Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 22:15   #1
BHPian

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review

Prelude

An adrift rumor in campus was some olives were garnering undue attention from the ‘other side’ when they went about tromping their bikes, this was unacceptable!! I mean if jumping from helo’s, getting cramped into rakshaaks and being ridden in ambulances didn’t pump our adrenaline enough the above most definitely did, we needed to make an impact and we needed to do it fast so we got ‘Chetaks’ and them all in maroon.

Not sure how much impressing I managed with the ‘other side’ but 6 years of ownership saw me and my chetak go from Udhampur to Kohima, Jodhpur to Bangalore and once in spirit of adventure I took my newlywed wife from Bangalore to Guwahati. The scooter stood test of time and so did my marriage thanks to almighty!! Oh once we 5 buds rode our respective chetaks from New Delhi to Thimphu!! That was something indeed.

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-chetak.jpg

In test of time I was on deputation in Israel when my superior one Col Benny G introduced me to world of motorcycling, Col G had two mint conditioned Triumph Tigers, one of which he graciously lend to me for my entire period of deputation, in no time myself, my wife, Col G and Mrs Capt G became biker buddies. I vowed to get myself a Triumph one day but in hustle bustle of uniform life that followed those vows remained a distant dream.

PS (I motorcycled entire Israel and then Jordan on the Tiger, how I managed to enter Jordan was another story but that’s classified!!, even for the Jordanians !!)

Name:  tt.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  34.9 KB

Revisiting my vow’s

The day I hanged uniform for good I was all set to go for the Tiger, by now Triumph had made good in India. I had a few buddies with Triumph’s who sang praises like a canary. But then a medical complication happened, surgery followed, lengthy recuperation followed which killed the enthusiasm of becoming a biker with several restrictions on plate and hawkeyed wife keeping tabs. The best thing of the recuperation process was ‘CYCLING’ (last week we 7 pals returned cycling 2210 kms across Northeast India, more on that when I pen my travelogue).

As recuperation ended my wild travel fantasies returned from hibernation and I was all set to get wild pair of wheels, post much research and guidance from knowledgeable members on this forum the Isuzu Highlander was shortlisted, I paid the deposit and was awaiting delivery when one of my ex CO’s from maroons came visiting, post retirement he had consumed his life for welfare of veterans and as we got talking the financial crunch he was facing came evident, did some pondering and went back and forth over more pondering and cancelled the Isuzu deal (with deep appreciation I must say the dealer not only returned my deposit money but gave me cheque of 3k for veteran welfare!!) with the money for the vehicle now put to good use in able hands I got to cycling, cycling bought back the old flavor for two wheels and after a good time the brain began playing mischief so the below.

The Xpluse Story

It was clear whatever two-wheeler I’d get would be second fiddle to cycling so Triumph option was shot down. I have disdain for Royal Enfield and its brethren, albeit two of my seniors are avid RE riders, even in prime of their career they dumped official paraphernalia travelling to work and around on RE’s, when bike predicament was shared with them, they tried their best to sway me towards the Himalayan and if not for my diabolic disdain the Himalayan would have graced my garage as it’s a very competent machine

The usual suspects and unusual super ‘hero’ (bike had to be an Indian brand)

Bajaj Dominar 400 – If Chetak could travel pan India in 90’s of India then Dominar could even go to the moon I thought after a patient ear to the sublime explanation by the Sales guy, didn’t understand a word but loved the test ride, the bike fit perfect to my frame, wife hated the pillion seat though. Was keen on it but devil is in the numbers, the sales of the bike didn’t impress me much plus the Sales rep was honest enough to tell finding good hands in town and district for running maintenance was a task. Kept this option on hold

Mahindra Mojo – Chances of me encountering a Yeti in the Himalaya’s are more then scouting an operating dealership.

Jawa & Yezdi – found them half-baked attempts made to dent RE market, I might be wrong but i didn’t really find them worth the ask in monetary terms.

TVS Sadle – only good thing coming from the TVS dealership was the sales rep telling me to check out the Xpluse as he’d just quit Hero dealership coming to TVS in search of greener pastures!!

Hero Xpluse - From Triumph to Isuzu still has some ring to ears but from there to Hero definitely doesn’t, didn’t and won’t but I am a telling the tale, the 200 2V was disappointment as it just didn’t ring the bells of possible ownership, here I must thank the sales rep who requested me to hang around for the 2004V which was as per him free of all the niggles of the 2V and to be launched just on the anvil. That tip did me world of good.

The Xpulse
No drama, no hoopla. The dealer gave a date, the bike arrived on the date, I took the delivery rode it to a temple of choice, took almighty’s blessings and hail marry.

Its been 4k kms of riding experience and my words of wisdom are

The Goods

Smooth, Nuisance free engine – as preparation rep for our Northeast cycling sojourn we 4 buddies cycled over 300kms every weekend alternating at every 150km mark, the Xpluse came as the alternate transport and after good amount of time spent on it, the bike came across as fuss free and smooth rider, has a good low grunt (albeit the engine stalls at very low speed), a decent mid-range and satisfactory high pitch (my go to speed in the hills and around is 70kmph)

Competent Braking - the odd fools come from every direction unannounced and in some urgent braking scenarios the bike gave competent response, on one occasion I had to hard brake on wet roads in crazy mountain rain’s, but it worked well.

Easy on pockets – now my go to speed is 70kmph so I get a good 52kmpl, I have heard some have managed better and some poorer but mean stands at 45-48kmpl, so I guess its borderline frugal. Maybe in today’s world anything below 50kmpl is crime but that’s what one pays in name of enthusiasm by cutting corners elsewhere. Spares are easy on pockets too.

Headache free service – one good thing from Hero stable is sans drama service, if it works well in a hilly region of North India, I assume it would be better in metro’s and bigger cities, I also see a good number of models on road, so I assume the service part has been sorted by the manufacturer.

Good built – For a dirt bike the calling is good, the body parts don’t shake when you rough it out, holds well with nothing comes falling in harness post a ride in the hills, the machine is good fitment for purpose.

Head turner – in years to come Xpulse will be discussed by many at length. It’s a good bike, something one would like to be regularly riding sans any worries.

The Not So Goods

Headlight – Pathetic, the throw is horrible the reach is sad and it’s like Madam Currie walking down the stairs with a candle situation in the nights, I changed them with Nighteye. (Was changed by a member from cycling gang who runs auto accessories store, so I don’t know specifications but the throw and illumination is powerful and good)

The missing middle stand – just as road cycles don’t have a side stand, I was told dirt bikes don’t have a middle one, now I have dropped my road bike many times thanks to being forgetful about the missing stand here I remind myself daily that it’s no use shaking my leg underneath the bike searching for the middle stand. Not a deal braker probably the competition does the same however taking the bike out from tough spots requires strength.

Where’s neutral – another constant niggle is juggling to find the neutral. It’s tiring, irritating and at times unnerving, we are now in 2022, Cochin Ship Yard constructed INS Vikrant and Hero motors are still struggling to make a bike which sits highest in asking to get correct neutral. Pretty sad state of affairs from their engineering, however the local mechanic says he will get that sorted soon

The electronics display – I am too old and fussy for downloading an app and making amends considering all I want is simple display but that’s what one gets today in name of technology, the toggle switches on the display panel are outright cheap plastic and could have been better, however the illumination of the display unit is good and not imposingly bright. I am not sure what the front plastic visor does as it’s just a cosmetic feature at best.

The Pillion comfort saga – coming from saddle of a road cycle absolutely anything with cushion is heaven but pillions who’d join me found the seat lacking comfort over say 50odd kms, probably a cushion seat cover will resolve the issue

Some odd pockets - In last two pics i have marked them areas where one needs to put an effort to clean, normally after ride in rains water stagnates in those nooks and crannies and i have punched a hole beneath for water to flow out

Recommendation – Definite Yes
Its pocket friendly at asking price of 1.67lacs which is a lac or so cheaper than the Himalayan and more coffers v/s the Duke 390 adventure or Suzuki Vstrom 250, the saving in buying cost are substantial.

Its nimble to ride, doesn’t cause stress and doesn’t need calculus whilst overtaking, has good grip with Tyres and competent braking mechanism, fitment to purpose sake it’s a very good attempt from Hero and I think it will get them good returns, I have read a bigger version with higher engine capacity is coming soon so could be something worth waiting.

Hero motors service is headache free; I have heard tales of trouble from Bajaj and TVS owners and I have had wonderful experience so far with Hero motors. Maybe they learnt it right from the Japanese.

Not looking at any cosmetic changes barring a better seat cover or seat itself, a long ride to national capital is on anvil so some more biking will happen. Till then it’s all roger.

No interesting anecdotes here but plenty on the cycling sojourn of North East which hopefully will pen down soon and trust would be a good read as we had lots of fun and blast cycling in utmost treacherous conditions questioning our preparation apparatus of 4 odd months, as they say ‘Man proposes God disposes’!!

Some parting pics
Attached Thumbnails
I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0126.jpg  

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0127.jpg  

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0130.jpg  

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0133.jpg  

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0131.jpg  

I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img_e0132.jpg  

tatafanatic is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 09:28   #2
BHPian

re: I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review

Congratulations tatafanatic. I got a Xpulse a month back and have ridden it for around 1600kms. I found the engine gruff after prolonged runs of around 100kms at a stretch. First service is done. Seems you are not a RE fanboy, neither am I, but my RE Thunderbird at 1,21,000kms runs smoother. The seat is definitely a pain point on long rides, but cannot play around with cushioning since at 5'8 i manage to get 50% of my feet on the ground. Have a 3000kms trip lined up mid-october, will have to see how it fares.
Attached Thumbnails
I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review-img20220925063921.jpg  

SidharthaN is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 09:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review

Loved the read. Looking forward to the logs. Did i miss your introduction on the forum somewhere sir?

I am looking forward to the Xpulse 400.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 11:34   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: I got Xpulsed | Hero XPulse 200 Review

I don't even read motorcycle reviews, but made it a point to read yours as I remembered your gifted writing style from the Cycling & Breakfast thread (Cycling In Mumbai | Breakfast Special).

Loved it, thanks for the read . Will go to our homepage this week. Ride safe, brother.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 09:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic thread tatafanatic. The X Pulse is truly an outstanding machine - in fact, I can’t wait to see what they make of the 300 / 400 cc version of the X Pulse. Hopefully they’ll manage to keep the weight in check which should make it an incredible machine for off roading with that extra punch of grunt on highways.

Wish you many happy motorcycling miles on this beautiful steed and can’t wait to read your North Eastern cycling sojourn as well.

I love your writing and look forward to reading more from your varied adventures.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 17:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

A captivating read, as usual
Your exploits with the Chetak leave me aghast! Not that the other areas are anything lesser.
From an ex Bajaj Super rider, Respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
1. The scooter stood test of time and so did my marriage thanks to almighty!!
2. one Col Benny G introduced me to world of motorcycling
Attachment 2361646
1. This is the perfect pre-nuptial "fanatic" road test. If a couple can successfully complete this, they can be a team for the rest of their lives.

2. Never knew that one Col Benny G was a biker!
Your history is quite wide and reaches the highest echelons. Every time I read any of your anecdotes or moments of history, I stand in awe.
Looking at the pics of that Tiger, I am instantly reminded of the Tiger Sport 660.

Quote:
went back and forth over more pondering and cancelled the Isuzu deal
That requires selflessness and grit of a different league altogether. Hats Off.
But why am I surprised

Quote:
1. Headlight
2. The missing middle stand
3. Where’s neutral
4. I am not sure what the front plastic visor does as it’s just a cosmetic feature at best.
5. probably a cushion seat cover will resolve the issue
6. Some odd pockets
1. It looks small and unfortunately the results are in line with the majority of LED units on today's two wheelers.
2. The center stand would lower the ground clearance hence they would've skipped it but would've been good as an option.
3. Try switching off the engine and then slotting it in neutral. I had noticed this behaviour on a Himalayan/Dominar(can't recall exactly) but could be specific to that unit itself.
4. Seems more of an instrument panel shield.
5. Seems like the seat cushion is soft hence it sags? If so then probably the seat from the earlier Rally Kit could work but no experience on that.
6. Good tip, a friend might get one in a couple of months, I will do the needful along with the lighting.

I took a test ride of the XPulse 200 4V and second your inputs. Two factors I would like to mention are :
- Brilliant suspension : The stretch where I barely manage 20kmph on the Access125 to avoid wrecking the suspension over a mix of potholes and nasty road joints, I was coasting along at 50-55kmph on the XPulse and didn't even realise it.
- Kick Starter : A boon for folks who have to keep it parked for weeks at a stretch.

Quote:
No interesting anecdotes here but plenty on the cycling sojourn of North East
Eagerly waiting for it.

Last edited by shancz : 27th September 2022 at 17:23. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 10:09   #7
BHPian

Good one Sir! Enjoyed reading the write up.

I feel sometimes its all about perspective. You need a light motorcycle that can handle some rough roads and do the job well without too much of pampering - The xpulse fits the bill.

Most of the issues that people have with the Xpulse as a tourer is when the comparison is made with other motorcycles from a different segment and / or price category.
theqca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:00   #8

Felt like I was reading a novel. Ended so quick and I wanted to read more. Lovely! Cheers to more kms on your Xpulse. As a current Himalayan owner wanting to push the bike more off the road, am now itching to get an Xpulse too. My subconscious has me weighing out on the Himi-450 that's incoming 2023. Looking to hear more from your Xpulse experiences.
thefastelephant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:14   #9
BHPian

Lovely write-up! You sire, should write a book on your experiences and am sure it'll make an interesting/ exciting read!

Aside, glad you gave the Himalayan a miss
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:24   #10
BHPian

@SidharthaN - Thanks for your message, i trust you have a good long run as the Xpluse is a good machine, on the seat i was told about the rally kit but sadly where i stay it's still not been introduced. As a cyclist i am kind of OK about the seat but it could have been better for sure.
On RE i think they milked national sentiment and produced some horrible bikes one of which i had owned for three years (RE Classic 350), however on a friends 2022 Interceptor i did feel they have made amends.

@ Red Liner - Thanks for your words, i too would have liked to have a Xpulse 400 but well 200 is doing a fine job as of now.

@ GTO - Thanks sir, hopefully November will allow me one more tour of Mumbai and hopefully will visit 'Veg' Restaurants folks had mentioned as must visit in my post reply's.

@ Axe77 - Thanks, hopefully over weekend i will be able to pen the NE travelogue, it should do justice to the readers as they invest time to read hence i am taking some time writing.

@ Shancz - well read dear pal, yes Beny G traveled up traveled fast. I have read your reply in detail and i found Xpluse an excellent attempt from Hero albeit there are some niggles, from Spelndor to Xpulse is good change in mindset for them

@ theqca - does that name translate why you became a CA !! but it did remind me to meet mine to get some tax issues sorted yes Xpulse fits bill as its an excellent proposition in offering, however if manufacturer would have addressed some issues like the seat it would complement with other ergonomics which indeed make it a competent tourer, you know years ago they made a Rakshaak which could take bullets but had no power steering, the choicest of bad words the driver used to give made many of my days

Last edited by tatafanatic : 28th September 2022 at 13:26.
tatafanatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Tatafanatic on the centre stand you get that as an accessory from Hero themselves. I got it fitted before the wheels rolled out of the showroom. It's a boon to have one, to lube the chain, to get the bike washed properly, to keep it stable while parked, and a lot other advantages you will be aware of.
The side stand is another pain point. It is extremely flimsy with no rigidity. You can get an aftermarket shoe for the stand but don't know if it will improve the situation. Check with your hero dealer or get it ordered from them.
SidharthaN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:22   #12
BHPian

Thanks for such a short and precise review. Enjoyed reading it, especially the classified Jordan part.

Recently, got an opportunity to observe a fellow rider's Xpluse perform in Spiti valley. Was supremely impressed by the way it handled all types of roads. It was able to keep up with all other higher capacity bikes all the time. And on bad roads, it was leading almost all the time.

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles on it!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:32   #13
BHPian

Brilliant write up for an equally brilliant piece of machine. I have booked the limited rally edition and the constant curiosity for a reliable review made me stumble upon this thread. I have researched extensively before booking about the engine characteristics and dynamics and found out that this motorcycle is purely made for off-road trail riding and to go places where the roads are non-existent, found out its an absolute joy to live with, in such scenarios. It is not a touring bike as most of the folk want it to be, but a pocket-friendly underrated purpose built off-road beast. A brilliant second motorcycle to own for weekend fun. A good saddling friendly handlebar is all it needs, thats it.

I hope my Xpulse gets delivered soon since I can't wait to lay my hands on this 2 wheeled SUV and enjoy some serious off-road trails around town.

Last edited by Travelling_Monk : 28th September 2022 at 16:36.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 17:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely written! I have had an eye on this machine since long and the colour combination that you have looks fab (it was on my radar since the day they launched it!). I do get the urge to splurge on this machine time and again on this bike, but then managing the finances takes time, especially when your better half has a recently brought a new car. Congratulations on your bike and wishing you many happy kilometers with it. Hero service as you said is cheap and available everywhere so it's going to be easy for you, in that sense.

How is the long term riding comfort? Did you do any long rides on it? Also, have you thought of adding more cushioning or changing the contours of the seat in any way at any reputed car and bike upholstery shop?
Old 29th September 2022, 00:38   #15
BHPian

Thanks Sir for sharing your experience in your unique style. Looking forward to reading more on your Jordan Sojourn.

Xpulse had the right package from day 1, it lacked in refinement and power. I recall one TBhpian plonking a ZMA engine in the newly launched Xpulse.

Wishing your many safe miles. And looking forward for more travelogues.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed