Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 20:34   #1
BHPian

Suggestions for a scooter for my wife

Hi Team

I am looking to buy a new scooter and need your suggestions.

Usage
Primarily for dropping and picking up our kid from school (either by me when available or my wife when I'm at office) and short runs for groceries and stuff. So mileage will be low.

Requirements
  • Should be light and easy to handle for ladies
  • Something that's reliable and low-maintenance
  • Good service and spare parts availability
  • Power is not important

I was mainly considering the options from TVS stable (but open to other suggestions). While I liked Jupiter overall, I was also looking at Scooty Pep and Zest as lighter options. I couldn't get a test ride vehicle so I'm not sure how different is the riding experience across these vehicles. I would appreciate some feedback on these or other suggestions.
JonSnow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:51   #2
BHPian

re: Suggestions for a scooter for my wife

Ather.
Light and manoeuvrable. Has a reverse function as well.
Ather has mostly been very reliable,
and service etc are good in metros.
abtyagi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 21:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi Team

I was mainly considering the options from TVS stable (but open to other suggestions). While I liked Jupiter overall, I was also looking at Scooty Pep and Zest as lighter options. I couldn't get a test ride vehicle so I'm not sure how different is the riding experience across these vehicles. I would appreciate some feedback on these or other suggestions.
In TVS, you can either go for Jupiter(larger and more power and speed 50-60kmph) or Scooty if your usage is going to be very low(only good for speeds under 40kmph)

I don't think electric will justify your use case so you can instead save some bucks. But if price is not an issue, look for TVS iQube, seems similar to Jupiter and my neighbour uses it for runs around 20kms as well.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 12th September 2022 at 21:40.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

As a person who's hunting (and still in research) for a good scooter for more than a year, here's my take:
Quote:
Usage
Primarily for dropping and picking up our kid from school (either by me when available or my wife when I'm at office) and short runs for groceries and stuff. So mileage will be low
Same as our requirements

Quote:
Should be light and easy to handle for ladies
Mostly Scooty Pep/Zest/Yamaha RayZR/Pleasure/Access 125 with former 3 of them weighing less than 100 Kg & latter 2 a little over 100 Kg

Quote:
Something that's reliable and low-maintenance
Scooters from Jap stable fits this bill

Quote:
Good service and spare parts availability
Hailing from Chennai, we find Honda/Hero/Suzuki/Yamaha/TVS to be competent in this requirement

Quote:
Power is not important
In the order of Scooty Pep/Pleasure/Zest/Yamaha/Suzuki

So overall, I would say, Scooty or Pleasure fits the bill (anyday Jap 110CC is preferred over Zest) as it's also most economic option; considering Scooty pep weighs the least & having a long history of lineage, Pleasure having the roots to Japanese stable will be my preference; if a little power & mileage have to be considered, then Access 125 will be my choice; however if technology & mileage filters are applied in addition, Yamaha RayZR will be my choice at the time of writing this.

From my observation with any Indian products (TVS to Bajaj to even Royal Enfield), all of them lack the Japanese refinement in engine, a notch inferior in engineering & that extra notch in overall quality. Considering Japanese & Western world (EU/US), the Japanese quality + price + ownership cost is unbeatable; considering Japanese & other Asian (Korean/Chinese), the quality + VFM factor is unbeatable. This is my primary reason for me to always incline towards Japanese engineering.

Last edited by aargee : 13th September 2022 at 10:21.
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try out the Zest 110 which should be optimal for your needs but since I haven't tried it myself I can't comment further.

The Access feels lighter than competition but marginally so. I am expecting the same from Activa and Jupiter but that's more of a personal preference.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team

I am looking to buy a new scooter and need your suggestions.

I was mainly considering the options from TVS stable (but open to other suggestions).
As you mentioned TVS is your preference I would recommend Zest. Outside TVS I would recommend Pleasure.

IMO both are light weight and believe would satisfy your requirements.

Thanks
M-Roc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:14   #7
BHPian

Since the usage is going to be less, suggest buying a used Scooty pep plus. You should be able to find one easily. Why putdown more money for a new one if the usage is going to be very less.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for a scooter for my wife

I have TVS Zest (110cc) for last 6 years and it has been pretty reliable with no issues so far. I can easily approach speeds of 60-70kmph, the power to weight ratio is good as the scooter is lighter. It can pull two people easily. Gives mileage of 40-45kmph. Other than regular servicing once a year (usage is around 3-4k per year), no other issues so far (touchwood).

Pep+ is even lighter than Zest and is also bit shorter. If the person is 5'2" or below, Pep+ might be better.
sanchari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:58   #9
BHPian

Stick to Honda (Activa / Dio) which ever fits your needs. You will be happy in the long run.

The other brands do produce good vehicles, but the ease of availability of spares for a 2 wheeler makes the difference.

I had been using a 2010 Activa, without any issues. All spares are readily available often. Most of the mechanics do know how to fix an activa, so zero issues from the service side too.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 13:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

No mention of looks in the requirements? If you ask me, I have finalized the Yamaha Fascino 125 Hybrid for her for this exact purpose (if/when required). This will probably be my last ICE scooter so choosing accordingly. This shortlist:

Pros include:
* Lightest weight (only 99kg, only Scooty Pep Plus is lighter)
* Good pickup (Always nice to have)
* Great mileage (reduces the number of times we need to visit a petrol pump)
* Great looks (makes the Home Ministry approval process easier)
* Starter Motor Generator (listen carefully for khachkhachkhach^n sounds in your vicinity. It is ALWAYS an Activa. Don't want that headache)
Old 13th September 2022, 13:42   #11
BANNED

IMO, please avoid TVS, I have ridden my friends Jupiter extensively. Though the scooter's engine was as smooth as Honda in the beginning, after 3-4 services the engine sounds thrashy and there are vibrations. Not sure if it is the TVS service center but I have seen some owners reporting the same with their Apache in YouTube.

But the 15 year old first gen Activa engine in my house is still butter smooth and we recently did FC.

So, please consider Japanese engines, the Activa and Access are proven models, even Dio might be a good option though it is old now. Fascino is the best option considering the lightweight and good design, but I always felt Yamaha engines to be little behind Honda and Suzuki in refinement. Check out the avenis as well it comes with attractive colours and looks modern.
tarmacnaut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 14:28   #12
BHPian

My wife had the same requirement. Her school is less than 1km and other errands within 5km radius. Bought a used scooty pep plus. It is lightweight and low speed, perfectly suits ladies. Has a good enough underseat space and several hooks to hang the bags.

Refinement is not so good but for her usage the engine does not even reach operating temperature before the destination arrives.

And maintenance is quite cheap. Did not ever check mileage. Overall its value for money.

One important feature is that it has electronic/automatic choke. So no starting problems even in the cold mornings.

Last edited by fordday : 13th September 2022 at 14:31. Reason: added info
fordday is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 14:41   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

The Yamaha Ray has the best lightweight balanced scooty-type feeling. Take a test ride of it vs other lightweight scooters and decide for yourself. I am sure you will also love the Ray
Old 13th September 2022, 20:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Since the usage is going to be less, suggest buying a used Scooty pep plus. You should be able to find one easily.
That was the initial plan but it's been surprisingly difficult to find a decent used scooter. So finally decided to buy a new one instead.
Old 13th September 2022, 23:22   #15
BHPian

I also searching for a light weight scooter for my wife for her short trips to school. You may also check out EVs like Hero Optima and Ampere Magnus. One advantage with these EVs is that the battery is portable and can be charged at Home. Hero Optima dual battery will give a range of about 100 kms on single charge, which as per my usage would last 15-16 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks