Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Ant attack on my motorcycle

Mod note: Please restrict to 2 smilies per post. Thanks.

Hi Guys, I have this strange issue with my new bike. 2 days back I sprayed this silicon spray to keep the bike shiny.

Now there are ants attacking this fork nut like it's the best candy in town. Normally I keep my bike shrouded with a cloth to avoid the neighbour's cat attacking my seat. (See what it did to my scooter BTW)

Today when I tried to take out the bike I noticed this colony of ants only at the base of handlebar and fork nut. And a few on the front of the tank. It seems like its attracted to the soft white lint like substance formed there (not sure if its fungus, but why would fungus form around the grease? ) Also its not the lint from that white turkey towel. It doesn't shed lint.

When I hold that white stuff it's like fine dust that you may see behind your TV stand or on top shelf etc when you have not cleaned it for weeks. When I try to blow it away it just disappears. It had also formed lightly around my tank cap.

Any idea what this could be and how to solve it. (No I haven't spilled any sugary stuff on my bike and my kids are all grown up) And no dead animals, insects were found anywhere near it. Never seen anything like this in my 40 years of riding/driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_044608394.jpg  

Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_044621184.jpg  

Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_043500235.jpg  

Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_043210192.jpg  

Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_043736514.jpg  

Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_043320336.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th October 2022 at 16:43.
webjunk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 19:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ant attack on my motorcycle

In case it helps, here is some advice on solving ant attacks in cars (Ants in the bonnet / Car). Boric acid + sugar balls proved effective when they attacked my car. Never seen the little rascals again since.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Are these the weaver ants ? If yes, try find the nest. These can be tough to get rid of.
Old 12th October 2022, 21:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quite strange and unfortunate but I am very interested in how the silicone spray caused this. Your pics do indicate that it could either be a by product and the covered cloth aided in forming the white stuff by retaining humidity and shielding from sunlight.
But still a wild guess at best.

I would say for starters wipe and spray the area with WD40 if it doesn't mess with any component (doesn't look like it).
I have found WD40 to be quite effective at getting rid of various moths etc. so guessing that the petroleum based compound isn't liked by insects.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post

Hi Guys, I have this strange issue with my new bike. 2 days back I sprayed this silicon spray to keep the bike.

When I hold that white stuff it's like fine dust that you may see behind your TV stand or on top shelf etc when you have not cleaned it for weeks. When I try to blow it away it just disappears. It had also formed lightly around my tank cap.

Any idea what this could be and how to solve it. (No I haven't spilled any sugary stuff on my bike and my kids are all grown up) And no dead animals, insects were found anywhere near it. Never seen anything like this in my 40 years of riding/driving.
First I thought that it I white mold on bike. But since you had used silicon spray 2 days back, it should not be mold. The spray is probably not silicon spray, but is some organic substance marketed as silicon spray, and it could be ant food. Ants might have chipped it away from the bike.

And what you have seen behind your TV stand, is certainly white mold, and you need to take care of it more than the ants. Bangalore weather is conducive to quick spread of mold. I know it because I have been struggling to contain the mold in my house.

Any anti-cockroach spray at base of bike should help keep the ants away. Boric acid did not help me with these weaver ants in my garden.
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
The spray is probably not silicon spray, but is some organic substance marketed as silicon spray, and it could be ant food. Ants might have chipped it away from the bike.
Its a mould release spray (used in metal casting) marketed as weather proof spray for high temp surfaces. So I used it on my engine primarily and on few other powder coated areas. Will update if I find out the reason or solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Ant attack on my motorcycle-pxl_20221012_1746329132.jpg  

webjunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 07:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a mould release spray (used in metal casting) marketed as weather proof spray for high temp surfaces. So I used it on my engine primarily and on few other powder coated areas.
I have bought the same spray to try out lubricating the house's door latches(normally using WD40/engine oil) and probably the car windows but will skip the car windows for now.

I tried spraying over the scooter's exhaust i.e. the powder coated and chrome areas and it maintains the shine at least 7-10 days post application. Wanted to try if it restores the plastic trim but will double check on that after your experience.
Old 15th October 2022, 20:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mod note: Please restrict to 2 smilies per post. Thanks. Never seen anything like this in my 40 years of riding/driving.
This happens sometimes. The culprit perhaps could be the cloth cover that you've been covering the bike and scooter with. A soiled cloth or a peculiar smelling cloth does attract ants, and once those ants have sprayed their romones along the way, they march all the way to their territory.

Start off with washing the bike/scooter with surfactant based detergent thoroughly and a thorough air dry. Secondly, use concentrated phenyl like Lizol to clean the parking area of the bike, let it dry and then use a brand new piece of clothing or a dedicated cover.

Lastly, mark the perimeter of the vehicles with Laxman Rekha Insecticide chalk for a few days and see if the ants dabble again. Once the ants find it hard to reach, they usually are deterred, unless crumbs and leftovers make the march an adamant one.

Shouldn't be worry, it does a few days of cold war, but keep at it, it will work. BTW, Silicone spray in no way attracts ant.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 10:48   #9
BHPian

Put turmeric powder , a pinch of it at the affected area and use the same as borderline around the bike for overnight, the ants will never again attack the vehicle.
Old 25th October 2022, 10:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I face problems with those little black ants getting on to the Storme. The Storme is parked in the compound, with plants along side, and these ants climb on especially in the rainy season.

Solution ?
I spray diesel. I consider this safe for the paint and plastics and the smell till it goes away isnt anything outside of the vehicle itself.
Old 25th October 2022, 21:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I face problems with those little black ants getting on to the Storme. The Storme is parked in the compound, with plants along side, and these ants climb on especially in the rainy season.

Solution ?
I spray diesel. I consider this safe for the paint and plastics and the smell till it goes away isnt anything outside of the vehicle itself.
Diesel will make rubber parts lose its elasticity and become rigid especially gaskets, oil and dust seal of shock absorber. I prefer to use wd40 which is better in my observation.

Why not try the lakshman rekha poison for ants all around the bike on floor where the ant is accessing the bike. Should keep bike free from ants and harmful materials can be avoided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks