Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 08:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda CB350 RS | Initial Impressions & Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieAB View Post
[b]
The MID showed 35.3 kmpl average for Trip A.
However post filling up 7.09L for the second tankful, I realised that the real world economy calculated to only 30.2 kmpl (214/7.09).
How can the two have such a big variance?
I also was in the same boat as you. But eventually had quite a lot of realisation. Will share that below.
1) The fuel gauge has 6 bars and from my riding experience each represent approximate 2 litres each. So Fuel gauge only covers 12 out of the published 15 litres of fuel capacity.
2) This published fuel capacity seems to be wrong as well for some reason. I ride till the fuel shows 1 Bar. (I do not wait till this 1st bar starts blinking). At this stage, i have noticed the tank easily takes 15+ litres of fuel. So effectively the capacity is 17 odd litres.
3) While filling up. After around 11 odd litres, the tank has to be slow fed like a baby, but it does take 4+ litres more.

Even though i do this practice, i am not sure i would recommed practice of filling up so much to anybody else.

Once i started filling up till this level. I noticed that the MID value and the tankful to tankful value are decently close.
For this 15+ litres i get more than 715 Km per tankful.

Below is a snapshot of my experiments with fuel efficiency.
Honda CB350 RS | Initial Impressions & Accessories-capture.jpg
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 09:20   #47
BHPian

What I inferred from the dealership is that there is close to 3 litres of fuel in the pump and tubes. There is still 3 odd litres in the bike when the fuel indicator starts flashing, saying 50 kms range.
Old 10th November 2022, 10:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Once i started filling up till this level. I noticed that the MID value and the tankful to tankful value are decently close.
For this 15+ litres i get more than 715 Km per tankful.

Below is a snapshot of my experiments with fuel efficiency.
Attachment 2377647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
What I inferred from the dealership is that there is close to 3 litres of fuel in the pump and tubes. There is still 3 odd litres in the bike when the fuel indicator starts flashing, saying 50 kms range.
Quite honestly both these arguments wont help explain what I'm experiencing. Both the times I got a full tank, it was at the same Shell and even the same hose. The process was very simple, insert hose and fill until it auto-stops.

Even if the pump and tubes have 3 extra Litres, it will not matter if you use this process.
ValkyrieAB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Quite honestly both these arguments wont help explain what I'm experiencing. Both the times I got a full tank, it was at the same Shell and even the same hose. The process was very simple, insert hose and fill until it auto-stops.
The thing i am explaining is that do not trust the auto cut off. I think the tank design is such that after around 11 litres mark, the flow is constrained a bit. After that, you will be able to still fill in short bursts. Every time the fuel reaches the top, drops down in level in the next 2-3 seconds. Allow you to fill more. You are able to achieve somewhere closer to the brim at around 15.3 litres in my case.

Even in my KTM, if do not trust auto cut off, If i follow auto cut off, i can fill only around 6.5 litres in a tank with published capacity of 10 litres even if the display shows low fuel level. If i fill till brim, i am able to fill 8.3 odd litres.
Old 10th November 2022, 12:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Even if the pump and tubes have 3 extra Litres, it will not matter if you use this process.
This is no argument. It is a point of view. It depends how you want to interpret it. If it doesn't help you, cool, but where is the agenda to argue?
Old 10th November 2022, 14:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
This is no argument. It is a point of view. It depends how you want to interpret it. If it doesn't help you, cool, but where is the agenda to argue?
Haha no no... It's a figure of speech...
This is what I meant by argument
b. A fact or statement put forth as proof or evidence; a reason: The current low mortgage rates are an argument for buying a house now.
c. A set of statements in which one follows logically as a conclusion from the others.

Last edited by ValkyrieAB : 10th November 2022 at 14:04.
Old 10th November 2022, 14:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
The thing i am explaining is that do not trust the auto cut off. I think the tank design is such that after around 11 litres mark, the flow is constrained a bit. After that, you will be able to still fill in short bursts. Every time the fuel reaches the top, drops down in level in the next 2-3 seconds. Allow you to fill more. You are able to achieve somewhere closer to the brim at around 15.3 litres in my case.
I understand... But if I use the same process both times, it still wont be exactly the same amount in a full tank? Is that what you're referring to? If that's the case, then yes, it could explain the difference - first time full tank held X litres and then second time X+1 Litres etc.... Though I checked the level visually both times and it came till just where the neck of the tank joins the main tank. Anyway, Fuel Economy wasn't a big criteria for this purchase anyway
Old 10th November 2022, 19:26   #53
BHPian

Spanner symbol flashing on CB350 RS MID

Honda CB350 RS | Initial Impressions & Accessories-0826800d9b984273b15573ed3f7f723f.jpeg

So a spanner symbol suddenly started flashing today below my gear position indicator.
Texted the Honda service supervisor. This starts flashing once it’s time for service (coded based on preset kms on odo - 750 kms in this case for first service. Guessing it’ll flash again at 5k for second service)

These were the instructions I followed to eliminate the symbol:

1. Turn the key to “On” position (engine remains off). Your MID should come alive.
2. Press the upper button on the console and keep it pressed.
3. Turn the key to “Off” position (keep the button pressed).
4. Turn the key to “On” position again.
5. Wait for Spanner symbol to disappear and release the button.

Last edited by ValkyrieAB : 10th November 2022 at 19:27. Reason: Formatting
Old 17th December 2022, 22:26   #54
BHPian

Guys, do you hear a hauling sound when you down shift from 5th to 4th gear? Mine is just 700 kms run, would like to know if anyone had a same experience and if this sound would go away after some usage?
Old 18th December 2022, 02:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
Guys, do you hear a hauling sound when you down shift from 5th to 4th gear? Mine is just 700 kms run, would like to know if anyone had a same experience and if this sound would go away after some usage?
Cant say I have... Can you describe it a bit more? I just rode it for 20 kms on a highway today and didn't notice anything... But I wasn't looking for it either.
Old 18th December 2022, 09:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Cant say I have... Can you describe it a bit more? I just rode it for 20 kms on a highway today and didn't notice anything... But I wasn't looking for it either.
Yeah sure, so this is the sound that most probably comes from the slipper clutch while down-shifting from 5th to 4th, this sound is very mild while shifting from 4th to 3rd, so one wouldn't notice it. But on highways, say while climbing a flyover, if I down-shift from 5th (speed 80km/h and decreasing to 70km/h) to 4th this sound is very prominent as if some lubrication is needed in the slipper clutch while adjusting gears. I am quite sure that I haven't ripped the bike in its run-in period and I discovered this sound in first few days itself. See if you can catch it now, or else I will try to record it and post.
Old 18th December 2022, 19:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
Yeah sure, so this is the sound that most probably comes from the slipper clutch while down-shifting from 5th to 4th, this sound is very mild while shifting from 4th to 3rd, so one wouldn't notice it. But on highways, say while climbing a flyover, if I down-shift from 5th (speed 80km/h and decreasing to 70km/h) to 4th this sound is very prominent as if some lubrication is needed in the slipper clutch while adjusting gears. I am quite sure that I haven't ripped the bike in its run-in period and I discovered this sound in first few days itself. See if you can catch it now, or else I will try to record it and post.
It’s possible i missed it due to one big reason - I’ve had the habit for a few years of blipping the throttle on downshifts for smoother changes. I’ll try it without. Or maybe it’s just a one-off fault with your bike.

PS: Learnt to do this from a friend who used to ride his Victor 125 like a superbike.
Took some time to get in the habit, but the changes are so much smoother. Have been doing it all through my Karizma days to the R15 and now the CB350RS - even though the last two have much more advanced Gearboxes and Clutches.
ValkyrieAB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 08:30   #58
BHPian

I am pretty sure that the sound is not something to worry about. I've heard that sound in many bikes, especially bigger displacement bikes with slipper clutch. It is present on my bike and I kind of enjoy that sound. Its much more prominent on the interceptor 650.
josephilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:37   #59
BHPian

Hello folks!
Well I have an itch. An itch to change two things on my CB350RS, one of which bothers me immensely and the other is just a vanity project.
1. I’d like to change my rear view mirrors to ones that are more harmonious to the design of the bike. I’m currently running the ones from the CB300R which while excellent in function, are quite disappointing in form. They look cheap and belong on a commuter. I was thinking of going for the Avenger mirrors. Would you know if they’re a direct fit?
2. I’m thinking of getting a tan colored seat cover to compliment the blue tank. Any suggestions on a good place in Bangalore? Also anything i should keep in mind while getting the covers? I don’t need them to be padded heavily, just equal to the dealer covers would serve fine.
Old 16th July 2023, 20:23   #60

Hi @ValkyrieAB, amazing thread. I own a CB 350RS too in red.
For the seat cover I'd suggest "Roa seat covers".
Do you hear any disturbing sound from the engine post 80kmph or when the engine is too hot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks