across the country. There can be exceptions though. Parts delay is an issue with Bigwing. However, Mysore Road topline service centre is quite good with parts compared to VFM Honda in ulsoor. Don't worry about your physic and buy the bike you like. If I am 5'8" I would rather go for RE or KTM.

I don't think RE are bad as some people imagine. They may be poor in the past, but they have come over a long way. Sure, there can be issues like Relay or cone set, but the RE owners group and accessories are quite huge. You can find solutions to these small niggles.

The CB300R I have had a fair share of niggles as well, such as cone set /Handlebar tight, ABS light flickering etc. So please buy the one you like.

Last edited by amvj : 10th November 2022 at 14:55.
amvj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 14:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Two friends who ride bikes quite a bit have recommended the Xpulse 200 to me. I am not heavily built, and about the same height. The heavier bikes are not for me either. I did try the Xpulse once, and found it quite good. If I go by their experience on the bike, and their experiences compared to the other bikes they have used - I can confidently pass on the same recommendation to you. Which ever you pick, take as many TD's as possible so you are able to compare the candidates well.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 15:12   #4
BANNED

Why not simply head over to the Yamaha showroom and pick up an MT-15? These bikes are designed a lot better for riders that are about 5'8", it will be much smoother than the austrian machine and will give you the best mileage which really ought to be a factor when commuting Retro looks can easily be achieved with a simple round headlamp and a few other reductions in plastic cladding.
IshaanIan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 15:50   #5
BHPian

I weigh around 75 and find it a bit difficult to manage even 160-170 kgs in certain parking scenarios and at slow speeds. Sprained my back trying to push my bike up an incline recently.

If you weigh ~60 kgs, good decision to stay with lighter bikes. But then, it also depends on how fit you are. If you're covid fit, stay with lighter bikes. If you've been keeping your health and general fitness up and have the strength and height leverage for it, your choices can be wider.

Anyway, if it's lighter bikes, the CB300R is the gold standard of weight to power. But it's not exactly a retro themed bike. It just happens to have a round headlamp, that's all. Same for the 'pilens, the Xpulses, and the FZ-X. The Ronin has a bit more retro in its design, and seems to have the best set of compromises for your requirements.

There's also the kawasaki W175 coming next month. It's down on power and tech but it's a proper retro machine in the sense that it features decades old specs. It's lighter than most bikes in the segment. The small motor means you probably won't be missing a slipper clutch. It doesn't get dual channel ABS, but drum brakes are usually very adjustable for bite and leverage, enough to not really feel the absence of ABS.

Needless to say, test ride thoroughly before making a decision.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasambasam View Post
Any advice on choosing between these two? Happy to consider other suggestions as well.
CB300R is a good choice no doubt about it & don't let one incident hamper you from buying a motorcycle that you can afford & love to own. You may want to check out my C250R ownership thread as why one bad review doesn't matter to stay away from a owning a motorcycle that you like.

And, human weight has got nothing to do with weight of motorcycle. I hover around 68 Kg, but ride Interceptor 650 (weighs 212 Kg on RC); it's just the physical fitness & ability to balance that matters, which ofcourse detoriarates with age.

Last edited by aargee : 10th November 2022 at 18:20.
aargee is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also test rode the CB 300R. Even though its 20kg lighter, I felt the husky was easily flickable. For all practical purposes, the CB300R checks all boxes, refined, higher ground clearance, lower seat height,.
CB300R is good, but given you didn't put a budget limit, why not get something more long term, like a Z650 RS? At least take a look?
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:15   #8
BANNED

Based on what you say, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the KTM 390 Adv, try it out.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements
retro, sports-retro category. Never liked faired and streetfighter bikes
Dual Channel ABS
Assist and Slipper clutch
I would suggest a TVS Ronin for such a use case. It is very light, has next to no vibrations and a couple of my friends who own it are getting mileage figures of 40kmpl in the city and 60 kmpl on the highway. It has a decent amount of power on offer and sounds marvellous. It does have dual channel ABS as well as a Slipper Clutch. Suspension is also pretty soft and can take on moderately bad roads without a problem and is also great for everyday commuting and highway stints if you are not a speed freak (It can cruise effortlessly between 80-100kmph). Do check it out for yourself and take a call. If you want an ADV, the KTM twins seem like a good choice.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:12   #10
BHPian

I honestly feel we need more input from you mate! Like your budget, and your riding style preference, in the sense upright (Adventure tourers) or sporty (R15 and the lots) or cruiser type (TVS Zepline, etc). I guess if you are being a bit more detailed in your necessities it would be really amazing for us to streamline our recommendations.

To add some more lines to the post, I do feel the CB300R would be an amazing buy. And Honda is known for reliability and peaceful ownership days (My dad still rides his 11-year-old Shine at 80,000 KMs on the odo and still works like a charm). And Impulse too makes a lot of sense but only if that tickles ur taste buds. Then there are Yamaha, Suzuki, TVS, and the lots. But you see the problem here.... We need a hint or a mark to set a boundary to our imaginations (for example Your Wallet Size)

Hoping to hear from you soon! Have a good day!
PetroHeado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:29   #11
BHPian

MT-15 is a good option for daily commutes but if you want some more premium looks and more power CB300R would be a good choice. The latter one is more neo-retro than the former. CB300R would be a bit more expensive to purchase, ride and maintain though. Don’t rule out MT-15 easily without checking it out in real. I have ridden it and it’s an all-rounder in performance and reliability. Looks are also cool if not that retro.
neochanger is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

Which leaves me to one - Svartpilen. I have test rode the bike and I loved it's manoeuvrability and its upright posture. But, I tip toe to balance it. Also, the bike had too many vibrations. When I asked about it, the showroom agent said that it is a 2020 model hence the vibrations. I have also seen Youtube videos complaining about the low ground clearance
Svartpilen is the right choice, if you like its style..
Its light, nimble and supported by our Bajaj. You cannot go wrong with it.

But, you have to be sure that, it fits your frame and you are comfortable on it.

Any doubts, just switch to CB300, without thinking.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,
I have recently shifted to Bangalore and planning to buy a bike for commuting to office and rare touring. I am 26 and lean(5'8 and weigh about 60)

I am 5'11 and weigh around 60kgs. I wanted a Royal Enfield Interceptor, but after strong opposition from my dad, I got myself a 390 Duke. I don't regret one bit. And at times I felt happy that my dad opposed my decision of getting a RE.
My dad felt that I will not be able to manage the weight of an RE and the interceptor looked too bulky for my appearance. After a recent test ride I totally understood why my dad opposed my decision of getting a RE.
Some suggestions from my side:

Bikes you should be looking at: Gixxer 250 twins, Honda CB300R, Bajaj Pulsar 200NS, Bajaj Dominar 400(if you can manage the weight), Yamaha MT15(light, nice and flickable in the city),Royal Enfield Meteor 350(low seat is a blessing)

Bikes you should avoid: all KTM's, BMW G310 triplets, TVS RR310, RE650 twins, RE Himalayan, Hero Xpulse(heard it has a tall seat)

Happy shopping!
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 07:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I can confidently pass on the same recommendation to you.
The only issue with Xpulse is the lack of Dual channel ABS. I have slipped on a bike that doesn't have ABS and do not want to compromise on this. Let me know if this makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Anyway, if it's lighter bikes, the CB300R is the gold standard of weight to power. .
Rightfully agree! I'd like to own a retro bike but I'd want it to be nimble too. All this led to just narrowing down bikes with round headlamps

The Ronin is a sweet package but the front set pegs and the bulky fuel tank is not for me. I've heard about the W175, but its lack of ABS makes me sceptical. I've experienced the need for an ABS first-hand and do not want to compromise on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
CB300R is good, but given you didn't put a budget limit, why not get something more long term, like a Z650 RS? A
Have a budget cap of 3 lakh so the 300R is also stretching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeado View Post
I honestly feel we need more input from you mate!
Yeah makes total sense! I would like to ride with an upright stance, slightly aggressive is also acceptable (eg. the svartpilen). Anything that does not have front set pegs or aggressive upper body leaning.

My Wallet size has a cap of 3lakh, so 300r is also a stretch for me. Hence leaning towards the Husky, even though I have to tip-toe the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Svartpilen is the right choice, if you like its style.
I love the svartpilen. It fits my budget, love its posture, but the only issue is the seat height and the CB300 would be stretching the budget hence the hesitation in finalising a bike.

Mod Note - Please use multi-quote, quote only relevant portion and proofread before posting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th November 2022 at 07:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts, spell.
wasambasam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 08:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Some points to consider:
- For ease during commuting/city traffic, seat width and seat height are important factors. A narrower seat will feel lower than a wider one for a similar height.
- Same applies to weight and weight distribution.

So take a TD before choosing/striking-out any motorcycle.

Considering your requirements, I too think that the CB300R at 146kg/801mm, is the closest match. The Svartpilen at 842mm will be relatively difficult in city traffic.

Needless advice out of personal experience
I stand at 5'5", so the concept of flat footing is alien to me except some low slung cruisers. This applies to my RTR180 and even scooters (since I sit around the mid crest of the seat). At a stop I am one leg down and leaning the bike slightly on it with the other foot on the footrest.
You're at least 3 inches taller than me so consider trying this option out too since you seem to like the Svartpilen.
If the bike is light this shouldn't be a problem IMHO.

Last edited by shancz : 11th November 2022 at 09:06. Reason: free advice
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks