Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350

As you might have guessed from the topic, I’m in a conundrum regarding my bike which has been passed onto me by my uncle as he stopped using it. It has run about 30k km and is in a relatively poor condition right now(exhibit 3).

The bike is powered by the infamous AVL engine. Some history -
I’ve retro modded the bike twice in the past where once I made it look like Classic chrome 500 (exhibit1) and once into stealth black classic (exhibit 2). I’ve asked around and this time restoration and modification should easily cost north of 30k INR and I’ve a scrambler or bobber look in mind.

Ignoring the emotional value which I don’t have a lot of with the bike, does it make sense to splurge a third time on the bike, especially given it is non self start and non disc brake in this day and age?

I’ve already booked Continental GT 650 but only thing making me think about this bike is that old bullets are something you care about and pass on instead of ignoring them. What do you all think?

Exhibit 1 -
Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-6a8faa1e9ec84152972b58d8c5dda3cf.jpeg

Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-2d9fa211c17145d5a367e1d5bf4f7214.jpeg
Exhibit 2 - probably one of the worst paint jobs ever.
Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-96ba9c1d47ab49e6b26ca3a49b98e074.jpeg
Exhibit 3 -
Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-2a2af4a66aa34bb49101134c8c83d31f.jpeg

Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-5298daa19f0a4ce898b3680e7965d9ec.jpeg

Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-31aa8d3bd172406e94ef2a42a44f0c59.jpeg

Last edited by shivamk11 : 26th September 2022 at 20:48.
shivamk11 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 08:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Restore or ignore? 2005 Royal Enfield Machismo 350

Ignore! Old vehicles take up a lot of time & effort to keep running. Unless the vehicle is extremely unique / a collectible or you have a lot of sentimental value with it (you said you don't), better to sell and enjoy modern machinery instead.

You could spend the time & money saved on touring some more with the Continental GT 650 .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 15:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Ignoring the emotional value which I don’t
it is non self start and non disc brake in this day and age?
I’ve already booked Continental GT 650
You have the answer already, dispose it and enjoy the GT650.

Or

If parking and money is not a constraint, get the GT and retain this bike as well. Use it as a project bike for future.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 15:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Ignore it. 2005 Machismo isn't the 'retro'/'Bullet' that one aims to keep for ol' time's sake. Those are atleast a decade or two (or even more) before that which would warrant thinking of retaining them. Sell this off and enjoy your GT650.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 15:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Let your uncle know and give this bike away. I also see an Activa that is collecting the wrong type of dust .. may be give that one away too.

You dont want to spend money, and the AVL engine. No disc brakes or self-start are lesser deal-breakers.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 17:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Older REs usually get a respectable price for their condition and age, so sell it off and enjoy the GT650.

Also do the same to the Eterno ?

Hope the documents are in line, please do if not so.
A friend had to scrap a couple of bikes because he didn't sell them when he could and eventually the vehicles got old with expired registrations which made scrapping for a pittance as the only option.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:31   #7

AVL/LB was not a very famous engine, and the slipping pushrods made it very unreliable (don't know if u faced problem with the pushrods, but I did, a lot!). It can't be your daily driver, and I assume it was never one. Old motorcycles are impractical and sourcing parts for AVL/LB is a nightmare unless u live in the southern parts of India. People restore and keep old motorcycles running only for one reason, which is Passion. If you have passion for your motorcycle (afterall it's a RE), so it's worth doing all the hassle, monetary and mental both. But only if you have passion. If you don't have an indomitable passion and love for the motorcycle, get rid of if if you get respectable price for it (PPL quote ridiculous price for the AVL/LB Bulls), and if u don't get the desired money for the bike, keep it if it's running or invest the least possible money to rejuvenate it (like 5-10k) and keep it alongside with your 650, what's the problem in keeping it, it won't bully ur 650 in the parking lot I believe. In short it's upto ur passion n love for the machine and the monetary statistics.

Happy Thumping
Indraneil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 22:51   #8
BHPian

Someone once told me that the answer to any 'should I' question is a 'No' as a thumb rule.

It fits the bill here. Sell it.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 01:29   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If your Machismo was in an original condition, I would have suggested you to keep it. But it being modified and then not being used, I would go with what everyone says " Forget it and enjoy the GT650".

Whats the story on the Honda Eterno? It looks to be in good condition, but just dusty. I would recommend you to sell the Machismo and get the Eterno fixed. It's a rare scooter.
Old 9th October 2022, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Thank you for the advice everyone. I'll take the call soon based on the monetary requirements of the machine and if I really have that much passion for this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
If your Machismo was in an original condition, I would have suggested you to keep it. But it being modified and then not being used, I would go with what everyone says " Forget it and enjoy the GT650".

Whats the story on the Honda Eterno? It looks to be in good condition, but just dusty. I would recommend you to sell the Machismo and get the Eterno fixed. It's a rare scooter.
The Eterno is my father's old scooter not being used anymore as it's non electric start and manual transmission, both of which these days are extremely out of fashion in today's scooters.
Old 9th November 2022, 18:46   #11
BHPian

Honestly, Iam interested in both machines provided they are road legal.
Old 9th August 2024, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike is powered by the infamous AVL engine.
I was a revolutionary engine for RE at that time.

Quote:
does it make sense to splurge a third time on the bike, especially given it is non self start and non disc brake in this day and age?
I'll go against the popular opinion here and say "Restore it" (if you've not sold it)

Quote:
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'll take the call soon based on the monetary requirements of the machine and if I really have that much passion for this bike.
Bullet's do have good value in the used market. This engine has the gearbox all old Enfields needed. 5 Speed with LHS shifter. The problem was the alloy cylinder. You can easily swap the block, piston and head with that of an old CI engine. I've seen someone do it because he couldn't get spares of the AVL. Converting to CI will attract all the diehard CI enthusiasts.
Old 10th August 2024, 09:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
As you might have guessed from the topic, I’m in a conundrum regarding my bike which has been passed onto me by my uncle as he stopped using it. It has run about 30k km and is in a relatively poor condition right now(exhibit 3).

The bike is powered by the infamous AVL engine.
I’ve asked around and this time restoration and modification should easily cost north of 30k INR and I’ve a scrambler or bobber look in mind.

Ignoring the emotional value which I don’t have a lot of with the bike, does it make sense to splurge a third time on the bike, especially given it is non self start and non disc brake in this day and age?

What do you all think?
There is nothing infamous about the AVL.engines. They were clattery but brilliant engines (called water pumps because of the look of the top end, which was admittedly ugly).

Depends what you mean by splurge and what the present condition is (these are old photos). What is working, what is not. Never mind what additional you want to do to it or how you want it to look (those alloy wheels are ghastly man, and scream Karol Bagh).

An additional beater with character and the natural patina of age is always a welcome idea.

If it is running, then just get the original spoked wheels back on, replace whatever is worn out/not working, put a new battery, new tyres, new oil, a full service and wash and polish, and ride it as she is.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I just saw Exhibit 3. She is good to go. Just needs a good wash. The rear tyre looks good too (replace the front) and you have the correct wheels. Check the cables, all bulbs, chain, brake pads, spark plug, clutch, and replace what is needed. Replace oil and air filters. Repack gearbox with grease oil mix.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th August 2024 at 10:13.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks